: NAV Repair - My $.02

baleman
06-15-12, 08:59 PM
Ok, so let me begin by saying I searched the forum and found a thread with someone having their nav unit repaired by SPECMO.

So I contacted SPECMO and indeed they said they could repair it. Now the only problem my unit had was read error on the NAV disk player. I stated this and shipped to them along with my VIN, etc.

Their service department called me stating that the drive component needed to be replaced, etc. cost $850.00. That is the cost of one of their re-furbished units, so I declined and had it shipped back. At this point I am considering getting a USB unit from E-bay, called my dealer and they would hook me up on programming (for a fee of-course), so I start looking and found a couple of units at a reasonable price (~750 - shipped). I searched again this forum to see if there was any other place I could have them take a look, I mean really $850? I googled until I found this site http://gmcnav.com/. I inquired and got a quick response and a ballpark estimate based on the symptoms. To my surprise, they said they could replace the NAV player for $249.00 + shipping, I started looking into the company (due diligence), once satisfied no red flags, no matter how much googlefoo I used, I sent the unit for repair.

I got the unit back today, installed and all is well, very nice to have my NAV back and for the price, I had to share this with you all, This was my second NAV unit (dealer replaced 1st one under warranty) and they are crappy quality so it's nice to be able to keep the factory look at a reasonable repair cost.

Summary: SPECMO (NO) :thehand: - GMCNAV.COM (YES) :thumbsup:

evois
06-15-12, 10:50 PM
Nice to know

hcvone
06-16-12, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the info

PeteKT
06-17-12, 01:03 PM
Thanks for sharing

mr69vett
06-18-12, 09:26 PM
Very interesting, I think i willhave to keep that site you listed in my little black book! I just got my EXt back on Friday, they called eariler in the week and said my new unit was in and ready to be installed. It was under the 90 day warrenty so I lucked out. Hope I will never have to use that site but if I ever have to get it fixed sounds like a winner! thanks for the info!

Dave