: Saying goodbye to my 2005 STS4 1SG :(

05_STSV8
06-15-12, 03:51 PM
I have finally decided to say goodbye to my 2005 Black Raven / Black STS4 1SG. I must say I have enjoyed driving this car more than any other vehicle I've ever owned, but other than loving the car itself, I have had a horrible experience and doubt I will ever own a Cadillac again. I will miss it greatly though.

I work at an automotive group and got this as a trade-in at one of our dealerships. The previous owner was an elderly lady who had the vehicle serviced at Cadillac for every single service it required (or was recommended). She also paid for a full detail every few months. The car was in pristine condition when I picked it up with 72,000 miles.

Here is the timeline of issues I've been through:

I took delivery of the car with no power steering.

My work replaced the steering pump, as Cadillac said that was the issue. It wasn't...
My work then replaced the steering rack.
I informed them then that the transmission was really rough, so they paid for a transmission software update.
Weeks later, my traction control came on every time I made a right turn. The driver's side front Hub assembly was bad. The dealership paid to replace that. (They took care of me for sure.)
The trunk proximity sensor stopped working around this time also.

So I drove for the next 20K miles with no issues, until I opened my mouth and told a friend that the car was great and I haven't had any issues since the initial problems.

I just hit 98K and I noticed some oil drips on my driveway, so I had a technician put it on the lift and boy was I in for a surprise. It was a mess...

Driver's Side valve cover gasket was leaking oil.
Pass Side valve cover gasket was leaking oil. (I had him fix the gaskets and replace the plugs)
Rear Main Seal is leaking
Front Pinion Seal is leaking
Driver's Side front strut (magnetic) is leaking
Pass Side front strut (magnetic) is leaking

Since we put it on the lift, one of the TPMS sensors has also failed and reads: "Service TPMS Monitor."

Needless to say, I've had enough. That's a pretty bad track record for 25,000 miles of driving and I don't want to have to worry about what goes next.

curtc
06-15-12, 06:02 PM
That is what extended warranties are for man....Just saved me a $1,000, got the car 3 weeks ago, took her in for a rear diff drain/refill at 73k, turns out both rear axle seals and the rear pinion are leaking, also slow leak from the water pump....$1,000 job cost me $100...All of what you mentioned is covered on my car until 107k...$60k car and you didn't think anything would ever go wrong???

scott9001
06-15-12, 06:17 PM
yeah well you cant drive for free man! just fix the leaks and drive on a couple thousand dollars compared to a new car? its your choice but if your not making payments on it whats a few bills towards fixing it?

EChas3
06-15-12, 07:19 PM
In a general sense, extended warranties make money for the sellers. Some Cadillacs make up for a whole bunch of other cars.

My wife's car has had a lot fewer claims than mine but I still expect her to break even. I'm already ahead with 16 months & 20,000 miles to go.

EChas3
06-15-12, 07:20 PM
Enjoy your next car.

05_STSV8
06-15-12, 08:41 PM
I Definitely regret not buying an extended warranty, but you know what they say about hindsight...
I've considered fixing it, but I read someone elses post on this forum that replaced the rear main and a pinion seal and they were charged for something like 27 hours labor. With the combined cost of the struts / labor, isn't that approaching a $5,000 bill?

curtc
06-15-12, 09:01 PM
My rear axle seals and rear pinion were just done for $500...for that kind of money I'd just buy a new differential...

Pjazz
06-16-12, 01:02 AM
Bye...

sztolcaddy
06-24-12, 07:17 PM
I had replaced rear differential assembly in STS v8 05 cause I heard whining around 35 mph and stalling a bit before picking up the gear, thank god I have extended warranty cause only the part was more than $2000.0.

mckellyb
06-25-12, 10:12 AM
My car had an extended warranty on it, and the PO got use out of it, but they freaked out when I presented oil change documentation. The argument they made was you HAVE TO CHANGE THE OIL EVERY 3K MILES.

No...no you don't.

I blew it off. Would have covered the car for about 15 months & 17K miles. I'm within a tank of fuel of 100K miles, so I'm not at all concerned at this point.

I hope I didn't just curse myself....

EChas3
06-25-12, 10:35 PM
The owners manual is a binding document. If you comply with the recommended service, warranties must pay. Glad to hear you have had no need.