: Sound is gone. DVD, NAV, Radio, CD...Help!

FoD
06-15-12, 04:15 PM
Yesterday, everything was fine. The radio played fine, sounded as good as a Bose system can. Today, nothing. Everything lights up, still have full control over everything, just no sound at all. DVD makes sounds upon startup, Radio comes on... Power button works by pressing, but volume does not go up/down.

There is nothing on the fuse block that says Radio (I was thinking maybe the Bose Amp blew a fuse). Where is everything located? I located the two bricks in the trunk...what are these? If I don't have to, I don't want to take the rear panel off. What is under this, other than the sub and XM box?

Thanks.

darkman
06-15-12, 05:42 PM
The Service Manual indicates a 10a Audio fuse in the Left Rear fuse block. The Owner's Manual, in describing the Driver's side rear fuse block, lists a "J Case" designated as being for the Amplifier- I gather (but do not know) that this is a fuse device that looks like a relay. Also see attached.

FoD
06-15-12, 06:26 PM
darkman-

Helpful as always, thank you. I found the 10A audio fuse...not blown. :rant2: I'll keep looking and testing other elements...but a trip to the Cadillac Dealership is in my future I believe.

etcts-v
06-15-12, 07:30 PM
I believe there are two fuses, the 10A audio fuse is just for the head unit and there is another one called AMP which is a 30A fuse. If I remember correctly they are both in the driver side fuse box in front of the rear seat.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-15-12, 09:20 PM
Hope that the second fuse mentioned by etcts-v turned out to be the cause; otherwise, keep us posted if you decide to visit your dealership and let us know if we can look into anything further for you.
Regards,
Sarah (Assisting Katie)
Cadillac Customer Service

Prentice
06-16-12, 08:57 AM
My radio went out completely, I checked my radio fuse and it was bad so i replaced it and it came back on but no sounds or door chimes. I
checked my amp fuse it was bad, I replaced it and as soon as I did it would pop. Ended up being my amp, replaced it and all is well.

FoD
06-16-12, 09:37 AM
Haven't checked the AMP fuse yet...I'll update when I do. Prentice, how much did the replacement amp run you? I have some amps laying around my house...wonder if I could integrate it if mine is dead.

FoD
06-16-12, 11:02 AM
Amp fuse is intact. :(

Prentice
06-16-12, 10:11 PM
My amp was nearly $600 list price. Does your door chime work?

etcts-v
06-18-12, 04:53 PM
If you're going to replace the amp I would check e-bay. When I put a new system in my car I think my stock Bose one sold on there for like $40.

Unfortunately you can't integrate a non factory one because the Bose system uses a different impedance than any aftermarket system, you would blow the stock speakers. You could pull everything and do all aftermarket which is the route I went.

FoD
06-18-12, 04:58 PM
That is most likely the route I will go. Bose speakers are junk. Thanks for all the help people.

sssnake
06-20-12, 01:20 AM
If you're going to replace the amp I would check e-bay. When I put a new system in my car I think my stock Bose one sold on there for like $40.

Unfortunately you can't integrate a non factory one because the Bose system uses a different impedance than any aftermarket system, you would blow the stock speakers. You could pull everything and do all aftermarket which is the route I went.

You just need to make sure the aftermarket amp can handle the impedance of the Bose speakers and you will not blow them (it seems like the sub is 1 ohm but I dont remember the others) However the factory amp provides quite a bit of signal processing that I would want to retain or replace with an aftermarket unit.

This car is a real PIA to get the sound right. There is a huge amount of gain in the midbass freqs that needs to be EQd out or you will be taking a step backwards in terms of sound quality. The factory amp provides some EQ to fix the problem.

etcts-v
06-20-12, 11:28 PM
A good option is the jl audio clean sweep, that's what I used before I replaced everything including the head unit.

However if the amp is shot, it's probably not processing any sound and therefore your screwed either way. The cleansweep or just straight amp would both require the stock amp to process signals as there is no sound output out of the factory head unit itself.

If that's the case your best investment would be to replace the factory heady it, you can resell those nav units on eBay for like $800 which would pay for an aftermarket unit.

etcts-v
06-20-12, 11:34 PM
By the way, if you haven't looked at the Bose speakers you should, they aren't worth keeping, complete crap. I think they run 2 ohm but I could be wrong, not worth trying to save though IMO

darkman
06-20-12, 11:39 PM
Cleveland Pick-a-Part appears to have 2 CTS Bose amps in inventory - price listed as - "call for price".

FoD
06-21-12, 08:25 AM
My sound came back yesterday...I did nothing to remedy it. I still will change out everything. Infinity kappas run 2 ohms...might try those.

sssnake
06-21-12, 06:53 PM
By the way, if you haven't looked at the Bose speakers you should, they aren't worth keeping, complete crap. I think they run 2 ohm but I could be wrong, not worth trying to save though IMO

I'm a hard core audio guy and I can say one thing without a doubt. For the cost per unit it would be tough to beat the Bose. When I pulled my speakers I had them tested on a klippel distortion analyzer and they measured exceptionally well. Having said this I am not a fan of how they tuned the setup but after several years of working on my system I now clearly understand why they made the decisions they made. Shallow mounting depth in the doors, huge midbass gain from the center console, and maximizing trunk space were all drivers in the design and for the cost they handled them pretty (BTW - when I say cost I am referring to Bose's sale price to GM not the horribly inflated prices from GM to us).

You can put in an aftermarket system that is louder and/or has more bass very easily but getting one to sound good while doing this is tough.

sssnake
06-21-12, 07:01 PM
My sound came back yesterday...I did nothing to remedy it. I still will change out everything. Infinity kappas run 2 ohms...might try those.

Not a big fan of the kappas. If u want to go aftermarket on speakers you can use the stock amp to drive an aftermarket amp (with speaker level inputs) and then purchase speakers that work well with the aftermarket amp. This opens up a lot of possibilities and has the advantage of allowing for more output. One more thing to consider is moving the front speakers to the kicks. I have had up to 8" drivers in the kicks without losing legroom. I currently run a very deep 7" that works very well but is a little pricey and requires a separate tweet.

etcts-v
06-21-12, 07:29 PM
I'm a hard core audio guy and I can say one thing without a doubt. For the cost per unit it would be tough to beat the Bose.

You're right about that no doubt, but it still doesn't make them any good especially when compared to what's offered in the aftermarket. My stereo sounded like complete crap before I pulled the stock system, especially the worthless sub which rattled like a tin can. Not to mention the weak EQ in the stock nav system.

Beyond the sound there are so many other options with head units these days, integrated ipod sound & video, bluetooth for phone & sound, way better navigation systems, pandora, voice activated calling, netflix, plugging a hard drive or thumb drive with 1,000's of songs, the list is endless in today's market (way different then the first stereo I had in high school in my geo metro haha)

With that said this is all just my personal opinion as is everything when it comes to audio quality, you can use all the analyzers and sensors you want but in the end it comes down to the ears of the beholder as to what sounds best.

If I had it to do over again, I would have dumped my cash into performance mods first, then stereo and I would have dumped the stock head unit first instead of trying to make it work.

sssnake
06-21-12, 11:01 PM
You're right about that no doubt, but it still doesn't make them any good especially when compared to what's offered in the aftermarket. My stereo sounded like complete crap before I pulled the stock system, especially the worthless sub which rattled like a tin can. Not to mention the weak EQ in the stock nav system.

Beyond the sound there are so many other options with head units these days, integrated ipod sound & video, bluetooth for phone & sound, way better navigation systems, pandora, voice activated calling, netflix, plugging a hard drive or thumb drive with 1,000's of songs, the list is endless in today's market (way different then the first stereo I had in high school in my geo metro haha)

With that said this is all just my personal opinion as is everything when it comes to audio quality, you can use all the analyzers and sensors you want but in the end it comes down to the ears of the beholder as to what sounds best.

If I had it to do over again, I would have dumped my cash into performance mods first, then stereo and I would have dumped the stock head unit first instead of trying to make it work.

Surprisingly the stock 8" tested better than the Alpine 8". The amp runs out of juice long before the sub. Which is amazing for that tiny thing.

The big piece you touched on that is absolutely, 100%, no questions asked correct is the absolute lack of features on the HU. Bluetooth was a deal breaker for me and why I went to an aftermarket HU. I listen to lossless recordings on my iPod as well so the stocker sux there too.

BTW - I know that I am defending the stock system but I agree it is not spectacular at all. The thing that most people ignore is that you can put identical equipment into two different cars (STS vice CTS) and it will sound very different. The car has much more effect on the sound than speakers, amp, or HU ever will. It took me along time to believe this even though I had training that proved it.

BTW - I hope I didn't come off as an ass. It was not my intention. I am just very passionate about audio and this car has been pissing me off for a while now.