: Impressions on Iceolator and Ported TB on 3.6 DI

WRXtranceformed
06-14-12, 08:06 PM
So I finally had the opportunity to have the RX catch can, ported TB and IM spacer installed yesterday. I am going to reserve judgement because I can feel the ECU is still readjusting but I have a lot of positive things to say.

The biggest complaints I have had are the driveability of this car around town between 1500-2500RPM and how it runs out of breath pretty quickly toward redline. Both of these mods basically fixed that...the throttle body gives the car a lot more pep off the line and it seems to rev a little more freely. The spacer gives a noticeable power increase from 2500-4k where it was lacking before and then it pulls much stronger to redline. From a highway punch you can really feel the difference, even after a 1.5 hour drive this morning and another this afternoon.

I think 25wtq gains is a little aggressive...I know what 25wtq gains feel like and this is not it. But I do feel that the stock programming is really holding the car back, so a canned tune might be in order in the near future. The car now seems to hold and find gears a little better as there is more usable power so that is a benefit. For a few hundred bucks, I think these mods are definitely worth it.

I will also say that there wasn't a ton of oil in my intake manifold after 41,000 miles, but I had it cleaned out anyway and it feels good not to have to worry about it anymore :thumbsup: I just wish there were more mods to give this engine a little more power without going all out with a supercharger build...I am not crazy about boosting my daily driver.

Pdabs
06-14-12, 08:53 PM
By the name I'll assume you owned a wrx. Does the cars power even compare to the turbo? Does the cts feel like a slug?

I owned a 2.5rs and still visit nasioc for the OT

WRXtranceformed
06-14-12, 09:11 PM
By the name I'll assume you owned a wrx. Does the cars power even compare to the turbo? Does the cts feel like a slug?

I owned a 2.5rs and still visit nasioc for the OT

Nice. Yeah I had a 284whp WRX and one of the first 2.8L swapped STis in North America (ran out of fuel system @ 565whp). Most of my cars since then have felt like slugs :P

krazienluv10
06-15-12, 12:34 AM
Thats good to hear! Im still waiting patiently for my ported IM to arrive, the wait is horrible ...Im just itching to add some extra power so i can install both spacers and ported IM together. Any chance did u find any bolt on shorty headers? Wondering if a ported TB is really worth it for stated 5hp gain....

WRXtranceformed
06-15-12, 01:11 AM
I haven't looked for any exhaust other than the full Magnaflow...but from what I am reading here it doesn't really seem to produce much gains. Which isn't really surprising. Doesn't really seem worth it for $900+...you might as well just get the mufflers. Nitrous or a supercharger seems to be the best way to get a lot more power out of these engines, I might at some point just settle for a tune to smooth out the craptastic stock map.