: The best sealant for the oil pan gasket

derone
06-14-12, 03:13 PM
For those of you whom have resealed the oil pan, what is the best sealing, longest lasting sealant you used. I've heard of the 'Right stuff' and gorilla snot(weatherstrip glue). Mine needs resealing after ~60k miles and I believe they used RTV on mine the first time. Thanks, I need this soon, as the car is in the operating room now. '00 STS.

Submariner409
06-14-12, 03:25 PM
GM has a special curing (??? gray ??) RTV just for that job. Talk to Chris in Parts at Rippy Cadillac over there >>>>

I'll bet you can find it at a NAPA or Western Auto.

You might want to read through the Northstar rebuild thread by Bill Buttermore - right next to this thread - the sealant is discussed and shown in there.............

bill buttermore
06-14-12, 03:39 PM
I used Permatex Ultra-Grey in a pressurized can. I did not like the consistency, however. It had little bubbles that I think, weaken the bond. I have used Permatex Ultra-Grey in the regular tubes on many oil pans (not N*) and have been pleased with the performance. If I had it to do again, I would use the Ultra-Grey regular but look for a tool to help squeeze the tube to get a nice even bead. There is a lot to seal on a N* case re-seal within the 15 - 20 minute working window of the sealant, and squeezing it all out by hand would be difficult. Steve (eyewonder) used a tool to squeeze his sealant. His thread is on this forum, too. Saga of a naive HG repair

My case reseal is shown on p 24 of my thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/257508-diy-northstar-head-gasket-crankcase-leak-24.html