: Anyone here considered the 13 GT500?

Ste_V_e
06-14-12, 03:35 PM
Just wondering if anybody on the forums is shopping or looking at the 13 GT500?

TriTexan
06-14-12, 04:17 PM
Nope. I have the V Wagon - so there's really no comparison. Plus the Caddy is smoother and more refined. If I wanted a track-day-only car I'd get an Atom or something.

itwepon2
06-14-12, 04:30 PM
Thinking about it. But, it's probably not very good in the snow.

Xaqtly
06-14-12, 04:40 PM
I would probably get a used Z06 before I'd get a GT500, but I am a very performance oriented driver, and I would rather have the superior cornering ability of the Z06 over the GT500. In that vein I'd probably also rather have a ZL1 over a GT500 for the same reason, and for the same reason I got my CTS-V. That magnetic ride control suspension is just amazing in the ZL1.

I like straight line speed and the GT500 is obviously very good at that, but the live axle and the sort of unrefined handling would get on my nerves after a while. I prefer more well rounded cars that can do it all well, like my V wagon. But that's me, I'm just never going to own a car that can't do it all well to some extent.

Darnell
06-14-12, 05:45 PM
I thought about waiting for a 13 GT500, but at the end of the day it is just a Mustang. I ended up with a CTS-V Coupe because it is nasty fast and still turns heads at the valet. If I could have a 13 GT500 for a 6 months while it was still new I'd be up for that, but for me the V has more staying power.

I say this as someone who also owns a 04 Ford Lightning and has similar thoughts when I thought about purchasing a 10+ Camaro.

Kmajecki
06-14-12, 05:47 PM
I had considered it but bought 2011 coupe 3 weeks ago. I just couldn't spend that much on a Mustang. I just hope future offerings from Jaguars' R-series Dont start incorporating that same engine. I believe they currently have a Supercharged 5.0, but a detuned 5.8 would be similar to what gm did with the LSA/LS9..

nynd
06-14-12, 05:57 PM
Stang is nice but I think it gets lost in the sea of other Mustangs. Our V has a little more visibility due to it being a little more different than the normal CTS's on the road. I think the new V will be a sight to see - at least I hope so - lol!

lmurtha1
06-14-12, 08:07 PM
i own both a new gt500 and cts-v coupe. stock for stock, the cts-v has more pleasure in daily driving. its nice to drive on the road and even better on the road course. The shelby does stand out more than the rest of the mustangs IMO, most people who know anything about cars, knows the Shelby is iconic. but i get more looks in my "wifes" cts-v than my shelby its seems like.

SoonerSpeedFreak
06-14-12, 09:00 PM
Just my 2 cents. I dont think anyone here would choose it over a V. Or a Z06. I have never owned a stang. They have had there moments of coolness no doubt. The 2013 is pretty freaking hot. And that motor is the best looking and most HP on the market now. Hands down it's cool. It is no doubt awesome. But the HP war is going balls out right now. Since the 60's there has never been one like this. I can gurantee you we will be seeing 700 HP car's from GM, Ford, and eventually Dodge in the very near future. I have lurked on the Viper forum for over 10 years. Those guys have to be pissed about the new Viper's HP. Even though it's just a number. Cause the viper will clean just about any american car's ass on the track and looks are defiantly exotic. So don't put all of your cash or dreams in any of these car's right now. Including the V. What is hot and cool today probably wont be in 4 years! It's only gonna get better.

94danstang
06-14-12, 09:14 PM
Between my wife and I we have had 4 stangs (two 67's, a 94 GT vert and an 2001 GT vert). I have been driving a stang for about the past 15 or so years. I will say it is going to be strange without a Mustang in the family. I have only had the V about 3 weeks.

As for the 13 stang, I didn't consider it on my short list. I did look at both it and the Camaro at the start of my search, but I really wanted something with 4 doors. I really did try and justify the stang, but at the end of the day, it is really just a Mustang. There are millions of them - I didn't want something everyone and their brother has. I had also rented a few of them over the last few years and never could find a comforatable driving position. They just didn't seem to fit me right. Not to mention the cost - fully loaded it runs about the same (just a little less) than the V. Can't see paying that for a Mustang.

Anyway, long story short, yes I didn't consider it, but it didn't fit my requirements.

Wannago
06-14-12, 09:46 PM
Don't know if anyone's posted this before...good comparison:

http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/camaro/2012/2012-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-vs-2013-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-comparison-test.html

Ste_V_e
06-14-12, 10:17 PM
You guys all make good points. I owned a 12 gt500 with svt pp for about 6 months and it did not put the power down like I wanted. So I traded it in for my V. Seeing the changes that they've made, Especially the 662hp with a full warranty is becoming more appealing. Just really sticky drag radials and I don't think you would need to do much more until the warranty is about to end.

SoCalCTSV
06-15-12, 12:01 AM
Stang is nice but I think it gets lost in the sea of other Mustangs. Our V has a little more visibility due to it being a little more different than the normal CTS's on the road. I think the new V will be a sight to see - at least I hope so - lol!

This!!!!!

WA 2 FST
06-15-12, 02:38 AM
Just sold my '09 GT500 (was a convertible, not a coupe, so keep that in mind) to get an A6 CTS-V sedan. My GT500 made 575rwhp (and not some hack job with a big cam or anything... in fact, it was a conservative tune from an upgraded TVS 2.3 blower that did the trick), so that is on par with the '13 GT500 from a power-production perspective. Only tire that would hook up was a Nitto 555R drag radial. Ok, fine... not a huge compromise. And while I really like the looks of the car, and it didn't give me any problems, it was just not as tractable in day-to-day driving. Live axle in a 4000+lb car wasn't great. Tiny backseat (for those that care), much smaller trunk than CTS, and even the updated interior of the '13 isn't close to the CTS-V.

Now I say all this b/c if I'm being honest and I didn't have my 660+rwhp Z06 in my garage, I would probably have enjoyed the GT500 more. But, like others mentioned above, I would choose a new Z06 over the '13 GT500 if I had to have one car.

Get the V into the 575-600rwhp range (seems fairly easy to do reliably from what I'm reading), and it will take a good driver in a '13 GT500 to beat you...and even then, he will probably have to have some mods to do it. And you will still have a much nicer car.

Crystal Red CTS-V
06-15-12, 10:16 AM
Considering replacing my "reliable" '07 Honda Accord with its auto transmission that failed (under warranty) at only 41K miles with a GT500. I think it would compliment the Z06 and V in the garage. Waiting until the fever dies down and see what kind of deals are out there. Would never replace either the V or the Z06 with the GT500, however.

Chrispy
06-15-12, 11:33 AM
They've gone 9s already in the quarter...Awesome drivetrain and platform but still a Mustang. I much prefer my V Wagon. :)

http://youtu.be/QHxEUA0W7nQ

Cheers,
Chris

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-15-12, 03:13 PM
Happy to see all the Cadillac appreciation on this thread! Thanks, as always, for sharing your thoughts. Very interesting comments, you all. :)

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

TriTexan
06-15-12, 03:49 PM
They've gone 9s already in the quarter...Awesome drivetrain and platform but still a Mustang. I much prefer my V Wagon. :)

http://youtu.be/QHxEUA0W7nQ

Cheers,
Chris

Fast in a straight line. On the drag strip. With drag radials. And micro-light front tires and wheels. If you're a drag strip guy, this is a cool ride. If you have a family, like having 4 doors (and maybe a rear hatch, too), or enjoy going around curves then I'll take my V any day. At least the ride to and from the track will be comfy, too. Except for straight line performance, EVERYTHING else about my V is better IMO.

Mike02z
06-16-12, 12:42 AM
I had an 08 GT that I supercharged. Probably only putting ~450 to the wheels and I could never get any traction. Kept it a year and sold it. I had 2 previous Mustangs but when you have a V and an 08 Corvette, the Mustang just does not compare.

Of course the Corvette and V are really not a fair comparison to a Mustang. If it was ZL1 vs GT500, I'd probably go GT500. I'm just not a fan of the 5th gen Camaro and I do have a nostalgic memories for my first Mustang. It was my first "performance" car.

Airfoto
06-16-12, 04:32 PM
The rear axe - KILLS the HORSE in my mind! Surely doesn't drive as nice or have as many comforts to add to the performance - just doesn't look as good either! Cost of car - performance and all that you get - the "V" wins hands down!