: HELP! Smog SCHMOG! Need stock headers and full exhaust?

chopmeat
06-14-12, 01:00 AM
In Los Angeles...'09 CTS-V
Vette Docs and Lingenfelter package, with airbox cutout and AR long tubes...
Of course didn't pass smog. The computer LAUGHED at me.
I was thinking of doing the stock headers, and exhaust from someone's take off and then taking the test.
Does this make sense? Swap out and then put back?
Thanks!!!

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh157/knihc_photo/CTS-VChrome.jpg

SoCalCTSV
06-14-12, 01:37 AM
They want to smog an 09? I have an 07 Grand Cher and still no smog.

chopmeat
06-14-12, 12:47 PM
Yeah! They are crazy strict here, holy crap...
I hate this. I'm either going to have to truck the car back to NY or FLA for plates.
If I can't find stock pieces to swap out, not sure if that would even pass it.
I went to the dealer and the stock headers and exhaust are almost 3 grand. (Just the parts)

SoCalCTSV
06-14-12, 01:27 PM
I'm in LA as well. That's why I was surprised to hear this.

SoCalCTSV
06-14-12, 01:28 PM
I would call D3 and see if they have any laying around to borrow.

OneFast V
06-14-12, 02:22 PM
did you fail visual or the actual test?

Gary Wells
06-14-12, 04:19 PM
I would bet that the 6 year "No Smog Required" is for new cars & for the original owner only. More than likely there is a requirement for any car in Kali that does not have the proper Kali smog cert will require one. Even new cars purchased out of state require the proper Y code cert or requires a smog to license in kali. Also, there is generally a ruling requiring a smog every time that the car changes hands which would take precedence over the 6 year requirement / allowances.
There is a possibility that you might have to go to a State Smog "Referee" before doing anything to the car additionally, & he will dictate what needs to be done.

thebigjimsho
06-14-12, 09:57 PM
Looks like CA still has it over MA as a Nazi state...

Karch
06-15-12, 12:54 AM
Without question, thebigjimsho.

Gary Wells
06-15-12, 11:04 AM
The Republik of kalifornication as a Nazi state has it over war time Germany.
Better guard your guns, too.

buddyg
06-15-12, 09:40 PM
Another great reason not to live in California

Karch
06-15-12, 09:46 PM
Another great reason not to live in California

Absolutely...stay away, please. We don't need any more than we already have.
Seriously.

But, then again, I'll probably sell my house in 10 years and buy a house on each coast, and at least one in either the Sierras or the Rockies.

Gary Wells
06-15-12, 09:52 PM
Absolutely...stay away, please. We don't need any more than we already have.
Seriously.

But, then again, I'll probably sell my house in 10 years and buy a house on each coast, and at least one in either the Sierras or the Rockies.

Steve:
How about adopting me and taking me with you? I'm pretty much housebroken, all I want to do is shoot my .45 autos & play with my '87 turbo Buick & the '09 Cad CTS-V.

Karch
06-15-12, 10:17 PM
Gary, then I get to drive the V, and the GN, whenever I want, right?

:)

How are you feeling these days?

qictrk
06-16-12, 12:43 AM
I had a couple of builders tell me that headers are what will throw a code. I think your on the right track. I too was about to put on headers, until I was told about
the headers not passing smog. The problem your going to have now is, they are really going to look at your car the second time. They might even require that you
take it to a California state run smog station. They will look for the visual none stock items, then your dead. They are good detectives, I know, they got me years ago
on another car I had. Cecil..............

baabootoo
06-16-12, 12:59 AM
did you fail visual or the actual test?

Good question. Answer yet?

Havasusteve
06-16-12, 02:05 AM
PM Sent

chopmeat
06-16-12, 03:05 AM
Hey guys...Thanks by the way...
I failed the actual test not the visual.
There are some of these guys that just did give a sh*t, but when you plug the OBDII to the computer, your vin number comes up and it can't be F*cked with i guess.
And yeah, I talked with race shops, (all of them)lol to try to get take off stock pieces and I'm still waiting...

thebigjimsho
06-16-12, 11:10 AM
In MA, all we have is OBD-II. And if the tune shows O2 sensors operating, you're good to go.

chopmeat
06-16-12, 02:08 PM
Here, they do the sniffer too...

Mike02z
06-16-12, 03:20 PM
In PA as long as your not throwing codes your golden. My vette has LT's as well as various other technically "not for street use" parts on it and it passed every year. Technically LT's are illegal in all 50 states since they move the position of the O2 sensors and the cats. Most states really don't care but CA and NJ are probably the worst.

turkeysammich
06-16-12, 04:19 PM
Ebay has the parts for cheap. 5 to 7 hours to change out the headers tho.

mannyz
06-17-12, 07:04 AM
Yea I just saw a stock exhaust setup from manifolds back for 1K

qictrk
06-17-12, 06:06 PM
I assume that you tried to get your stock parts from the people that did the work. If not, give it a try. In Ca. the law states that the shop must provide all the parts
to you that were removed. Unless you said chuck it. Cecil.............

chopmeat
06-19-12, 02:20 PM
Is this smog test every year?

OneFast V
06-19-12, 05:28 PM
Is this smog test every year?

Its 5 years after the first purchase (at least from my experience in San Jose) then every other year after that. unless you fail then they may switch it to once a year. Also with a proper tuner they should be able to allow you to pass the actual test, What requirement specifically were you cited for as the cause of the failure?

chopmeat
06-20-12, 02:39 AM
I found out it's 5-7 years for new, but if you bring the car in from another state or sell it, then it has to be smogged.
As to what it failed, EVERYTHING, all the parameters for the sniffer. lol

chopmeat
06-20-12, 02:42 AM
Linngenfelter told me to just change out the headers and exhaust and it'll pass. But I had it re-tuned at the Vette Doctors in NY and after that it was 10 times faster. They showed me on the screen how conservative LPE was and they turned everything UP!
Huge gain in horsepower, but I'm now wondering, if I change just the exhaust,will that be ENOUGH????
Holy SH*T.
LOL

qictrk
06-20-12, 04:21 AM
Your going to have to change the exhaust and then get it re-tuned in Ca in my opinion. It has to be tuned conservative to pass. Take it back to LPE, at least it will pass. Cecil............

SoCalCTSV
06-21-12, 05:18 PM
Can someone verify something for me.....

I just got my B&B Catback. Installing next week at a local shop. Does the stock exhaust bolt off in one piece or several pieces of does it have o be cut apart? Do I need to bring a truck?

qictrk
06-22-12, 02:10 AM
Can someone verify something for me.....

I just got my B&B Catback. Installing next week at a local shop. Does the stock exhaust bolt off in one piece or several pieces of does it have o be cut apart? Do I need to bring a truck?
Its one piece, just back of the cats. Bring your pickup. Cecil............

SoCalCTSV
06-22-12, 02:26 AM
Thanks Cecil!

chopmeat
07-12-12, 09:40 PM
I found stock headers and exhaust for my car to smog it here in LA,
but now I hear that I have to tweek my tune back to stock or it won't work!!!!!!!
I am going to end up erasing my original Lingenfelter tune and Vette Docs work and have to put everything back again?
HOLY CRAPPOLA !!!!!
I give up, it's going to cost me thousands.
Who wants to buy my freaking car????

Karch
07-12-12, 11:15 PM
You can buy HP Tuners and save the tune, then load a stock tune, then put your tune back in???

I have the Pro version, which allows for logging wideband among other features.

v-caliber
07-19-12, 06:08 AM
Can any of the cts-v tuners change the tune to trick the OBD II?

I had a fully modded bmw 335i for last 4 years. The bmw tuners just had an additional code written within the tune programming, which made the smog people's OBD II scanner THINK that everything is normal. After all its just a computer. If you can write programming to change how a whole car functions, why not add some more code to trick the OBD? I passed smog every year with no cats, full exhaust, meth, you name it, I had it.

So ask some tuners if they can do that. MANY people will pay extra for that option/ability.

jzchen
07-19-12, 07:25 AM
Can any of the cts-v tuners change the tune to trick the OBD II?

I had a fully modded bmw 335i for last 4 years. The bmw tuners just had an additional code written within the tune programming, which made the smog people's OBD II scanner THINK that everything is normal. After all its just a computer. If you can write programming to change how a whole car functions, why not add some more code to trick the OBD? I passed smog every year with no cats, full exhaust, meth, you name it, I had it.

So ask some tuners if they can do that. MANY people will pay extra for that option/ability.

This passed the sniffer? Here in Cali? (I think you're out of state.) We have a 335 also, but no mods other than oil cooler, intercooler, and BMW power kit...

OP- A good place for used car parts:

www.car-part.com

Can you put back the stock intake and try again as is?

v-caliber
07-19-12, 12:40 PM
This passed the sniffer? Here in Cali? (I think you're out of state.) We have a 335 also, but no mods other than oil cooler, intercooler, and BMW power

An OBD is on OBD. It doesn't matter what state u r in. I am in Nevada so not far away. Here we are ALL required to pass smog EVERY YEAR.

jzchen
07-19-12, 01:47 PM
An OBD is on OBD. It doesn't matter what state u r in. I am in Nevada so not far away. Here we are ALL required to pass smog EVERY YEAR.

Is this the OBD test you talk about:

http://www.dmvnv.com/emission_obd.htm

Sounds like there is no sniffer. Yes, you can have an O2 simulator,..., but the sniffer smells the output from the tailpipe, not just what the OBD is telling it...

thebigjimsho
07-19-12, 02:32 PM

That is not smog. You just have OBD-II. In MA, we used to have smog. I ran a catless Y-pipe on my SHO that eventually failed smog inspection. They hook up a sensor to your tailpipe. Now we have OBD-II. So when I hooked up my catless(with a tune) V up to it, it passed. If it was tested like it was my old SHO, it would've failed...hard.

Nevada is NOT California...

Havasusteve
07-19-12, 02:43 PM
I'll try to be a politically/ legally correct as possible;

If you live in California and have no CATS/headers/High Flow CATS,
You WILL NOT pass a legitimate smog test, period.

You have to pursue other....avenues.

High Flow CATS at least give the appearance of legal, 02 sensor connected catalytic converters...

Steve
People's Republic of California (head hung in shame)

Karch
07-19-12, 02:57 PM
Steve, do the high flow cats clean up enough to pass the emissions? I suppose, with a stock or mild cam (wide LSA), they would do fine. I mean, my 8 year old Toyota passed by a margin wider than the Grand Canyon. I don't think it's actually that difficult, aside from the visual (long tubes), but maybe they guy won't notice them???

Havasusteve
07-19-12, 03:55 PM
On a visual check, it's been my experience, it's not an issue.
HF Cats won't pass snif test (NOx/CO) testing. There is no materials inside them to reduce or eliminate the "pollutants"

Sorry, I wish I could give you better news, but you'll need to locate someone friendly.

Karch
07-19-12, 05:27 PM
Got it. I didn't know that about the cats. Too bad.
I did find someone friendly, and I am trying to assist another member here in getting his taken care of.

I am inquiring because I really want to buy one that has Kooks and their X-pipe/cats, but perhaps may need to put it back to stock exhaust. Not sure, because of the out of state transfer of ownership and all.

Edit....I can't keep the threads straight...haha. I am trying to help the OP out. Either find a way to pass it the way it is, or help him with the tune swap if he needs to put the stock exhaust on.

SoCalCTSV
07-19-12, 06:00 PM
I used to know a place in East LA that would pass you. But it was scary, expensive and likely shut down.

v-caliber
07-19-12, 10:02 PM
Just find a smog place ran by some college kid. Offer him $200 to pass you and be done with it. If he says no, go to another place and so on. You WILL find many to take the bribe. When I lived in NY, the guy at smog station just used to give me all the stickers and certificates I wanted every year for 100 bucks.

Trapspeed
07-19-12, 10:11 PM
Just find a smog place ran by some college kid. Offer him $200 to pass you and be done with it. If he says no, go to another place and so on. You WILL find many to take the bribe. When I lived in NY, the guy at smog station just used to give me all the stickers and certificates I wanted every year for 100 bucks.

That's awesome.

Karch
07-20-12, 12:55 AM

Not here in Cali. You don't get an actual certificate, you put your car on the rollers, it gets a load, and the pass/fail goes straight to DMV.

v-caliber
07-20-12, 03:45 AM
Not here in Cali. You don't get an actual certificate, you put your car on the rollers, it gets a load, and the pass/fail goes straight to DMV.

Bribe, bribe, bribe......works for politicians and wall street, so why not for the common working man ;)

Gary Wells
07-26-12, 09:32 PM
Anybody know if Chopmeat is still amongst the living in the Republik of Kalifornication?

Havasusteve
07-26-12, 10:26 PM
Gary,
I offered up my stock system minus exhaust for him to use, haven't heard back in a few weeks

Gary Wells
07-26-12, 11:24 PM
Steve, I offered to help him when he 1st opened this thread, but he never called me.
If anybody ever knows anything about smog in Kali, it's the turbo Buick hooligans.
He hasn't posted in a while. Probably not too happy with the Republik of Kali about now.

Karch
07-27-12, 12:04 AM
I have been emailing him, and tried to help out.
Nice guy, but ran into roadblocks.

He is currently trying to sell the car, as he's concerned about finding a good tuner locally.

Perhaps he'll change his mind. I'd really like to help find a solution, seems like a really nice car (Thunder Gray! No sunroof, standard seats).

chopmeat
07-27-12, 11:43 AM
Dudes!!!!!!
I'm here just been going to place to place every freaking day trying to get this done. And yes, I live in LA now.
Car is reg in NY. I am sick and tired of the whole thing and I am stresses out.
I went without thinking the first time and it failed all the gases, not visual. Now, I'm just pissed because I don't want to take the whole thing apart that I paid for and have to put it back together again.

Karch
07-27-12, 12:12 PM
It failed the gasses? Do you think a stock tune would pass that gasses?

Gary Wells
07-27-12, 01:33 PM
Dudes!!!!!!
I'm here just been going to place to place every freaking day trying to get this done. And yes, I live in LA now.
Car is reg in NY. I am sick and tired of the whole thing and I am stresses out.
I went without thinking the first time and it failed all the gases, not visual. Now, I'm just pissed because I don't want to take the whole thing apart that I paid for and have to put it back together again.

So what do you just have to do now?
Is your car considered a "Gross Polluter" and do you have to go to a " smog Referee", or just a re-test until it passes. Generally they send you to a referee.
Feel free to PM me, chopmeat, I still might be able to help.

Havasusteve
07-27-12, 01:55 PM
So what do you just have to do now?
Is your car considered a "Gross Polluter" and do you have to go to a " smog Referee", or just a re-test until it passes. Generally they send you to a referee.
Feel free to PM me, chopmeat, I still might be able to help.

I'm still available to help if you want

Karch
07-27-12, 02:12 PM
I hope he doesn't give up the fight. We can have a local TG club, once I get on board :)
He's only 20 minutes from me (without traffic...haha), and I have HPTuners.