Cadillac Owners Forum banner

New here, looking to join the group shortly.

803 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Cadillac Customer Service 
#1 ·
I'm pretty much set on getting a CTS-V in the near future. Looking at 06 or 07.
I just sold my last turbo 240sx and I'm looking to start a new chapter. The V fits the bill nicely.

I just have a couple questions.
I'm pretty much looking EVERY WHERE for one. I know the common problems because I've been searching and have been reading the forum for awhile.

I've seen a few in CA that look promising but I want to know if the V's sold in CA have different emission equipment. I know back in the day you never wanted to buy a CA car because it would come with loads of extra emission equipment and it would have a crappy tune in the ECU for performance. Did Cadillac do the same thing with the V. Should I steer away from any car sold in CA?

The last thing is maintenance,
Does the CTS-V have any higher mileage maintenance that's required?
Do it have a timing belt that needs to be changed.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

See less See more
#2 ·
No additional emission equipment that I know of.

Maintenance is normal, but it's also proportional to hp so some additional maintenance comes standard, e.g. tires, fluids, etc.

Yes, the V has a timing chain, but it's not overhead cam, so there's less worry associated with it. Think 150k miles, not 80k.

#3 ·
:yeah:

All V's are CA emissions compliant...I believe it is just the ones that were sold in CA originally that show CA emissions on their sticker/warranty information in the GM system. No worries there.

#4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I'm aware of the normal maintenance stuff I just wasn't sure on the higher mileage maintenance that most people don't think about until it's too late.

Here's another question:
Would you go for a lower mileage 05 V (65,000-70,000 miles) or an 06 V with around 75,000-80,000 miles. Based on the fact that everything else condition wise are equal.

I'm not the type of person to be too worried about higher mileage because I take very good care of my cars. I'm just curious since the 06 comes with alot of fixes to common problem that showed up in the 04-05 Vs. I just wanted to get other people's opinions who have more experience with these cars.

#6 ·
I think on the year questions its more do you want an LS6 car or one with a truck motor....i mean LS2....:bouncy:

I went with the LS6 for various reasons and got mine with about 58k on it. Granted I did have to drive 600 miles each way to get the one I wanted but it was worth it.

On the maintaince side I got a GMPP plan when I bought mine so I have had the dealer do all the oil changes (about 80 bucks), brake pads (about 100 an axle), and trans/diff fluid (about 400 total) in the last 20k miles. So really not as bad as I thought....however the GMPP has gotten me new front struts, new throttle body (last one was never cleaned apperently), and most importantly a new Diff about 2 weeks ago (mine was the original 05 diff and went to almost 80k miles of "spirited" driving".

So long story short if you get an 04/05 and the diff is original make sure to either get a GMPP plan or put some back for an 8.8 swap w/ axles down the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.