: 2009 hybrid roams road and won't stay straight

Patradamus7
06-13-12, 09:30 PM
I just bought a 2009 escalade hybrid with 22" wheels and 29000 miles. I have had 2 alignments done in the past week. Every time I drive it the car wants to drift in the direction of the road slope which is understandable. Once I turn the steeerig wheel ever so slightly to make it straighten out it overreacts and starts drifting the other direction (it isn't horrible but definitely noticeable). I am constantly fighting the car ever so slightly to go straight and it doesn't make it fun to drive. Is this normalwith 22" wheels or happen to others? Is it maybe the pitarm or something else? Nature of the beast? I had a 2007 Tahoe and it wasn't nearly this noticeable.

Thanks,
P

lee88
06-14-12, 02:14 AM
Have you taken it back to the place who did the first two alignments? I would think it would be their responsibility to fix this issue since you paid them to correct it. I have an 08 and had a similar prob but it was fixed with an alignment.

hcvone
06-14-12, 08:04 AM
Just because someone has an alignment machine does not mean they know how to use is, I went thru this years ago, must have went to 5 different shops before finding a shop with a skilled tech, they all had the same equipment, but knowing how to use it is the key :) You can let the wheel go on any of my trucks and they just go straight.

48Dodge
06-14-12, 01:17 PM
On my tahoe I had an alignment with some new tires. Drove out of the parking lot and noticed the steering felt different, lighter and almost wandering. Later, I noticed the steering wheel was only straight when I was on the left side of a crowned road. Brought it back to the shop a few days later and they said I must have hit a curb. I told them nope. Anyway, got it back on the rack and the tech asked what day of the week I had the alignment done. After I told him he said nobody was in the shop that knows how to use the machine correctly on that day of the week. Drove like a champ after that alignment.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-14-12, 08:14 PM
I just bought a 2009 escalade hybrid with 22" wheels and 29000 miles. I have had 2 alignments done in the past week. Every time I drive it the car wants to drift in the direction of the road slope which is understandable. Once I turn the steeerig wheel ever so slightly to make it straighten out it overreacts and starts drifting the other direction (it isn't horrible but definitely noticeable). I am constantly fighting the car ever so slightly to go straight and it doesn't make it fun to drive. Is this normalwith 22" wheels or happen to others? Is it maybe the pitarm or something else? Nature of the beast? I had a 2007 Tahoe and it wasn't nearly this noticeable.

Thanks,
P

Patradamus7,
Were these alignments performed at your dealership? If so, we're happy to look into this further with you. We can be reached through direct message here on the forum (include the last 8 digits of your VIN).
Best,
Sarah (Assisting Katie)
Cadillac Customer Service

evois
06-14-12, 10:55 PM
Compared to a regular non hybrid escalade the power steering system in the hybrid is electric motor and not hydraulic. A good alignment is needed preferably the dealer. The steering of the hybrid is so light as compared to the regular escalade that small road imperfections can easily be felt. But I like it as turning it is effortless.

Patradamus7
06-18-12, 05:49 PM
Thanks everyone. It is currently in for its 3rd alignment but is getting better but definitely not fixed. They gave me a equinox as a loaner and somehow the steering on it is much smoother lol. I think i figured out how to ask my question better since driving the equinox.

When you turn the steering wheel a couple degree or so and let go does the wheel go back to the center position or stay at the current position? Mine never resets back to the middle. If I do a hard turn it partially resets which is understandable but with slight movement (couple degrees or more) it doesn't reset to find the center it just only partially returns. The equinox fully returns every time. Is this possibly a hybrid electric motor steering feature that is what it is? Is it the 22" wheels? My Tahoe recentered every time as well. Evois any insight on yours would be appreciated.

Thanks again guys,
P

48Dodge
06-18-12, 05:58 PM
Caster is what causes the steering wheel to return to center.

evois
06-18-12, 08:06 PM
Mine doesn't go back to center but tracks straight. Or should I say there is no center that can be felt vs a hydraulic steering. I don't mind since if let go of the steering, it still drives straight.

felixgun
06-19-12, 11:09 PM
I have the factory 22's and mine does not pull left/right. It goes perfectly straight :) Definitely an alignment issue..

Patradamus7
06-20-12, 02:52 PM
Thanks evois. Mine drives straight now but does the same as what your saying. Guess I will live with it. Thanks again guys.

Patradamus7
06-24-12, 07:01 PM
Ok today I went on a road trip. The car still wanders and I am constantly just ever so slightly having to move the steering wheel while on the interstate. I can also literally move the steering wheel back and forth quickly 1" at 70 mph and the car doesn't react or move either direction. Seems like a lot of play. Caster issue? Can anyone else do this?

Thanks,
P

cutterman
06-25-12, 11:45 AM
That is not normal. My 2011 has 0 play in the steering.

evois
06-27-12, 08:53 PM
Needs a better alignment ?