: Changed Roof Color On The Miata Today

ted tcb
06-13-12, 08:39 PM
I'm liking the results .... looks more English, somehow.

The original 1991 Special Edition Miata sold out instantly .... caught Mazda by
surprise. Mazda intended the British Racing Green over tan leather cars to be
equipped with saddle color convertible tops.
Their supplier couldn't come up with 4000 tan tops, so they settled on black.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/miata003.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/miata005.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/miataroof004.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/miataroof008.jpg

Reason for the new top?
I raised the top on a very cold day, and the 22 year old plastic window split.
I temporarily covered it up with clear duct tape ... not a nice look.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/miataroof011.jpg

She goes in on Monday for a respray and clearcoat.
Paint looks great from 5 feet, but up close, lots of little stone chips, and its
thinning out in spots.

Still the most fun I've ever had driving a car on twisty roads at legal speeds.

Aztec ETC ECS
06-13-12, 08:55 PM
I would change it to Orange "Crush", but that's just me.

Sorry but I was bustin' on Sebrings on this Cadi site and couldn't let this go.

truckinman
06-13-12, 09:38 PM
I actually really love the first generation miata like that. I like all the gens but especially that one. And that is my all time favorite color combo. British racing green with the tan top/interior. My parents bought a brand new miata back in 92. They bought the one right below the special edition but it had every other conceivable option for a 92. But theirs was red with a black soft top and they had the hard top too. I really liked that car. I was only 7 when they bought that tho. Lol. But had a blast riding in it. I really liked the pre dual air bag years, which if I'm not mistaken, 92 was actually the last year for only a drivers bag right? I just think the pre dual bag dash looks much more British sports car as well.

brandondeleo
06-13-12, 10:03 PM
I've always been a big fan of the English green/tan combo. Very nice!

I have a whole new respect for Miatas after riding in one at an autocross event. Holy crap.

truckinman
06-13-12, 10:16 PM
I've always been a big fan of the English green/tan combo. Very nice!

I have a whole new respect for Miatas after riding in one at an autocross event. Holy crap.

They really are amazing. I wished I coulda driven my folks. Sure they aren't fast, but damn they are monsters on a twisty road. My step dad loved driving theirs. He would take 25 mph curves at 50-60 mph. Lol. He liked sliding around them. Lol.

brandondeleo
06-13-12, 10:22 PM
I got in and I'm like "oh, this'll be interesting..." and ten seconds later I was being thrown from side to side having the time of my life. :lol:

brandondeleo
06-13-12, 10:23 PM
Burning up the tires and all that... I was VERY impressed. I will never again make fun of a Miata.

ted tcb
06-13-12, 10:37 PM
I actually really love the first generation miata like that. I like all the gens but especially that one. And that is my all time favorite color combo. British racing green with the tan top/interior. My parents bought a brand new miata back in 92. They bought the one right below the special edition but it had every other conceivable option for a 92. But theirs was red with a black soft top and they had the hard top too. I really liked that car. I was only 7 when they bought that tho. Lol. But had a blast riding in it. I really liked the pre dual air bag years, which if I'm not mistaken, 92 was actually the last year for only a drivers bag right? I just think the pre dual bag dash looks much more British sports car as well.

If you look closely, my car has no airbag. In Canada, the 1991 SE did not come with a driver's side airbag.
As you say, it looks more British, and is lighter weight. Lets face it, if I crash my Miata, an airbag isn't
really going to help me much.

Regarding fast Miatas, the Miata Guru who worked on my car showed me his personal car ... a 2004
Miata with a Corvette motor and Cadillac rear end. He has about $40k invested in the upgrades, and
also performs very clean supercharged and turbocharged installs.
There is no cutting in the engine bay, everything looks OEM.
Its a passion for guys like him .... the car looks subtle at a glance, until you lift the hood or hear
the exhaust burble.
My coworker used him to supercharge his 1.8L motor on a 2003 Miata Club Sport ... that's the 2003
factory race Miata, with super low weight.
Dave's Garage in Oakville On. installed the supercharger and Borla exhaust.
I drove this car, and its basically all about 200hp at the rear wheels in a 2100 lbs car.
Tons of fun, you blink and its time to shift at 7000 rpm.

I like my very basic, smooth, inexpensive Miata.
But, I get the passion these guys have for getting the most out of their Miatas.

truckinman
06-13-12, 10:41 PM
Burning up the tires and all that... I was VERY impressed. I will never again make fun of a Miata.

I've very seriously thought about buying a 92 but this color combo. My step dad said if he had a corvette, he woulda sold it to buy two Miatas. Lol. He loved their handling so much. Hell, the damn car had speakers INSIDE the headrests. That's just bad ass! Lol. I know STS's with the 5.1 surround has speakers on the seats, but these were cleverly hidden inside the head rest and really made for great sound even with the top down.

Rolex
06-13-12, 10:46 PM
I could love that car if it had an V8 LS engine in it. :shrug:

ted tcb
06-13-12, 10:47 PM
If you look closely, you can see the perforations for my headrest speakers.
After 22 years on the road, they still work like new.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/miataroof002.jpg

truckinman
06-13-12, 10:49 PM
I'd rather have it in the stock form like yours than with a corvette engine. Sure the miata wasn't fast straight line wise, but damn that engine sounded GOOD. I loved how it sounded. To this day, its the best sounding 4 cylinder engine ive ever heard. It just sounded like it wanted to race lol. I cant explain it but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

But yea I noticed ur steering wheel. I just thought it was an after market wheel. And my step dad would agree with u on how an airbag isn't going to save ur life in that car. Lol.

That was def the coolest car my folks had growing up. Lol. They paid brand new for that car in 92, 22 grand. Pretty pricey for 92. But worth it.

There was an after market company you could send it to back then that was called something like the monster miata company. But they would drop a 400 hp v8 into it. I just cant imagine that much power in a 2300 lb car. Lol.

Aztec ETC ECS
06-13-12, 11:01 PM
I will never again make fun of a Miata.

I will! :histeric:

Hey, where ya been? I was beginning to think something terrible happened to you.

talismandave
06-13-12, 11:46 PM
Great color combo. That looks like a lot of fun. I agree the way to go is stock, like truckinman said. To beef up the engine is to miss the essence of the car. I have always said, it is more fun driving a slow car fast, than driving a fast car slow!
I have looked at them myself several different times. I guess they are just to reliable and trouble free for me. I would have to rewire it with Lucas electrical components or something! Seeing a sharp clean example like yours makes me sorry I never pulled the trigger on any I looked at. I can't wait to see it after the re-spry!:thumbsup:

Stingroo
06-14-12, 12:27 AM
I really liked the pre dual air bag years, which if I'm not mistaken, 92 was actually the last year for only a drivers bag right? I just think the pre dual bag dash looks much more British sports car as well.

I would wager that '93 was the last year for driver's only airbag. It became a requirement in '94.

Ted - great looking car! The new top really suits it much better.

orconn
06-14-12, 12:32 AM
Having had and driven many heavy duty sports cars like Jaguars, Lamborghini, Aston Martins, and even Ferrari's, I have to say that when it comes to just plain fun a light sports car like a Miata is hard to beat. I have always regretted not having an Alfa Romeo Spider or Giulietta of my own, especially after I had the Volkswagen Scirocco! I envy your nice straight forward Miata and think the new top looks great will be looking forward to seeing it after the respray!

I thoroughly agree with Dave, it is absolutely more for to drive a good handling slow car fast than fast car slow! I've done a bit of both!

gdwriter
06-14-12, 12:35 AM
Cheerio! I think I shall have a gin and tonic to mark the occasion. http://gdwriter.com/bond.gif

Miatas are very popular among autocrossers. Here are a couple of them from my recent outing:

http://youtu.be/MLl6lOJXeyU

http://youtu.be/PApogY6nw8E

Stingroo
06-14-12, 12:35 AM
What does the Ferrari own?

Jesda
06-14-12, 01:09 AM
Outstanding!!

Playdrv4me
06-14-12, 03:37 AM
Very nice.

truckinman
06-14-12, 09:35 AM
I would wager that '93 was the last year for driver's only airbag. It became a requirement in '94.

Yes sir 93 was it. I was looking at them on eBay last night, and found that 93 was actually the last year

ShapeShifter
06-14-12, 10:33 AM
Kudos! I really like that combo of Green, Tan and Saddle Top.

Aztec ETC ECS
06-14-12, 10:45 AM
OK. All hammering aside, It is a clean '91.

brandondeleo
06-14-12, 05:14 PM
That same day I rode around the track in a C4 'vette, and I was much less impressed with the track performance. Then again, it's not exactly made for handling...

gdwriter
06-14-12, 05:25 PM
I rode along in this '94 Camaro Z28. It felt like it was plowing as much as my Seville, but as you can see, it's also able to spin the rear out:

http://youtu.be/s_CvfYA2uc8

brandondeleo
06-14-12, 05:37 PM
It's funny how similar that gen Camaro looks to my car.

orconn
06-14-12, 06:40 PM
That same day I rode around the track in a C4 'vette, and I was much less impressed with the track performance. Then again, it's not exactly made for handling...

Since when isn't a Corvette "made" for handling! Corvettes like many other high powered sports cars are bigger and heavier than their light, smaller brethren, but that doesn't mean that they aren't meant to handle. They may take more skill and finesse to drive a "big" sports car than a light weight, smaller one but that doesn't mean that the bigger car won't out perform the smaller car on a track or road coarse.

truckinman
06-14-12, 07:01 PM
Since when isn't a Corvette "made" for handling! Corvettes like many other high powered sports cars are bigger and heavier than their light, smaller brethren, but that doesn't mean that they aren't meant to handle. They may take more skill and finesse to drive a "big" sports car than a light weight, smaller one but that doesn't mean that the bigger car won't out perform the smaller car on a track or road coarse.

Eh, I never heard anything good about a corvettes handling pre C5. With the C5 you could start getting something called a handling package. I'm not saying a damn thing is wrong with em tho. Lol. I love corvettes of all generations

orconn
06-14-12, 07:37 PM
Gee, sorry, I thought a Corvette was a sports car, at least it claimed to be one at some point. I have to admit I am not all that familiar, personally, with Corvettes .... so I have to defer to those who are more "personally" familiar with Corvettes and their handling! Please enlighten me.

Aron9000
06-15-12, 02:23 AM
When GM debuted the C4 Corvette back in 1984, it was a revelation in terms of handling dynamics vs the old C3. This was one of the first cars to wear big, wide, low profile rubber. The early C4's, especially those with the stiff suspension option rode like a freaking ox cart though. The ride was better in later model C4's, but people have always praised it as being a great handler.

As for the 4th gen fbody chassis, its a good handler if you replace the stock springs, shocks, and sway bars. Really for the power they had, the 4th gen cars were soft, came under tired(unless you got one with the 17" wheel option), and had crap brakes. I mean you had the same power as a Corvette with softer suspension, more weight, smaller tires, smaller brakes. You can make a 4th gen into a road course/auto-x terror, it just isn't there straight out of the box like a C4, C5, or C6 Vette is. Of course that was the whole reason it cost half as much as a Corvette.

As far as Miatas go, british racing green with tan top/leather is the BEST color combo. They had a really cool special edition called the Shinsto or something in the late 90's that was pearl grey, dark blue top, navy blue grippy cloth seats that was really sharp as well.

Playdrv4me
06-15-12, 03:14 AM
When GM debuted the C4 Corvette back in 1984, it was a revelation in terms of handling dynamics vs the old C3. This was one of the first cars to wear big, wide, low profile rubber. The early C4's, especially those with the stiff suspension option rode like a freaking ox cart though. The ride was better in later model C4's, but people have always praised it as being a great handler.

As for the 4th gen fbody chassis, its a good handler if you replace the stock springs, shocks, and sway bars. Really for the power they had, the 4th gen cars were soft, came under tired(unless you got one with the 17" wheel option), and had crap brakes. I mean you had the same power as a Corvette with softer suspension, more weight, smaller tires, smaller brakes. You can make a 4th gen into a road course/auto-x terror, it just isn't there straight out of the box like a C4, C5, or C6 Vette is. Of course that was the whole reason it cost half as much as a Corvette.

As far as Miatas go, british racing green with tan top/leather is the BEST color combo. They had a really cool special edition called the Shinsto or something in the late 90's that was pearl grey, dark blue top, navy blue grippy cloth seats that was really sharp as well.

My '94 still rode like an ox cart, but it DID handle very nicely.

brandondeleo
06-15-12, 04:17 AM
The newer hardtop convertible Miatas look almost like a high $$$ sport coupe. VERY good looking.

ted tcb
06-22-12, 07:18 PM
Just to close off this thread, I had promised to show a few shots of my respray.
The paint really looked bad in certain lights, with directional changes, thin spots, and stone chips.
I basically had the Miata re sprayed and clear coated.

As well, I used some SEM Camel leather paint on the driver's seat. Its a perfect match, and eliminated a few
small crease marks. (thanks to Ryan on the SEM tip ... his STS seats turned out very well).

The car looks pretty much like it did in 1991.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/miatapaint010.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/miatapaint006.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/miatapaint005.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/miatapaint007.jpg

orconn
06-22-12, 08:43 PM
Really looks great, Ted! You've really got to like a car to go for the cost of a quality paint job. I liked my Alfa 164S so much that after 8 years and failing clearcoat I went ahead and paid $3500. for it to be repainted in its' original clear coat and red color. The car was in such good shape mechanically and in the interior it was like getting a brand new car. I never regretted doing it and would still have the Alfa if it hadn't been my concerns about getting quality work done on the car should it need it here in Virginia.

talismandave
06-22-12, 11:07 PM
That is drop dead gorgeous! Well done on the seat too, looks like new. I have a very light ivory in my Volvo and always looks bad on leading edge of bolster I will have to try that. You have officially the best looking Miata I have ever seen. Drive the hell out of it and enjoy!:highfive:

talismandave
06-22-12, 11:09 PM
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/miatapaint010.jpg
By the way, nice shorts!:)

RightTurn
06-22-12, 11:40 PM
Looks great! :thumbsup:

brandondeleo
06-23-12, 05:57 AM
That's awesome!

What did that paint job cost you?

ted tcb
06-23-12, 09:17 AM
That's awesome!

What did that paint job cost you?

All I had to do was the front bumper, hood, and fenders. The rest of the car is correct.
I did the prep, and paid just $800 cash to spray and clear.

At the end of the day, this 56000 mile Miata is only worth about $6500, so I'm careful with how much
I invest. I just want to maintain the condition of the car for my own enjoyment, as opposed to restoring
a car that has no real collector's value.

Aron9000
06-25-12, 05:25 AM
All I had to do was the front bumper, hood, and fenders. The rest of the car is correct.
I did the prep, and paid just $800 cash to spray and clear.

At the end of the day, this 56000 mile Miata is only worth about $6500, so I'm careful with how much
I invest. I just want to maintain the condition of the car for my own enjoyment, as opposed to restoring
a car that has no real collector's value.

Give it another 10-15 years and I bet it will be collectable. Your Miata is exactly what I would've ordered back in 1991, its such a beautiful car. Glad you care about its appearance, a lot of times people will just let these cars go and they look like hell despite running great.

ted tcb
07-02-12, 12:49 PM
Final touch on the Miata is a more aggressive wheel.
Problem is, these cars are really affected by unsprung weight. The OEM "Diasies" are
very light, at about 12lbs. Switching to generic 15" or larger wheels really changes the driving
experience on a Miata, and not for the better.

I'm trying to source some period correct BBS wheels. The 91 was the only special edition that didn't
come with its own special wheel, and the BBS basketweaves are very expensive and somewhat rare.

So, I replaced these:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/miata003.jpg

With these:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/miatawheels001.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/miatawheels003.jpg

Call it budget/redneck wheel upgrade.
I simply removed the "Daisy" center caps, removed the open lugnuts, replaced with chrome closed
lugs and mirror finish STS center caps. One nice thing about owning 5 STS' over the years, lots of
little parts hanging around my garage.

This will tide me over until I find a decent set of BBS basketweaves .... I think it beefs up the look
of the car a bit.

ShapeShifter
07-02-12, 12:58 PM
A very inexpensive means of making a nice appearance change. I like the uniqueness!

orconn
07-02-12, 02:10 PM
I really like the way the revamped stock wheels look, they give a feeling that harks back to the Lotus Elan of yore (and supposedly the conceptual forerunner of the Miata). I like the look of these better than the BBS lace wheels you are comtemplating. The BBS wheels you see a lot, these on the other hand are more unique and the price is certainly right!

cadillac kevin
07-02-12, 02:45 PM
I really like the way the revamped stock wheels look, they give a feeling that harks back to the Lotus Elan of yore (and supposedly the conceptual forerunner of the Miata). I like the look of these better than the BBS lace wheels you are comtemplating. The BBS wheels you see a lot, these on the other hand are more unique and the price is certainly right!

The lotus elan was the first thing that came to mind upon seeing those wheels. I agree that they look better than the bbs wheels (which, while not common, aren't that rare either.)

Stingroo
07-02-12, 03:13 PM
How about taking those STS caps, grinding the letters off of them, and having your paint guy spray them the same color as the car? Then you can get Mazda decals and apply.

ted tcb
07-02-12, 03:14 PM
After researching Panasport lightweight alloys, it looks like I kind of recreated the look.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/DanFurey-P.jpg

My attempt.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/miatawheels001.jpg

orconn
07-02-12, 03:16 PM
Ted, I say you trumped their look!

Jesda
07-02-12, 03:46 PM
Hah! Cleverly done!