: Been Looking at Chevy Volts...

GM-4-LIFE
06-13-12, 03:10 PM
I have been out looking at Chevy Volts. I love my V Coupe more than any other car I have ever had, but my financial situation for 2012 has changed for the worse and when I say worse, MUCH WORSE!

I have about 6 months left on my V Coupe's lease and I will be returning it and most likely leasing a Volt. They have very aggressive lease programs on the Volt. I can probably get one in the $300.00 range including tax with little to no money down. I drive about 30 miles a day, so the Volt would save me about $300.00 a month in gas alone and about $400 a month on the lease payment. I would save about $700.00 per month, which would help me out A LOT.

Of course it all depends on how my financial situation is in about 6 months, but all I can say is thank god I went with a 2 year lease and not a 3 year term.

Back to the Volt, they are really nice. Interior is really nice, seats are VERY comfortable and lots of room inside and way more cargo room than my V Coupe. Sat in one last night. I really like how futuristic they look. I have to test drive it, but I heard they have a great amount of torque.

What do you guys think?

TriTexan
06-13-12, 03:23 PM
Hmm...it's a completely different beast. I would recommend that if you are really after cost savings, there are excellent high-mileage [edit: I mean cars that get high MPG, not ones with a lot of miles on them!] used cars on the market that would cost you a lot less in overall ownership costs than a Volt and since they are based on traditional technology might be more predictable. Remember, the gas savings aren't "free" - you have to factor in charging costs, so you have to realize you are transferring some of your gas money to your electric bill. Charging is generally cheaper by a good margin, but it's still a cost you have to factor in.

But if you are emotionally attached to having a new car, the Volt is pretty cool.

As for the torque, remember that an electric motor has a very different torque capability than a ICE. That said, don't expect the stump-pulling whoosh of thrust you got from your V. I've ridden in a Volt and it's nothing I would call revolutionary in terms of performance. But the feel is distinct and the sounds are different, so it has a cool factor from that angle.

Sorry your finances are tight - hope your situation improves.

hulksdaddy
06-13-12, 03:37 PM
I think the Volt technology is very cool.

sykoV
06-13-12, 03:44 PM
Sorry to hear about finance situation best of luck to you on that. On a side note at first I though that this
Was a start of a joke.

nynd
06-13-12, 03:50 PM
We all do what we need to do. At least you had your V and enjoyed it. Volt is a nice change I would think and finances are probably more important that 0-60 times.

quikag
06-13-12, 04:19 PM
I think the Volts are very cool. I wish I could justify adding one to my car stable, but I don't drive enough with the cars I do have.

It will be very different from your V, but it will be fun in it's own right.

GM-4-LIFE
06-13-12, 04:30 PM
Thanks guys. Your words mean a lot. I mean it really stings because I was doing fine when the economy was in worse shape. This year it is just unexplainable and terrible business wise here. I had a bunch of Vs, so my V Coupe isn't my first. My first V was a 2006 CTS-V and then I was able to step up to a 2007 CTS-V and keep on going. I love Cadillacs and the V-Series as a whole. I can't imagine not having one anymore, but in life, you gotta do what you gotta do. I hope my finances get better by then or I will be in a Volt come January.

TriTexan,

It would cost me $1.30 to charge the Volt for 10 hours with L.A. DWP, so WAY less to operate than the $70.00 per week in gas the V Coupe uses. You are right though, it would add a bit to our utility bill, but not much. Maybe $26.00 a month instead of: $300.00 a month in fuel costs.

If I can swing it, I will get another V Coupe, but if I can't, I can't. It sucks to be in this situation!

allinmyhead
06-13-12, 04:55 PM
With gas prices going up, those of us with the highest fuel costs start to see the value prop in electric cars. My boss just leased a Leaf and put a quick charger in his house; the lease payment was less than what his wife was spending in gas each month.

If you get a Volt, make sure to lease it; they're getting tricky and building in the $7500 tax credit to the leases now to make them attractive.

Full disclosure: we're in the PacNW and our electricity is dirt cheap.

smackdownCTSV
06-13-12, 05:25 PM
If you worked out the numbers and it looks good, go for it.

DangFoo
06-13-12, 06:38 PM
I'll take a Volt over a Prius any day; have been seeing a lot of Volts here in the Bay Area with the aggressive lease program.

Then there's the Nissan Leaf; ugliest car since the Aztek and if you run out of charge, then you are big-time SOL. At least the Volt has the gas engine complement. I saw a Leaf stranded on the side of the road last week and that is probably going to be a fairly common sight.

I looked at the Volt too; my only hang-up is the cramped back seat, as I need room for clients. Overall, I was impressed with the car, though I didn't take if for a test drive.

Also, for what it's worth - money comes and money goes. As long as you and your loved ones are healthy, then all is well. Material possessions are just gravy in life. I love my V, but would sell it in a heartbeat if money became tight. You'll see better days ahead and I will keep it neutral by saying please vote in November!

neuronbob
06-13-12, 06:46 PM
I'm actually thinking about adding a Volt to the stable once the V is paid off shortly. It'll be a lease through my business so at least I'll get some tax benefit from it if I do it. If the leases are that attractive, maybe it's time for me to really go test drive one.

You may want to PM aburd. He went from a V to a Volt as well. He did so because his V was just sitting there, unused, IIRC.

V locity
06-13-12, 08:58 PM
In LA, a Volt really fits in and I think it's a great concept! I actually was looked at that first, graduated to the Tesla, then after they released pricing, got me a V... Sorry to hear of your troubles & your on the right track for cost savings with the extra bonus of the "green" crowd liking you too...

SoCalCTSV
06-14-12, 01:42 AM
I fill up 2-3 times a week, 60 mile round trip and parking is $300 a month. My other car gets 9 mpg. If I ever lost my job, I would probably sell my V, get a Hyundai, debadge it throw 20s on it and murder it out.

Trapspeed
06-14-12, 08:05 AM
I spent a day driving one. The descriptions above sum it up. Good performance but you won't win many races. The interior was a little tight for me but I'm not exactly small either. As long as you're not riding in the back seat you'll like it I think.

Chrispy
06-14-12, 02:42 PM
Personally I think you're crazy for buying ANY hybrid including a Volt. :)

You should look at the new Cruze if you want a fun car that gets decent mileage. I'm not sure if they have a diesel version here yet but that'll be comparable to the Volt in terms of mileage and be much more enjoyable to drive/own.

Just my two cents of course :)

RippyPartsDept
06-14-12, 03:07 PM
i can't wait for the ELR ...
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-elr-forum/79035d1313617725-cadillac-elr-pictures-cadillac-erl-passenger-side.jpg

GM-4-LIFE
06-14-12, 03:33 PM
I don't think I can afford an ELR, even though that is what I want. Either a 2013 V Coupe or the ELR. My lease is up in February, so I don't have time to wait for the ELR release.

The Volt would get me by for a very low cost and I would save all that gas money every month. Once the Volt lease is up, maybe get another V if I can afford it.

I hate saying that I can't afford something. I have rarely ever had to say that in life.

RippyPartsDept
06-14-12, 05:42 PM
oh i can't afford a volt let alone an ELR ... but a boy can drooldream, can't he?

stabie
06-14-12, 05:54 PM
You may need to wait for the '13, but something changed recently in the volt so it qualifies for the HOA lane in cali with just the driver. That ALONE is reason to have a volt in LA. I lived there a few decades ago and cannot imagine how bad traffic is by now.

thebigjimsho
06-14-12, 10:03 PM
CTS-V-TWIN, I hope things work out for you, whatever happens. While the V is awesome, it is just a car. I can't believe where Cadillac is now from '03.

Get yourself stable and see what happens. I have my '09 listed myself just to see if I get a bite. My company got bought out and we're a bit nervous. If someone buys mine and my job works out, I'll just get a Vagon later.

Either way, I think the Volt is awesome and is the best looking of the hybrid/electrics, minus the Fisker...

Karch
06-15-12, 12:52 AM
Sorry to hear about the finances...I'm actually doing the opposite in sales this year.

I too am on LADWP, but I have to pay closer to $0.19/KWh due to being in the third tier (we use a lot of electricity, and I don't live in the SFV).

I hope things turn around for you, and I'm sure you'll make the wise decision.