: Battery drain issue.

Ak Jim
06-13-12, 03:11 AM
There is a drain on the battery that discharges it within about 3-4 hours when the car is not running. With it running the voltage is 14.3. When the engine is off and the battery cable is connected or disconnected there is a large spark, I haven't put an amp gauge on it yet but the spark is quite large. Also when the battery cable is connected and disconnected a clicking noise can be heard. It sounds like it is coming from the rear shelf on the driver’s side of the car(mostly to the outside). Anyone one have any ideas? I think one of my firststeps will be to get an accurate measurement of the drain, but I will have to get a amp gauge first. Thanks for any suggestions.

darkman
06-13-12, 06:49 AM
See the attachments to this post:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/244769-some-help-if-has-happened-you.html#post2809811

Ak Jim
06-14-12, 06:00 PM
Darkman, thanksfor the info. It looks like the battery is bad. Interestingly enough I hookedup an amp gauge between the battery and the car. When the power is firstapplied the amp draw is around 4.5 amps, that's why there was such a largespark. After about 3 mins the draining goes down to 11 ma. There must besomething going on when power is first applied that then stops. An interestingpoint is, if you have a completely dead battery and put a trickle or low ampcharger on it will never charge because of the initial 4.5 amp start up draw. Thanks again.