: What does your car really say about you?

orconn
06-12-12, 05:40 PM
I know people from all walks of life, and they drive all kinds of cars ... everything from clapped out pick up trucks to S class Mercedes. I used to know people that owned and drove Rolls-Royce's, some of these Rolls actually represented the owner economic status, but more than likely their Rolls displayed a status that was far beyond what their owners had actually attained.

As a member of a Jaguar owner's club some fellow members would tell me about the "respect" they received when they pulled up in their "Jag!" Even though "their Jag" was a bit on the far side of "past its' prime" and cost the owner a used economy car price (or less).

I wonder what driving a 17 year old Cadillac Seville, all be it one in nice condition, say about me. I suspect it says its' owner is as far from "state of the art" as is his car.

Ah, well, I just thought I 'd get Forums members opinions.

OffThaHorseCEO
06-12-12, 05:52 PM
I think it depends on the person who is doing the judging (also the location)

When people see my keys on my desk (SRX or Allanté) many say "Oh, a Cadillac! I need to work with you!" or "Mr money driving a Cadillac!"

I quickly say something along the lines of "Yea right, its an 89, nothin special" (replace 89 with 04 if its the SRX) but they usually come back with something like "so?! its still a cadillac!"

I enjoy driving my cars but i dont feel as if they validate me in any way or make me a certain type of person

vincentm
06-12-12, 06:20 PM
My car stands out alot at my job in the medical field people (especially doctors) drive alot of Lexus' BMW and Mercedes, and Hondas, alot of Hondas. Everyone at the hospital is familiar with my car, they all know whos it is.

Whst it says about me? Ive no idea, but im told i dont look my age and that me driving an Eldorado people have joked around saying i probabaly get harrased by cops for being hispanic and driving a Lac.. lol

Stingroo
06-12-12, 06:40 PM
Frankly, I don't concern myself with such matters. I drive it because I like it, not because I seek the admiration and opinions of others.

:coffee:

drewsdeville
06-12-12, 06:52 PM
Asking the owner might not return a good answer anyway. Many enthusiasts let their minds run wild with these kinds of questions - creating their own illusions of what others think, perhaps with the help of twisting/embellishing what others have said. A lot of them think their car says more than it really does. Others think their car says something it doesn't. You should make a thread that asks "what does the previous poster's car say about them?" It'll still be answered by an enthusiast, but at least it would be from a 3rd party.

A lot of people might be entertained or even surprised at the responses.

Submariner409
06-12-12, 06:54 PM
I could care less.

(If you drive a Flapfish 34 because you believe people will think well of you, you have a very serious psychological/personality problem.)

thebigjimsho
06-12-12, 07:06 PM
I could care less.

(If you drive a Flapfish 34 because you believe people will think well of you, you have a very serious psychological/personality problem.)

So you care.

Aztec ETC ECS
06-12-12, 07:40 PM
I saw a bumper sticker once that said, "A clean car is the sign of a sick mind".

20 years later, I'm still tryin' to figure out what that means. :suspense:

Some people say, "Having a nice car is a compensation for some inadequacy". :jerkit:

I like having a car that's nice to look at through my window and something that not everyone has.

Never owned a Chevy and when I take my Olds to the track I hear, "Nice to see something different." :cool2:

ShapeShifter
06-12-12, 08:00 PM
I don't know what all others say or really care what they think about me and the vehicles I drive.

But my family and some neighbors do ask; "how the hell do you keep finding these clean a$$ used low mileage vehicles?" My answer is, by the Grace of God, Patience and the Internet.

BIGREECE
06-12-12, 08:14 PM
I finally have headroom and seat comfort, I love older true american LUXURY cars. I'm 6 foot 9 about 295lbs and love Fleetwwods and Roadmasters!

Aztec ETC ECS
06-12-12, 08:19 PM
I could care less.
How does that make you feel? :coffee:

Stingroo
06-12-12, 08:49 PM
I could care less.

How much less?

ryannel2003
06-12-12, 09:45 PM
My car: "Damn that guy is driving a BMW... what a douche."

truckinman
06-12-12, 09:57 PM
Frankly, I don't concern myself with such matters. I drive it because I like it, not because I seek the admiration and opinions of others.

I'm to quote Richard Hammond on a special in the US when he was is the Porsche GT3 and Jeremy the SLS and James the 458 Italia.... "sure the other two will get all the admiring looks, but that's my point. I'm not driving this car for others satisfaction. I'm driving it bc I LIKE driving it....END".

ThumperPup
06-12-12, 09:58 PM
The ones who know me just say that's te duch that dropped 30k into a 12 year old car on 3 years and none of it was custom except the breaks lol

Faded Crest
06-12-12, 09:59 PM
The question is being skewed a little bit here... The question is "What does your car really say about you?" A lot people are answering as if the question is "What do others think of you based on your car?" I think there is a difference. You might not care what people think, but your choice of car still says something about you.

What does my '94 Eldorado say about me?

1. I don't believe in spending a lot of money on a car (or can't afford to)
2. I probably don't carry kids around since it's a 2 door
3. I must enjoy it because I keep it looking and running good
4. I must not care about driving a late model car because it's 18 years old

What does it say to me about myself?

Since I bought my first Eldorado back in 1987, I suppose it says that my taste in cars was established at an early age and has remained just about the same ever since.

It says that with me, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

It says about me that I don't like change and somewhat resent "progress." That I prefer the old to the new and feel a twisted sense of pride in the fact that my personal car is considered to be outmoded by most of the general public.

Is that the idea, Orconn?

Come on, you guys can do better than that. Have a little fun. We all know that nobody cares about what you drive except yourself... right?

drewsdeville
06-12-12, 10:14 PM
I think we took off the way we did because of how Orconn worded his first post - what people say about "jag" owners, Cadillac Seville is "state of the art", and he claims he wonders what people say about him with his car. That's fine, and expected. Orconn tends to post a lot about image and perception in one way or another, not just cars. It's more important to some than others.

That said, while I think that while your approach is more interesting, everyone has nailed what Orconn was getting at.

Faded Crest
06-12-12, 10:22 PM
Perhaps your right. But I think my interpretation is more interesting. I'm with everybody else on the image part, who gives a crap? If I cared about image I would drive a different car, dress differently, and mow my lawn regularly :rolleyes: But like Popeye, "I yam what I yam."

BIGREECE
06-12-12, 10:25 PM
Alot of people abuse there cars and don't even care what people think, I see cars that I would love to have only to see them being deemed for expensive repair
for the waiting fool in line, probably me, you, any of us. Some cars have a look on the outside that sales it, always look under the skirt, hmmmm?

drewsdeville
06-12-12, 10:38 PM
Perhaps your right. But I think my interpretation is more interesting. I'm with everybody else on the image part, who gives a crap? If I cared about image I would drive a different car, dress differently, and mow my lawn regularly :rolleyes: But like Popeye, "I yam what I yam."

I agree. You can't impress everyone - it's impossible, so why is it worth the effort? Even if you could - what does it mean? Why does it matter?

We think that like because we look at questions like this from the other side. We know that when we see a nice car, we admire and think about the car. The driver? Unimportant/forgettable. Tom Brokaw could pull up in a '71 Hemi Cuda and I might not even notice him driving it.

A car has never inspired me to go meet someone because I thought the car "spoke" to me about it's owner, assuming he/she was interesting.

The machine itself is beautiful - the driver is just another average Joe until he (not his car) has proven otherwise.

Faded Crest
06-12-12, 10:46 PM
This came up before somewhere, the fact that any "Joe Shmoe" can go "lease" any new car if his credit is good totally removes any sense of status from a new automobile. In fact, for me it has the opposite effect. When I see someone driving a new car, I think to myself "The car probably owns him." Not the other way around. And I look at the driver to see what somebody looks like who is willing to take that kind of a beating on depreciation if they actually bought it. And if they leased it, they will be giving it back with nothing to show for their money. Sorry, but in my book, unless and until you have possession of the title, all you have is a mortgage (or "rent")on a car that will probably be worth 1/10 of what was paid for it by the time it is paid off. Millionaires drive nice, unassuming used cars and pay cash. People that drive new cars for the status are only impressing themselves.

Faded Crest
06-12-12, 11:07 PM
I think we took off the way we did because of how Orconn worded his first post - what people say about "jag" owners, Cadillac Seville is "state of the art", and he claims he wonders what people say about him with his car. That's fine, and expected. Orconn tends to post a lot about image and perception in one way or another, not just cars. It's more important to some than others.

That said, while I think that while your approach is more interesting, everyone has nailed what Orconn was getting at.

I went back and re-read Orconn's first post... I don't know, I think he was sort of on the same track as me, at least partly.

I wonder what driving a 17 year old Cadillac Seville, all be it one in nice condition, say about me. I suspect it says its' owner is as far from "state of the art" as is his car.

Ah, well, I just thought I 'd get Forums members opinions.

ben.gators
06-12-12, 11:09 PM
Let's see.... What do others think of me based on my car:

Old school, conservative, sophisticated (or trying to show he is sophisticated), a little bit perfectionist, may have a few extra dollars, does not give a rat's ass about dying polar bears.....

What actually does my Cadillac say about me:

A little bit Conservative in terms of actions and decisions, but not primitive though. Also it says I am perfectionist.

Financial wise, my STS sends very misleading signals to others, especially to the people that are not aware of market condition. Some may think I own a Cadillac because I am rich! But actually my Seville STS says I want to save money without sacrificing style or comfort! I have good salary and credit and will have no problem in financing a brand new car! But that is not financially a right decision for me now! So I drive this 13 year old STS, which delivers good style and performance at very low cost, to save money!

ryannel2003
06-12-12, 11:22 PM
Honestly when I had the STS people thought I was a young guy trapped in a 60 year olds body. I always had the "old man" car... which was fine with me because I loved it so much I didn't care if anybody thought that or not.

Stingroo
06-12-12, 11:37 PM
Ah, yes. I get the "You hate the environment" nutjobs coming up to me at gas stations and the like from time to time.

Generally I just ignore them with a smile on my face. How it irritates them so....

I guess, thinking of other people's perception, at school some people seem to think I have a lot of money because I'm always modifying the wagon (lol, if only they knew, right?), others think it's weird, don't understand it, or think it's too loud.

Oh well. It's still fun.

talismandave
06-13-12, 12:11 AM
I love the fact that everyone says they don't care what other people think of their car. Yet we all post photos of them hoping others enjoy them.
:kewlpic: When positive comments are posted, we respond with glee.:thankyou: God forbid someone makes a slightly disparaging remark we are blazing up the forum with arguments. :fan:

I for one do care what people think of my car. I go out of my way to make it look as good as I can not only for me but also because I enjoy having someone compliment me on it when I park. Are you all really trying to convince me that you don't enjoy it when someone likes your car?:xbs: I can see where someone would say they didn't buy a car to impress people. I don't do that either. I am not crushed when someone don't like my car. If someone (or even everyone in some cases with cars I have owned!) doesn't like my car I don't want to get rid of it or park in the "back lot" because of it. But hell yes I care! :yup:

Stingroo
06-13-12, 12:17 AM
Nah. Honestly, it doesn't bother me one bit if someone gives negative criticism. Like I said, that's why I drive it.

Faded Crest
06-13-12, 12:32 AM
There is a big difference in caring to display my car to some Bozo out on the street vs. someone here on the forum who appreciates what it is and is here specifically because of their love of Cadillacs.

The general public is a whole different story. In the area where I live there seem to be very few people with an original thought in their head where automobiles are concerned. Hondas, Kias and Priuses (plural-Priusi?) crowd the roads. So even if some stranger did compliment me on my car, I would be pretty much indifferent to their opinion unless we had some common point of reference... Like driving some kind of vintage car themselves. One of the reasons I enjoy this forum is that we all pretty educated about our Cadillacs and understand their intangible value as more than just another car.

Stingroo
06-13-12, 12:34 AM
Plural of Prius is Prii.

There was a contest to decide that.

...Seriously.

Faded Crest
06-13-12, 12:35 AM
Plural of Prius is Prii.

There was a contest to decide that.

...Seriously.

You're kidding! :doh: :ack:

Stingroo
06-13-12, 12:38 AM
I shit you not, good sir.

ThumperPup
06-13-12, 01:34 AM
ok here is another spin on how mine and what it says about me

people realize weather its old or new its a nice cadillac drives good nice and relaxing
has some pick up and go when i need it
but its comfterible i have a little class
and i enjoy it

brandondeleo
06-13-12, 04:21 AM
I get absolute hell because of what I drive, but it only seems to be from this forum. Everybody seems to judge based on the label and not the car itself. I used to care a lot more about what people thought, but not as much anymore. You're desensitizing me. :lol: Everyone else I know loves Sandy!

Say what you will, I love my car. It's truly enjoying the road, the setting, and the open air in an inexpensive way. I'd like to think that my car says that I'm fun and I value comfort and style.

By the way, I voted Priuses.

The-Dullahan
06-13-12, 04:34 AM
My car (Whichever I am driving at the time) says this about me:

"He needs to be someplace and the car was a more reasonable option than walking."

I have never dealt with the fuel economy "nutjobs". Probably because my Ford is a fairly common vehicle, the Lincoln, Chevy and Pontiac tend to be exempt from these idiots, due to their vintage, the work truck is...well, it's a truck, it can't be electric, the bike is a bike (But more often my second favourite doorstop) and most importantly, the greatest of all my vehicles, the Cadillac...well...

The Cadillac naturally gives off a different type of halo, a sort of "Don't go ask questions" vibe and I have never had this issue. When someone is having a conversation with me about it, jokes about MPG will be made, by myself or them, but I have never heard anyone make a negative remark about my Cadillac's fuel economy. I'm not sure how I would react. I guess I would tell them it is actually a biodiesel and then explain the chemical reaction of cavitone on organic matter and why it makes a more reliable and efficient form of fuel than petrol does, and how like traditional organic oils, it is compatible with all diesel engines...then wait for them to catch onto what I was implying.

I drive it or any of my others because I like them and because it is more practical than riding my horse everywhere. As for what it "says" to people about me, it depends on the type of person. I really could not care less what they are "hearing" my car "say" to them. As an example, I was recently branded an "Attention Whore" on The Face Books for (and these are the exact words) "driving a Pontiac" by a Forum member from here (Or rather their seventeenth sock puppet account on Facebook that I have had to block thus far) and while my cars most certainly DO get attention (Relatively speaking in terms of how much each is "in the field" with the general, unbiased public, the truck gets more attention than the Pontiac) I really can't help it and actively attempt to keep a low profile as much as possible, even resorting to denying knowledge of the owner of my cars if someone asks and it is most definitely not the reason I drive them. It seems the conundrum solves itself in that if my cars get attention because other people like them, it stands to reason that perhaps I like them too. This is probably the case with most people... Seriously; when/if you see a car identical/similar to your own, does it not immediately catch your eye? This is probably because you like that type of car and therefore can be expected to notice one. Hell, you may even have liked them so much as that having been your main reason of buying a car in the first place - because you liked it. Realistically, if everyone but me died in a horrible cataclysm, I would continue to drive my cars, even without an "audience"...I mean, I would drive a lot of other peoples' too, but I would keep mine. :lildevil:

brandondeleo
06-13-12, 04:46 AM
Your Lincoln says "don't piss me off or you're dead." Especially the trunk contents. :suspect: :lol:

BigCadMan_1
06-13-12, 06:23 AM
Q: What does your car really say about you? A: I have no money & no taste!

Submariner409
06-13-12, 10:16 AM
"What does your car really say about you?"

Again, I could care less ..... about what either the car or the trucks "say" about me. I could drive just about any wheeled conveyance made and, as long as it was well-tuned, clean, and satisfied my driving desires what anyone else thinks of me in terms of association with THAT car is immaterial. The thread title implies that "luxury car" drivers tend to be the type that stare at themselves in the bathroom mirror at 5 AM.........or even fit the mold of Carly Simon's hit "You're So Vain........". If the shoe fits, wear it. Heck yes, I enjoy a "That's a neat truck/car" comment - but that has not a thing to do with what it is or why I drive it.

Now...........How do I stuff a Northstar sand rail engine into a Prius - or Yaris ???

truckinman
06-13-12, 10:21 AM
This came up before somewhere, the fact that any "Joe Shmoe" can go "lease" any new car if his credit is good totally removes any sense of status from a new automobile. In fact, for me it has the opposite effect. When I see someone driving a new car, I think to myself "The car probably owns him." Not the other way around. And I look at the driver to see what somebody looks like who is willing to take an ass-kicking on depreciation if they actually bought it. And if they leased it, they will be giving it back with nothing to show for their money. Sorry, but in my book, unless and until you have possession of the title, all you have is a mortgage (or "rent")on a car that will probably be worth 1/10 of what was paid for it by the time it is paid off. Millionaires drive nice, unassuming used cars and pay cash. People that drive new cars for the status are only impressing themselves.

I agree. I've only ever bought one brand new car m, a 2006 (in 2005) jeep wrangler rubicon that I spent 32 grand on. The sec I drove it off the lot, it dropped 7 grand in value... Never again will I buy brand new. Plus, not to mention it's not as much fun buying brand new. To me, 90% of the fun of buying a car is the hunt. You may have a very specific car in mind, and then find something completely different on ur hunt. Plus, to go along with the topic of this thread, I thin buying a used car says more about a mans character than buying new. To me, buying new says you like it easy. You don't have a real passion for cars. To you, buying a car is no different than me buying a pair of shoes. I'm not saying that about all who buy new, but a lot. They just want to go to the dealer, tell the salesmen exactly what they want, and be done.

But, as I said, to me buying used youve gotta go on a hunt so to speak. You never know what you'll find. I've gone places looking for a certain car, and left with a different one bc it suited me more. Was more a "me" kinda car. Like when I was 20, 7 years ago, I went to a Lexus dealer looking for a 98-2000 Lexus LS400, but after looking at all their used cars, I found the GS400 to be more me it was much quicker, and far as Lexus goes, was a lot sportier to drive than the LS. So I went in there for an LS, but drove out with the GS.

The-Dullahan
06-13-12, 11:15 AM
Your Lincoln says "don't piss me off or you're dead." Especially the trunk contents. :suspect: :lol:

My Lincoln is actually probably my least intimidating car. Maybe because it's not black, like the others (Save the Chevy, which my Father always kept red)

Most associates were surprised when I bought it. One evening I said "You know, I like these. I'll get one some day." and met different responses. I had found and purchased the car by the following morning.

Faded Crest
06-13-12, 11:43 AM
Perhaps a better way to ask the question might be to start a thread called... "Why did you choose the particular car you drive?" Doesn't seem like anybody wants imagine what others think or they just don't care.

ThumperPup
06-13-12, 12:49 PM
in the area i am staying for the next few days with a friend
it specificaly says Drug dealer LOL
no but seriously there are like 4 Escalades in the area with these ghetto boys driving them that cant be any older then 20 or something like that
with there 26 in rims and windows down and music on
can they scream come get me any loader lol

truckinman
06-13-12, 02:41 PM
I hate driving my car to my best friends place. He lives in government funded housing, and my shiny black caddy sticks out like a sore thumb amongst the rusted out pick ups, and early 90s cavaliers with a donut on one wheel. I always feel I've gotta keep an eye on it there. That's one place I go where I DON'T like having everyone notice my car as I roll in. Lol

orconn
06-13-12, 02:44 PM
^^^ yeah, the NARC's might think you are amking a delivery!

RobbieB
06-13-12, 04:32 PM
I think proly says that I like shiny things...lol

---
R. Bryant
Charter Bus IN (http://www.trailways.com/team-trailways/motorcoach-listing-companies/companies/excursions-in)

CadillacLuke24
06-13-12, 05:58 PM
Hahahaha as always, this thread delivers :lol:

What mah Cadillac says about me:

I buy WHAT I WANT, and I take nobody's opinion into consideration except my own (and my Dad's :D)
I'm not a freeloading mooch off my parents like 99.99999% of my classmates.
Not being a mooch, I have to budget.
I love my car, and generally exert a great deal of effort in order to keep in in top condition
Right now, my driving skills (and luck) could use some work.

I get compliments often on my car (Last garage sale we had, some people said they wanted to buy my car :D), and I love those compliments. However, I don't drive my Cadillac just for those. I got a lot of grief from classmates for my vehicle choice, and never did it phase me one iota. Like I said, I buy, drive, and maintain what I like.

talismandave
06-13-12, 06:30 PM
Hahahaha as always, this thread delivers :lol:
I love my car, and generally exert a great deal of effort in order to keep in in top condition
I get compliments often on my car (Last garage sale we had, some people said they wanted to buy my car :D), and I love those compliments.
You sad, sad ego manic you. Why can't you be indifferent to compliments like a true auto enthusiast?:bigroll:

hueterm
06-13-12, 08:26 PM
The ones who know me just say that's te duch that dropped 30k into a 12 year old car on 3 years and none of it was custom except the breaks lol

Since you brought it up, people that don't know you pretty much say the same thing...

The-Dullahan
06-13-12, 08:57 PM
The breaks were custom? Who would spend $30k on custom faultiness/failure? That's just stupidity.

The-Dullahan
06-13-12, 09:01 PM
Perhaps a better way to ask the question might be to start a thread called... "Why did you choose the particular car you drive?" Doesn't seem like anybody wants imagine what others think or they just don't care.

Throughout my life, I have found extensive difficulty trying to imagine the opinions of most other people or the reasoning behind their decisions. Unsurprisingly, you're all too weird and I will never understand you properly, so I just sort of gave up trying when I was around ten years old. What frightens me are the things that are considered to be "normal" interests, activities or lifestyles. Thusly, I cannot adequately fathom what "others" think of my cars (Which is really a BAD thing to judge someone by, methinks, because there can be no consistent or recurring constant to categorizing people by their cars)

However, presuming people are as rational as myself, the reason we have all bought our cars is simple. We liked them. This is usually a good reason to buy anything.

ryannel2003
06-13-12, 10:38 PM
I actually think the word of "Why did you choose the particular car you drive" is a better thread title because you would then get the actual reasons why people bought the cars instead of what others really think. Again, I think BMW's are douchey cars and I think it says I'm a douche and a badge whore. That's fine, I can live with that.

The reason why I chose the car I drive is because I wanted a sports sedan, and there is none better than the BMW 3 Series. The propeller badge is magical, I swear!

talismandave
06-13-12, 11:19 PM
Asking the owner might not return a good answer anyway. Many enthusiasts let their minds run wild with these kinds of questions - creating their own illusions of what others think, perhaps with the help of twisting/embellishing what others have said. A lot of them think their car says more than it really does. Others think their car says something it doesn't. You should make a thread that asks "what does the previous poster's car say about them?" It'll still be answered by an enthusiast, but at least it would be from a 3rd party.

A lot of people might be entertained or even surprised at the responses.

I think Faded Crest hit it on the head with what Orconn was getting at. This sounds like an interesting idea, If a photo of the car were included. The year and model by them self don't tell the same story as the modification and upkeep do. I am afraid what it would devolve into though. I see lots of hurt feelings.:rant2:

gary88
06-13-12, 11:36 PM
The reason why I chose the car I drive is because I wanted a sports sedan, and there is none better than the BMW 3 Series. The propeller badge is magical, I swear!

It's actually just the colors of the Bavarian flag inserted into the logo of Rapp Motorwerke after it became BMW in 1917 whenr Karl Rapp left the company :squid:

http://www.fotw.net/images/d/de-by7a.gif

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_zZfa1aHvl5Q/SRg88iBlhlI/AAAAAAAAEoI/L635aEdD6U8/s320/Rapp.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-13-12, 11:41 PM
Mine? People who don't know what a Marauder is probably think I'm an undercover cop or someone trying to look like a cop. The people that do know what it is compliment me on it. I've never had a car get as much attention as this one does.

ryannel2003
06-13-12, 11:48 PM
It's actually just the colors of the Bavarian flag inserted into the logo of Rapp Motorwerke after it became BMW in 1917 whenr Karl Rapp left the company :squid:

http://www.fotw.net/images/d/de-by7a.gif

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_zZfa1aHvl5Q/SRg88iBlhlI/AAAAAAAAEoI/L635aEdD6U8/s320/Rapp.jpg

I learned something new today... awesome! Thanks for the info, looks like I need to starting reading more into BMW's history.

cadillac kevin
06-14-12, 12:04 AM
People who see my car would probably think I'm an old person, a wigger (lord knows I got enough "when are you gunna put 24'z and woofers in dat, yo?" at college) or a redneck (because who else puts truck seats, much less truck bucket seats, in a cadillac. I'm sure anyone who looks in my car and sees a stabilitrak badge on the console will be quite confused.

MrHolland
06-14-12, 02:58 AM
I love the fact that everyone says they don't care what other people think of their car. Yet we all post photos of them hoping others enjoy them.
:kewlpic: When positive comments are posted, we respond with glee.:thankyou: God forbid someone makes a slightly disparaging remark we are blazing up the forum with arguments. :fan:

I for one do care what people think of my car. I go out of my way to make it look as good as I can not only for me but also because I enjoy having someone compliment me on it when I park. Are you all really trying to convince me that you don't enjoy it when someone likes your car?:xbs: I can see where someone would say they didn't buy a car to impress people. I don't do that either. I am not crushed when someone don't like my car. If someone (or even everyone in some cases with cars I have owned!) doesn't like my car I don't want to get rid of it or park in the "back lot" because of it. But hell yes I care! :yup:
Well spoken sir!!

Jesda
06-14-12, 03:02 AM
It says I'm an eccentric... or architect... or both.

Submariner409
06-14-12, 09:16 AM
I learned something new today... awesome! Thanks for the info, looks like I need to starting reading more into BMW's history.

You might want to read this............. http://www.logoblog.org/bmw_logo.php

ShapeShifter
06-14-12, 09:50 AM
The question is being skewed a little bit here... The question is "What does your car really say about you?"....
Given the above, then all my vehicles say that I'm a sporty and young at heart old coot...or a wanna be. lol

talismandave
06-14-12, 10:21 AM
Well spoken sir!!
Thank you mrholland, I thought that Luke and Chad and I were the only enthusiasts on this forum that took pride in their cars and actually enjoyed it when other people noticed!:thumbsup:

Faded Crest
06-14-12, 11:01 AM
^^^ I appreciate it when people who have Cadillac or vintage car credibility take notice, but otherwise I consider it casting pearls before swine.

96Fleetwood
06-14-12, 11:38 AM
My vehicles have changed drastically over the last couple years... so I guess the statements they make change as well?..? I thought I would have a 2009+ CTS-V by now but priorities change.

BMW X5: "stuck up soccer mom" ... funny because we do not have children yet
GS350: "boring" ... this is the most unexciting vehicle I have owned to date. But now that I make house calls on the weekend, I needed a reliable car that was nice to use as a mobile office.
Trans Am: "must be a penis extension" ...

:crybaby:

MrHolland
06-14-12, 12:12 PM
Thank you mrholland, I thought that Luke and Chad and I were the only enthusiasts on this forum that took pride in their cars and actually enjoyed it when other people noticed!:thumbsup:
Add me to that list as well!!

orconn
06-14-12, 01:27 PM
Add me to the list as well! With the cars I've had over the years I've owned over the years I've often been ask about the cars, mostly in a complimentary way, and I've always been happy to tell folks about them.

My most recent memorable encounter was with a young boy, about 9, who was riding his bike by our house when the Jaguar E-type coupe was sitting in the driveway with a fitted car cover over it. The boy spotting me in the yard came over and ask what kind of car it was. I told him it was an old Jaguar and would he like to see it? "Yes" he said and the two of us carefully removed the cover, his eyes got the size of saucers and he exclaimed "Wow, that is really beautiful!." I let him sit in it and, throwing concerns about liability aside, I took him for a short ride. And another E-type fan was confirmed!

I remember when I was a little kid of seven and as a special treat or reward my mother would take me to Peter Satori Motors on Colorado Blvd in Pasadena so I could look at the MGs, Jags, Alfas, and of course the Rolls and Bentleys. The beauty of their lines and the intoxicating smell of English leather seduced me for life to a love of high quality cars both formal and sporting. The salesmen always tolerated my looking at the cars on the show room floor and would answer any questions I might have. Actually this willingness to indulge a young kid's curiosity paid off for man who became my friend, George Pelling (who eventually became the top Rolls-Royce salesman in the country), when I later almost bought a Bentley from him and did buy several Jaguar XJ's from him over the years.

I have always enjoyed including others in my love for cars .... especially young boys and girls who might also develop a passion for things automotive!

97EldETC
06-14-12, 03:04 PM
Outlook: kid driving his conservative mom's wanna-be SUV.
Rav4: kids first car
F350: Probably stole it from his dad
Lesabre: inherited from grandma
Accent: Kids first car...eww that is an ugly little thing
IS350: His hot shot mom's car
Eldorado: his grandparent's car

All in all when people look at me driving any of these cars, I just look at them and smile (sometimes). To me, I am just another car/new driver on the road. Of course though, my eldorado is an exception. It is a beautiful full size coupe that should still be in production (SO WHAT IF THE CAR HAS A FEW SLOW SELLING YEARS!!!!). I do somewhat care about what people think about me. Who doesn't? The car I drive mostly is of course is my Cadillac, and what my car says about me: I love comfort, the color white, chrome, and a vehicle that offers a LOT of learning experiences.

talismandave
06-14-12, 03:14 PM
Imagine if that same asst. of cars were still in that showroom today! Not only would it be a joy to pay to look at, but the value of the cars....:)
I have owned more older and odder cars than the general public. I too have always enjoyed the opportunity to share my car and it's history with the people who compliment or ask. I even have complimented others for restoring older cars and sharing them so the brand history is not lost. Dose it stroke my ego? I'd be lying if I said no. Do I like to admit that? No. Is that ego boost the reason I buy and enjoy odd cars? No.
If someone asks, I feel it is my duty as the fortunate keeper of a fine piece of history to share it with everyone, even those who may not appreciate it like we do. The best weapon against ignorance is education.:thumbsup:

talismandave
06-14-12, 03:49 PM
Outlook: kid driving his conservative mom's wanna-be SUV.
Rav4: kids first car
F350: Probably stole it from his dad
Lesabre: inherited from grandma
Accent: Kids first car...eww that is an ugly little thing
IS350: His hot shot mom's car
Eldorado: his grandparent's car

All in all when people look at me driving any of these cars, I just look at them and smile (sometimes). To me, I am just another car/new driver on the road. Of course though, my eldorado is an exception. It is a beautiful full size coupe that should still be in production (SO WHAT IF THE CAR HAS A FEW SLOW SELLING YEARS!!!!).....

The car I drive mostly is of course is my Cadillac, and what my car says about me: I love comfort, the color white, chrome, and a vehicle that offers a LOT of learning experiences.

That was why when I had my Caddy at 19 I was glad it had the "Pimp Pkg" on it! No one would mistake it for anything a "dad" would drive!

I couldn't agree more on the Eldo. The thought of Cadillac without an Eldorado in the line is too sad to even comment on!

I have always loved white cars. Whenever I would say that to someone younger they would look at me like I landed in the parking lot in a spaceship. A few years back I figured out why. They grew up in the "chrome-less" years. to them, anything painted white looked like a bread truck!

EChas3
06-14-12, 09:59 PM
I shit you not, good sir.

I had to respond with my wife's response:

The plural of Prius?

Cluster****.

EChas3
06-14-12, 10:01 PM
Thank you Lord Cadillac.

I wrote what she said but you made me expreass it civily.

EChas3
06-14-12, 10:09 PM
What anyone else thinks isn't my problem; it's theirs.

MotownPimp
06-15-12, 03:18 PM
I buy cars (and motor cycles in the past) because I like the performance and or looks. I'm the opposite of the "keeping up with the Jones' type". But there is a bit of "attention whore" in me as well. When I buy cars such as my 350 Z or CTS Coupe, I know people will say " Cool wheels, Man". Not the reason I buy but definately a perk.

orconn
06-15-12, 03:40 PM
I had an uncle who would buy a top of the line Eldorado's, Lincoln Continental and even Mercedes and then proceed to his favorite bar in Hollywood and park the car under a large billboard sign where he knew for certain it would be covered in bird droppings when he left the bar several hours later. Within a week of purchase his new car's interior would be littered with trash. He may have taken his cars to a car wash, but I couldn't testify to that as fact. There were those among us who would swear that Uncle Continental's could destroy a brand new car within a week of purchase .... and I ca think back on over six different cars he had as proof.

His living quarters weren't any better, although he did have a cleaning lady who made it somewhat tidy once a week.

You may be thinking that Uncle Floyd was some sort of well off weirdo, but in fact he was internationally recognized as being brilliant in his field. He was a PhD. who held the record for the highest selling university textbook in history for over twenty five years. At one point he was head of his department at the very prominent American university where he was on faculty. He also was also elected as president of his national professional association.

When dressed for business he always looked good in a business suit, but when the day was done Floyd dressed in ""holey"" shorts and t-shirts that would make today's casual dressers look like they were going to a formal occasion.

I can personally attest that Uncle Floyd was brilliant, one of the intellectually most acute men I have ever known. And remained so until his death in his late seventies.

So what did this man's car say about him?

Faded Crest
06-15-12, 03:45 PM
It occurs to me now why no longer care about comments and compliments over my cars. I think it's because I have driven many so cars over the years that would be considered special interest. I would think nothing of using them as my daily driver. I have driven a 1959 Buick Electra 225, a '68 Electra 225 convertible, a 1976 Eldorado convertible, a 1957 Cadillac Series 61 sedan, a '58 60 Sepcial, a '62 Coupe Deville, '68 Sedan and Coupe Devilles, 2 or 3 different '64 Sedan de Villes, a '62 Ford Galaxy 500XL, a '66 Lincoln Continental, a '76 Mark IV Givency, and the list goes on and on. I guess the novelty over getting attention over my car wore off many years ago. But I suppose I enjoyed the attention back then.

More recently I got a lot of attention when we would take our '74 Bluebird Wanderlodge on a camping trip. I can't remember more than 2 or 3 times getting gas when someone didn't approach me and ask about it.

Faded Crest
06-15-12, 03:46 PM
(glitch)

CadillacLuke24
06-15-12, 08:15 PM
I do know one thing about what Faded's Cadillacs say about him:

He certainly does have an affinity for Cadillac automobiles. That we can be sure of. :D

Faded Crest
06-15-12, 08:21 PM
Affinity? Compulsion? Addiction? :ohnoes:

ShapeShifter
06-17-12, 10:13 AM
Affinity? Compulsion? Addiction? :ohnoes:
Passionate!:yup:

CadillacLuke24
06-20-12, 03:26 AM
Passionate. A passion I need to acquire the bargain hunting skills and cash for :D

ShapeShifter
06-20-12, 10:29 AM
In America you have the right to make as much Money as you can. That's why I print whatever Cash is needed.
--------
Ok, jokey joke Fed's....stand down now.

CetriKomaDevet
06-22-12, 04:46 PM
Mine says drug dealer. People with nice new cars turn their nose up at me and people in the hood love it. I could care less, i love the styling, couch-like seats, and exhaust note. Just wish that it wasnt fwd.

The-Dullahan
06-23-12, 03:50 AM
Is it me or do people in this thread keep saying "I could care less" when they apparently meant "couldn't" or so, at least I would presume they did.

When did this phenomenon start? It is quite curious.

brandondeleo
06-23-12, 05:14 AM
Mine says drug dealer. People with nice new cars turn their nose up at me and people in the hood love it. I could care less, i love the styling, couch-like seats, and exhaust note. Just wish that it wasnt fwd.
I live in a small town (~20,000). A very white town, at that. When driving around in a silver DeVille with blacked out windows, a huge stereo system, and a billet grille, I got some funny looks. :lol:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/293927_1868863700220_575600317_n.jpg

ShapeShifter
06-23-12, 11:57 AM
Nice Car!

I live in a small town (~20,000). A very white town, at that...
For Gods Sake Man!......grab a brush and splash on some color.:yup:

orconn
06-23-12, 12:05 PM
The funny looks were about .... they were expecting Granny Goose and saw Jack the Beanstalk instead!

Bro-Ham
06-23-12, 09:37 PM
Interesting thread.

My car is a 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance in Colonial Yellow with matching Light Yellow Elk Grain Vinyl Roof and Burnished Gold overstuffed loose-cushion look shiny polyester seats with artificial fur Tangier carpeting under foot. It is over the top to some, outdated to others, noticed by most everyone because it is unusual to see a car like it rolling around as everyday transportation, especially in such nice condition. I love the car so whatever it may be saying about me is OK.

Wait, I almost forgot to mention that I know my car annoys prius owners since the 7.0 litre 425 cubic inch V8 engine in my 4,500 pound car single handedly horribly and irresponsibly drinks all the gas those icky little cars save. If that says something about me then I'm perfectly well with it. :)

Just for Orr, who mentioned seductive British cars, I've owned 5 RR's and one Bentley. All were a delight and more fun than a person should be allowed to have. And it is hard to resist wet looking deep mirror paint, perfectly polished stainless steel bright work, sinfully scented leather, gorgous polished wood everywhere the eye can see, deeply soft lambswool carpets, and that long hood with that majestic little Charles Sykes statue of the spirit of ecstasy leading the way to fabulous cocktail lounges near and far. I'm sure most people who paid more attention to me than the car likely thought I was a rich and undeserving dilettante. One person I knew who had an opinion was the cashier at the RR dealer I serviced my cars who had to snicker at the insanity of people like me who were nuts enough to plunk down their Amex for the never ending $10 and $12 grand service and repair escapades. Oh well, I'm sure it once again means my car labels me as a nut, but, as many have said, I don't quite give a hoot because I believe in living all you can! :)

Tony Alvarado
04-02-13, 03:16 AM
It says "better than walkin" haha

The-Dullahan
04-02-13, 06:26 PM
^Sort of what I came up with.

"He needs to be someplace and the car was a more reasonable option than walking."

I wouldn't say I prefer driving to walking though.

As for what cars may say about others, allow me to brandish a quote. Something I said the other day that has gained immense traction and already become well known in central Florida and beyond.

"I want to marry a girl who drives a BMW...because she has poor taste, but good money"

Which was said after an...event...with a girl out by the airport.

I think that should be printed on T-Shirts and I am pretty certain that it will be.

orconn
04-03-13, 01:36 PM
^^^ That gave me a good laugh, Chamus! A guy that wears kilts and funny shoes as regular clothing, drives a Cadillac hearse (or two) isn't trying to say something about himself via his car, etc? "Better than walking!" Give me a break!

The-Dullahan
04-03-13, 02:38 PM
It's a cultural thing. Three things a man a needs are Boots, a Kilt and a Hearse. There are other necessities in life, but those three definitely make the list. No one was ever surprised I tracked down and purchased my car. I had always told them I would and by the time I needed my first car, it was common knowledge what I was questing for.

Someone once asked if I drove it for attention. Or claimed I did, rather and formed it like a question.

I explained that if there were a great cataclysm and everyone in the world except for me passed away, I would still drive it. I mean...I'd drive a lot of other peoples' cars...because SOMEONE would have to be using them, so it may as well be me (being the last man on earth).

One thing I learned about moving to Floridaland is I actually had to "dumb down" the way I dress. I assure you it used to be even different, but came off as too peculiar in this strange place. Did you know that if you have a wolf pelt over your shoulder, random Walmart employees will just sort of...come up and pet it? I mean, I know they are Walmart employees and are expected to be strange, but...

Tony Alvarado
04-06-13, 10:02 PM
Ok, it does say more than just "better than walking"... they're classy cars and I've wanted one since I was a kid, so I guess most cadillacs say "America and luxury"