: clunking sound?

Gilbert CTS-V
06-12-12, 02:38 PM
I have a 2007 V. The car runs great and am very satisfied with the performance. I have had no problems with it but I am hearing an unusual clunking noise. It happens when I am in stop and go traffic for a while. I will hear the clunking noise right under the center console as the car revs down as Im coming to a stop from a slow roll. Any ideas what this could be.

FutherMucker
06-12-12, 02:54 PM
Does it still have the dual mass flywheel?

Gilbert CTS-V
06-12-12, 03:11 PM
yes...all stock except for complete B&B headers, cats, and exhaust.

darkman
06-12-12, 03:27 PM
The 2004-2007 Vs come from the factory with a certain amount of driveline play, most of which is attributable to the design of the limited slip differential internals. Over time the deteriotation of certain other parts can amplify the condition. These parts include the differential bushing, the motor mounts, and the transmission mount on even low mileage Vs. On higher mileage Vs the list expands to include parts of the driveshaft and the dual-mass (spring-loaded) flywheel. Since the differential bushing, motor mounts, and transmission mounts can be visually inspected, I would start by checking those. (The motor mounts leak brown fluid on surrounding area when they fail.)

Gilbert CTS-V
06-12-12, 03:34 PM
cool...thank you for the info. the car has low miles and was purchased from the original owner who was a car nut as far as taking care of this thing. I will check it out. It feels fine until I get in stop and go traffic.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-13-12, 10:20 AM
Glad the community's feedback was helpful, Gilbert! Please keep us in the loop, and if you'd ever like me to research further on your behalf, I'm just an email away (Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com).

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

rand49er
06-13-12, 12:29 PM
... It feels fine until I get in stop and go traffic.Join the crowd. :rolleyes:

Gilbert CTS-V
06-13-12, 12:59 PM
Thanks for everything...Nice to be part of the group.

Faber
06-13-12, 01:05 PM
Does it happen when you are coming on/off the clutch? or is it just as the revs are coming down from higher to idle e.g. let off the gas & clunk OR let off the gas, shift gear, back on gas, then clunk OR let off the gas & out of gear then revs start dropping then clunk

Gilbert CTS-V
06-13-12, 07:59 PM
It happens when I let off gas and on the clutch. It only does it for a brief second or two then it stops. and only when it is in stop and go traffic. it wont do it just driving around normally. It feels like driveshaft under the center console.

Faber
06-14-12, 09:02 AM
I'd start with checking your diff bushing - easy enough to do. Then run down the list of other parts Darkman ran through

PJGross
06-14-12, 06:03 PM
Very easy to check the driveshaft carrier bearing/bushing as well. See my recent post:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/261844-fixed-my-corsa-rattle-issue.html

My symptom was the shaft banging against the exhaust when going over bumps. Very loud and annoying.

-PJ