: How to clean radiator overflow...

Nice Ride
06-12-12, 01:47 PM
09 escalade , had radiator power flushed. Hate the dingy brown film inside the overflow tank. What is the best stuff to clean the sludge / film? Tried straight radiator flush on one of my other trucks, no luck, makes me wonder what the flush solution really does diluted in an engine / Radiator. The only thing that I found that works is putting Gas in shake, let sit, shake some more, over time the agitation starts to break down the film, but it takes forever. I also tried engine de-greaser with no luck.

Yes the tank is removed off the truck.
Yes it is emptied and drained and flushed with water.
Yes it is throughly cleaned/rinsed before installing back on truck.

Any suggestions??

nathanjax
06-12-12, 01:59 PM
Any suggestions??

purchase a new one. The plastic has been stained and will never look like a new one. You might be able to get it close, but not the new "white" look

hcvone
06-12-12, 02:23 PM
As said get a new one
http://www.partstrain.com/store/details/Cadillac/Escalade/AC_Delco/Coolant_Reservoir/2007/AC15833723.html

Nice Ride
06-14-12, 01:52 PM
Wow, I was not expecting it to be so inexpensive ... Could have saved a lot of time on my other vehicle's. Going to order one... Thanks!!! Question though, very surprised straight radiator flush did not do anything when trying to clean one. Was able to get it clean with the steps above. Lots of work, but not worth is. Makes me wonder about the flush product...

hcvone
06-14-12, 03:12 PM
Wow, I was not expecting it to be so inexpensive ... Could have saved a lot of time on my other vehicle's. Going to order one... Thanks!!! Question though, very surprised straight radiator flush did not do anything when trying to clean one. Was able to get it clean with the steps above. Lots of work, but not worth is. Makes me wonder about the flush product...

It just seems to eat into the plastic staining it forever, they can start looking bad after 4-8 years normally