: Car finish, raven black

fastpharmd
06-12-12, 01:25 AM
Howdy,

Just purchased a 2009 CTS-V, super happy with it.

However, I could be happier about the finish on the clear coat.

I have never owned a black car before and man does it drive me nuts when it's not shining its best.

There is one door ding, and a few scratches where touch-up paint has been applied. There is a clear bra on the front, and it seems like on the hood, 2 of the doors, and quarter panels, it looks like it's smudged or streaked (gets worse when in direct sunlight).

If you get the clear coat buffed, will it smooth out the appearance of the touch-up paint, and make the whole thing glossy?

If so, is this something you would trust to an auto detailer, or who would be best trained to perform such a task?

Gotta keep it shiny.

larry arizona
06-12-12, 11:58 AM
Unless you know how to properly "wheel" a car don't try and leave it to a pro. You will burn an edge in no time. Sounds like all you need is some machine compounding and clay bar it and go with the Zaino Z5 and Z2 with Z6 abd Z8 as detailer. No good fix for touch ups. Black Raven is awesome all Zaino'd up!!!!

TriTexan
06-12-12, 12:19 PM
I had a jet black glossy car prior to my V. It has similar paint issues that were clearcoat wear related - pretty normal stuff for a gloss black car. Like yours, it looked amazing when cleaned up really good. I took it to a trusted local car wash with a detailing department...there's ONE guy there that all the locals say they trust to high speed buff their cars. His results were fantastic - he expertly polished the entire car using a very mild polish and gave it a wax. Many waxes and other products can fill in or temporarily cover up scratches, but his buffing job remained smooth and shiny long after the wax he applied was gone - proof that he really did polish out everything properly. I watched him do the whole job and I wouldn't attempt it myself. He does this all day every day on a lot of different cars, so I know his technqiue is way better than mine would ever be. It cost me about $175 for the job, but he spent a couple of hours on the buffing and it was well worth it. Larry is right - leave this to a professional, but I would seek out someone who is highly recommended. I also agree with Larry that you should carefully wash and clay bar your car first - ensure it is in the best possible condition before turning it over to your professional buffing guy.

thebigjimsho
06-12-12, 02:06 PM
It's not rocket science. Just like these forums are a valuable resource, so there are other forums

I learned myself using the Griot's Garage detailer handbook. Use a random orbital like Porter Cable's and do it yourself. The random orbital won't burn the paint...

larry arizona
06-12-12, 02:51 PM
I used to do autobody and paint while I was in college and a wheel is an amazing tool when used correctly. It can correct many a paint flaw or damage. It takes some time to become good and I burned many a edge as I learned. But now it is second nature and I only do a couple detail job a year on the side. Wool can burn fast, foam pads are very friendly compounds are tricky and all act somewhat different. Not hard to find a good wheel guy.

Once wheeled out, if you do the Groits, Zaino or other high quality polishing systems it will be years before you need it wheeled out again. I am sure the previous owner just didn't take care of the paint to the same standard as you would.

Clearcoat (top pigmentless paint layers over the basecoat color) is the SAME on all V's. The black just offers more reflectivity to show the clearcoats flaws and scratches.

flatrockguy
06-12-12, 05:48 PM
I'm with thebigjimsho, I use the Porter Cable orbital but I use the Adams products as well as their video's and It's not that hard. The only thing I stress, is to take your time. With time comes results and no mistakes. I usually put aside a full afternoon to completely detail the car.

Tedboss1
06-12-12, 05:58 PM
While back there was a thread about Black Raven paint - what wax and steps to make the car shine as new:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-detailing-appearance-modificationinterior-exterior-including/226091-black-raven-what-wax-steps-make.html

xmaciek82x
06-12-12, 06:35 PM
It's not rocket science. Just like these forums are a valuable resource, so there are other forums

I learned myself using the Griot's Garage detailer handbook. Use a random orbital like Porter Cable's and do it yourself. The random orbital won't burn the paint...

I agree. I just did mine over the weekend:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/xmaciek82x/DSC_6908.jpg

Mike02z
06-12-12, 07:53 PM
There are no shortcuts. You have to spend a lot of time to get the most out of your paint. I just did my V and I started out by washing it with Dawn. No need to dry it since the next step is to clay bar the entire car. This can take hours to do right. Next step is to wash again. No need to dry as you now have to break out the Random Orbital polisher. Depending on how many scratches and swirls you have will determine the aggressiveness of the polish you need to start with. Since my car had numerous scratches, I started with a fairly abrasive polish. I used Griots machine Polish 1. 3M makes good polish as well. After doing the entire car with 1, I went on to 2 then 3. After that I put on a coat of Rejex, removed it and let it sure for 12 hours. I then repeated this 2 more times. It has been raining here for days so I could not get the car out for pictures yet but it looks amazing. But here are a few pictures when I did this last year. The results this year were just as good if not better.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/jneon1/DSC_0016.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/jneon1/DSC_0015.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/jneon1/DSC_0005.jpg

Cabretti
06-12-12, 08:28 PM
Just wanted to add that you can even do some wet sanding of those touched up areas for better blending than you can get by polishing if you want to go nuts.