: Time to go cell phone shopping.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-12-12, 12:02 AM
My contract with Verizon expires next month and I'm in the market for a new cell phone and carrier.

Verizon overall is good, I've had good luck with them overall, except I have zero service at work. Can't make business calls without any service, so I'll be likely switching to AT&T, unless Sprint has something that will pull me away... I've never had Sprint before, but T-Mobile (which is dying in the US), Verizon and AT&T.

Right now, I've got a Motorola Droid X. I bought it the day it came out, in the middle of July of 2010. Overall, I've been pretty satisfied with it, aside from a few issues (slow running sometimes, been going through battery faster than usual lately) but having a 3G iPhone beforehand, I miss the iPhone's ease of use, intuitive functions, clean design and let's face it.....it works well with my Macbook. :) I'm not a total Apple fanboy, but I like their products.

However, I like the fact that the Droids are more customizable and open to the user than the Apple's are. I like the fact I can download soundboards and customize the text tones (but those distinctive ones get old fast) and you seem to get more for your money with the Droids.

Anyways, in my new phone, I want a great high resolution camera, as I use it to take a LOT of pictures (just passed the 3000 mark in my Droid), quick processor speed....I hate when my electronics feel slow or underpowered, good reliability, GREAT battery life, and a lot of different app choices. I don't use many apps on my phone, but it's always nice to have something fresh and useful.

I see myself going back to the iPhone 4, just because I miss how smooth and how intuitive it was and how well it uploaded the pics to my Macbook. I have a one year old 160GB iPod classic, so I don't need an iPhone for music storage, so I'd be happy with the 16GB iPhone 4S. But, then again, I haven't searched the Android market in quite a while, maybe I'll be able to get more for my money with the droid.

By the way, the reason I switched from an iPhone to a Droid is because the battery on my 3G was horrible. After 18 months of ownership, the iPhone could barely go 4 hours on a full charge and unlike the Droids, the battery was very hard to access and replace. I'm told that my 3G's battery issue was rare for an iPhone, most are better than that.

Anyways, what do you all recommend?

MrHolland
06-12-12, 12:12 AM
I have a Galaxy S2, besides the questionable battery life, I love it!!

hueterm
06-12-12, 12:15 AM
HTC One X/S (or Evo w/Sprint) is what I have. Love it so far. Outstanding camera w/zoom, burst shot, and zero lag shutter.

Samsung Galaxy S III will hit soon. Will slightly best the HTC when it hits.

Kev
06-12-12, 12:23 AM
Motorola 550 Flip. Solid as a rock! (heavy as one too ... )

MrHolland
06-12-12, 12:30 AM
HAHAHAHAAA I actually have one of those!!!

Kev
06-12-12, 12:31 AM
Ok, I'm just kidding!

But the Star TAC war really my alltime fav ....

talismandave
06-12-12, 12:34 AM
Every time I look at phones, or now tablets I feel like an idiot. I am rather new to all these things, and comparing all the junk to consider make my eyes roll like a slot machine.
That said, about 5 months ago I got sick of looking and bought a Samsung Vitality with cricket month to month. Mine has Muve music and is $55/ mo unlimited everything. I understand without the Muve is $45/mo unlimited. That would be the way I would go to do over. I have been very happy with the phone and service so far. I love the fact that if that changes, I just stop paying. I have a great dig.camera so I only use one on phone infrequently but have been pleased with it. I unplug at 8am and plug back in at 6-7pm and have never been left dry. I just heard that cricket will be selling i-phone 4 and 4s Prices seemed high but that is because you are buying the phone at one time not the rest of your plan.
Again, BIG novice...but that is my experience so far, I am anxious to see what others have and learn a few new things.

Kev
06-12-12, 12:36 AM
Wow, remember when you got the leather case with the belt clip? Walking around conspicuously with that brick on your hip? People be sayin; "Sure! Mr. Bigshot with the cell phone huh?!! What?!! You think your better than us?!!!"

... or something like that ...

MrHolland
06-12-12, 12:37 AM
Ok, I'm just kidding!

But the Star TAC war really my alltime fav ....

Mine wont work cause of the network upgrades, but I do have one.

Kev
06-12-12, 12:42 AM
Slowly but surely, they're sucking us in. The black hole is not out there somewhere in space, it's right here! And it's name is "Technology"!!!

:run: :run: :run:

Kev
06-12-12, 12:45 AM
Mine wont work cause of the network upgrades, but I do have one.My wife dropped mine in the toilet. I'm sure it was an accident ......

:suspense:

Playdrv4me
06-12-12, 02:29 AM
Chad, this would be a bad time to get a 4S because the 5 will be out in a month or 3, and even if you don't care about the 5, it would feel crappy to pay full price for the 4S now and know it'll be 99 bucks in a few months. Thus, while I am primarily an iPhone guy, my OVERWHELMING recommendation right now is the Samsung Galaxy SIII.

Leo Laporte has been using one for about a week now (he orders most of his phones at full price unlocked overseas when the first come out so he can review them) and says not only is it the best Android phone he's ever used, it bests the 4S and will likely give the 5 a run for its money. Absolutely stellar 4.8 inch Super AMOLED near retina display (1280x800 x 4.8), fast dual or quad processors depending on the carrier, beautiful design, and good battery life. Better yet, it will only be 199 on contract, bucking the 249-299 trend that had started to gain traction there for a while.

Despite your very business oriented needs, avoid Blackberry anything at all costs, they're basically dead at this point.

As for the AMPS Motorola cell-phones from the annals of history, my all time favorite was my ULTRA thin (for the time) MicroTac Elite I bought new in 1998...

http://pics.livejournal.com/vintage_mobile/pic/0002dtf0/s640x480

CadillacLuke24
06-12-12, 03:11 AM
I'd wait for the new Samsung stuff. Iphones are cool, but I think the technology is somewhat dated with those. AT&T isn't the best for sparsely populated areas (think NE WY, Western SD), but I think you'll be fine in the metro area. AT&T has excellent customer service though. My Dad was able to get them to waive 3 $200 dollar and 1 $400 excess charge due to my sister's flying thumbs. Good luck.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-12-12, 08:53 AM
Oh yeah, it's going to be another Droid or another iPhone, no windows phones or no Blackberries. When I used to travel for work and had AT&T, I had terrible service in some of the most remote parts of Southeast Minnesota, but otherwise I had great service in the metropolitan areas and now with my current job, I almost never leave the Twin Cities anymore.

ryannel2003
06-12-12, 09:02 AM
While it is a bad time to get an iPhone, there hasn't been one Droid that has really been so great that it would send be packing and running back to the platform. All of the Droid's I have used are always great at first, but after 6 months or so they start to become laggy, slow, and downright buggy... kinda like Windows. On the other hand my iPhone was 5 months old when I got in the wreck and it was still just as fast as the day I got it. Plus like you said, it works great with Mac OS X. I don't know of any great utility that allows that kind of syncing for Droid and Mac. The SGIII looks really great, but I want a phone I can easily put in my pocket. The phone is just too big, but that might not be a problem for you. I'm perfectly fine with my 3.5" and I haven't ever thought to myself "Damn I need more screen space".

thebigjimsho
06-12-12, 09:30 AM
Nationwide, Sprint would spank AT&T. But if AT&T works well for you in your area, that's fine.

I've had my EVO for almost 2 years and am still very happy with it except that I've maxed my phones memory. I may replace it with the Evo 4g LTE that was just released.

But, the Samsung phones have awesome displays and is candy for the eyes. Unless the iPhones get bigger, I will never buy one...

hueterm
06-12-12, 09:59 AM
You should look at it James -- it's a great phone. I was torn between waiting for the GSIII and going w/EVO. First, I wanted the kickstand, which is VERY strong, BTW. Second, I wanted a square phone, where the SGIII is a little more rounded in the corners like my Nexus S was. (I stand it up on the shelf of the elliptical trainer, and this is much more stable.) Also, I don't like blue or white phones -- where the EVO is black/red/stainless and looks awesome.

Spec wise, the SGIII has a tad more processor speed and a fractionally larger screen. It also has the feature where it detects if you're looking at the screen and doesn't shut off (which I will be surprised if it works as well as they say). It also is supposed to have improved voice recognition features. For me, since the battery life was supposed to be similar (meaning not like Droid Maxx's 10+ hours), none of the other features were that important to me.

My previous two Droids were both Samsungs, and neither were outstanding quality. My first one was crap, and the Nexus was a good phone, but started to wig out after a year. However, I'm sure this SGIII will be top notch.

Submariner409
06-12-12, 10:29 AM
My 10 year old Nokia is a dinosaur - it makes and receives phone calls. Period. Between Karen's somewhat newer model and me, we use about 20 minutes a month, total. Makes life a lot less complicated..............

Even the OnStar phone feature in the STS has over 550 minutes right now, and I'll have to add another 200 in September to keep from losing the 550.............

The Raven
06-12-12, 10:47 AM
I manage a fleet of 32 Verizon Android Smartphones for my company, but I still chose Sprint for mine and my wife's personal phones. That should tell you alot.

I must preface this by saying that there is NO good wireless carrier in the US. Ever since Verizon doomed this country by locking us into CDMA, its been a steady downhill slide. Sprint had a chance to save us by giving Verizon the middle finger and leveraging Nextel's technology to build a better network, but they didn't have the guts to do it. So here we are, eternally saddled with inferior wireless technology. Thus, as you have no doubt noticed, all the best phones go to Europe and Japan, and we are stuck with the baby's toy everyone calls "iPhone".

All that said, Sprint is my recommendation as best (read: least bad) overall carrier simply because of their plan pricing. I could go on and on about all the carriers relative network coverage and reliability but i'll save you that spiel and tell you that all the Verizon hype is nothing but. All the networks suck, so find the phone and price you like and go for it. Apples to apples, Sprint is going to have the best price every time. AND, if you are going to be using your phone for internet/email, Sprint is the only carrier that still offers unlimited data (and they CLAIM they always will).

Phone-wise, Samsung's Galaxy is now the industry standard. Apple handed over the torch when they released the 4S. Not that there's anything wrong with the 4S, but they were leapfrogged by Samsung at that point, as the S2 that had just released weeks before was already a better phone. The S3 looks to be one hell of an incredible phone, as it specs out to be a notch above the already fantastic HTC One X/Evo LTE. As many have already said, chances are slim that Apple will be able to top the S3 since the Iphone 5 is already finalized and going into production next month.

Right now, Android is the only (reasonable) way to go with a new phone. I suspect that eventually, Windows phone will surpass Android to become (and remain) the standard, however right now is Android's time. Blackberry is done, and iOS peaked with the release of the iPhone 4. Apple has been very slowly losing marketshare to Android ever since. In the Wireless world, it's all about numbers...since phones are so dependent on their supporting ecosystem, the most popular platform is going to offer the best experience by default, as it will offer the most options for personalization. This is what made the iPhone so huge...as it had a two-year head start on anything else.

So in short, Sprint is your best bet for carrier, and the HTC One X/Evo LTE is the best phone you can buy right now, until the Samsung Galaxy S3 comes out in two weeks.

hueterm
06-12-12, 10:51 AM
Unless the iCult sues Samsung and get an injunction that delays SGIII for an extra couple of weeks, like they did the EVO...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-12-12, 10:55 AM
What does the iPhone 5 have that will be apparently so ground breaking?

How great is 4G versus 3G? Does it even matter if 4G isn't currently offered in the Twin Cities?

Like Ryan said, my Droid X's 4.3" screen is great, but it's rather bulky in my pocket....the iPhone was much more comfortable, and since I don't watch movies on my phone (because it drains the battery), screen size isn't terribly important to me.

Again, like Ryan said, the Droids over time get buggy and can be slow to respond and I never felt that with my iPhone. I don't like how I have to go into "Advanced Task Killer" on my Droid to shut down programs and save the battery life.....the Mac's just do that by themselves...

So right now, in my mind, it's extremely close between the iPhone 4S and the Samsung Galaxy III. I'll just need to go to Sprint & AT&T's stores and play around with them and talk pricing.

The Raven
06-12-12, 11:26 AM
What does the iPhone 5 have that will be apparently so ground breaking?

An Apple logo.

That's all I can come up with.

How great is 4G versus 3G? Does it even matter if 4G isn't currently offered in the Twin Cities?

4G (both WiMax and LTE) is excellent actually. It is ALOT faster than 3G. That is when you can actually use it. I've had more luck with WiMax in terms of coverage, but both are VERY sparse at this point, and Verizon seems to be doing very little to improve that. Sprint CLAIMS that they will have matched Verizon's LTE coverage by the end of this year (they are ditching WiMax for LTE), but I will believe that when I see it. You definitely want to be buying a 4G phone...at this point it's ridiculous to buy anything that's not 4G capable, however don't expect to actually use it (the 4G) too much...at least until the end of this year.

Like Ryan said, my Droid X's 4.3" screen is great, but it's rather bulky in my pocket....the iPhone was much more comfortable, and since I don't watch movies on my phone (because it drains the battery), screen size isn't terribly important to me.

There are Android phones with smaller screens. Samsung's Galaxy Nexus series and HTC's One S/Evo Design are excellent examples.

Again, like Ryan said, the Droids over time get buggy and can be slow to respond and I never felt that with my iPhone. I don't like how I have to go into "Advanced Task Killer" on my Droid to shut down programs and save the battery life.....the Mac's just do that by themselves...

I've never experienced this. My Evo 4G is actually faster now than it was when I got it thanks to Google's consistent Android updates. To me, iOS feels slow right off the bat. Apple fans call it "smooth", but everyone else calls it "lag".

OffThaHorseCEO
06-12-12, 11:28 AM
By the way, the reason I switched from an iPhone to a Droid is because the battery on my 3G was horrible. After 18 months of ownership, the iPhone could barely go 4 hours on a full charge and unlike the Droids, the battery was very hard to access and replace. I'm told that my 3G's battery issue was rare for an iPhone, most are better than that.

Thats always the defense given for iphone issues. its only your phone or youre doing something wrong.

I must preface this by saying that there is NO good wireless carrier in the US. Ever since Verizon doomed this country by locking us into CDMA, its been a steady downhill slide. Sprint had a chance to save us by giving Verizon the middle finger and leveraging Nextel's technology to build a better network, but they didn't have the guts to do it.

Blackberry is done....

1) AT&T and T-Mobile are HSPA+ which is based on GSM (and multiple small fish regional carriers)...so Verizon didnt lock the country into CDMA
2) Nextels network technology SUCKED, thats why they didnt pursue it. They had plenty of balls. Why do you think they bought it up. It sucked so bad it broke them though
3) Tell me why you think blackberry is dead? because it doesnt have a trillion apps? I love how my blackberries always do more for me than what iphone users and android users claim they do on theirs. most of the features exclusive to IOS and android are gimmicks. Siri for example. It doesnt even work half the time, most people are clogging up the system by showin it off to friends which is about all they actually do with it.

Speaking of which, Siri was asked what the best smartphone ever was, and it replied Nokia Lumia 900, a windows phone. Probably the only device currently in existence I'd ever completely drop BlackBerry for. (I just rid myself of a samsung galaxy s 2 skyrocket, an HTC One X, Multiple Galaxy S II's, but I will not sell my Bold 9900).

The thing with specs races is that nobody ever wins. So your best bet is to find a phone you like, with features that suit you and a feel that doesnt annoy you and go with it.

Chad, if you end up going with at&t (doesnt matter what phone), PM me your number and I'll add a nice discount in for you, as well as waive activation fees and pro-rated charges (standard on first bill) if the store doesnt offer to do that for you.

The Raven
06-12-12, 11:38 AM
1) AT&T and T-Mobile are HSPA+ which is based on GSM (and multiple small fish regional carriers)...so Verizon didnt lock the country into CDMA

HSPA+ is the DATA network. It still runs on the CDMA stack.

2) Nextels network technology SUCKED, thats why they didnt pursue it. They had plenty of balls. Why do you think they bought it up. It sucked so bad it broke them though

Do you even know what Nextel's network technology was?

3) Tell me why you think blackberry is dead? because it doesnt have a trillion apps? I love how my blackberries always do more for me than what iphone users and android users claim they do on theirs. most of the features exclusive to IOS and android are gimmicks. Siri for example. It doesnt even work half the time, most people are clogging up the system by showin it off to friends which is about all they actually do with it.

Blackberry is dead because RIM has failed to evolve it to compete sufficiently in the modern wireless market. Apps is one small factor, OS one BIG factor, and hardware is another BIG factor. Those are the three primary attributes of a wireless offering, and Blackberry is getting it's ass kicked in all three.

My company was ALL Blackberry until last year, when we could no longer justify using the MORE EXPENSIVE phones...Android did everything we needed, and it did it cheaper and in simpler fashion with nicer hardware to boot.

OffThaHorseCEO
06-12-12, 11:55 AM

Blackberry is dead because RIM has failed to evolve it to compete sufficiently in the modern wireless market. Apps is one small factor, OS one BIG factor, and hardware is another BIG factor. Those are the three primary attributes of a wireless offering, and Blackberry is getting it's ass kicked in all three.

My company was ALL Blackberry until last year, when we could no longer justify using the MORE EXPENSIVE phones...Android did everything we needed, and it did it cheaper and in simpler fashion with nicer hardware to boot.

1) No its purely GSM based. If anything, you could say that the data is partially related to CDMA but its really definitely not CDMA.
2) Nextel was iDEN based. Great for long range calling, but horrible quality. Horrible if any MMS support, texting was ridiculously poorly supported, and calls hardly ever went through, despite the range capacity.
3) Blackberry has admittedly fallen behind, but its not due to lack of evolution, its due to lack of marketing or building a rabid fanbase. I still wouldnt call them dead.

http://www.smtexas.net/faculty/jackson/CAPPS61011/CAPPS6T1B/Basu/Webpage/Images/generations%20photos.JPG

^^^Look at that amazing hardware evolution

as for software evolution, Apple is still catching up. they finally gave up and copied androids notifications system, all the apple fans went nuts and called them geniuses. A couple of OS versions ago they finally introduced folders for icons, which Blackberry has had since at least 07. They were called revolutionaries for that. Today, they announced that facetime will work over 4g networks...1.5 years after its been possible on other platforms. They also announced "lost mode" which, like blackberry protect, allows you to put a message on the lock screen of your lost phone.

Aztec ETC ECS
06-12-12, 12:05 PM
I have a Galaxy S2, besides the questionable battery life, I love it!!
Galaxy S2- best thing ever. I had a battery issue that turned out to be a bad charger.

iPhones do too much butt or d**k dialing. I get calls from someone I know, while standing in front of me, phone in pocket, all the time.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-12-12, 12:07 PM
as for software evolution, Apple is still catching up. they finally gave up and copied androids notifications system, all the apple fans went nuts and called them geniuses.

What did they change? That's one thing I admit I like more about the Droid....when I miss a call, text, email or facebook notification, there's a tiny blinking light on the top of the phone that lets me know that. With the iPhone, I had to turn the screen on and see if there was a notification box on my home page.

OffThaHorseCEO
06-12-12, 12:11 PM
it used to be that if a message came in, you got a box in the middle of the screen to let you know about that.

so for example, if you were on some pr0n, all of a sudden youd get a message from "Mom" that said "Hi Honey" right in the middle of your screen lol.

Now its like android where you get a tiny icon on the top banner and you can slide the banner down to check the message.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-12-12, 12:13 PM
Oh, ok, that's a lot better, but still no blinking light in the top corner of the phone?

OffThaHorseCEO
06-12-12, 12:14 PM
not on the iphone. Its not a standard android feature either. i think motorola does it, but neither the samsung galaxy s 2 or the skyrocket that i used had it. they had an LED so im sure it can be added in after root but the led is a low battery indicator.

Aztec ETC ECS
06-12-12, 12:16 PM
Motorola 550 Flip. Solid as a rock! (heavy as one too ... )

But seriously,

http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2006/08/old-cell-phones-get-cingular-fee.jpg

hueterm
06-12-12, 12:16 PM
The new EVO has the blinking light.

hueterm
06-12-12, 12:17 PM
My dad had one of those original Motos...back in 1983. It was like $3000, had maybe 20 minutes of battery life, and calls were $1/minute...

ThumperPup
06-12-12, 12:19 PM
i say find an old sony z phone that was one of my first phones ever and by damm the best one i think lol

my last 3 phones where iphone 3g iphone 4 and moto atrix

i have the iphone 4 now i still use it
but also have the motorola atrix witch is a preaty damm good phone

if i had to pick the 2 for 1 to keep and one to trash id say im keeping the MOtorola Atrix
there is just nothing special about the iphone anymore
now that

spring
att and virizon have them

The Raven
06-12-12, 12:28 PM
1) No its purely GSM based. If anything, you could say that the data is partially related to CDMA but its really definitely not CDMA.

When you have some free time, look up W-CDMA. That's the stack that AT&T's UMTS/HSPA+ runs on. It most certainly, 100% IS CDMA. There is almost no GSM tech whatsoever left in AT&T's operational network.

2) Nextel was iDEN based. Great for long range calling, but horrible quality. Horrible if any MMS support, texting was ridiculously poorly supported, and calls hardly ever went through, despite the range capacity.

...AND also capable of operating on both CDMA and GSM stacks, and supporting channel splitting within either's parameters. In english, iDEN could have been used to float the network that Sprint already had at the time. This would have the effect of increasing per-tower range by about 30%. It would have also had the side effect of preserving Nextel's excellent "push-to-talk" feature on Sprint's phones. Had Sprint properly executed this, it would have been huge. Instead they wimped out and let Nextel die.

as for software evolution, Apple is still catching up. they finally gave up and copied androids notifications system, all the apple fans went nuts and called them geniuses. A couple of OS versions ago they finally introduced folders for icons, which Blackberry has had since at least 07. They were called revolutionaries for that. Today, they announced that facetime will work over 4g networks...1.5 years after its been possible on other platforms. They also announced "lost mode" which, like blackberry protect, allows you to put a message on the lock screen of your lost phone.

I'm with you on Apple. Why anyone would continue to buy into their overpriced showpieces is beyond me. Unless you are using nothing but Apple hardware and need the iPhone for compatibility with your existing stuff, it just doesn't make sense to buy into a more expensive, more limited, glass phone.

not on the iphone. Its not a standard android feature either. i think motorola does it, but neither the samsung galaxy s 2 or the skyrocket that i used had it. they had an LED so im sure it can be added in after root but the led is a low battery indicator.

My wife's S2 (Epic) has the physical blinking light. It even changes color based on the type of notification. My Evo 4G also does this (and it's more than two years old).

OffThaHorseCEO
06-12-12, 12:43 PM
When you have some free time, look up W-CDMA. That's the stack that AT&T's UMTS/HSPA+ runs on. It most certainly, 100% IS CDMA. There is almost no GSM tech whatsoever left in AT&T's operational network.
I know what my network is. I think you're reaching a little too far here. So they use similiar techniques, the names of the technologies are similiar. Your original statement was that verizon had forced us all onto CDMA networks. NOT TRUE. Our networks are not CDMA. Our phones will not work on verizons/sprint/uscc network or vice versa, we can not roam on verizon/sprint/uscc network or vice versa. There are such things as DUAL MODE phones that are CDMA phones but also have a gsm module and a sim card slot. Those WILL work on either network, simply because they are two phones in one. At the end of the day, our network technology is NOT CDMA in the sense that Verizons is.

...AND also capable of operating on both CDMA and GSM stacks, and supporting channel splitting within either's parameters. In english, iDEN could have been used to float the network that Sprint already had at the time. This would have the effect of increasing per-tower range by about 30%. It would have also had the side effect of preserving Nextel's excellent "push-to-talk" feature on Sprint's phones. Had Sprint properly executed this, it would have been huge. Instead they wimped out and let Nextel die. they used it on multiple Boost phones and even introduced a few "regular" phones with that technology. They SUCKED. It had nothing to do with wimping out. it had more to do with the fact that they made poor decisions, and invested in crappy networks (iDEN, WIMAX), then thought they could dig themselves out of a hole by giving away everything cheaper than the competition.

I'm with you on Apple. Why anyone would continue to buy into their overpriced showpieces is beyond me. Unless you are using nothing but Apple hardware and need the iPhone for compatibility with your existing stuff, it just doesn't make sense to buy into a more expensive, more limited, glass phone.

My wife's S2 (Epic) has the physical blinking light. It even changes color based on the type of notification. My Evo 4G also does this (and it's more than two years old).

Thats weird. ive only ever seen it on our motorolas. (atrix, atrix 2, backflip, flipside, flipout) Makes sense that they would start adding it though. Thats one of the things i love most about my BB. Ever heard of the phantom LED syndrome?

The Raven
06-12-12, 12:57 PM
I know what my network is. I think you're reaching a little too far here. So they use similiar techniques, the names of the technologies are similiar. Your original statement was that verizon had forced us all onto CDMA networks. NOT TRUE. Our networks are not CDMA. Our phones will not work on verizons/sprint/uscc network or vice versa, we can not roam on verizon/sprint/uscc network or vice versa. There are such things as DUAL MODE phones that are CDMA phones but also have a gsm module and a sim card slot. Those WILL work on either network, simply because they are two phones in one. At the end of the day, our network technology is NOT CDMA in the sense that Verizons is.

I'm not arguing whether or not all US networks are "Verizon CDMA". I'm arguing that they are all on CDMA stacks. Each carrier has it's variations and each variation has it's tweaks. The point is that Verizon pushed everyone away from standardizing the GSM stack because it would have alienated Verizon. Sprint, AT&T, and more than likely most smaller carriers would still be leveraging GSM and Verizon would be left behind because of CDMA's limitations. Instead of advancing their network, Verizon chose to use it's political influence to hold everyone else back.

Now that LTE is becoming the new de-facto standard, a new conflict is looming. Verizon uses FD-LTE as it's current standard, because it was most cost-effective to integrate into existing hardware. Sprint will be leveraging their partner Clearwire's TD-LTE for their rollout. TD-LTE is widely viewed as the better choice for LTE since it can theoretically support more users per channel. It works out best for Sprint because their existing WiMax hardware is a firmware upgrade away from TD-LTE. Thus, Sprint believes it can achieve a very efficient rollout and match Verizon by the end of this year. Furthermore, Clearwire is currently developing LTE2, which is based on TD-LTE (FD-LTE does not support LTE2 as it exists right now), and claims that LTE2 will be operational in Q2 2013. This leaves most in the industry to believe that Sprint may very well unveil "5G" next summer. This is another issue for Verizon since it would once again box them out of the next step in wireless technology. Watch for Verizon to try to pull another "CDMA standardization" stunt to keep this from happening.

they used it on multiple Boost phones and even introduced a few "regular" phones with that technology. They SUCKED. It had nothing to do with wimping out. it had more to do with the fact that they made poor decisions, and invested in crappy networks (iDEN, WIMAX), then thought they could dig themselves out of a hole by giving away everything cheaper than the competition.

There were several Sprint phones that supported "push-to-talk". But this is not the type of complete integration I was referring to.

gary88
06-12-12, 01:01 PM
Since the iphone first came out in 2007 that's all I've had, I don't ever see myself buying anything else. I'm not concerned about things like having custom text tones or doing massive customization. Give me a great email client and web browser and I'm happy. With heavy use my battery is still around 40% at the end of the day too.

thebigjimsho
06-12-12, 01:33 PM

Agreed. As someone who constantly drives corporate clients, many still have Blackberrys, but mostly older ones. I've seen many companies switch to iPhones or Android phones.

Blackberry WAS slow to evolve and it killed them. They need a home run swing just to regain a slipping foothold.

I used NEXTEL for years, many as my only phone. The death knell was having NEXTEL and a Blackberry Curve for my business. It was awful and my voicemail constantly disappeared. So I'm using Sprint PTT on a Motorola Admiral. The PTT is excellent and the Android platform works as well for emails as my Blackberrys did.

thebigjimsho
06-12-12, 01:34 PM
The new EVO has the blinking light.

The old one does, too...

RippyPartsDept
06-12-12, 01:41 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_mobile_phone_standards#Comparison_ta ble

thebigjimsho
06-12-12, 01:43 PM
As for the iPhone, they have great marketing and appeal to the ignorant masses. I bought my mother an iPod a few years back because she loves music, it was efficient and easy to operate. I also have one myself.

That phenomenon carried to the iPhone and iPad. But, while the iPod was the standard for portable music and video storage, it is only such in phones to people who don't know better. No one has ever shown me what their iPhones can do that is better than my Evo. Granted, the Evo was the king when it was released and there were plenty of Android phones that couldn't match it, but there are many now that can.

The iPhone has added a better camera and Siri. Hooray?

OffThaHorseCEO
06-12-12, 01:52 PM
Funny thing. i just got a nokia lumia (black) in today...using it now...

Lovin it so far and its only been 10 minutes. i'll give it a couple of days and if it doesnt aggravate the crap out of me like androids and iphones i may have a partner for the BB

RippyPartsDept
06-12-12, 01:53 PM
the iPhone offers a homogeneous ecosystem where everything is easy because it's all the same

android is fragmented and different from phone to phone ... great for the power user, but what percentage are the power users

android has made great strides against the iPhones in recent product cycles and even is selling more thanks to phones like the evo(s) and galaxy(s)

it's mac vs pc all over again ... i feel like it's 1990 again

OffThaHorseCEO
06-12-12, 01:57 PM
the iPhone offers a homogeneous ecosystem where everything is easy because it's all the same

android is fragmented and different from phone to phone ... great for the power user, but what percentage are the power users

android has made great strides against the iPhones in recent product cycles and even is selling more thanks to phones like the evo(s) and galaxy(s)

i developed a very simple game/app for my blackberry playbook, and i had wanted to port to android. i gave up because all the different screen resolutions available were daunting.

Also, i was using a pantech crossover to test with because i wanted it to run well on the slower devices, which would guarantee that it ran well on the flagship devices

thebigjimsho
06-12-12, 01:59 PM

Funny thing is, people who aren't computer literate or interested in tech have become just that. Even my mom wants a nice, new Android phone...

thebigjimsho
06-12-12, 02:01 PM
Oh, and Chad, the best app killer is your phone. Most app killers are resource hogs on their own. I downloaded, and then got rid, of mine within 2 weeks...

RippyPartsDept
06-12-12, 02:06 PM
yeah android has a new better phone every month or two while apple does a new iPhone once a year (and sometimes there's not very much to make you want to upgrade each year)

RippyPartsDept
06-12-12, 02:07 PM
full disclosure: i've had an iPhone 3G for 2.5yrs and i'm 18months into my 3GS

and considering I can take pictures that look like this:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-AV_iS1_TRLY/T841h9dJXLI/AAAAAAAAApA/gR53Ym0aW1E/s1058/image_2%281%29.jpeg
... with a phone that's about to be 3 (or is it 4?) generations behind, well i'm hardly in a rush to upgrade ...

The Raven
06-12-12, 02:31 PM

Another way of saying that Apple has complete control over what you can and cannot do.

Android is the same from phone to phone. It's the UI that can change, but those are minor tweaks. I don't know why people make such a big deal out of the different UI's that OEMs create. I am used to HTC's "Sense" because that's what I use as my personal phone. But working with my Motorola Droid Bionic (company phone) is no less intuitive simply because it has a different UI. When my wife got her S2, she had no problem transitioning to Samsung's "TouchWiz" UI, and I don't find it any better or worse than any of the other options out there. It's just each company's take on how to make a pretty looking system. The only MINOR complaint that I have about Motorola and Samsung is that their phones don't include the cursor keys or the ".com" button that HTC offers on it's phone's keyboards. Those are both great timesaving features that I can't believe Samsung and Motorola missed out on.

Android overtook the iPhone at the end of 2010. As of October 2011, Samsung had overtaken Apple as the number 1 selling smartphone brand. Samsung's Galaxy S3 in pre-order has outsold every iPhone pre-order so far combined (and that's HUGE because you certainly remember all the press that the iPhone pre-order numbers got). The iPhone's time is past. This is Android's time.

That's Apple's way. It will always be Apple vs. somebody. They create these battles on purpose. Apple is a niche product company that is trying to sustain growth. They need to be innovative, and instead of building innovative products, they created innovative marketing. This has proven to be a far better approach than anyone could have possibly imagined. Apple's marketing ability is incredible.

thebigjimsho
06-12-12, 02:43 PM
Indeed. I will always admit Apple marketing is the best in the biz...

RippyPartsDept
06-12-12, 02:46 PM
So it doesn't have anything to do with a revolutionary product and everything to do with incredible marketing?

i'm not saying that they don't have good marketing ability but the iphone was the most innovative product of last decade (ipod was probably second)

everyone with half a brain knew that smart phones (pocket computers) were going to be the next technological wave but nobody could figure out a way that worked

apple did

when did pocketPC first come out? 2000? 7 years before the iPhone and now 12 years later they've finally got a usable mobile OS

android is great - a balance of quasi-openness against apple's walled-garden approach

gary88
06-12-12, 02:52 PM
Some people fail to realize many people enjoy the overall user experience of Apple products rather than being able to open an app .5 seconds faster or being able to have a custom text message tone. I really couldn't care less about customizing every aspect of my phone. If you're into that, cool, but it doesn't mean everyone has to be or can't enjoy a phone otherwise.

For me, the fantastic customer service Apple provides is enough of a reason for me to stick with them. Last year my lock/unlock button got stuck, so I booked an appointment at a nearby Apple store the next day. I walked in and handed my phone to someone there to look at, and five minutes later I left with a brand new phone in my pocket.

The Raven
06-12-12, 03:01 PM
So it doesn't have anything to do with a revolutionary product and everything to do with incredible marketing?

You got it.

The definition of innovation dictates that you actually create something. Apple didn't actually create anything. They simply took existing things and packaged them in a fantastic way that sold like mad. The iPhone was not the first smartphone (yes it was the first Smartphone as we know the term, because Apple is the company that created the term, again, great marketing...but it was not the first smartphone functionally), Google actually released an Android smartphone prior to the iPhone (of course it was nothing like the Android phones we know and love today), and even more importantly, both Palm and Blackberry had devices well before the iPhone was even penned. Same thing with the whole "app store" concept, Palm pioneered that. Apple simply saw the potential and packaged these things in the most spectacular way they could, then used their ingenious marketing techniques to create a phenomenon.

You could say the iPhone is the most REVOLUTIONARY product of the last decade, because of how it changed everyone's perceptions of what a "cell phone" should be. However, INNOVATIVE is not accurate, since Apple didn't actually create any completely new product.

OffThaHorseCEO
06-12-12, 03:04 PM
Android is the same from phone to phone. It's the UI that can change, but those are minor tweaks. I don't know why people make such a big deal out of the different UI's that OEMs create. I am used to HTC's "Sense" because that's what I use as my personal phone. But working with my Motorola Droid Bionic (company phone) is no less intuitive simply because it has a different UI. When my wife got her S2, she had no problem transitioning to Samsung's "TouchWiz" UI, and I don't find it any better or worse than any of the other options out there. It's just each company's take on how to make a pretty looking system. The only MINOR complaint that I have about Motorola and Samsung is that their phones don't include the cursor keys or the ".com" button that HTC offers on it's phone's keyboards. Those are both great timesaving features that I can't believe Samsung and Motorola missed out on.

Android overtook the iPhone at the end of 2010. As of October 2011, Samsung had overtaken Apple as the number 1 selling smartphone brand. Samsung's Galaxy S3 in pre-order has outsold every iPhone pre-order so far combined (and that's HUGE because you certainly remember all the press that the iPhone pre-order numbers got). The iPhone's time is past. This is Android's time.

That's Apple's way. It will always be Apple vs. somebody. They create these battles on purpose. Apple is a niche product company that is trying to sustain growth. They need to be innovative, and instead of building innovative products, they created innovative marketing. This has proven to be a far better approach than anyone could have possibly imagined. Apple's marketing ability is incredible.

to a consumer, androids fragmentation means nothing, and it shouldnt. To a developer or potential developer, its crazy. How many screen sizes and resolutions are available. how many processor types and speeds, how many different memory configurations. how many button configurations? you either have to design very generic apps or apps that are very specialized.

i'm not saying that they don't have good marketing ability but the iphone was the most innovative product of last decade (ipod was probably second)

everyone with half a brain knew that smart phones (pocket computers) were going to be the next technological wave but nobody could figure out a way that worked

apple did

when did pocketPC first come out? 2000? 7 years before the iPhone and now 12 years later they've finally got a usable mobile OS

android is great - a balance of quasi-openness against apple's walled-garden approach

Its pure marketing. the products are good enough but nothing groundbreaking. marketing is where apples success came from

most of the iphone customers in our store are either
a) people who come in saying "well, its time to upgrade and my son says i need an iphone" you ask them a few questions and realize they dont know why they need an iphone, they just do. in most cases these people end up pointing at a blackberry for example and asking,"is this one of your iphones?"
b) people who want aniphone because they think its the cool thing to have. ask them why just out of curiosity and they reply either "status" or "it does everything" (without being able to elaborate) or "its an iphone!" or the worst one, "well, it has an ipod built in"

thats the MAJORITY of iphone customers. Sure there are many who know what theyre buying and why. but for the most part iphone customers are following a trend

thebigjimsho
06-12-12, 03:17 PM
Hipsters.

Playdrv4me
06-12-12, 03:26 PM
I love how Apple owners are are always called out as the fanbois of the industry, yet any time a person seeking advice actually says they *enjoyed* using their iPhone, the android lovers scramble to hop over their keyboards and tell them how confused they were. "HA! HA! HA! SILLY IPHONE USER. I BUILD WIRELESS NETWORKS WITH CDMA COMBOBULATORS IN MY BASEMENT AND EAT KITTENS FOR BREAKFAST.. I AM OBVIOUSLY QUALIFIED TO TELL YOU THAT YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE MISSING!"

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120404161726/walkingdead/images/thumb/9/9b/Watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png/620px-Watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

Yeah. Been there, done that... Doing it now as a matter of fact (because I got tired of contracts and the deplorable state of the U.S. wireless industry) with an old LG Optimus V. This little phone works fantastically well, but I would be lying if I said that it had the polish or smoothness of my iPhones. That goes for the newest latest ICS phones as well (I actually prefer the UI of the older Android versions anyway). I swear I must be the only person on this earth capable of being fair enough to give both platforms their just due (as I did recommend the Android phone, despite preferring the iOS experience overall).

Btw, there is a difference between evolving just for the sake of calling something shiny and new, and evolving for genuine benefit and gain. If anything, the iPhone's lack of shiny new buttons and gigantic screens over the years is an indication of how well executed it was from the beginning. It's actually nice to buy a phone ONCE every year or two and not have to worry about every gadget that shows up at 3 month intervals. Sure, there were features missing at the beginning, but the experience was always intuitive, consistent, enjoyable and easy to utilize. I'd rather scream at Apple once every software upgrade for a missing feature and have them eventually implement it, than scream at my phone every day because so many things were crammed in and executed so poorly. If anything, Google is actually slowly cracking this formula and improving Android in genuinely tangible ways (new maps) with every successive generation.

Blackberry on the other hand is an example of a little improved product that was only "good enough" for enterprise at the beginning, and then didn't keep up with the rest of the market. Then Enterprise started looking at the newest capabilities of the latest phones and decided they wanted some of those things too. Can we just call a spade a spade and admit that company is teetering on the edge of extinction. Pretty sure Best Buy is paying you to take those tablets off their hands by now.

RippyPartsDept
06-12-12, 04:33 PM
You got it.

The definition of innovation dictates that you actually create something.

in·no·vate/ˈinəˌvāt/

Verb:

Make changes in something established, esp. by introducing new methods, ideas, or products.
Introduce something new, esp. a product.

actually, that is the definition of innovate ... i think you're reverse fanboi chip needs re-calibration

Playdrv4me
06-12-12, 04:36 PM
^ Loool

RippyPartsDept
06-12-12, 04:41 PM
The iPhone was not the first smartphone (yes it was the first Smartphone as we know the term, because Apple is the company that created the term, again, great marketing...but it was not the first smartphone functionally), Google actually released and Android smartphone 6 months prior (of course it was nothing like the Android phones we know and love today), and even more importantly, both Palm and Blackberry had devices well before the iPhone was penned.

another correction:

http://cloud.addictivetips.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/android-phone-timeline.jpg
(http://cloud.addictivetips.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/android-phone-timeline.jpg)
first android phone was released in Oct 2008 ... over a year after the first iphone

as I mentioned earlier in post #52

apple did

competition breeds innovation and is great for any market and finally there's a third option (win phone 7) ... and it's great that the android segment has competition within itself

gary88
06-12-12, 04:47 PM
http://i.minus.com/iAaCAWmFr4yfi.gif

thebigjimsho
06-12-12, 05:17 PM
I don't see any rebuttal of factual statements made comparing iPhones and Android phones.

So if you can't handle a factual conversation of what these phones can and can't do along with a factual statement of why each are popular or not, and why, then yeah, you're an iPhone fanboi.

It's like a Caddy enthusiast forum discussing the Prius. The Prius owner loves their cars because of what they can do and what they stand for. While we admit they are very economical and are chic, we also point out they are soulless appliances. And whatever they do well does not make up for the fact we want to enjoy our drive and the luxury/speed that goes along with it.

It's a matter of opinion. iPhones, like the Prius do what they need to well. But you'll have to deal with the fact not all of us like them and we like the ballsy operation and flash and screen of a premium Android phone...

RippyPartsDept
06-12-12, 05:38 PM
I'm just trying to rebut the fictional statements

Playdrv4me
06-12-12, 05:57 PM
It's a matter of opinion. iPhones, ... do what they need to well.

Now we're getting somewhere.

The Raven
06-12-12, 06:09 PM
I love how Apple owners are are always called out as the fanbois of the industry, yet any time a person seeking advice actually says they *enjoyed* using their iPhone, the android lovers scramble to hop over their keyboards and tell them how confused they were. "HA! HA! HA! SILLY IPHONE USER. I BUILD WIRELESS NETWORKS WITH CDMA COMBOBULATORS IN MY BASEMENT AND EAT KITTENS FOR BREAKFAST.. I AM OBVIOUSLY QUALIFIED TO TELL YOU THAT YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE MISSING!"

Gotta agree here...there are the iSheep, then there are Droid fanbois too...commonly called "Droid***s". Both are equally despised.

Yeah. Been there, done that... Doing it now as a matter of fact (because I got tired of contracts and the deplorable state of the U.S. wireless industry) with an old LG Optimus V. This little phone works fantastically well, but I would be lying if I said that it had the polish or smoothness of my iPhones. That goes for the newest latest ICS phones as well (I actually prefer the UI of the older Android versions anyway). I swear I must be the only person on this earth capable of being fair enough to give both platforms their just due (as I did recommend the Android phone, despite preferring the iOS experience overall).

Gotta disagree here...I have the luxury of experience with phones across the spectrum (I currently maintain Droid Bionics, Razr Maxxs, X2s, iPhone 4 and 4S's on my company's Verizon account, and HTC Evo's and one Galaxy S2 on my personal Sprint account), so I can honestly offer a pretty comprehensive review. I don't see any more "smoothness" to iOS than what exists in Android ICS. In fact, the iPhone 4 is starting to feel bogged down with the newest updates to iOS (4S doesn't seem phased so far). What I take issue with is what I call "lag" (though it's most likely due to my being accustomed to the more powerful android phones) in the iPhones. I don't think it's because iPhone is underpowered, I think it's because of all the resource-hogging animations Apple has written into iOS to create this illusion that iSheep call "smooth", "fluid", "polished"...etc. I don't want pretty animations, I want a phone that get's shit done fast. So where you call the iPhone "smooth", I call it "slow".

Btw, there is a difference between evolving just for the sake of calling something shiny and new, and evolving for genuine benefit and gain. If anything, the iPhone's lack of shiny new buttons and gigantic screens over the years is an indication of how well executed it was from the beginning. It's actually nice to buy a phone ONCE every year or two and not have to worry about every gadget that shows up at 3 month intervals. Sure, there were features missing at the beginning, but the experience was always intuitive, consistent, enjoyable and easy to utilize. I'd rather scream at Apple once every software upgrade for a missing feature and have them eventually implement it, than scream at my phone every day because so many things were crammed in and executed so poorly.

Now here's a great chance for us to agree on something. The iPhone has it's place. It's a smartphone for dumb people, and by that I mean you don't really have to "learn" it. It just works. That said, and BECAUSE OF THAT "positive" attribute, there are far better phones out there in just about every category. That's where my problem lies. If you want to say that you like the iPhone best because it has the most of what you are looking for of any phone out there, then I can't fault you at all. However, to try to tell me that the iPhone is the BEST PHONE is just silly. Many people don't need a huge screen (they also don't need a 326ppi screen), some people want a smaller sized phone (and they probably could use one that's made of something more durable than GLASS), many people don't need the endless options that Android offers and would actually prefer to be limited for the sake of protection...however most of these people would also like to pay less for this. So as you can see it's not all that easy to find justification for the iPhone. But, if it's what you truly like, fair enough.

The Raven
06-12-12, 06:13 PM
another correction:

http://cloud.addictivetips.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/android-phone-timeline.jpg
(http://cloud.addictivetips.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/android-phone-timeline.jpg)
first android phone was released in Oct 2008 ... over a year after the first iphone

May 2007, actually:

https://plus.google.com/112352920206354603958/posts/Qj37wxH7Wi2

RippyPartsDept
06-12-12, 06:14 PM
that phone was not released for sale to the public

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/3093/prototypev.jpg

The Raven
06-12-12, 08:14 PM
that phone was not released for sale to the public

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/3093/prototypev.jpg

Did I say anything about the phone being for sale? I don't believe I did...and if I did I will say right now I was mistaken. What I originally intended to get across is that Apple did not create the smartphone...and didn't actually even come up with anything no one else had. They simply took existing technologies and repackaged them into a great marketing excercise...and the rest, as they say, is history.

ryannel2003
06-12-12, 10:41 PM
I love how every time somebody brings up an Apple product they are immediately shut down and called fools for buying overpriced iCrap. Android = Windows. Mac OS X = iPhone. I've used Mac's for nearly 7 years and loved all of them, same with the 2 iPhone's that I had. I've had Blackberry, Android, and iOS products and while everything else feels unpolished, the iOS platform is extremely user friendly and very smooth. If you don't like iOS, that's cool but you don't have to shove it down everybody's throat that Android is so much better. If you think that, fine. I think iOS is better and I personally don't mind that Apple's ecosystem is closed. I'm using a Blackberry Tour at the moment and while 2 years ago it was great, it's very outclassed today (obviously) not to mention the Blackberry interface isn't great to begin with IMO.

If you think iOS users are ignorant, I'd personally rather be that than own another Android or Blackberry. Once I get my iPhone's water damage repaired, I'm never looking back. When the iPhone 5 comes out, I'll get one. Same for iPhone 6, 7, 8, etc. When I have the cash, I'll also be picking up a nice MacBook Air since my brand new Pro got destroyed in the wreck. Windows 7 isn't bad but I still prefer OS X.

brandondeleo
06-13-12, 04:42 AM
They both have benefits. I prefer Android, and I can see reasons people would prefer one over another.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-13-12, 08:42 AM
Gotta agree here...there are the iSheep, then there are Droid fanbois too...commonly called "Droid***s". Both are equally despised.

Gotta disagree here...I have the luxury of experience with phones across the spectrum (I currently maintain Droid Bionics, Razr Maxxs, X2s, iPhone 4 and 4S's on my company's Verizon account, and HTC Evo's and one Galaxy S2 on my personal Sprint account), so I can honestly offer a pretty comprehensive review. I don't see any more "smoothness" to iOS than what exists in Android ICS. In fact, the iPhone 4 is starting to feel bogged down with the newest updates to iOS (4S doesn't seem phased so far). What I take issue with is what I call "lag" (though it's most likely due to my being accustomed to the more powerful android phones) in the iPhones. I don't think it's because iPhone is underpowered, I think it's because of all the resource-hogging animations Apple has written into iOS to create this illusion that iSheep call "smooth", "fluid", "polished"...etc. I don't want pretty animations, I want a phone that get's shit done fast. So where you call the iPhone "smooth", I call it "slow".

Now here's a great chance for us to agree on something. The iPhone has it's place. It's a smartphone for dumb people, and by that I mean you don't really have to "learn" it. It just works. That said, and BECAUSE OF THAT "positive" attribute, there are far better phones out there in just about every category. That's where my problem lies. If you want to say that you like the iPhone best because it has the most of what you are looking for of any phone out there, then I can't fault you at all. However, to try to tell me that the iPhone is the BEST PHONE is just silly. Many people don't need a huge screen (they also don't need a 326ppi screen), some people want a smaller sized phone (and they probably could use one that's made of something more durable than GLASS), many people don't need the endless options that Android offers and would actually prefer to be limited for the sake of protection...however most of these people would also like to pay less for this. So as you can see it's not all that easy to find justification for the iPhone. But, if it's what you truly like, fair enough.

You just sold me on the iPhone. Good job. What exactly was it that the droid fanboys are called?

The Raven
06-13-12, 10:09 AM
I love how every time somebody brings up an Apple product they are immediately shut down and called fools for buying overpriced iCrap. Android = Windows. Mac OS X = iPhone. I've used Mac's for nearly 7 years and loved all of them, same with the 2 iPhone's that I had. I've had Blackberry, Android, and iOS products and while everything else feels unpolished, the iOS platform is extremely user friendly and very smooth. If you don't like iOS, that's cool but you don't have to shove it down everybody's throat that Android is so much better. If you think that, fine. I think iOS is better and I personally don't mind that Apple's ecosystem is closed. I'm using a Blackberry Tour at the moment and while 2 years ago it was great, it's very outclassed today (obviously) not to mention the Blackberry interface isn't great to begin with IMO.

See that...now that's something I can't take issue with. You like iPhone over the other options, and you have your reasons. I respect that, and I applaud you for stating your opinion and not trying to present the iPhone as just a better phone.

See that's the difference between a guy who simply likes Apple products, and an "iSheep". There's absolutely nothing wrong with Apple products per se...the problem is only with people who worship them and try to tell us that Apple created the universe.

You just sold me on the iPhone. Good job. What exactly was it that the droid fanboys are called?

Glad I could help. I honestly didn't think you'd stick around and read through all my nonsense.

iPhone Fanboy = iSheep
Droid Fanboy = Droid***

(the forum auto-bleeps that for obvious reasons)

RippyPartsDept
06-13-12, 10:35 AM
Google actually released and Android smartphone 6 months prior

so because Google put out some pictures of prototype phones and Apple kept their lips tight that means Google was first?

i'm sorry but that's totally off base

releasedpast participle, past tense of re·lease (Verb)

Verb:

Allow or enable to escape from confinement; set free.
Remove restrictions or obligations from (someone or something) so that they become available for other activity.

the above definition of released does not sound like something you could say about a prototype phone that nobody can purchase

when you say a company released a product it means that they were available for sale

i'm not arguing that the iPhone was the first smartphone - as I mentioned in post #52 and restated in post #60 microsoft had at least a 7 year jump on apple and now 12 years later they finally have something that can pass muster - and in my opinion the first version (or two) of andriod were not really very good either

the point is that apples innovation in the smartphone market kicked off this new technological revolution
(yes android was going to get there eventually but apple led the way - and reaped the benefits of being first)

apple was first to market with a mobile internet enabled communication device that people actually wanted to use
and yes their marketing is really good, but even spectacular marketing can only help out a bad product so much

the ipod not only innovated on the mp3 player concept and took that market by storm but it was the hardware side of the music industry revolution that shook that industry to it's core and forced it to join the 21st century

the iphone did the same thing (kind of) to the cell phone market ... it forced the competition to step up their game and changed the market forever
and yeah, the rest is history

how many touchscreen devices were on the market in 2007?
how many of those devices were something that the average person would use many times throughout the course of a day at work and at home?
that alone - the touchscreen - was a very big step forward ... the prototype android phone you mention doesn't have a touchscreen ... it kind of looks like a cool blackberry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uW-E496FXg

an ipod, a phone, and an internet communicator
an ipod, a phone, and an internet communicator

anyway, in the video after steve makes the announcement (about 1:30-3:00 in the video) he then goes into what was then the current state of affairs in the 'smartphone' market

it might be worth another look

The Raven
06-13-12, 11:24 AM
so because Google put out some pictures of prototype phones and Apple kept their lips tight that means Google was first?

i'm sorry but that's totally off base

releasedpast participle, past tense of re·lease (Verb)

Verb:

Allow or enable to escape from confinement; set free.
Remove restrictions or obligations from (someone or something) so that they become available for other activity.

the above definition of released does not sound like something you could say about a prototype phone that nobody can purchase

when you say a company released a product it means that they were available for sale

Ever hear of the concept of "the spirit of an argument"? When you start using the dictionary to refute statements on a semantics basis, it's time to bail on the argument for the sake of everyone's sanity.

To me, released simply means "unveiled", as this phone was. When I want to say that a phone was sold, I simply say "sold". Clearly Apple has won the sales battle up until last year, so there's no point in debating who sold what when. I wanted to point out that Apple was not the ONLY one with a smartphone, nor were they even the first.

i'm not arguing that the iPhone was the first smartphone - as I mentioned in post #52 and restated in post #60 microsoft had at least a 7 year jump on apple and now 12 years later they finally have something that can pass muster - and in my opinion the first version (or two) of andriod were not really very good either

Hey i'm with you on Microsoft. Though once they get things figured out, they are tough to beat. Thus the reason I fully expect Microsoft to win the mobile device battle in the end. Apple and Google got the head start, but Microsoft has far more resources and experience in selling stuff in the tech market than either, so in the long run it's a safe bet that they will win out (whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is another argument altogether).

apple was first to market with a mobile internet enabled communication device that people actually wanted to use
and yes their marketing is really good, but even spectacular marketing can only help out a bad product so much

Agreed on the first part, disagree on the second part. I've said all along that Apple's magic is in packaging and marketing. They could offer up a pile of dog shit with an apple logo and it would sell like mad.

However, marketing and presentation can make up for ANYTHING...case in point - Volkswagen.

how many touchscreen devices were on the market in 2007?
how many of those devices were something that the average person would use many times throughout the course of a day at work and at home?
that alone - the touchscreen - was a very big step forward ... the prototype android phone you mention doesn't have a touchscreen ... it kind of looks like a cool blackberry

But again, apple didn't build the first touchscreen mobile device, that was Palm. They didn't even pioneer the capacitive multi-touch screen, that was IBM (almost 10 years prior). They didn't create the smartphone, that was RIM. They didn't build the first portable MP3 player, that was creative labs. They didn't build the first tablet computer, that was IBM. Hell Siri isn't even apple's creation. They just bought out an existing app that had been available to everyone for months at the time. Now they are out there trying to sue everyone under the sun on the grounds that people are stealing their ideas?

What ideas? The only thing apple has actually created is perceptions and images. Things like that can't be stolen. Not that the company doesn't deserve credit for that, as apple has proven, perception is far more valuable than reality. But let's give credit where it is due.

thebigjimsho
06-13-12, 11:59 AM

I knew that was coming...

Stingroo
06-13-12, 12:04 PM
:yawn:

gary88
06-13-12, 12:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk

RippyPartsDept
06-13-12, 01:16 PM
Ever hear of the concept of "the spirit of an argument"? When you start using the dictionary to refute statements on a semantics basis, it's time to bail on the argument for the sake of everyone's sanity.

To me, released simply means "unveiled", as this phone was. When I want to say that a phone was sold, I simply say "sold". Clearly Apple has won the sales battle up until last year, so there's no point in debating who sold what when. I wanted to point out that Apple was not the ONLY one with a smartphone, nor were they even the first.

the fact of the matter is that android was not first as you implied with your statement

i'm using the dictionary because you seem to be re-defining words ... innovate does not mean create ... release does not mean 'show off'

i was not trying to refute your assertion that apple was not the only one with a smart phone and i wasn't trying to say they were the first smart phone
those are both things that i have repeated a few times now (post #52 again)

Hey i'm with you on Microsoft. Though once they get things figured out, they are tough to beat. Thus the reason I fully expect Microsoft to win the mobile device battle in the end. Apple and Google got the head start, but Microsoft has far more resources and experience in selling stuff in the tech market than either, so in the long run it's a safe bet that they will win out (whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is another argument altogether).

i agree with your assessment of microsoft except i don't think they'll end up on top in this in the end

Agreed on the first part, disagree on the second part. I've said all along that Apple's magic is in packaging and marketing. They could offer up a pile of dog shit with an apple logo and it would sell like mad.

However, marketing and presentation can make up for ANYTHING...case in point - Volkswagen.

dog shit, really? you can't be serious... and even if you aren't serious that's quite the hyperbole ... sure some people might buy it (the true believers, fanbois, etc) but 'sell like mad' is a step too far for me

But again, apple didn't build the first touchscreen mobile device, that was Palm. They didn't even pioneer the capacitive multi-touch screen, that was IBM (almost 10 years prior). They didn't create the smartphone, that was RIM. They didn't build the first portable MP3 player, that was creative labs. They didn't build the first tablet computer, that was IBM. Hell Siri isn't even apple's creation. They just bought out an existing app that had been available to everyone for months at the time. Now they are out there trying to sue everyone under the sun on the grounds that people are stealing their ideas?

What ideas? The only thing apple has actually created is perceptions and images. Things like that can't be stolen. Not that the company doesn't deserve credit for that, as apple has proven, perception is far more valuable than reality. But let's give credit where it is due.

again, i never asserted they were the first at anything

all the mp3 players before the ipod were horrible ... ipod was awesome and it took over
all the phones (and smart phones) before the iphone were sub-par at best ... iphone comes along and dominates the smartphone market
capacitive touch-screens were around before the iphone, but who used them? ... iphone comes along and everyone knows what they are and a few years later every phone uses a capacitive touch screen

they figure out a way that people will enjoy the product and want to use it more than the competition
the user interface, the hardware design, and the brand identity combine to make the product more than just a product

ownership becomes and experience ... kind of like owning a luxury vehicle ...

look at these stats from a somewhat recent survey:

According to their results from a small sample of iPhone users:

40% who said they would rather give up their toothbrush for a week than their iPhone;
35% believe the iPhone reflects their sense of style;
45% of iPhone users have never paid more than 99 cents for an app;
28% would rather go a week without seeing their partner than their iPhone;
18% would rather lose their wallet and its contents than their iPhone.

these people have a very strong bond with their phone - an inanimate object (although it has recently started talking back)

half of it has to do with the marketing, but the other half is the design (software and hardware)

i'm getting way away from what i really wanted to say though which was that we are basically in agreement

here's my three main take-aways
1) extremists suck - doesn't matter the issue ... the extremists always ruin it for the reasonable people
2) apple and the iphone is not the second coming of christ but neither is android or windows phone 7
3) marketing can be powerful - be careful which kool-aid you drink

OffThaHorseCEO
06-13-12, 01:35 PM
bottom line,
choose a phone you like and get it.
dont call for the death of another company because its not the one who creates your phone.
sing the praises of "your" company if you like, but realize it is not your mother brother partner etc.
recognize the strengths of the company "your" company competes with, as well as the weaknesses of "your" company.

Chris all your points prove that marketing and hype are everything. Blackberry and Palm phones had folders since forever. Apple introduces folders and people bust nuts left and right.

Blackberry had BBM forever. BlackBerry users loved it, BB haters, mostly apple lovers said "so what who needs BBM?". Apple "introduces" iMessage, they are called geniuses, revolutionaries. Many nuts are busted that day.

The iPhone, perfect example. It wasnt so much the function, because not much of the function was shown off at first. All Jobs had to say was, "its An internet device, a phone AND an mp3 player" and the crowd goes wild.

Its public ignorance combined with:
a) other companies assumption that the public is pretty up to date on the features they offer, so they fail to market those features, as mundane or common place as they may seem and
b) Apple's willingness to market even the most mundane features and hype them up to the masses. Apples quickness to hype up things they once said were useless or stupid. Suddenly these are the coolest, most innovative, most groundbreaking things ever.

The Raven
06-13-12, 03:38 PM
i was not trying to refute your assertion that apple was not the only one with a smart phone and i wasn't trying to say they were the first smart phone

And really, that's all I was trying to get across. So we don't actually disagree that much.

all the mp3 players before the ipod were horrible ... ipod was awesome and it took over
all the phones (and smart phones) before the iphone were sub-par at best ... iphone comes along and dominates the smartphone market
capacitive touch-screens were around before the iphone, but who used them? ... iphone comes along and everyone knows what they are and a few years later every phone uses a capacitive touch screen

Actually, none of these things were "horrible" until apple's product came along. Blackberry phones were the phone to have before the iPhone, they enabled us to do things nothing else could at the time. Before they came along, PCS phones and "Palms" were the top of the ladder, but we were fine with them because we knew no better. Same goes for MP3 players and tablets. You never know what kind of tech we will have 5 years from now. Someone else could be saying "all we had before XXXXXX was the iPhone and that was horrible" in 5 years, but that would be in comparison to XXXXXX, which we don't have yet.

See what I mean? It's the normal progression of things, yet apple has people believing it's products are the second coming.

here's my three main take-aways
1) extremists suck - doesn't matter the issue ... the extremists always ruin it for the reasonable people
2) apple and the iphone is not the second coming of christ but neither is android or windows phone 7
3) marketing can be powerful - be careful which kool-aid you drink

Agreed on all three.

The iPhone, perfect example. It wasnt so much the function, because not much of the function was shown off at first. All Jobs had to say was, "its An internet device, a phone AND an mp3 player" and the crowd goes wild.

HAHAHA...I remember that speech, the introduction of the iPhone. I was laughing..."$500 for that thing?! HA...they must be crazy, that'll NEVER sell!"

Then apple proceeded to school the rest of the corporate world on how to market a product.

a) other companies assumption that the public is pretty up to date on the features they offer, so they fail to market those features, as mundane or common place as they may seem and
b) Apple's willingness to market even the most mundane features and hype them up to the masses. Apples quickness to hype up things they once said were useless or stupid. Suddenly these are the coolest, most innovative, most groundbreaking things ever.

But if that's what sells the product...how far can you really fault them? You have to respect a company that has achieved what apple has. Financially, they are a model american corporation. Operationally, well that's a different story. The real issue I have with apple is that they have chosen to resort to sabotage (suing to stop competitors from releasing products) to maintain their position rather than competing the good 'ole fashioned way...the way that got them to where they are.

gary88
06-13-12, 04:13 PM
You're aware that if a company owns a patent, whether it be hardware, software, or design-related, the are required to actively defend those patents in order to keep them? They aren't suing other companies just because they feel like it. It's better displays how ridiculous the US patent system is.

OffThaHorseCEO
06-13-12, 04:30 PM
Then apple proceeded to school the rest of the corporate world on how to market a product.

But if that's what sells the product...how far can you really fault them? You have to respect a company that has achieved what apple has. Financially, they are a model american corporation. Operationally, well that's a different story. The real issue I have with apple is that they have chosen to resort to sabotage (suing to stop competitors from releasing products) to maintain their position rather than competing the good 'ole fashioned way...the way that got them to where they are.

You cant fault them for that. Thats smart business. And to be fair to apple they never claimed to be any nicer to the customer than anyone. at least as far as i can remember. Even operationally, they make a product with a lot of potential, hide some of the features and release it not fully capable. next year they rehash it a bit and re-enable some of the features and call it the new model. AND IT SELLS!

Who else can get away with that?

The Raven
06-13-12, 04:40 PM
You're aware that if a company owns a patent, whether it be hardware, software, or design-related, the are required to actively defend those patents in order to keep them? They aren't suing other companies just because they feel like it. It's better displays how ridiculous the US patent system is.

UH HUH.

I agree with you about the US patent system. But the US patent system does not dictate that a company send out a representative of their own legal team to US customs upon the arrival of a competitor's product to force hand inspection of said product after the courts already determined that all alleged patent-infriging features had been removed, therefore creating a 3-week delay in the arrival of competing product.

Nor does the US patent OR legal system dictate that a company sue a competitor because said competitor's product is the same basic shape as their own product. You can't patent a rectangle, but apple claims it has.

This does center on the broken US patent system. But you can't tell me that apple doesn't fully realize this and isn't doing everything it can to take advantage of the situation. Notice, despite the fact that apple has adopted MANY of Samsung's, HTC's, and Motorola's own features into the iPhone, no one was suing apple until apple started this nonsense.

RippyPartsDept
06-13-12, 04:46 PM
http://media.bestofmicro.com/5/M/338458/original/Full%20Infographic%20Tech%20Wars.png

http://media.bestofmicro.com/5/M/338458/original/Full%20Infographic%20Tech%20Wars.png
(http://media.bestofmicro.com/5/M/338458/original/Full%20Infographic%20Tech%20Wars.png)
there's the patent war mess

it's not just apple

and trademarks have to be defended or they get lost - patents are granted and you can choose to go after infringements or not

RippyPartsDept
06-13-12, 04:55 PM
in my opinion software patents are the main problem ... all the other patents involved that are not software patents would probably still be in contention

and this is just part of doing business... it's messy but in the end all this stuff will go away eventually and they'll be battling over some new technology

ryannel2003
06-13-12, 11:24 PM
See that...now that's something I can't take issue with. You like iPhone over the other options, and you have your reasons. I respect that, and I applaud you for stating your opinion and not trying to present the iPhone as just a better phone.

See that's the difference between a guy who simply likes Apple products, and an "iSheep". There's absolutely nothing wrong with Apple products per se...the problem is only with people who worship them and try to tell us that Apple created the universe.

Glad I could help. I honestly didn't think you'd stick around and read through all my nonsense.

iPhone Fanboy = iSheep
Droid Fanboy = Droid***

(the forum auto-bleeps that for obvious reasons)

Apple is a great company that has made plenty of mistakes (20th Anniversary Macintosh, G4 Cube, all Performas) and to be honest I didn't even like Mac until OS X rolled around. OS 8 and 9 were horrible OSes that constantly crashed and was outclassed by a little OS called Windows 95 and Windows 98, but I will admit I always loved the way those candy colored iMac's looked. I love Apple products, but I wouldn't call myself a fanboy. I can appreciate Android as well, though I'm just not a fan. However the SGIII looks to be like the phone to beat at the moment. Technology wise, the iPhone has been behind for years now but that never bothered me. It works well with my Macs, is easy to use, and I'm kind of a whore when it comes to well designed electronics. The iPhone 4 is a beautiful piece of technology.

I do have to say... if Apple took a dog crap and called it iCrap, it would sell. Part of the genius of Steve Jobs and Apple is the fact that he was really a marketing person, not so much behind the scenes making or designing the products like most people would expect. Jony Ive deserves every single ounce of credit there. He has designed some of the most beautiful looking products on the planet.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n46/ryannel2003/imacg4.jpg

I mean look at that... it's seriously one of the most beautiful products I've ever seen (IMO). It's hard to believe this design is now 10 years old. I mean really, who didn't want one of those Bondi Blue iMac's when they first came out? Besides the fact it ran a horrible OS, it was the first computer that people actually wanted to be seen using. Again, marketing plays a part in that but the design also helps when it's a company like Apple where design is #1 and user input and reality take a backseat.

vincentm
06-13-12, 11:35 PM
While it is a bad time to get an iPhone, there hasn't been one Droid that has really been so great that it would send be packing and running back to the platform. All of the Droid's I have used are always great at first, but after 6 months or so they start to become laggy, slow, and downright buggy... kinda like Windows. On the other hand my iPhone was 5 months old when I got in the wreck and it was still just as fast as the day I got it. Plus like you said, it works great with Mac OS X. I don't know of any great utility that allows that kind of syncing for Droid and Mac. The SGIII looks really great, but I want a phone I can easily put in my pocket. The phone is just too big, but that might not be a problem for you. I'm perfectly fine with my 3.5" and I haven't ever thought to myself "Damn I need more screen space".

Thats why you root them custom roms never slowdown especially Cyanogen AOSP ones..

ryannel2003
06-13-12, 11:40 PM
Rooting always scared me because I didn't want to flash the phone and kill it. I prefer opening the box, turning the phone on and I instantly start downloading apps and all my data. I'd rather not have a phone that I had to root immediately after buying it. Though I'm sure my Droid would have run 10x better if it had been rooted. HTC's seem to have the most bloatware of all Android phones, though the Sense interface is by far my favorite.

Playdrv4me
06-14-12, 03:26 AM

A couple of things...

First, I was pleased when I came back here that you guys have actually managed to steer this conversation back to remarkably civil territory.

Second, I take issue with the above Martin... This whole marketing thing, in fact.

Because essentially what you are saying is that myself, Chris, Gary and Ryan are all *so stupid* that we must have fallen for Apple's hype and marketing. We *MUST* be victims! And that is the furthest thing from the truth. I've used ALL THREE of the devices being called into question and I STILL prefer the Apple eco-system and the way they package the features and user experience that are most important to me.

What I find silly about that whole "it must be the marketing" argument, is that it assumes that people are unable to return things if they don't work as promised or deliver a stellar experience. You can market crap out the damn wazoo and get the product in the customer's hands. But if the product turns out to be a disappointment all the marketing in the world won't keep you from taking it back. If there's one thing consumers like more than things, it's generally money, and in this economy people love their money more than ever. I promise you, we are not all idiots incapable of seeing beyond a marketing gimmick.

The Raven
06-14-12, 09:36 AM
A couple of things...

First, I was pleased when I came back here that you guys have actually managed to steer this conversation back to remarkably civil territory.

Second, I take issue with the above Martin... This whole marketing thing, in fact.

Because essentially what you are saying is that myself, Chris, Gary and Ryan are all *so stupid* that we must have fallen for Apple's hype and marketing. We *MUST* be victims! And that is the furthest thing from the truth. I've used ALL THREE of the devices being called into question and I STILL prefer the Apple eco-system and the way they package the features and user experience that are most important to me.

What I find silly about that whole "it must be the marketing" argument, is that it assumes that people are unable to return things if they don't work as promised or deliver a stellar experience. You can market crap out the damn wazoo and get the product in the customer's hands. But if the product turns out to be a disappointment all the marketing in the world won't keep you from taking it back. If there's one thing consumers like more than things, it's generally money, and in this economy people love their money more than ever. I promise you, we are not all idiots incapable of seeing beyond a marketing gimmick.

I didn't take his comment that way at all, and I don't mean my comments to sound that way. I've said many times if you have tried apple's products and the competition and you simply prefer apple's stuff, I have no issue with you. I don't think you're an idiot, and I don't think you are falling for marketing ploys. It's just like cars...we don't all automatically buy the BEST, we buy what we like. Sometimes what we like is actually the worst, but we don't mind even paying MORE for it because in the end, you want what you want. Same thing here.

The problem is that apple attracts far more "noobs" than anyone else thanks to their "easy to use" designs. So, as a result, that vast majority of people buying iPhones and iPads are buying them because of the hype and marketing. They don't even have a clue of the capability of the device they're buying. Nor will they ever use it for more than facebook, texting, and email. They just have it in their head that it's the device to have, and that's a result of apple's marketing. That's what I feel he was getting at, and that's definitely what i'm talking about.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-14-12, 10:00 AM
I grew up on Windows...95, 98, XP, etc...and prefer the smoother running, simpler to use Macbook I've got now. I am by no means a computer geek or guru, I just want something that is reliable, smooth and simple and that is exactly what it does. I've never had a crash in the 3+ years I've owned it, it's never been repaired and it costs me nothing now that it's paid for. I've owned the iPhone 3G and the Droid X and they both have their pros and cons and it's a very close comparison, but in a perfect world, I'll take the iPhone.

RippyPartsDept
06-14-12, 10:07 AM
why can't apple make people think the same way about their other products?? (iPad excluded)

People don't walk into best buy saying "i want OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion... where are those computers?"

i think it has to do with the fact that they were first to market on top of the fact that they had such a good product with no competition (basically) for about a year and then add their marketing into the mix and you have planted that seed in the minds of the casual tech consumer that apple is the best and the brand to have

the above example works for both the iPhone and the iPad ... they had such a head start that those products were able to rack up major points in the 'mindshare' race

The Raven
06-14-12, 10:13 AM
why can't apple make people think the same way about their other products?? (iPad excluded)

People don't walk into best buy saying "i want OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion... where are those computers?

When was the last time you saw an OS X commercial, or a Macbook commercial? I know I can't remember. Conversely, not a day goes by that I don't see multiple iPhone/iPad commercials. Apple has never been able to compete on operating system or desktop/notebook PC (mostly because of their pricing)...so they put their money where they know the best return is...mobile products.

RippyPartsDept
06-14-12, 12:28 PM
to tell you the truth, i don't watch commercials ... very seldom will I be watching something live and can't skip commercials

but a google search revealed this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9z3RWmZEjs

apparently there's a new macbook pro with a retina display

The Raven
06-14-12, 01:28 PM

Ahh...another great point comes up here. This whole "Retina" thing. Do you know what makes a "Retina" display? Apple themselves said that to qualify as a "Retina" display, a screen must have a pixel density of at least 300ppi. The iPhone 4 is 326ppi. Ok good. However, the "New iPad" is 264ppi, and that's called Retina. Best of all this new Macbook is 217ppi. So as you can see, "Retina" means what apple decides it means. And while 217ppi is definitely very nice, my 15" sandy bridge laptop, which I built six months ago, has a 184ppi display with 95% color gamut (AUO B156HW04). The screens in the new iPad and MacBook are 66%, which makes a much bigger visual difference than the 30ppi does. Despite all this, these new Retina-equipped laptops are looked at as groundbreaking, when really they are simply evolutionary.

Playdrv4me
06-14-12, 07:10 PM
Retina to me is the inability to see pixels from a normal operating distance for that given product. While 326ppi on a laptop display would be awesome, you are typically far enough away from it where 220.5 dpi is more than sufficient to present this same experience. There are few things I hate more on this planet than pixels, and for the longest time I've felt like consumer grade displays are woefully low resolution. Worse yet, 99 percent of laptops (INCLUDING Macbooks like my Air) do not have IPS displays. This "Retina" Macbook addresses both of those concerns. It's another product I can't wait to see in the refurbished area. Better yet, I'll be even more excited when they trickle this down to the Airs. The only real fail here was that Apple did not offer this display in a matte finish version (yet).

I remember being pretty stoked about Sony's Z Series which have 13.1 inch displays with 1920x1080 resolution, but the problem is that the current iterations of Windows don't have a very effective resolution scaling capability, so everything gets painfully small. If you increase DPI settings, then things are out of proportion. OSX Mountain Lion will maintain all of the content at exactly the same size on the screen, but dozens of times crisper and sharper with the increased resolution, which is the way it should work. It's the whole package that Apple generally tends to hype (sometimes excessively, no argument there), but the good news is that now PC makers will begin to move toward higher res displays as well. Windows 8 will hopefully have the same scaling abilities as OSX. Once PC makers get a hold of this display, I would almost venture a guess that it will be built in to their premium lineups, probably at similar prices.

If you want to look at a ridiculously priced laptop display, check out the HP DreamColor series for graphics professionals. I would love to see that monitor/laptop in person.

ryannel2003
06-14-12, 07:48 PM
I still love Windows XP. It's an easy to use operating system that I basically grew up with for many, many years before I switched to OS X. Even when I did the switch, I always had a machine with XP on it just because of the software compatibility and the fact that it was around for a very long time. I would say that me learning all the functions of Windows XP and how it works is what lead me to pursue a degree in computer technology. However, by 2003 Apple was already showing signs of major strengthening when OS X Panther came on the market. I would say that OS X 10.0-10.2 "Jaguar" were more beta-like and couldn't do a lot of the things that Windows could. By the time 10.4 "Tiger" was out along with Intel processors, the company really skyrocketed and it has been that way ever since.

gary88
06-14-12, 07:51 PM
For someone like me who works with high-res photos a lot, 2880x1800 is a godsend, not to mention it's IPS as well. Not everyone needs it though, and Apple isn't forcing you to have one either as the lower-res screens are still available. My four year old MBP is starting to show its age so I may be due for an upgrade later this year.

ryannel2003
06-14-12, 07:56 PM
I'm not a power user at all. My most processor intensive task on my MacBook Pro was editing some small movies and retouching in iPhoto and Aperture (though I'm definitely an amateur when it comes to the latter). That's why I'm just going to get the 11" Air; hell I might even go cheap and get a used $400 plastic MacBook until I have sufficient funds. My priorities in life are as follows: 1) BMW 2) Eating and sleeping 3) Makin money 4) BMW

Makin money should probably be #1 because then I can get the BMW just how I want it. Perfect.

The Raven
06-14-12, 08:05 PM
While 326ppi on a laptop display would be awesome, you are typically far enough away from it where 220.5 dpi is more than sufficient to present this same experience.

Actually, 1920x1080 is more than sufficient up to 15" display size. Anything above that resolution, without going to a larger screen, simply means that the laptop must carry a more powerful GPU, which also means it's going to suck battery even faster. As I mentioned above, color gamut improvements are far more visually impressive than increased ppi.

...but the problem is that the current iterations of Windows don't have a very effective resolution scaling capability, so everything gets painfully small. If you increase DPI settings, then things are out of proportion.

Windows Vista handles scaling PERFECTLY. 7 does just as well, and even makes adjustment easier. XP was not good at scaling at all, however. My work laptop has a 1920 x 1200 (yes, 4:3 even) 13" display, and it runs Vista, which handles the high-res screen beautifully.

Playdrv4me
06-14-12, 11:40 PM
Actually, 1920x1080 is more than sufficient up to 15" display size. Anything above that resolution, without going to a larger screen, simply means that the laptop must carry a more powerful GPU, which also means it's going to suck battery even faster. As I mentioned above, color gamut improvements are far more visually impressive than increased ppi.

Well that's just a glass half full kind of perspective. 1920x1080 may be *enough*, but the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. I can still see pixels at 1920x1200 on the 17 inch MBP display as well as on the 15 inch MBP display at 1680x1050. The new MBP still gets at least 7 hours of battery life, so I'm not concerned about the GPU changes. I for one look at it positively, as it means the entire industry will move toward ultra high res displays over time. Hell, 4k on televisions (and the decade it will take for the CONTENT to follow along) is overdue as far as I'm concerned.

Playdrv4me
06-14-12, 11:42 PM
I still love Windows XP. It's an easy to use operating system that I basically grew up with for many, many years before I switched to OS X. Even when I did the switch, I always had a machine with XP on it just because of the software compatibility and the fact that it was around for a very long time. I would say that me learning all the functions of Windows XP and how it works is what lead me to pursue a degree in computer technology. However, by 2003 Apple was already showing signs of major strengthening when OS X Panther came on the market. I would say that OS X 10.0-10.2 "Jaguar" were more beta-like and couldn't do a lot of the things that Windows could. By the time 10.4 "Tiger" was out along with Intel processors, the company really skyrocketed and it has been that way ever since.

Windows XP and OSX are virtually on par with eachother as far as I'm concerned. XP has a business-like simplicity and efficiency to it that I had a hard time letting go of. We (and many other enterprises) still use it at work and it's just like an old pickup truck. No frills, gets the job done and doesn't hog resources in the process. Unfortunately, it's going to be a security risk soon as Microsoft will stop providing important updates in 2014.

brandondeleo
06-14-12, 11:49 PM
I have an Asus X52F 15" laptop. It's very sleek and good looking, it's nearly two years old, and I have never once had an issue, a virus, or any kind of problem. Windows 7 is good looking and easy to use. It works well for all I do on a computer. (Forums, Facebook, pictures, and music.) It was fairly cheap, and it's just fine. There comes a point at which people go WAY overboard.

Playdrv4me
06-15-12, 12:02 AM
I have an Asus X52F 15" laptop. It's very sleek and good looking, it's nearly two years old, and I have never once had an issue, a virus, or any kind of problem. Windows 7 is good looking and easy to use. It works well for all I do on a computer. (Forums, Facebook, pictures, and music.) It was fairly cheap, and it's just fine. There comes a point at which people go WAY overboard.

I don't know what this means, Brandon. Why should overboard for you be indicative of what someone else feels is good for them? I think gaming laptops are silly, but I understand why some really crazy gaming enthusiasts want them. This is why I don't personally care about GPU specs, so long as it's sufficient to run the resolution of the machine properly. I go to sleep with my laptop by my side, I wake up with my laptop there, I use it for work purposes, I use it for everything. It's one of the few really nice things I have, so if I want to be pleased when I stare at the screen every day, even with the tiny bit of photographic work I do, I think that's entirely reasonable. People spend way more on things they use way less than a good solid computer.

That's part of the problem with the constant argument against the price of Apple products, too. For example, there's the age old "The Macbook Air is just a netbook and I can get a netbook for 250 bucks at WalMart"... Well, personally I wanted something the size of a Netbook because I *DID* love the size, but Netbooks are very low powered machines designed for basic web surfing. The Macbook Air packs full size laptop, or even desktop specs into a tiny sliver of a machine for only about 800.00 more. It's also very durable. I've dropped mine out of the car on concrete at the corner and it dented, but it worked perfectly.

Another good example is the 27 inch Cinema display. LG released 27 inch glass to Dell and Apple at the same time. Dell priced their UltraSharp version at 1099.00 with a CFL back light. Apple priced theirs at 999 with an LED backlight. Not only that, if you wanted the iMac, Apple would throw in an entire computer for about 400.00 more. So value is a relative thing as far as I'm concerned. Just because cheap things are available, does not mean that we all want cheap things. If you look at the *PREMIUM* products by some of the brands who are Apple's competitors, like Dell's XPS series, the price gaps for each given category with SIMILAR specifications, shrinks dramatically. In some cases the competitor's product is MORE expensive. But since everyone else builds cheap plastic toys, Apple is held to the same general standard, and then called overpriced.

There IS definitely a lot of overpriced Apple crap, like the Mac Pros and some of the accessories, but many of the core products themselves are actually somewhat reasonable.

brandondeleo
06-15-12, 12:13 AM
LolWHOA. :lol:

I mean, is there a point at which the performance is so great that it's almost indiscernible to the human eye when you pay another $10k for it? (if that sentence made any sense...) I am now stepping out of the discussion between the computer people. [/asshandedtome]

thebigjimsho
06-15-12, 12:25 AM
I grew up on Windows...95, 98, XP, etc...and prefer the smoother running, simpler to use Macbook I've got now. I am by no means a computer geek or guru, I just want something that is reliable, smooth and simple and that is exactly what it does. I've never had a crash in the 3+ years I've owned it, it's never been repaired and it costs me nothing now that it's paid for. I've owned the iPhone 3G and the Droid X and they both have their pros and cons and it's a very close comparison, but in a perfect world, I'll take the iPhone.

But you're not in a perfect world. So you're taking the Android?

thebigjimsho
06-15-12, 12:28 AM
to tell you the truth, i don't watch commercials ... very seldom will I be watching something live and can't skip commercials

but a google search revealed this

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9z3RWmZEjs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9z3RWmZEjs)

I was literally reading this very post when the Macbook Pro w/ retina display commercial comes on during the Heat/OKC game...

Playdrv4me
06-15-12, 01:04 AM
LolWHOA. :lol:

I mean, is there a point at which the performance is so great that it's almost indiscernible to the human eye when you pay another $10k for it? (if that sentence made any sense...) I am now stepping out of the discussion between the computer people. [/asshandedtome]

LOL that was not my intent.

You definitely have a point and it's called law of diminishing returns. However, it depends on what you were looking for in the first place. I personally love high resolution displays, so if I purchase a computer for that reason and it has a very high res display, the return for me is exactly what I was expecting it to be.

Personally, I think buying a laptop for visibility is silly. And if I were going to do that, I think a Thinkpad or Sony Z Series is far sexier than a plain grey Macbook everyone else already has. Hell mine's covered with a black protective cover anyway (after I dropped it on the concrete LOL).

Jesda
06-15-12, 01:10 AM
800x600 is all anyone needs.

Stingroo
06-15-12, 01:46 AM
640x480 fo lyfe.

Playdrv4me
06-15-12, 03:04 AM
640x480 fo lyfe.

TBJS's avatar would be gargantuan on a 640x480 display.

The Raven
06-15-12, 09:54 AM
Well that's just a glass half full kind of perspective. 1920x1080 may be *enough*, but the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. I can still see pixels at 1920x1200 on the 17 inch MBP display as well as on the 15 inch MBP display at 1680x1050. The new MBP still gets at least 7 hours of battery life, so I'm not concerned about the GPU changes. I for one look at it positively, as it means the entire industry will move toward ultra high res displays over time. Hell, 4k on televisions (and the decade it will take for the CONTENT to follow along) is overdue as far as I'm concerned.

I'm talking about 1920x1080 on 15" max. Anything bigger, and I agree pixelation is noticeable. I have no issue with people wanting high res, 24" flat panels. That makes perfect sense. But this whole "Retina" mobile display idea is really silly when you think of the ramifications. Cost goes way up, the display itself requires more power, AND necessitates a much more powerful GPU, which raises power requirements exponentially. All this in a world where battery technology lags far behind mobile device technology. Our biggest gripe right now is our kickass phones can't make it through a day of heavy use on a single charge. A laptop can't make it through one DVD. Yet we want MORE energy sucking displays for what amounts to nothing but a bragging right advantage.

Dumb. But apple's got people eating it up as fast as they can produce it.

That's part of the problem with the constant argument against the price of Apple products, too. For example, there's the age old "The Macbook Air is just a netbook and I can get a netbook for 250 bucks at WalMart"... Well, personally I wanted something the size of a Netbook because I *DID* love the size, but Netbooks are very low powered machines designed for basic web surfing. The Macbook Air packs full size laptop, or even desktop specs into a tiny sliver of a machine for only about 800.00 more. It's also very durable. I've dropped mine out of the car on concrete at the corner and it dented, but it worked perfectly.

This would be a point if there were no competition for a MacBook Air. But that's not the case. MSI (with their X-series) and Asus (with their UltraLite series) have offered better options for nearly 5 years. My wife's 3-year-old X300 has a Core 2 Duo CPU, 4GB DDR2-800, 500GB 7200rpm HDD, and discrete graphics (ATI something) with a 1920x1080 LED backlit screen. Many of these things you couldn't even GET in a MacBook Air when the X300 launched, let alone for the price of $899. On top of all that, the X is mostly serviceable (removable battery, RAM socket, extra miniPCI-X slot), despite being just ballhair (0.76" vs. the Air's 0.75") thicker.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-15-12, 12:41 PM
Everyone is telling me to go with Sprint...you guys, friends, coworkers... I'll stop by the local store today and see what their pricing would be on different plans.

RippyPartsDept
06-15-12, 12:46 PM
I think sprint's unlimited everything plan is like $80

OffThaHorseCEO
06-15-12, 01:52 PM
I didn't take his comment that way at all, and I don't mean my comments to sound that way. I've said many times if you have tried apple's products and the competition and you simply prefer apple's stuff, I have no issue with you. I don't think you're an idiot, and I don't think you are falling for marketing ploys. It's just like cars...we don't all automatically buy the BEST, we buy what we like. Sometimes what we like is actually the worst, but we don't mind even paying MORE for it because in the end, you want what you want. Same thing here.

The problem is that apple attracts far more "noobs" than anyone else thanks to their "easy to use" designs. So, as a result, that vast majority of people buying iPhones and iPads are buying them because of the hype and marketing. They don't even have a clue of the capability of the device they're buying. Nor will they ever use it for more than facebook, texting, and email. They just have it in their head that it's the device to have, and that's a result of apple's marketing. That's what I feel he was getting at, and that's definitely what i'm talking about.

A couple of things...

I meant it the way raven said it.

You didnt blindly buy apple products and stick to them and make claims such as "it just works" and "it never needs rebooting" and "it never gets viruses". You didnt get an iphone "because its the best" or "because it does everything" or "for status" like most of the public does.

90% of iphone owners probably only use features available in the cheapest smart phone or even a flip phone, but they "need" an iphone. thats what i was getting at.

hueterm
06-15-12, 01:55 PM
Everyone is telling me to go with Sprint...you guys, friends, coworkers... I'll stop by the local store today and see what their pricing would be on different plans.

I've had Sprint for more than 10 years. I won't switch unless they drop their unlimited data.

hueterm
06-15-12, 02:00 PM
I think sprint's unlimited everything plan is like $80

That's for unlimited data. Unlimited data + calling is $99 plus $10 for premium smartphone data surcharge. W/the insurance and taxes, my bill is $133.00.

RippyPartsDept
06-15-12, 03:32 PM
damn, then i guess my grandfathered unlimited iphone data plan with at&t is a steal at ~$92/mo

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-15-12, 08:18 PM
I went down to the local Sprint store and talked with one of the sales reps, went through the HTC's, Samsungs and iPhones with him. Talked with him and he recommended the iPhone for me because I have a Macbook, then I played around with the iPhones a bit and decided I'll be going back with them once my contract expires in July. Their everything plan (w/ 450 minutes to land lines per month) is $80 a month. I'm paying $135 now, so it'll be a huge savings!

The Raven
06-15-12, 10:02 PM
That's for unlimited data. Unlimited data + calling is $99 plus $10 for premium smartphone data surcharge. W/the insurance and taxes, my bill is $133.00.

Holy crap...my bill for TWO 4G phones with unlimited everything is $142 including all taxes and the "4G" surcharge.

hueterm
06-15-12, 10:13 PM
With whom?

The Raven
06-15-12, 10:35 PM
With whom?

I'm sorry, I thought I had established that my personal provider is Sprint.

My company's phones are with Verizon.

hueterm
06-15-12, 10:46 PM
You may have. I'm not reading every post over a 13 page thread.

thebigjimsho
06-16-12, 12:20 PM
My bill with 2 phones, Sprint Direct Connect, 450 minutes to non cell users on each phone, unlimited data and a Hotspot connection is under $200 a month.

And as the Hotspot is my only internet access point, you should see the data I use. Sprint should not like me...

hueterm
06-16-12, 12:34 PM
I thought they capped Hotspot transfers...

The Raven
06-16-12, 02:11 PM
My bill with 2 phones, Sprint Direct Connect, 450 minutes to non cell users on each phone, unlimited data and a Hotspot connection is under $200 a month.

And as the Hotspot is my only internet access point, you should see the data I use. Sprint should not like me...

That's one thing I don't have, the hotspot adder.

Playdrv4me
06-16-12, 08:13 PM
My bill is 50 bucks with unlimited everything. Virgin Mobile does *throttle* data after 2.5GB, however it is throttled, not turned off. Which means I can use my phone as a hotspot without the nagging letters I used to get from ATT (though I still only do it sparingly). I've been "making do" with this awesome little LG Optimus V and I had just resigned myself to having to have a crappy android phone if I was stuck on pre-paid, but it appears that Cricket and VM are now getting iPhones (albeit at full retail cost). Once some of those start to show up on the used market I'll be golden.

The only caveat with VM is that I wouldn't really call it "enterprise" level service. You sort of play second fiddle to other Sprint Spectrum customers so if a tower is jammed up the Sprint customers will get first priority. Thus far, this has not been an issue for me outside of occasionally reduced data speeds.

Stingroo
06-16-12, 11:05 PM
Yup. $45/mo unlimited everything FTW.

Thanks, MetroPCS!

$100+ per month for ONE cell phone is insane to me. I wish I had that kind of money to blow.

Playdrv4me
06-16-12, 11:44 PM
Yup. $45/mo unlimited everything FTW.

Thanks, MetroPCS!

$100+ per month for ONE cell phone is insane to me. I wish I had that kind of money to blow.

I agree, and not only that, I think a lot of the monthly prices for service type things have gotten out of hand. Most cable bills are now between 150 and 200.00 for a 1-4 person household. That is absolutely ludicrous to me. I think I have about 160 a month in ALL of my services... including cable, internet, cell phone and my one guilty indulgence which is XM/Sirius. Of course, right now my cable is essentially free, but that would be the cost if it weren't.

Stingroo
06-16-12, 11:46 PM
Yeah, cable can go F-off as well. Won't have it in my apartment, and won't miss it either.

Playdrv4me
06-16-12, 11:51 PM
Yeah, cable can go F-off as well. Won't have it in my apartment, and won't miss it either.

Actually, out of that entire list my cable TELEVISION portion would only be about 40 bucks a month with the package I would get if I didn't work there. Seems fair to me for as much time as I spend watching History, Faux News, AE, Discovery and a few others. I LIKE entertainment services, I just refuse to pay 100 bucks a month for ANY of them.

hueterm
06-16-12, 11:53 PM
I have a data USB through VM that is prepaid by the GB. It's OK. I don't use it very often.

hueterm
06-16-12, 11:55 PM
If I were going to drop anything, it would be my landline. I'm kind of old school, though...I think if I'm going to own a house -- it needs a phone hooked up to it.

brandondeleo
06-17-12, 05:46 AM
300 minutes and everything else unlimited. $25/month. Nice Android phone, too.

Virgin Mobile rocks.

Playdrv4me
06-17-12, 06:58 AM
300 minutes and everything else unlimited. $25/month. Nice Android phone, too.

Virgin Mobile rocks.

Wish I could do that one. I'm one of the few people who still TALKS on a phone regularly. The only reason I know this, despite my lack of popularity, is going over a couple of months of ATT bills before I switched, I thought "oh the 1200 minute plan will be plenty!"... Nope. Apparently I had some 1800 minute months. Not sure where it all goes.

Keep in mind on ATT that was split between night/weekend and mobile to mobile minutes of course so I never ran over, but I def can't do the 300 minute Virgin plan.

brandondeleo
06-17-12, 07:11 AM
I pretty much don't talk on the phone... When I do, I use the land line at home. (I know, we still have one!)

ShapeShifter
06-17-12, 08:16 AM
I pretty much don't talk on the phone... When I do, I use the land line at home. (I know, we still have one!)
My limited use of a phone is pretty much a land line too. I have T-Mobile's To Go no contract plan. Once you reach Gold Rewards Status, your unused minutes carry over at year end. I spend $50 a year, and always have carry over minutes. My cell phone usage is basically for emergency purposes and travel.

talismandave
06-17-12, 10:25 AM
300 minutes is a year supply for me! I don't talk or text, give me data lots of it cheap, and I'm a happy camper!

thebigjimsho
06-17-12, 06:06 PM
I thought they capped Hotspot transfers...

Maybe since I'm an uber-short-platinum customer, I don't have a cap. Never seen one in 2 years of hotspotting...

thebigjimsho
06-17-12, 06:11 PM
Also, my entire phone bill is a write-off.

I rarely talk on the phone. I use the Direct Connect to talk to my office and my brother. Most of my friends, I text or email or chat.

But the new best comm feature is the Voxer app. It's a walkie talkie like app. You actually talk and don't have to carry a normal conversation, but can carry a conversation if you like.

The Direct Connect works best while driving. Voxer will be invaluable while driving, too...

thebigjimsho
06-17-12, 06:12 PM
Oh, and I have no landline. Just no need for it...

talismandave
06-17-12, 07:06 PM
I always tell everyone...If you need an answer right away, email me. Can't always answer a phone.

The Raven
06-17-12, 07:53 PM
Maybe since I'm an uber-short-platinum customer, I don't have a cap. Never seen one in 2 years of hotspotting...

With Sprint? There is no limits, no throttling, nothing. I've heard lots of people who don't have Sprint complain that Sprint throttles data. Never understood that. I don't know how long this will last, but as of right now, Sprint is truly unlimited. They stand to gain alot by keeping things that way too, with Verizon bumping rates up yet again, people are going to start flocking to Sprint. You would think Verizon would have learned from the whole Netflix debacle. But apparently not.

Playdrv4me
06-18-12, 01:05 AM
With Sprint? There is no limits, no throttling, nothing. I've heard lots of people who don't have Sprint complain that Sprint throttles data. Never understood that. I don't know how long this will last, but as of right now, Sprint is truly unlimited. They stand to gain alot by keep things that way too, with Verizon bumping rates up yet again, people are going to start flocking to Sprint. You would think Verizon would have learned from the whole Netflix debacle. But apparently not.

Now there's one LEGITIMATE negative to the iPhone, albeit an indirect one... With so many people flocking to Sprint not only because of the unlimited plans, but because of that AND the fact that they offer the iPhone now (and they bet the farm on it no less), data speeds might conceivably be affected. There's a large contingent of individuals who hadn't considered Sprint in the past simply because of the phone. Now they're all funneling in that direction from ATT and VZW. But otherwise no, Sprint does not throttle.

The Raven
06-18-12, 10:16 AM
Now there's one LEGITIMATE negative to the iPhone, albeit an indirect one... With so many people flocking to Sprint not only because of the unlimited plans, but because of that AND the fact that they offer the iPhone now (and they bet the farm on it no less), data speeds might conceivably be affected. There's a large contingent of individuals who hadn't considered Sprint in the past simply because of the phone. Now they're all funneling in that direction from ATT and VZW. But otherwise no, Sprint does not throttle.

Verizon already has this issue. 3G on Verizon is terrible in my work territory because the system is so saturated. I'm sure it will become a problem for Sprint in the future, however I would imagine less so, since according to Sprint's timeline, they will have alot more LTE coverage at that point than Verizon has now.

This all remains to be seen at this point, since I have no idea if Sprint can deliver on it's claims, but i'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, since I already know Verizon can't deliver on it's claims. What can it hurt?

RippyPartsDept
06-18-12, 01:25 PM
voxxer sounds like heytell ... a couple friends told me about it over the winter

it's like mashing up texting and voice ... each voice message is like a text message and can be replied to at leisure

brandondeleo
06-18-12, 02:02 PM
This is all so damn complicated! :lol:

CadillacLuke24
06-20-12, 06:06 AM
I'll say.

thebigjimsho
06-20-12, 08:40 PM
wut.

gary88
06-20-12, 09:13 PM
http://www.monteslawgroup.com/old-blog/jitterbug_senior_citizen_cell_phone.jpg

CadillacLuke24
06-21-12, 02:30 AM
HOLY CRAP! How big is that phone?? You could commit murder with that brick (relative to today's terms. Now those 80s Motorollas....)

hueterm
06-21-12, 09:30 AM
www.adobe.com/photoshop....

gary88
06-21-12, 01:04 PM
www.adobe.com/photoshop (http://www.adobe.com/photoshop)....

http://www.jitterbugdirect.com/

hueterm
06-21-12, 01:52 PM
It can't be that big, though....

gary88
06-21-12, 02:08 PM
Better representation.

http://www.thetelecomblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/cell-phones-seniors.jpg

hueterm
06-21-12, 02:13 PM
Good grief, Charlie Brown...!

ShapeShifter
06-21-12, 03:42 PM
Those button sizes on the flip phone would be great for my high-mileage eyes. lol

thebigjimsho
06-21-12, 04:49 PM
You should see the antenna on my first cell phone. I would whip my brother in the leg with it. It left marks...

hueterm
06-21-12, 07:51 PM
You should see the antenna on my first cell phone. I would whip my brother in the leg with it. It left marks...

Thebigwhipsho

brandondeleo
06-21-12, 08:19 PM
An...ten...na...

What is this sorcery?

talismandave
06-21-12, 10:03 PM
Hey you kids...get off my lawn...:wisdom:

I figured I would start with that to save someone the trouble of looking it up when I'm done!

I remember in the mid 70s wanting one of these CB radios...
...never imaging that someday I would be driving around making calls hands free from a 1/4" thick 2"x3" box in my pocket! It's all perspective. When I was in 6th grade in 1970 in interviewed an 89 year old neighbor about the thing she saw change in her life. The town all turning out to see the first car, airplane, telephone, flush toilet, etc. in town.

hueterm
06-21-12, 10:07 PM
I did a project for business school in 1990, which was a proposal to convert one of Motorola's original flip phones into a video phone and wireless headset -- what, 10+ years prior to Bluetooth and 15+ years prior to Skype/Qik? I need to dig that out and read it...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-22-12, 09:30 AM
Mike, the prophet...