: Going LED in DRL, do I need to switch polarity?

extrabolts
06-11-12, 10:14 PM
I have my bumper off anyway due to installing a heat exchanger, so I want to put in LED for the DRL. I have the LEDs, but unfortunately the DRL will not kick on without starting the car, and I have the engine taken apart, so I cannot test them. Due to not having much time tomorrow to get it all back together, I'd like to go ahead and get the lights in and bumper, etc back on, but I want to make sure first that I'm doing it right. I saw some threads on the 04-07 saying you have to switch polarity in the plug for LEDs. Is this true for 09+ also, or is ours just plug in and go? If nobody knows I'll go ahead and post tomorrow whatever I find out for the archives.

Titaniumseeker
06-11-12, 10:38 PM
I have an 09 sedan and it was just plug and play. No other changes required. What led bulbs did you purchase because some are not as bright.

extrabolts
06-11-12, 11:06 PM
Thanks. I got the idjmtoy 64smd

extrabolts
06-16-12, 11:02 PM
for the archives, the leds are plug and play no rewiring needed. Get the white ones, those still have a bluish tint, and I can only imagine the blue ones are purple

the "white" ones are perfect and give off good light

Purple87SS
06-18-12, 12:26 PM
Pics please! How hard to swap the DRLs? The fogs were easy, but I imagine the DRLs a bit more work. Do you have to remove the front fascia?

Purple87SS
06-27-12, 01:45 PM
Anybody?

extrabolts
06-28-12, 12:08 AM
I had the bumper off anyway, which was necessary for me to get to the three bolt on the headlights since my hands are too big to fit in the access holes.

unfortunately after 2 weeks one burned out already, so I will probably just go to a silverstar bulb.

Titaniumseeker
06-28-12, 02:38 PM
Pics please! How hard to swap the DRLs? The fogs were easy, but I imagine the DRLs a bit more work. Do you have to remove the front fascia?

You have to remove the front bumper. That is the only way to get to the DRL bulbs.

extrabolts
06-30-12, 02:28 PM
You have to remove the front bumper. That is the only way to get to the DRL bulbs.

Hey do you run LEDs in your DRL? Have they lasted, and if so what brand? My HID foglights did not work either, so I'm returning those and going to start putting LEDs in the foglights until I find one that lasts. Then, I'll pull the bumper again and go back to LED in the DRL, but for now I'm just putting the stock bulb back in.

Purple87SS
07-02-12, 11:07 AM
Thanks, sounds like a lot of work for just 2 bulbs that won't last. I'll just turn off the DRL manual every time I get in the car.