: Navigation screen all lines..radio and nav do NOT work now

RaceManNate
06-11-12, 03:57 PM
I have just bought a few months ago a used 2008 STS and I love the car; however, now the navigation/radio screen is all just lines and the radio and nav do not work. Unfortunately the car is out of warranty. Anyone know of an economical fix? Thanks.

curtc
06-11-12, 03:59 PM
Try resetting the computer by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for about 15 minutes or so. Worth a shot...

curtc
06-12-12, 10:26 PM
Out of warranty on an '08 already? Aren't those 5y/100k warranties?

Ludacrisvp
06-13-12, 07:29 AM
Out of warranty on an '08 already? Aren't those 5y/100k warranties?
For powertrain only, Yes. for everything else it was the 4yr/50k IIRC

curtc
06-13-12, 10:06 PM
Lame...

Angus Young
06-14-12, 03:07 PM
I have 2 05 STS's and one radio I have had a ton of issues with, currently mine is not responding to touch, not unlike my old lady ; ) but mine was shutting off randomly and giving me a very quick message saying XM unavailable, communication problem,
I removed the radio and the reseated all connections and especially the antenna cables, once it was reinstalled the radio never shut off again, however I have to occasionally unhook the battery terminal and touch them together to reset the screen which seems like every 2 months or so. I keep a 8mm box end wrench in the console for such events.

If you plan on removing the radio you will need a 10mm socket extension and ratchet, the wood bezel, take extreme care in removing this and it is quite sticky, you will have to pull with even pressure on both sides to unhook it from the dash as it will crack or put little lines in the finish, have a small towel on hand to cover up your shifter handle, as you will rest the radio there while you unhook the connectors, the connectors have a little slide clip in it that you pull out a bit to unlock the connector.

I hope this helps you, as you will need to free up time to troubleshoot and repair the next issue on your STS,,,

Ludacrisvp
06-14-12, 04:42 PM
What was sticky? My 08 has nothing sticky relating to the radio.

EChas3
06-14-12, 08:59 PM
The bezel (i.e. trim surrounding the Nav/radio) does not come off easily. He thinks it's sticky.

Angus Young
06-15-12, 09:58 AM
Thank You, and yes the clips are very tight to pull off and keeping in mind not to pull the bezel unevenly to crack it

Angus Young
06-19-12, 12:06 PM
Does anybody know who can repair these radio's?
I have done the disconnecting of the battery cables and crossing them and Ive also disconnected the radio from the dash, and still there is no touch response from the screen.

EChas3
06-20-12, 11:11 PM
Use the serach function to find the recent (6 mo?) thread with a post from ewill3rd. It has depot repair/warranty sources.