: Cadillac sts consideration

donavo
06-11-12, 01:09 PM
Hello everyone. I'm thinking of financing this model. Looking for some advise. Now, my current case is quite interesting. I'm currently driving a 96 Cadillac sts. I really like it. Its great. I drove an 09 once. Very similar to mine just newer. I love my sts but.... Its costing me over 300 every month to just repair. And the thing is, its gonna get worse and worse. I'm feeling that some problems much more expensive are coming up. So instead of paying so much for repairs, I was thinking just paying for the car instead. And I'm sure the problems will most likely be less.... Of course not a guarantee, but its more probable than having as many problems as mine.
Some advise will be greatly appreciated. And which sts is best to get. Im thinking 08 because I like that body. Also, how reliable are they? My income is pretty stable and can support an old sts like mine.

Ludacrisvp
06-11-12, 01:51 PM
Just like any car some owners don't take care of them and are an instant money pit. Look for an 08+ you will get the 6spd transmission for both V6 and V8 models. If you see it with 6 lug rims then it also has the V series brembo brakes.

donavo
06-11-12, 02:21 PM
Oh no I take care of the car on the spot. Thats why its costing so much. Any problem that even thinks about surfacing, I take care of as soon as possible. So thats not an issue. Bit thanks for the advice. I'm looking for Automatic. But do you think that whatever I'm doing is a good idea or not?

EChas3
06-11-12, 09:21 PM
There's nothing wrong with the idea, just do your homework. The 2005 & up STS are very different from previous STS and also vary a lot between trim levels. If you think they are a lot alike, go test drive a few more.

Repairs can be spendy so strongly consider a car new enough to be Certified Pre-owned (CPO Warranty) or eligible for a good extended one.

curtc
06-11-12, 09:43 PM
:yeah: I learned that this weekend...Went in for a diff flush, came out with no diff flush and an appt. for tomorrow to fix both rear axle seals and the rear pinion seal plus the water pump...$850 I don't have to spend thanks to the 3/36k extended warranty I bought...

donavo
06-11-12, 11:28 PM
There's nothing wrong with the idea, just do your homework. The 2005 & up STS are very different from previous STS and also vary a lot between trim levels. If you think they are a lot alike, go test drive a few more.

Repairs can be spendy so strongly consider a car new enough to be Certified Pre-owned (CPO Warranty) or eligible for a good extended one.

idk they are pretty alike. they drive similarly, except mine is smoother. the MPG is very closely similar. has about the same power. maybe a little better on the later ones. of course the looks....very nice. feels lighter than mine. more control. but other than that its very close.

also, what happens when the warranty runs out? do the problems stop too or do you end up having to put up with those on your own?>

curtc
06-11-12, 11:56 PM
Ummm...problems in a car never stop...no warranty and that's all on you buddy. Remember, these cars cost $60k+ new..that's their maintenance level...not their now relatively affordable price tag.

donavo
06-12-12, 12:46 AM
no no. what i meant to ask i guess is, as an owner, do u think this car would end up costing me more than my current car? average over 300 a month on repairs alone? or would this one be less? generally speaking. how long can i drive it without any problems? estimate of course. im looking to see if its more reliable than mine basically. i know its a costly repair car.

EChas3
06-12-12, 09:30 PM
I disagree strongly with the idea of similar handling in the two STS designs. We had a beautiful 1998 STS and like all FWD's, it had torque-steer under WOT and sometimes cornered like a Honda. Don't get me wrong, it was a great car. It just fell short on performance handling. The designers focus was on luxury and the SLS was the logical extension of that design.

Maybe the MRC models were better but the designers of the 2005 STS started with performance, with better brakes and balance than any of the earlier Sevilles. They weren't quite the German killers that the older STS was advertised to be, but they did offer buyers a domestic alternative that begged to be pushed beyond the mainstream. The Northstar is finally perfected and loves WOT.

If you prefer to replace your Seville, buy a DTS. You'll be happier.

donavo
06-13-12, 02:21 AM
No I hate the dts Lol. And I didn't mean handling wise. I completely agree the newer sts has better handling and performance. I didn't drive the sts hard. I meant just regular driving, they werent that far apart. Of course the newer sts is more to the ground and better performance.
But I hate the dts Lol.... Ugly....

jimmbo
06-15-12, 07:34 PM
Wear a Kidney Belt when you drive thing thing, they will thank you

Lifer
06-17-12, 08:23 PM
06 STS V8 Turned 65,000 miles this week. Since I have owned the car (since new) my costs have been tires, an alignment (reduced the tire-eating rear camber), a full set of ceramic brakes, and oil changes and radiator fluid (flush every two years). This is what I would have spent on any car. The car runs and looks flawless. Its a daily driver, stored outdoors.