: Educate Me: Mid to late 90s Buick Riviera

Jesda
06-11-12, 11:08 AM
Any issues other than intake manifold gaskets?

They seem dependable and smooth. I like that they're attractive (though distinctly 90s) with low resale value. Looks like a reasonable example would be around $3000.

I assume the later SC versions will do 0-60 in 8 or so seconds. I don't expect them to be sporty like an Eldo ETC. My goal is long-distance comfort with light steering, reasonable fuel economy, and strong AC for Missouri summers.

How are they in the snow?
Body integrity?

hueterm
06-11-12, 11:48 AM
Any issues other than intake manifold gaskets?

They seem dependable and smooth. I like that they're attractive (though distinctly 90s) with low resale value. Looks like a reasonable example would be around $3000.

I assume the later SC versions will do 0-60 in 8 or so seconds. I don't expect them to be sporty like an Eldo ETC. My goal is long-distance comfort with light steering, reasonable fuel economy, and strong AC for Missouri summers.

How are they in the snow?
Body integrity?

Tons of room in front, good room in rear -- better than any other coupe (except maybe GP GTP). The only comfort related downside for me is the somewhat cramped lateral knee room. I like to drive w/my legs spread (no comments needed), and the door and console make that difficult. It's the main functional reason I got rid of it as a mileage burner (and that I wanted an ETC -- huge mistake). The seats are very comfortable and there is a ton of front leg room.

8 seconds is about right for the Series II S/C. Probably a tad slower than a W-body, due to the weight.

Body integrity is second only to maybe a W140. I've never driven mine in the snow, but heavy FWD w/TC should do great if you have good tires. It has a decent amount of ground clearance. There aren't a lot of dams/moldings in front. Even after my dad fell asleep at the wheel and ran it off of I-44, breaking the right front wheel and tearing up the steering and suspension on the right side of the car, it is still solid as a rock.

It drives a lot like my old Concours, or an ESC or SLS would. It's not floaty like a base Deville or Park Avenue would be.

I've thought about buying another one, as a secondary driver, since I'm keeping my current '97 as a collectable.

It does require premium. Maybe 16-17 in town/26-27 highway.

Mine has been extremely reliable. The only problems w/mine are a buggy HVAC head unit that sometimes takes a while on startup to correctly route the A/C -- and the battery drain likely caused by my XM Commander (probably not the car's fault). In 6 years, I don't think it's ever been in for a mechanical repair (that wasn't accident related) other than getting the headlight bulbs replaced or obviously OCD level of maintenance.

Do recommend. Strongly.

brandondeleo
06-11-12, 12:09 PM
I like that generation of the Riviera. Good looking car. There's a maroon one around town that trudges through the snow just fine every winter.

vincentm
06-11-12, 12:45 PM
Miss my cousin's sky blue 84 riviera, i was going to get it after he hung himself but i was "too young" at the time.

Faded Crest
06-11-12, 12:48 PM
80's Rivieras trumped 80's Eldorados because of the 307 vs. the 4100. I had a 1983 Riviera and I loved it. Mid-late '90s Rivieras are interesting, but I am too much in love with the looks of the Eldorado of the same time period.

Kev
06-11-12, 01:07 PM
I rather prefer the mid 60's Riviera, but then, I'm old.

hueterm
06-11-12, 03:40 PM
Back to '90s Rivs, I don't think the resale is all that low. Very low mileage examples (like mine) are still in the $6-8K range. Which is what I paid 6 years ago (albeit for 38K miles...)

Despite a big difference in original MSRP, I would think that Rivs (and especially PAs) are going for as much as or more than Sevilles and Eldos...

truckinman
06-11-12, 03:43 PM
I rather prefer the mid 60's Riviera, but then, I'm old.

Isn't the mid to late 60s riv the boat tail years? Bc I love that style too!

Faded Crest
06-11-12, 03:48 PM
Boat tails were early 70s. '71-'73.

truckinman
06-11-12, 03:54 PM
Oh that's right. Well those were nice cars. Would love to have one

hueterm
06-11-12, 04:35 PM
Jesda, also, when I was researching before buying mine -- I read that you want '97s and '98s (or obvi '99s, but those were primarily Silver Arrows). '95s only had the Series I engines and both '95 and '96 were more gremlin prone. I just don't remember specifically what their problems were.

talismandave
06-11-12, 04:48 PM
Isn't the mid to late 60s riv the boat tail years? Bc I love that style too!
I was going to say the same thing. I absolutely hated those when they were new, now, I really could go for one.

Ranger
06-11-12, 09:31 PM
Jesda, also, when I was researching before buying mine -- I read that you want '97s and '98s (or obvi '99s, but those were primarily Silver Arrows). '95s only had the Series I engines and both '95 and '96 were more gremlin prone. I just don't remember specifically what their problems were.
I had a '96 and I forget if it was series I or II, but the manifold problem was that there is a "stove pipe" that routes EGR gases into the manifold right behind the TB. It gets VERY hot and eventually gets the manifold hot and brittle to the point that it leaks coolant. I had to replace the manifold because of it, but I machined a new "stove pipe" a little smaller in diameter so it was no longer in contact with the manifold and had an air space around it. I think that problem was fixed in later years, but I am not sure when.

drewsdeville
06-11-12, 09:46 PM
Yeah that's the Series II. The last case I saw was last fall - the intake crack leaked coolant so bad that it hydrolocked one of the cylinders and broke a connecting rod.

Needless to say, it was trashed. It's not a problem to be taken lightly. If anyone experiences it, don't wait - get it taken care of.

hueterm
06-11-12, 09:59 PM
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1995-to-1999-buick-riviera.htm

ga_etc
06-11-12, 10:17 PM
They seem to take abuse well, are still stylish, fuel efficient, and the S/Cs are easily modded to go like hell. Anything I'm missing?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-11-12, 10:36 PM
The supercharged 3800's don't have the intake manifold gasket problem that the naturally aspirated ones do. The S/C models have an aluminum intake manifold whereas the N/A models have the plastic intake manifold. I put about 40k miles on my Supercharged 3800 and NEVER had an issue with it leaking coolant or oil internally or externally. It is an engine that I would absolutely recommend to anyone, and I wasn't the easiest on that engine.

With my GS, I got 20-22 MPG in city, depending on the time of the year, and 26-28 MPG highway depending on the speed of the drive and time of the year. 0-60 for mine was 6.7 seconds, and with an additional 200 lbs, I'd guesstimate the 0-60 of a supercharged Riviera at low-mid 7 second range. In 1995-96, they offered both the N/A and S/C 3800's, but by 98, the S/C was standardized. I read a lot of reviews from owners saying that the 1995 and 96 had a lot of "teething issues" because the G-Body platform was completely new in '95, but by '97 they were pretty faultless. If they're at all like my GS in terms of reliability and durability, it's a solid 10/10 in terms of ease of ownership.

As a matter of fact, if I could have found a clean, low mileage Riviera instead of my GS, I would have bought that in a heartbeat. It is my favorite S/C 3800 car, even more so than the Park Avenue Ultra. I think they're a good looking, totally distinctive design with a killer interior, all around awesome powertrain and amazing reliability.

So yes, I'd wholeheartedly recommend a nice Riviera.

drewsdeville
06-11-12, 10:37 PM
They were nifty cars in their time, I personally never got over the uncontemporary styling. It's different, but not in a tasteful or pleasing way, to me. It always looked to me like it was trying too hard to be different - like someone took a blank piece of paper and went nuts with a compass, occasionally using a marshmallow as a stencil. I suppose it succeeded in it's goal, but it paid a large price in my eyes.

Just takes a certain type of person to see the beauty in it I suppose.

For the '95-'99 generation of this platform we are discussing, I'd rather opt for it's sister, the Aurora. Sleeker, more stylish, sportier interior, and a more pleasing N* drivetrain.

ga_etc
06-11-12, 10:44 PM
Did you really just advocate something with a N* derived engine? Hell has officially frozen over...

Jesda
06-11-12, 10:49 PM
Hell got so cold, DKoz moved there.

drewsdeville
06-11-12, 10:50 PM
The supercharged 3800's don't have the intake manifold gasket problem that the naturally aspirated ones do. The S/C models have an aluminum intake manifold whereas the N/A models have the plastic intake manifold.

This is false, sort of. You've combined two seperate problems into one generalization. There are two problems here related to both engines, both problems related to the intake side:

In NA form, the intake system is two part - lower aluminum, upper plastic. Ranger covered the big problem with the manifold itself, being sourced at the EGR pipe. This is also the era where GM couldn't make an intake gasket seal to save their lives, and the 3800 suffered, like most. The scrubbing action between the cast iron heads and aluminum intake manifold tore the plastic gaskets up frequently.

The SC doesn't have problems with the manifold itself, being all aluminum as you mentioned, but DOES still inherit the same gasket problem being aluminum on iron with similar insufficient plastic gaskets.

There are aftermarket aluminum gaskets available to help address this problem.

drewsdeville
06-11-12, 10:53 PM
Did you really just advocate something with a N* derived engine? Hell has officially frozen over...

I personally don't have big beef with the N*. I recognize it's flaws, and I'm disappointed that GM allowed the engine to continue for 20 years with little improvement, it was very dated well before it was even retired, but the system as a whole was very impressive at one time. Pwnz a 3800 in my book.

I do own a N*, you know.

I believe you've confused me with Destroyer.

ga_etc
06-11-12, 11:02 PM
Quite the contrary. I know exactly who I'm referring to. I'm just surprised to see you reluctantly suggesting something with a N* engine.

drewsdeville
06-11-12, 11:08 PM
Well, if I don't like the N*, I guess I like the other option even less then.

Jesda
06-11-12, 11:12 PM
Intake gasket issues aren't that expensive to fix. I mean, expensive relative to the car's value perhaps, but otherwise nothing terrible for the average automotive hobbyist who likely spends a lot on car stuff anyway:
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Buick/Century/2001/engine/leaking_coolant_intake_manifold_gasket_failure.sht ml

But indeed, it should be addressed early once symptoms are detected to prevent further damage.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-11-12, 11:13 PM
I like the Aurora's design better, inside & out, but I'd stay far far away from an early Northstar, even more so considering it's slower than a S/C 3800..

ga_etc
06-11-12, 11:14 PM
I should rephrase that I suppose. It seems as though you would be reluctant to suggest something with a N* just from the fact that you're quick to point out the flaws of any vehicle mentioned.

Jesda
06-11-12, 11:18 PM
Looks like 97-99 Rivieras get an HD version of the 4T65E 4-speed auto.

drewsdeville
06-11-12, 11:21 PM
I should rephrase that I suppose. It seems as though you would be reluctant to suggest something with a N* just from the fact that you're quick to point out the flaws of any vehicle mentioned.

I find many vehicles interesting, even the ones I don't like, even the dark sides of their engineering. Spotting and loving the pros is easy, but you really don't know what you have until you realize and accept the cons as well. If you can't accept those cons, you'll never get what you want or be happy with what you have.

Playdrv4me
06-12-12, 01:45 AM
Aurora is completely pointless if you have to deal with the Northstar in the first place (with lower output to boot). If that's the case, you just get a Seville and end up with a timeless car instead of a space-ship.

The whole point of the exercise is the Riv's undoubted relative reliability, solid good looks and great performance as a highway cruiser. That's why I initially suggested it to Jesda. And they are definitely out there in the 3-4k range if you take your time and don't need an uber low mileage example. I think even with around 60k, that one owner one I found at Midway Motors in Hutchinson was only around 6k. I should have probably jumped on that as it was a rare color, chrome wheels, sunroof and even memory and heated seats.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-12-12, 07:50 AM
Oh yeah, the seats in the Riviera are one of the best installed in a Buick in recent history.

ryannel2003
06-12-12, 08:05 AM
aurora is completely pointless if you have to deal with the northstar in the first place (with lower output to boot). If that's the case, you just get a seville and end up with a timeless car instead of a space-ship.

Stop reading my mind dammit!!!

hueterm
06-12-12, 12:38 PM
Oh Jesda... Look who came out to play.

drewsdeville
06-12-12, 06:29 PM
Aurora is completely pointless if you have to deal with the Northstar in the first place (with lower output to boot). If that's the case, you just get a Seville and end up with a timeless car instead of a space-ship.

::shrug:: I see it the other way. A '90's vintage Buick is completely pointless if you have to deal with the Rosie O'Donnell appearance and Playskool interior. A Ferrari V12 couldn't make up for it in this case, nor could a white noise producing, wheezy, OHC V6 - slightly faster or not.

To me, "dealing" with a N* is a minor sacrifice for the aesthetic return you get from the Olds. I guess I'm just not as afraid of it.

To each their own.

hueterm
06-12-12, 06:39 PM
I love both Aurora gens, but I prefer the first, as it is more unique. I see Ian's point from a practical perspective, but Auroras were still awesome. If only the XTS were as sweet....

That said. It's four doors and had no history. If it had been a coupe, named Toronado, it might be a closer call for me.

greencadillacmatt
06-13-12, 12:19 AM
The S/C 3800 in my '96 Park Ave Ultra was a great engine. Smooth, quiet, and powerful, and very reliable. I like that gen Riviera even better. I'd love to know if I fit in one or not, because I've often conisdered one for the winter. Especially in that spiffy purple color. It's glorious.

Aron9000
06-13-12, 03:32 AM
Gotta say I do love the unconventional, whale on wheels styling of the last gen Riveria. Love the supercharged v6 under the hood, both for its power output and reliability.

That being said the Eldorado is a superior machine IMO. I personally think it looks nicer, has a WAY nicer interior(the Buick interior has a cool layout but is stupid cheap in some areas), and the N* V8 is a little quicker and makes way better noises.

The thing with the Cadillac is you really roll the dice with reliability and cost of upkeep. The Buick is way more of a sure bet, and is the car I would buy unless I was independently wealthy.

brandondeleo
06-13-12, 04:28 AM
I really like The Aurora....

Proceed.

Jesda
06-14-12, 03:11 AM
To me, "dealing" with a N* is a minor sacrifice for the aesthetic return you get from the Olds. I guess I'm just not as afraid of it.

To each their own.

What's the point?

The Aurora was nice, but the Seville is better looking and more powerful. The Aurora shares the Riviera's platform but it's otherwise a very different car. Apples to oranges.

They may share some hardware, but they aren't alternatives to each other.

ltdltc
06-14-12, 10:05 PM
Second generation Aurora's are nice especially when agents and aren't jumping on the hood.

http://i.imgur.com/NL07O.jpg

But really a Seville is the all around better car.

http://i.imgur.com/nGV52.jpg

ryannel2003
06-14-12, 10:19 PM
I can't fathom why anybody would bother with the Aurora. The Seville is more powerful, more elegant, more comfortable, has a nicer interior, an amazing Bose 4.0 stereo that unmatched by any GM product (past or present) and like everybody else has said, is an all around better car. If you're going to deal with a headache, the Seville is a smarter decision.

brandondeleo
06-14-12, 10:20 PM
My favorite part is the interior. I absolutely love it. It wraps around you like a glove.

http://img2.netcarshow.com/Oldsmobile-Aurora_2002_800x600_wallpaper_04.jpg

Destroyer
06-14-12, 10:24 PM
Saying the Riviera is ugly would be a moot point since styling is subjective but..................the Riviera is ugly! :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-14-12, 10:25 PM
I prefer the 1995-99 Aurora in every way to the 2001-03 Aurora

ryannel2003
06-14-12, 10:29 PM
I also prefer the '95-'99 as well, but the '01-'03 looks good in the right color with the right wheels.

brandondeleo
06-14-12, 10:30 PM
The center stack of the 1g Aurora is better looking, actually.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3538/4921/33844960007_large.jpg

ryannel2003
06-14-12, 10:31 PM
I prefer the later models interior. The 1st gen interior looks very cheap and sloppily assembled.

brandondeleo
06-14-12, 10:32 PM
If the dash had the 1g stack layout and the 2g finish quality, it'd be perfect.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-14-12, 10:32 PM
I think the 95-99 has the nicer looking interior design, but the 01-03's interior is better assembled.

Jesda
06-14-12, 10:34 PM
Aurora's interior was very pleasant. Reminds me of the 1990 Q45.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-14-12, 10:35 PM
Aside from the Cadillacs and their Zebrano wood trim, the Aurora was the only GM car to have authentic wood trim in the '90s.

Jesda
06-14-12, 11:06 PM
http://jesda.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/wpid-aurorashowdhz6-2012-01-11-03-59.jpg

Experimental guidestar nav in the Aurora show car. Note the "trip complete" message in the text display.

ben.gators
06-14-12, 11:11 PM
http://jesda.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/wpid-aurorashowdhz6-2012-01-11-03-59.jpg

Experimental guidestar nav in the Aurora show car. Note the "trip complete" message in the text display.

What I like about Aurora interior design is the fact that the driver is the focal point of everything! Now compare it with RWD STS, where the nav system is facing to the passenger siting in the middle of the rear seat!

http://newcarenginereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/2011-Cadillac-STS-Interior-View-e1304684485477.jpg

Aron9000
06-15-12, 12:53 AM
The styling on the 1st gen Auorua was pretty nifty and cool IMO. Both inside and out, it looks like a concept car. Very different looking from what GM or anybody else at that time was making. The 2nd gen looks like a watered down, ugly version of the first car.

Playdrv4me
06-15-12, 02:17 AM
The second gen looks like it's missing half its face and just has two headlights tacked on to the front.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-15-12, 06:59 AM
The styling on the 1st gen Auorua was pretty nifty and cool IMO. Both inside and out, it looks like a concept car. Very different looking from what GM or anybody else at that time was making. The 2nd gen looks like a watered down, ugly version of the first car.

Exactly. The Aurora is what saved Oldsmobile from complete blandness in 1995 and prolonged it's life for another 8 years. Without the success of the Aurora, there would never have been an Intrigue or Alero.

brandondeleo
06-15-12, 07:05 AM
Exactly. The Aurora is what saved Oldsmobile from complete blandness in 1995 and prolonged it's life for another 8 years. Without the success of the Aurora, there would never have been an Intrigue or Alero.
I completely understand the Alero, but the Intrigue never seemed very different to me from the Alero. Maybe just a bit bigger, that's all.

Am I insane, or does the Alero bear a striking resemblance to the same era Grand Am?

(Mind you, my Olds knowledge is fairly limited.)

drewsdeville
06-15-12, 07:10 AM
The Alero WAS a Grand Am. Intrigue was a W-body (same as Impala, Grand Prix, Century, etc)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-15-12, 07:34 AM
The Aurora was the start of the very European-influenced Oldsmobiles, in terms of styling and drivability. The Aurora, Intrigue and Alero were all praised by the car magazines for being among the best driving cars in their classes. A complete 180* from the Oldsmobiles of the previous 20 years. The fact they look so similar was intentional.

brandondeleo
06-15-12, 08:15 AM
I have driven a 2002 Grand Am. It was a fun little car. Ugly, but fun.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-15-12, 08:25 AM
I despise the last generation Grand Am's. Cheap, problematic ugly cars. Funny considering how much I like the Grand Prix's.

hueterm
06-15-12, 08:31 AM
Well, Grand Prixs weren't (terribly) cheap, problematic, or ugly...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-15-12, 08:32 AM
Haha, true, but it's just funny how far apart they are.

cadillac kevin
06-15-12, 08:51 AM

That is an awesome looking interior. Its like a spaceship....with real wood

hueterm
06-15-12, 10:22 AM
1G Aurora had THE BEST gear selector EVAR.

#truestory

Playdrv4me
06-15-12, 05:54 PM
This was probably my favorite Grand Prix ever. This car looked so sophisticated for its time. The final GP was a lumpy pile of dung...

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/media/274710/1991-pontiac-grand-prix-gtp-coupe-photo-274829-s-520x318.jpg

hueterm
06-15-12, 06:43 PM
This was probably my favorite Grand Prix ever. This car looked so sophisticated for its time. The final GP was a lumpy pile of dung...

For the time, agreed... Although the '97 gen was a much better car.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-15-12, 07:12 PM
My favorite FWD Grand Prix is the 1997-03....good looking coupes and sedans, all around good cars with the only downsides being uncomfortable seats and lousy interior build quality. The 1988-96 coupes looked good, but the sedans were awkward looking.

Playdrv4me
06-15-12, 08:11 PM
Oh yes the '97 to '03 was a technically superior car and also very good looking.

For some reason I thought you guys were talking about this abonimation...

http://trialx.com/curetalk/wp-content/blogs.dir/7/files/2011/06/cars/2003_Pontiac_Grand_Prix-3.jpg

hueterm
06-15-12, 08:59 PM
No, that was terrible. Total fail.

Aron9000
06-16-12, 02:26 AM
Oh yes the '97 to '03 was a technically superior car and also very good looking.

For some reason I thought you guys were talking about this abonimation...

http://trialx.com/curetalk/wp-content/blogs.dir/7/files/2011/06/cars/2003_Pontiac_Grand_Prix-3.jpg

Agreed, that model IMO was a step backwards from the 97-02 body style. Ugly outside, horrible looking dash layout, and all the different textures of plastic made it really ugly and cheap looking inside. Granted it might have been screwed together better than the 97-02 cars, but the whole design was just ugly and junky looking. The ONE redeeming feature on that gen Grand Prix was the front buckets. Never sat in one for a long time, but they were well scuplted, nicely padded, and actually had some side boltsters that would hold you in place in the twisties.

Jesda
06-16-12, 03:01 AM
Pontiacs from the 80s and 90s look like they were designed by toddlers. Only one I liked was the Firebird and maybe a couple generations of Bonneville.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-16-12, 07:44 AM
The last generation of Grand Prix did have some great front seats for the reasons Aaron mentioned, but their back seat was terrible....hard and the backrest was a 90* angle from the seat bottoms, so it was uncomfortable over the long duration as well. But, again, overall it wasn't a bad car, I just prefer the 97-03 body style. The 2004+ GTP's were faster....260hp versus 240 and the GXP was pretty insane as well.

brandondeleo
06-16-12, 08:34 AM
Hard seats are an issue to me in our '05 G6. Seats are hard as rock.

ryannel2003
06-16-12, 09:50 AM
I too like the '97-'02 Grand Prix but like most GM cars from that area the interior looks like it was modeled by Fisher Price. If I was shopping for a car in those years from GM I would have chosen the Regal GS simply because the interior is more comfortable and better looking, though the materials aren't great in that car either. To be honest I can't say I like too many Pontiac's from the 80's or 90's; they were all horribly assembled and overstyled. I do like the G6 sedans though... very clean looking little cars, though the interiors of those cars are full of hard plastics too.

brandondeleo
06-16-12, 10:48 AM
See, that's the thing... The interior is pretty plastic-y and the seats are hard as rock, but other than that it's a cool car. It feels really planted on the ground, it's got lots of grip, and it's got plenty of power. It's pretty big inside, too. If the seats weren't rock hard, it'd be comfortable and ride nice too. It's those damned seats!

hueterm
06-16-12, 11:37 AM
I never had a problem w/the seats in the GP GTP. The backs didn't have a lot of bolstering, and were pretty flat. The bottoms were more bolstered, but pretty soft. The lumbar worked reasonably well. And, they were camel -- not tan, not shale, not taupe -- that was a big plus...

cadillac kevin
06-16-12, 12:06 PM
See, that's the thing... The interior is pretty plastic-y and the seats are hard as rock, but other than that it's a cool car. It feels really planted on the ground, it's got lots of grip, and it's got plenty of power. It's pretty big inside, too. If the seats weren't rock hard, it'd be comfortable and ride nice too. It's those damned seats!

So buy new seats and enjoy...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-17-12, 10:10 AM
Like Ryan said, none of the W-Bodies had great interiors in terms of design or build quality, but those seats in the Regal GS.....fantastic! Deep, cushy, comfortable buckets that would not wear down on you over long drives. Too bad they only offered the leather interior in the GS in charcoal or grey, unless you were lucky enough to find a Joe Abboud GS with the beige or beige/brown leather interior.

FWIW, the seats in the GS were way better than the seats in the Marauder. The Marauder's seats are much wider and much firmer than the seats in the GS. That's one thing I'll miss about that GS...

orconn
06-17-12, 01:38 PM
I agree the leather seats in the Regal GS were very nice, now if it hadn't been for the "Craptastic" cup holder that broke about ten times while we had the car, the interior would have been nice for a mid $20,000 sedan.

gdwriter
06-17-12, 01:53 PM
I had an Intrigue as a rental on several occasions, including one with an extended road trip in Iowa and Nebraska. I really liked it, especially the one with the twin cam V6 which was very smooth and had good power. Excellent ride and handling balance, and the interior and dash were classy looking and reasonably well put together. Certainly not cheap like the Lumina nor cheap and tacky like the Grand Prix.