: Grooved/scored brake rotor?

TriTexan
06-11-12, 02:48 AM
I noted today while washing my V that one of the rear rotors has two small grooves scored into it. One is a tad larger than the other. I don't have any pictures yet but it's clearly visible and you can feel it easily with your finger or fingernail. None of the other three rotors have anything like it - their rotor surfaces are smooth and blemish-free. It looks like there's something in the pad, like a hard spot or some contamination (manufactured into the pad, that is - not road contaminants) that is causing this.

The car has just 1,500 miles on it. Is this something others have noticed? If so, does it warrant a trip to the dealer for treatment? I'll see if I can get a picture to post tomorrow when there's more light.

Griffin337
06-11-12, 09:27 AM
I had the same thing. I had the car in for one of the various issues i had. The dealer resurfaced the rotor and replaced the pads. I guess they thought it was odd as well.

M5eater
06-11-12, 09:49 AM
Wow they acutally replaced the pads and resurfaced the rotors for that?

It's fairly common with agressive pads I would think.

baabootoo
06-11-12, 12:12 PM
You might want to double check on resurfacing too. I thought that was the kiss of death as opposed to just replacement.

Tedboss1
06-11-12, 12:56 PM
You might want to double check on resurfacing too. I thought that was the kiss of death as opposed to just replacement.

Have look at my post no.2
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-performance-mods/247356-brakes-warping-rotors-pad-transfer.html#post2799095

Griffin337
06-11-12, 01:12 PM
Yeah I wasnt really happy when i picked it up and they did that.. I will make sure I get new ones before the warranty is up.

M5eater
06-11-12, 01:48 PM
Have look at my post no.2
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post2799095

Common industry practice. There's nothing wrong with resurfacing, espically when they're new like this. I would have been happy they did anything at all to be honest. A 'groove' isn't exactly a failure of any kind, it does not have any impact on braking power, it just didn't look very good. It's sort of like asking them to replace rotors because they will rust evenutally.

Is it better to just replace the rotor instead of resurfacing it? Sure. Just like it's better to replace an entire engine instead of fix it when it starts to run rough. My guess is they told you that because most lathe's are not equipped to accomodate 14.7-15" rotors..