: 3000 mile road trip....and a few comments/questions

neuronbob
06-10-12, 11:11 PM
I completed my yearly 10-day, 3000-mile trip from Ohio to Colorado and back yesterday. After almost 3 1/2 years with my V sedan, I finally decided that we were not going to take the Mommymobile for our trip this year. Trust me when I tell you that after that long with a V, driving a Honda Pilot for that long would be a soul-sucking experience. The longest trip the V had before now was to Toronto two years ago, so this trip was relatively epic.

I drove it with the tranny and the suspension both in Sport mode, and I have the regular seats. I drove 15 hours the first day and was not in the least fatigued or sore. The V is a superb....no, superior, high-speed cross-country conveyance. it remains at high speed (80 mph) for long distances without muss or fuss. Not to mention, it is wonderful to drive in the curves.

Upon our arrival in Colorado, we took a side trip to the Royal Gorge. Driving from Colorado Springs to Cañon City on Colo. 115 was particularly sublime as the car handled sweepers and tight curves alike at "well above" the speed limit of 55. That was the best driving of the trip and I strongly advise your traveling that way if you are in the area.

Mileage was great! Fully loaded trunk, two adults, one 6-year-old, 80 mph cruise control, air conditioning on, mileage was 18.5-19.7. On the way back, I broke 300 miles on a tank for the first time in my over three years with the car. Also on the way home, the last tank prior to getting home, I got 20.7 mpg! Woot! Not bad. I wish I got 300 miles per tank on a regular basis, but with 30-40% city driving that ain't happening.

So here's the negative:

1. I've had a recurrent issue with a DIC warning "Service Suspension System". I've been to the dealer twice for this and there's been no solution. This appeared several times on the trip, without any symptoms and any codes. At this point, I simply erase the message when it appears.

2. Intermittently bad vibrations both while driving and upon braking. Given the vibration on braking, I assume the primary issue is deposits on the rotors, and that they will require replacing. A question to the group: how long should I expect rotors to last on this car? The car has been to the dragstrip twice in my ownership, and the last time was in 2010; the car is not abused in any way. On my other cars I've gone as far as 60k miles to the end of ownership and have not had any rotor issues. While Lindsay Cadillac is offering the 2-piece rotors for a great price, I hate the idea of having to shell out almost $700 + install for rotors every 35k miles that I wasn't expecting to have to pay.

3. I used Mapquest to send directions to the car. However, the driving instructions ended up in the DIC rather than the nav system, and now every time I start the car, I get random Onstar messages. Sometimes, it's a question, "I couldn't hear that command, could you repeat?". Sometimes, it's a request to complete the directions previously given, with a prompt to "cancel route".....only when I say "cancel route", it doesn't understand me. I speak standard English, clearly, without an accent, and generally have had no trouble with voice commands before. I tried resetting OnStar by pulling the OnStar fuse in the battery compartment, to no avail. Any ideas? Is this operator error? Has this happened to anyone else?

On balance, driving this car on this long road trip was enjoyable. However, if electrical gremlins or other issues continue to creep up, I don't think I'll be keeping this car after the warranty is up in 10k miles (I'll be turning over 40k in the morning on the way to work), and given the continuing quality issues written by others with newer Vs I don't know if I'll get another V. I'm so disappointed because up until 35k miles I had almost no issues at all, then all this (front bearings replaced, dealer messed up valve stems on tire swap, requiring repair of my aftermarket wheels at a wheel facility, and they are still not 100% right, then what is described above).

baabootoo
06-10-12, 11:52 PM
Nice write up. The rotor thing is up in the air I guess. I believe if they turn them, they're done. Mine are still great at 27K, but I use ceramic pads 9 months out of the year. Not sure about the Mapquest, since I don't use it. Ever consider the extended warranty?

neuronbob
06-11-12, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the comment. I agree that if the rotors have to be turned, they are done. I don't see the point of spending money to turn the rotors if the ultimate solution is replacement. I plan on the new 2-piece rotors that also supposedly get rid of the wheel clicking.

I have considered the extended warranty. My issue is spending time going to the dealer when I work 12+ hours a day, and with my mileage I will have to spend a minimum of $2k on GMPP. I have only 10k (6-8 months of my driving) to decide what to do about that. That largely depends on what the dealer says about my now two electrical gremlins. Hopefully, my disappointment will soon turn to joy when the car is back to new condition, but I've had to visit the dealer once a month since March. Man, I hope they aren't getting tired of me, and I hope my post doesn't seem excessively whiny. I really want to get to 100k in this very enjoyable car and I need people to slap me when I mention not keeping the car. *slap* I just slapped myself.

Thunder Gray STS
06-11-12, 01:32 AM
I just finished a 4500 mile trip in mine. No issues at all other than the Nav system trying to take me on a longer trip home. I also averaged 20.7 mpg, which I thought was great. I have the standard seats like you, and no issues at all with fatigue. I did notice the engine is much more quiet now, not sure why. Almost no noise while sitting next to a wall at the drive through. My car had exactly 8500 miles on it at the beginning of the trip. The car seemed to get better mileage at 80-85 than 70-75, which I thought was odd. It used virtually no oil either. Unfortunately, I did get a ticket in Texas 85 in a 75, oh well.

neuronbob
06-11-12, 12:23 PM
^^^
LOL, I got no tickets this time, but for the sake of mileage I kept my speed to 80, which other than in Illinois and Ohio (65 mph speed limit, c'mon now guys!) wouldn't get me in serious trouble.

Any answers to my question about OnStar? That is absolutely driving me NUTS.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-11-12, 03:50 PM
Welcome back! neuronbob, your feedback is, as always, much appreciated! Thanks for the post.

Just to confirm, you're planning to take your V to the dealer for diagnosis on your concerns, correct? I checked the resources at my disposal regarding your OnStar query, and I haven't found any solutions as of yet. When you used Mapquest, did you click on the “Send to OnStar” link to forward it to your V to be stored? Once that was done, you should have been able to press the phone button, ask for “Virtual Advisor” and follow the prompts to call out that destination. Then, Turn-by-Turn directions should have guided you from there.

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

neuronbob
06-11-12, 04:24 PM
Yes to all queries. Since I need the front rotors replaced anyway, I will insist on having the electronic issues chased down. I've sent information from MapQuest to my car via OnStar multiple times before and this is the first time I've had any trouble with it.

smackdownCTSV
06-11-12, 04:28 PM
The wheel click TSB has been revised to include rotors.

M5eater
06-11-12, 04:32 PM
You know.. I do still have my old rotors..

flatrockguy
06-11-12, 05:03 PM
At work today, I was looking at the latest TSB's and I remember seeing one for the "Service Suspension System". I will find it tomorrow and post it for you...

smackdownCTSV
06-11-12, 06:06 PM
You know.. I do still have my old rotors..

Take advantage of getting a free set of $1300 rotors. Think of it as getting some of the money back that we gave GM in the bailout.

smackdownCTSV
06-11-12, 06:07 PM
At work today, I was looking at the latest TSB's and I remember seeing one for the "Service Suspension System". I will find it tomorrow and post it for you...

Nice. I wonder if it's the yaw rate sensor.

flatrockguy
06-11-12, 06:29 PM
I think it had something to do with bad connectors that were sending intermitted false signals.

neuronbob
06-11-12, 06:52 PM

Yeah, but don't you actually have to have the clicking to get the rotors? Not up to fibbing to the dealer just to get free rotors ;) , especially since it can be easily verified that the clicking exists.

I think it had something to do with bad connectors that were sending intermitted false signals.

Thank you, I would appreciate any info you can provide so I can take it to the dealer.

I am planning on a three other road trips this summer, all but one shorter, but this is the car to do them in. :)

smackdownCTSV
06-11-12, 07:26 PM
Yeah, but don't you actually have to have the clicking to get the rotors? Not up to fibbing to the dealer just to get free rotors ;) , especially since it can be easily verified that the clicking exists.

Think of it as GM giving back from the bailout. ;)

flatrockguy
06-12-12, 05:07 PM
Here is the TSB for the "Service Suspension System" error

#PIC5660: Service Suspension Message No DTCs - (Apr 18, 2012)
Subject:
Service Suspension Message No DTC's

Models: 2009 - 2012 Cadillac CTS-V
With Electronic Suspension

Condition/Concern:

A customer may comment on a "SERVICE SUSPENSION" message on the DIC.

Recommendation/Instructions:

After further diagnostics it may be found that there are no DTCs in the Electronic Suspension Module, yet they still have a message on the DIC.
Reports from the field have indicated that there may be a connection issue at one of the shock connections causing the "SERVICE SUSPENSION" message to come on with no DTCs set.
Please make sure the connectors at the shock are seated properly.

Note: A diagnostic hint may be to use the Tech 2 and go into "Special Functions" to command the shock solenoids, if this test does not complete please make sure the connectors at the shocks are seated properly.

neuronbob
06-12-12, 08:36 PM
THANK YOU. I am printing your post now and will take it to the dealer when I have the new rotors installed next week.

Now I just need to figure out the OnStar thing.