: Two wheel studs broken on rear wheel, 2nd time now....

dixit
06-10-12, 10:52 PM
So, this exact same thing happened to me 8months ago. Two wheel studs on the rear drivers side, both studs next to each other. I found this out cause one day driving home, some guy next to me made me roll down my window and told me my wheel was wobbling while i was driving. So once I got home (1mi later) I took the center cap off my KMC wheels and out falls two wheel studs, both next to each other (worst way). Wouldve been a little safer if they were opposite sides. So got 6 new studs from Napa (few spares front and rear) and replaced the old broken ones.

Then comes today, I go to drive my escalade, put my kids in the car, and I notice from the corner of my eye the passenger side wheel cap on my KMC wheels didnt seem like it was on all the way. So I go to pull it off, and baam, out pops two studs, broken. Same thing, both next to each other. This time passenger side rear wheel. So we dont drive it and use my Genesis to go out for awhile, then came back home and I tackled the Escalade fix. Remember those spares studs I bought earlier 8mo ago :) (boy was that a smart move since I need to use this car in the morning). So I replaced these two in about 30mins.

But while doing this, I think I know why these are breaking. Im about 95% confident its these damn rotor holding clips that are on two of the 6 wheel studs. These clips are spring loaded clips that go on the wheel stud and touch all the way to the rotor face to hold it down. This clearly causes the wheel to sit that much off the actual rotor face. And the back of my KMC wheel clearly doesnt have indentations to clear these rotor clips. Cant remember if the stock 22" wheels had a recess for these or not. So I basically removed them and dont intend on putting it back, its really not needed anyways since the caliper is holding the rotor in place anyways. So I suggest anyone else who has aftermarket wheels, remove these clips, otherwise the wheel is not going to sit perfectly flat against the rotor face, and most likely Im sure that is whats causing angled stress on the lugs and snapped them over time.

I put some pictures up of what Im talking about and my 2 broken wheel studs.

Dixit

Here is the damn rotor holding clip Im talking about

Here is the two I just replaced

Here is the back of my KMC wheel which you can see is flat, probably just like 99% of all other wheels.

And finally here is my two broken studs

quattrotman
06-11-12, 03:01 AM
Weird...and a bit scary. That could have ended badly. I think you are right on with your diagnosis though. If the wheel is even just a tiny bit off it will cause problems. I have never seen those clips before though. They look pointless though. No need for anythign to hold the rotor on, once the wheels are bolted on, that rotor is locked in place.

hcvone
06-11-12, 08:33 AM
I manufacturer wheels, the two spring clips (they hold things together at assy at the factory) fit into the recess (counterbore) on the backside of the stock wheels, and the wheels we make, we see some overseas wheels that cut corners that do not do this, but any good installer should check for any rocking because the wheel is not sitting flat. Personally I take the spring clips off the first time I get the truck on a lift because I have to get the stock tires and wheels road forced balanced because the factory does such a poor job, so it's one of the first things I do.

hcvone
06-11-12, 08:36 AM
Yea I just saw the wheels pics, they didn't come up until I posted, it's tough to counterbore the wheel stud holes when there are too many holes

dixit
06-11-12, 02:39 PM
quattrotman

Weird...and a bit scary. That could have ended badly. I think you are right on with your diagnosis though. If the wheel is even just a tiny bit off it will cause problems. I have never seen those clips before though. They look pointless though. No need for anythign to hold the rotor on, once the wheels are bolted on, that rotor is locked in place.

They are pointless, They are used at the factory during assembly process to hold the rotor down. Once the caliper is mounted and on, the rotor cant go anywhere anyways, most other cars dont have these clips. Some imports use small flat flush screws to hold the rotors down (like Hondas and Acuras).

hcvone

I manufacturer wheels, the two spring clips (they hold things together at assy at the factory) fit into the recess (counterbore) on the backside of the stock wheels, and the wheels we make, we see some overseas wheels that cut corners that do not do this, but any good installer should check for any rocking because the wheel is not sitting flat. Personally I take the spring clips off the first time I get the truck on a lift because I have to get the stock tires and wheels road forced balanced because the factory does such a poor job, so it's one of the first things I do.

Yeap I agree on that, but these are not some cheap aftermarket overseas wheels, they are KMC wheels. They dont seem to offer it in a single bolt pattern for the Escalade (well that is what I was told) and they were ordered with this dual bolt pattern.

These clips are now off on both rear wheels so I think I should be good for now. I think its somewhat of a poor design, it wouldve been better to just use flush mount screws like what Honda and Acuras do. Or just dont use them at all like most other cars do. But again im sure they have a process/workflow at the assembly plant and I bet these rotors are mounted on the hub first, the clips hold them in place, then later on down the line the caliper probably goes on. Could be fixed by fixing the workflow of just mounting the rotor and caliper at once, although it becomes a two to three handed job at the assembly since someone has to hold the rotor own while the caliper is mounted. So I can see why they did this, although I dont agree with it since I like said be easier to just use flush mount screws.

Oh well, its fixed now and hopefully dont have this issue again.

Dixit

hcvone
06-11-12, 03:31 PM
They are pointless, They are used at the factory during assembly process to hold the rotor down. Once the caliper is mounted and on, the rotor cant go anywhere anyways, most other cars dont have these clips. Some imports use small flat flush screws to hold the rotors down (like Hondas and Acuras).

Yeap I agree on that, but these are not some cheap aftermarket overseas wheels, they are KMC wheels. They dont seem to offer it in a single bolt pattern for the Escalade (well that is what I was told) and they were ordered with this dual bolt pattern.

These clips are now off on both rear wheels so I think I should be good for now. I think its somewhat of a poor design, it wouldve been better to just use flush mount screws like what Honda and Acuras do. Or just dont use them at all like most other cars do. But again im sure they have a process/workflow at the assembly plant and I bet these rotors are mounted on the hub first, the clips hold them in place, then later on down the line the caliper probably goes on. Could be fixed by fixing the workflow of just mounting the rotor and caliper at once, although it becomes a two to three handed job at the assembly since someone has to hold the rotor own while the caliper is mounted. So I can see why they did this, although I dont agree with it since I like said be easier to just use flush mount screws.

Oh well, its fixed now and hopefully dont have this issue again.

Dixit

They have been using these clips on both drums and discs since I can remember, and I am OLD. Whenever putting wheels on you have to make sure they are sitting flat, and then torqued to the proper specs, that is why I have NEVER allowed anyone to put a wheel on my car or truck without being there to see and check it, or course I am beyond anal, and because of how and where I drive I do not want to have to worry about if someone did or did not put something on correctly. It's good it did not cause an accident

dixit
06-11-12, 05:15 PM
They have been using these clips on both drums and discs since I can remember, and I am OLD. Whenever putting wheels on you have to make sure they are sitting flat, and then torqued to the proper specs, that is why I have NEVER allowed anyone to put a wheel on my car or truck without being there to see and check it, or course I am beyond anal, and because of how and where I drive I do not want to have to worry about if someone did or did not put something on correctly. It's good it did not cause an accident

Tell me about it on the accident part, I got lucky twice man.........

Normally I do all my own work like I have on my Z06, S600, Escalade, but this one the wheels were ordered here locally and they decided to throw them on, I made sure they put the hubcentric rings and thats all I was invovled with. This is my first Escalade/GM so I didnt know they been putting these clips on for a long time.

No doubt from now on on my next Escalade or other GM, Im making sure these clips are removed if the wheel doesnt have the recess drilled in.

Dixit

BEarle
06-11-12, 06:20 PM
You know that's funny because I remember years ago when I was putting rims on my car and the rim place cut those clips off and I asked why he was doing it and he told me the exact same thing your saying.......