: Reduced engine power @ 700 mi

TXAG2004
06-10-12, 09:26 PM
I've had my 2012 Vagon (6M) for 4 weeks and 700 miles. No mods, and nothing over 4K rpm yet (also not a DD). Got in today after church and it idled like crap. Started it 2 more times with the same reduced engine power message. Waited 10 min, tried again, seemed to be ok on the drive home but now I have a check engine light. Briefly searched the forum and most similar issues seemed to be related to tunes/mods. Guess I'll be taking it in. Anyone seen anything like this or know of previous related threads?

baabootoo
06-11-12, 12:01 AM
I saw that after a wire issue myself.

GM-4-LIFE
06-11-12, 03:42 AM
Could be MAF related. They will probably replace your MAF.

hulksdaddy
06-11-12, 10:53 AM
I've had my 2012 Vagon (6M) for 4 weeks and 700 miles. No mods, and nothing over 4K rpm yet (also not a DD). Got in today after church and it idled like crap. Started it 2 more times with the same reduced engine power message. Waited 10 min, tried again, seemed to be ok on the drive home but now I have a check engine light. Briefly searched the forum and most similar issues seemed to be related to tunes/mods. Guess I'll be taking it in. Anyone seen anything like this or know of previous related threads?

Did you contact Onstar? If so, what were the codes?

cvs
06-11-12, 01:08 PM
I saw that after a wire issue myself.

Same here. Turned out to be the wiring harness from the accelerator pedal sensor to the ECU.

hulksdaddy
06-11-12, 01:19 PM
Same here. Turned out to be the wiring harness from the accelerator pedal sensor to the ECU.

Ditto. Musta been a bad batch.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-11-12, 01:51 PM
TXAG2004, I'm sorry you experienced this! Glad to see forum members stepping up to help this weekend. A trip to the dealer for a proper diagnosis would indeed be your best next step, although I can understand if you prefer DIY methods, and I'm also happy to assist in the meantime if you have questions! Email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com and I can check my resources on your behalf. If you send me the last eight of your VIN, for instance, I can research to see if there are any open recalls on your V that relate to reduced engine power.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Satin69
06-11-12, 04:11 PM
Same here. Pedal at 800miles on a MT coupe. Fixed it without question.

TXAG2004
06-13-12, 11:58 AM
Thanks all for the replies. I didn't even consider that-not used to having that yet. Called and got a P0606 code. Taking it in Saturday. They dont stock wiring harnesses. So hopefully I dont have to wait 3-5 more days for one. We'll see.

curvedinfinity
06-15-12, 09:51 AM
My V is in the shop for an accelerator wiring issue as well. They replaced the pedal earlier this week which did not solve the issue. Same characteristics... Driving along and it goes into limp mode. P2138 is my code. '11 coupe

Satin69
06-15-12, 02:53 PM
My V is in the shop for an accelerator wiring issue as well. They replaced the pedal earlier this week which did not solve the issue. Same characteristics... Driving along and it goes into limp mode. P2138 is my code. '11 coupe

Same exact thing on a 12 coupe. They did the pedal and plug. Said is was something to do with the ride sensor that causes this when going from Touring to Sport modes.. Didnt really make sense to me but it has not given me anymore issues.

curvedinfinity
06-15-12, 07:41 PM

Followup -- just got my V back with a seemingly successful fix. All they did was add dielectric grease to the X104 plug on the engine bay side of the instrument panel wiring harness. Worked like a charm. I think what was happening was heat expansion was allowing vibration in the plug's connection. After driving it today it seems like its fixed.

JOEYCTS-V
06-16-12, 12:11 AM
Where exactly is this X04 plug? Can you take a pic?

curvedinfinity
06-16-12, 10:30 AM
Labeled 1 in this diagram
http://i.imgur.com/GMCc7.jpg
Looking around I think its the big plug in this picture.
http://i.imgur.com/KaXzn.jpg

curvedinfinity
06-16-12, 11:00 AM
I found this while poking around. Maybe it had something to do with it. http://i.imgur.com/c17uG.jpg

TXAG2004
06-16-12, 12:03 PM
Update: after scratching their heads for a bit, (I insisted on hanging out in the shop) they "reprogrammed the fuel pump control module". That didnt help so they think it is the entire fuel pump assembly. I was hoping for a more simple diagnosis. Parts on order. Taking her in Wed.

RippyPartsDept
06-16-12, 01:38 PM
yeah, i looked at that code (P0606) and it has to do with the fuel pump module (internal performance)

either something's wrong with the module or a wiring issue is causing it to act like it's got a problem

hulksdaddy
06-16-12, 02:19 PM
yeah, i looked at that code (P0606) and it has to do with the fuel pump module (internal performance)

either something's wrong with the module or a wiring issue is causing it to act like it's got a problem

M guess.

hulksdaddy
06-21-12, 04:10 PM
update?

TXAG2004
06-21-12, 05:10 PM
Had to run out of town (unfortunately not in my V). Will take it in for their fuel pump assy replacement early next week with fingers crossed.

SoCalCTSV
06-29-12, 08:22 PM

Got an oils change this morning and as I drive out, I get the code. Thanks to this post, I directed my dealer to the issue. Unfortunate NO ONE stocks these. So I have a v6 CTS for the time being,

Had to cancel my B&B Catback install.

TXAG2004
06-30-12, 12:37 PM
Update: fuel pump assembly replaced this morning. Fingers crossed that its fixed...

hulksdaddy
06-30-12, 04:15 PM
Update: fuel pump assembly replaced this morning. Fingers crossed that its fixed...

Good luck!

SoCalCTSV
07-02-12, 03:03 PM
Mine was a P2138- Accelerator Pedal Position sensor fault that requires a throttle assembly.

RippyPartsDept
07-02-12, 04:07 PM
the APP is part of the pedal assembly ... you meant to say pedal assembly, right?

SoCalCTSV
07-06-12, 12:39 PM
the APP is part of the pedal assembly ... you meant to say pedal assembly, right?

It was a direct quote from my service writer. 1 week and still looking for a part. Part manager says part is back ordered. On the positive, savings miles on my ride. On the negative, I want my car back. This 3.6CTS is starting to wear thin on me.

RippyPartsDept
07-06-12, 01:21 PM
hmm well i'm not a service guy so i'll take their word for it ...

i just assumed it would be the pedal since we've replaced a bunch of pedals

SoCalCTSV
07-10-12, 12:25 AM
Got an oils change this morning and as I drive out, I get the code. Thanks to this post, I directed my dealer to the issue. Unfortunate NO ONE stocks these. So I have a v6 CTS for the time being,

Had to cancel my B&B Catback install.

June 29 - got the code
July 20 - part to dealer eta

This is ridiculous.

visualguy
07-10-12, 01:23 AM
June 29 - got the code
July 20 - part to dealer eta

This is ridiculous.

Indeed... I still own a Japan-made 1999 Nissan Maxima, a model which has been out of production for over 13 years now. My Nissan dealer still gets all the parts my car needs within two days... The only exception in 13 years was a replacement clutch which took 4 days.

Two things I always hoped for with a US-made car is that it would be easy to find competent mechanics, and that it would be easy to get parts if you're in the US.

SoCalCTSV
07-10-12, 01:37 PM
Indeed... I still own a Japan-made 1999 Nissan Maxima, a model which has been out of production for over 13 years now. My Nissan dealer still gets all the parts my car needs within two days... The only exception in 13 years was a replacement clutch which took 4 days.

Two things I always hoped for with a US-made car is that it would be easy to find competent mechanics, and that it would be easy to get parts if you're in the US.

I got the trunk weatherstripping for my 66 Chevelle in 2 days from Amazon.

TXAG2004
07-15-12, 06:02 PM
Update: 300 miles later I have the same p0606 reduced engine power fault code. This time it wouldnt even crank before it eventually did under this error. Back to the dealer I go.

hulksdaddy
07-15-12, 10:17 PM
a wiring issue is causing it to act like it's got a problem

Update: 300 miles later I have the same p0606 reduced engine power fault code. This time it wouldnt even crank before it eventually did under this error. Back to the dealer I go.

:thumbsup:

SoCalCTSV
07-16-12, 01:56 AM
Mine was a P2138- Accelerator Pedal Position sensor fault that requires a throttle assembly.

Just got mine back earlier this week. Dealer delivered early. Crossing my fingers that was it.

Our codes are different. Dealer said entire pedal assembly needed replacing.

RippyPartsDept
07-16-12, 02:38 PM
i'm a bit confused... you quoted yourself ... and i thought you said the throttle body needed to be replaced and was on backorder

as i said before, the pedal is more common, but from reading about that code it could be the throttle body since that code means the pedal and the throttle body are not both reading the same throttle position

either way, glad you got it fixed

ingram4868
07-16-12, 07:55 PM
Faulty parts? I wonder where they are made?

SoCalCTSV
07-17-12, 01:14 AM
i'm a bit confused... you quoted yourself ... and i thought you said the throttle body needed to be replaced and was on backorder

as i said before, the pedal is more common, but from reading about that code it could be the throttle body since that code means the pedal and the throttle body are not both reading the same throttle position

either way, glad you got it fixed

I quoted myself so everyone can see what cods my car had. Dealer got parts in the day I posted the update but was out of town.

RippyPartsDept
07-17-12, 10:45 AM
ah ok... but i thought you said they were replacing the throttle body? (per our discussion in posts #24-#27)

TXAG2004
07-19-12, 03:18 PM
Bump for Xaqtly

TXAG2004
08-21-12, 05:41 PM
Update: 1500 miles. Dealership replacing diff, new 2 pc rotors up front and a new ecm. Hopefully that addresses everything. Waiting on parts now.

Xaqtly
08-21-12, 06:24 PM
Yeah the diff is the one "usual suspect" that my dealer has not replaced for me yet. They replaced the driveshaft once and the pedal assembly twice, but not the diff. First trip to the dealer I had them check the fluid and they said it was fine but obviously I have no idea if the lsd additive was put in at any time or not.

Were you having diff whine at all, is that why they're replacing the diff? Or for a different reason? I'm also curious to see if a new ECM eliminates your throttle position error.

TXAG2004
08-21-12, 07:24 PM
Yeah diff whine was pretty bad (very loud - even my wife noticed it as an abnormal sound) all of the sudden about 50 miles ago. I had the appointment already for the wheel click and the low power mode so I added it to the list.

V locity
08-21-12, 11:48 PM
Update: 1500 miles. Dealership replacing diff, new 2 pc rotors up front and a new ecm. Hopefully that addresses everything. Waiting on parts now.

When do you think it will be going in?

TXAG2004
08-22-12, 08:55 AM
Theyre starting on it today. Not sure when the diff will arrive though.

TXAG2004
08-25-12, 01:24 PM
No more diff whine, no more clicking. Hopefully it stays that way. Time will tell on the new ecm too. Man that CTS loaner was slow and boat like.

SoCalCTSV
12-11-12, 11:39 PM
Mine went in for the THIRD time for this pedal assembly code issue. I'm getting pretty ****ing tired of this bullshit. My service writer has no issues simply saying its the same problem once again without a single god damned curiosity why. I told him each of the here times it happened, the car was washed minutes earlier. BUT he doesn't think it's related.

shockwaveMGH
12-13-12, 10:49 AM

Had the same issue after about 1300 miles. Brought it in for service and was told it was a corroded connector. They cleaned it and it has been fine so far and now have 8k miles.

SoCalCTSV
12-13-12, 11:43 AM
I got the car back yesterday and they are either reading this thread or the tech guys are sharing data on the procedure. They acknowledged that the connector is indeed exposed so they treated the new connector with the dielectric grease and sent me on my way. They were pretty honest about not being certain if that will resolve it permanently. Considering its happened three times since June, I am a little paranoid. I suppose I'll get comfortable again then it will resurface at the most I convenient time and unsafe location. I nearly missed a wedding the last time.

TXAG2004
12-14-12, 10:55 AM
SoCal, got your PM. I have not had any issues since my last post, however, the issues I did previously see were issues immediately after washes (the next day). I also have never driven mine in the rain as it only comes out on sunny weekends. Since then, I've turned my hose down to a light sprinkle when washing. Not sure what the cause was or if it was patched or fixed or merely avoided but I've seen no issues (knock on wood). Good luck with yours and keep us posted.

SoCalCTSV
12-27-12, 04:48 PM
SoCal, got your PM. I have not had any issues since my last post, however, the issues I did previously see were issues immediately after washes (the next day). I also have never driven mine in the rain as it only comes out on sunny weekends. Since then, I've turned my hose down to a light sprinkle when washing. Not sure what the cause was or if it was patched or fixed or merely avoided but I've seen no issues (knock on wood). Good luck with yours and keep us posted.

Thanks for the reply. I'm kind of irritated at the general approach to this. I've had my car back for a while but have hardly driven it as it has been raining. I filled out a service survey and gave my dealer great marks but noted that I felt this issue has not been resolved. I get a call from GM from the survey and I outline what's happened. Their response? Next time it happens take it to the dealer. Well. Wow. Thank you. Here I was ready to call Pep Boys or AutoZone after the next breakdown.

Has it happened again? No. Have I washed the car? No. Driven in rain? No. Have I had the time to do either of the above and allow for a 2 -3 hour tow and cancellation of whatever the rest of my days plans are! No.

My dealer has been very nice. I just don't get the robotic nature of diagnosing these things. They simply would have connected the new assembly to the ECU if I hadn't begged them to look further into it. Then the service writer didn't really even know what they did. He simply said they were going to do something to the exposed connector. I was excited at the thought they may have done some sort of rubber shrink sleeve but when I picked up the car, he said hey just did the grease thing on the ECU. Gee, they must have been watching episodes of Top Gear or A Car Too Far.

I also find it amusing that some GM/Caddy reps cruise this boards chiming in on new posts but is there really follow through? I guess I'm just venting. Car is fine right now and although dealer says they washed it right after they did the last fix, did they really? I suppose I should get out and wash it and make sure I have no plans so I can prepare for a possible breakdown.

TXAG2004
12-29-12, 10:48 AM
Figure out what they greased up and take a picture of it. I'll locate it in mine and fab a couple alum covers for them if there is room for that and perhaps we can just seal it off.

SoCalCTSV
12-29-12, 02:49 PM
Figure out what they greased up and take a picture of it. I'll locate it in mine and fab a couple alum covers for them if there is room for that and perhaps we can just seal it off.

Good idea.