: I'm on the way to Florida!

77CDV
06-10-12, 03:15 AM
Heading out to Florida for the Cadillac & LaSalle Club's Grand National Meet. Set out this morning about a quarter past six, following I 10 from Pacific to Atlantic (and back, of course). You'll have to wait for pics, though, as it seems my camera card is incompatible with my computer (and the old-fashioned cord isn't compatible, either). :(

Still, looking forward to the show. In Tucson, AZ, tonight. Tomorrow, El Paso, TX (or a little beyond).

brandondeleo
06-10-12, 04:25 AM
My dad lives in Tucson.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-10-12, 08:47 AM
Which car are you driving, Craig?

The-Dullahan
06-10-12, 09:00 AM
Rebecca!

orconn
06-10-12, 03:11 PM
I envy you this trip, although the Sonoran desert of Arizona and the "too" wide open spaces of Texas are not high on my list of places I would like to drive through. I am totally unfamiliar with the "Deep South" so that would be interesting.

Am looking forward to reading about your trip and seeing those pictures that you can manage.

Submariner409
06-10-12, 03:52 PM
Keep a weather eye for State Troopers once at the Florida border and further East.......

Driving: "The sun is riz an' the sun is set - here we is, in Texas yet............"

Faded Crest
06-10-12, 08:22 PM
I envy you very much Craig. I would have been tempted to fly out just to drive back with you! :D

I-10 across LA is horrible... Roads are awful and the cops will pull you over for nothing, so be careful along that stretch.

hueterm
06-10-12, 09:01 PM
Are you in the '77 or the '69?

CadillacLuke24
06-10-12, 09:11 PM
I'm going to guess Rebecca, the Beautiful Cadillac that generated his handle. Right? ;)

talismandave
06-10-12, 09:28 PM
I envy you very much Craig. I would have been tempted to fly out just to drive back with you! :D
Now that is a really great idea I never would have thought of! Someone to share gas and driving that would be awesome. Next year a few months before someone should start a "car pool" thread.:thumbsup:

talismandave
06-10-12, 09:29 PM
And yes he's in Rebecca.

Faded Crest
06-10-12, 09:35 PM
Now that is a really great idea I never would have thought of! Someone to share gas and driving that would be awesome. Next year a few months before someone should start a "car pool" thread.:thumbsup:

Actually I was thinking more about being a stowaway mooch. :hide:

talismandave
06-10-12, 09:42 PM
Actually I was thinking more about being a stowaway mooch. :hide::rofl:

77CDV
06-10-12, 10:12 PM
Well, I made it to El Paso. Talk about there being no "there" there! I wasn't expecting much, but it's really spread out and no evidence of any building taller than 3 stories. Got a very late start this morning (11am!), as I was reluctant to leave Tucson and my friends there (have I mentioned I LOVE AZ?). Gotta scoot early tomorrow to make San Antonio. I really should break it up into two days, but there doesn't seem to be much of anything between El Paso and San Antone. However, I do have a spare day heading out, so I can break it up if needs be.

Rebecca is performing flawlessly. AC keeping things comfy despite the 100* temps. Cruise control saving me from myself. :lol: I'm very happy to have satellite radio. OK, so it's running through a cassette adapter hooked into an 8 track adapter playing through the car's original stereo. Not flawless sound quality, but good enough, and I don't have to chop up the car to do it. :) Mileage has been about 12.5mpg, which is not unexpected given that the AC is always on, I've been driving up and down hills (it ain't flat out here!), and I've been contending with cross and headwinds since before Palm Springs. Good news is gas is way under $4/gal (outside CA, of course), so things are going according to plan so far.

Off to traverse the Republic of Texas!

talismandave
06-10-12, 10:37 PM
Let me check the list,
A/C was on...
I was driving up hill...
There was a cross wind...
There was a head wind...
Yeah I think you have covered all the mileage excuses us Big Caddy owners are required to know. :)
Well done! All in one sentence. Go to the head of the class.:highfive:
Have fun and thanks for thinking of us.

CadillacLuke24
06-10-12, 11:31 PM
head wind, crosswind, V8, AC on, climbing a hill, Slab sides, lot of car to move around......

Granted, I don't have it as bad, but they're good to have :D

Have fun Craig! Enjoy your trip (sounds like you are) :D

CadillacLuke24
06-10-12, 11:32 PM
Double post. Stupid computer.

Still, have fun :D

77CDV
06-11-12, 12:12 AM
And having checked the weather ahead, it looks like stormy sailing once I get out of TX. Huge t storms predicted for the balance of the week throughout the southeast. 90 degrees and 90% humidity. Ick! :annoyed:

Faded Crest
06-11-12, 01:32 AM
And having checked the weather ahead, it looks like stormy sailing once I get out of TX. Huge t storms predicted for the balance of the week throughout the southeast. 90 degrees and 90% humidity. Ick! :annoyed:

Welcome to my world... :(

Actually it's been pretty cool for this time of the year so far. We even had a day in the 70's last week. Fat chance of that in Florida. But wouldn't you know it, the hottest day so far this year was the day I went to get that seat track for you. :doh:

hueterm
06-11-12, 01:37 AM
Watch out for hail, crazy drivers, and thieves...

Oh, and have a good time ;-)

CadillacLuke24
06-11-12, 01:51 AM
AVOID HAIL AT ALL COSTS.

Relax and have fun! :lol:

brandondeleo
06-11-12, 04:14 AM
Humidity... Disgusting.

truckinman
06-11-12, 11:05 AM
I font mind going there on vacation. But I won't move down there. My fiancÚ really wants to move to Miami. It almost broke us up bc she really wanted to move down there and I said I wouldn't do it. Lol.

Faded Crest
06-11-12, 01:21 PM
Miami? :thehand:

I like Florida, but it sure is very crowded. The only area I would consider would be Lakeland/Winter Haven.

thebigjimsho
06-11-12, 02:27 PM
Keep a weather eye for State Troopers once at the Florida border and further East.......

Driving: "The sun is riz an' the sun is set - here we is, in Texas yet............"Exactly what I was going to say! They'll claim they get nervous since I-10 is a "drug route" from CA to FL and will ask to search your car. It will then get torn apart, you'll get your trumped up speeding ticket, and they'll leave you with a smile(on their faces) as you try to put your car back together.

Don't be nice. Make them get a warrant.

thebigjimsho
06-11-12, 02:33 PM
Well, I made it to El Paso. Talk about there being no "there" there! I wasn't expecting much, but it's really spread out and no evidence of any building taller than 3 stories. Got a very late start this morning (11am!), as I was reluctant to leave Tucson and my friends there (have I mentioned I LOVE AZ?). Gotta scoot early tomorrow to make San Antonio. I really should break it up into two days, but there doesn't seem to be much of anything between El Paso and San Antone. However, I do have a spare day heading out, so I can break it up if needs be.

Rebecca is performing flawlessly. AC keeping things comfy despite the 100* temps. Cruise control saving me from myself. :lol: I'm very happy to have satellite radio. OK, so it's running through a cassette adapter hooked into an 8 track adapter playing through the car's original stereo. Not flawless sound quality, but good enough, and I don't have to chop up the car to do it. :) Mileage has been about 12.5mpg, which is not unexpected given that the AC is always on, I've been driving up and down hills (it ain't flat out here!), and I've been contending with cross and headwinds since before Palm Springs. Good news is gas is way under $4/gal (outside CA, of course), so things are going according to plan so far.

Off to traverse the Republic of Texas!Once you leave El Paso, you will not see a home with a foundation until you get about 45 minutes outside San Antonio.

My brother and I drove LA to Miami, non-stop. Left on a Monday night at about 10PM EST. Got to Las Cruces, NM by sunrise. Shortly thereafter, we went through El Paso. Hit San Antonio by about 3-4PM on Tuesday and caught an Astros game in Houston at about 7PM. Drove through the night, hit New Orleans in the early morning and was in Miami by 4PM, Wednesday.

tinman
06-11-12, 03:57 PM
I usually don't read this area of the Forum, but I was going to post about the Grand National Tour. I am really looking forward to seeing all the cars. In addition, I understand the Crovette Club is having a show on Saturday as well.

77CDV
06-11-12, 07:02 PM
This afternoon finds me in Kerrville, TX, about an hour west of San Antonio. Why Kerrville, you may ask? Well, I'm afraid the sustained high-speed driving in the heat, coupled with the high ethanol content in the gas, has given poor Rebecca a case of incipient vapor lock. Fortunately, Kerrville is a reasonable sized place (~22,000 people), so finding a place to pickup chemicals to correct the problem was easy. Now I'm letting things cool down a bit before resuming travel. Note to self, install electric fuel pump on return to CA.

Another minor annoyance, but the AC seems to have lost it's charge. Not a huge deal at the moment, but I'll have to attend to it rather sooner than later. I guess Mondays are Mondays, wether you're on vacation or not. :lol:

Faded Crest
06-11-12, 07:05 PM
I feel for you. I couldn't imagine dealing with that heat with no a/c. Hope it's a simple thing.

tinman
06-11-12, 07:08 PM
You are definitely going to need that a/c this weekend. The humidity is a killer.

hueterm
06-11-12, 07:16 PM
Don't you have a DTS? ;-/

exterminate
06-11-12, 08:15 PM
I'm from Florida but rarely get the chance to go back. Have fun!

truckinman
06-11-12, 08:15 PM
I was in Brownsville TX in the semi, July, bout 110 degrees. My AC foes out. Lol. No where to fix it and my bastard of a company wouldn't pay to put me in a hotel even tho I was taking my 34 hr break down there. And since my fiancÚ was with me, no way was I gonna make her suffer, so I paid for two nights in a hotel outa my own pockets bc their flippin AC unit went out. I was spitting nails that night....in my air conditioned hotel room.

The-Dullahan
06-11-12, 09:52 PM
^Why I supply my own truck.

Actually I was thinking more about being a stowaway mooch. :hide:

No that was the last meet. When Sting took my Hearse for s spin and Matt hung out in the back with the door wide open, spooking the neighbourhood (I got to watch, because I stole the Roo Wagon while Ray was busy with my car, but sadly could not possibly get a photo, as my camera was stolen when left behind on safari and my phone was sacrificed to The Cadillac Gods while saving Josiah on the interstate...good times)

Yeah I think you have covered all the mileage excuses us Big Caddy owners are required to know. :)
Well done! All in one sentence.

Nope, he forgot "My car is a Hearse" and "Matt's riding in the coffin", both if which greatly depreciating any sense of MPG you could otherwise have fooled yourself into believing.

See you soon, Craig.

77CDV
06-11-12, 11:01 PM
Made it past San Antonio by a few miles, but not before spending some quality time doing a quick survey of the city. First impression: dodgy. There was no section of the city where I felt comfortable stopping for the night, so I soldiered on for a few miles east to get clear of the place. The next town up I 10 is Seguin, which seems to be a fairly sizeable place. I'll pop by tomorrow morning and check with a mechanic if anything can be done for the AC. Wish me luck! :)

ga_etc
06-11-12, 11:33 PM
Sounds like an awesome trip Craig! Too bad you're sticking to I-10. If you were coming through North Ga it would be cool to meet you.

Faded Crest
06-12-12, 12:59 AM
After experiencing I-10 across the gulf states he might just go back a different way. :rolleyes: The coolest part of driving I-10 to me was the swamps of Western Louisiana .

gdwriter
06-12-12, 02:05 AM
Considering I'm about to make a 1,000+ round trip this weekend in a car 13 years older than Rebecca, I wish you well, Craig. I may or may not need to run Betty's A/C since the forecast for Pullman, WA and Coeur d'Alene, ID are in the high 60s, low 70s (summers are divine in the Pacific Northwest). But even when I lived in Phoenix, I never had an issue with vapor lock.

I haven't been to San Antonio in more than 10 years since my sister and brother-in-law were stationed at Randolph AFB. The Alamo and Riverwalk are worth a visit, but I know next to nothing about the rest of the area.

gdwriter
06-12-12, 02:07 AM
Actually I was thinking more about being a stowaway mooch.Rebecca's trunk is big enough that you would at least not be too terribly uncomfortable. :lol:

The-Dullahan
06-12-12, 02:51 AM
Lulz...Trunk...

77CDV
06-12-12, 10:30 PM
I made it Baton Rouge today, which is excellent considering I really didn't get under way until after 10am. Got up semi-early (~7), pulled myself together after yesterday's unpleasantness (a good night's rest in an air conditioned room does wonders!), and took myself a couple miles east to the town of Seguin, TX, home of the world's largest pecan (really!). After asking the guy at the local auto parts store if there was anyone in town who could take a look at the AC, I headed over to a shop where in about an hour things were patched up as best as may be. It's not perfect, but it's better, and for now that's good enough.

The time gave me a chance to look around the town. It's typical of the small town that got bypassed by the interstates, but is still close enough to them not to be completely cut off. You can still see the signs that it was once a very prosperous place. Now, most businesses that are left are open mostly on the weekends to capitalize on whatever tourist trade exists.

I 10 through TX is 882 miles of not very much. It's El Paso on the west, San Antonio in the middle, and Houston on the East. Louisianna so far has been very green and very flat. It also rained here recently, so it cooled off quite a bit and the humidity has dropped some, although it's building in again. :( Coolest this so far was crossing the Atchafalaya Bridge, an 18 mile span over swamps and bayous. Actually very pretty, with clumps of water plants sporting very vivid lavendar pink flowers. Who knew something so pretty grew in such an unlikely place?

If the weather holds, I'll take part of tomorrow to explore New Orleans before continuing to FL. As of tonight, I've covered 1850 miles, and despite all the hiccups, Rebecca has still managed to pull off 17.6 average mpg. Not bad for an old girl who celebrates her 35th birthday this month! :thumbsup:

Faded Crest
06-12-12, 10:42 PM
Told you the swamps were cool. Sadly it's all donwhill from there on I-10 through LA. (sorry) :lol:

ThumperPup
06-12-12, 11:04 PM
Exactly what I was going to say! They'll claim they get nervous since I-10 is a "drug route" from CA to FL and will ask to search your car. It will then get torn apart, you'll get your trumped up speeding ticket, and they'll leave you with a smile(on their faces) as you try to put your car back together.

Don't be nice. Make them get a warrant.

I've never had a problem driving I-10. Biggest hassle I ever had was 90 west to east got stopped in 2 states harassed wanted to search car told them no was on my way

brandondeleo
06-13-12, 04:44 AM
Told you the swamps were cool. Sadly it's all donwhill from there on I-10 through LA. (sorry) :lol:
I lived practically ON the 10 between LA and San Bernardino for most of my life.

I know it far too well. :lol:

brandondeleo
06-13-12, 04:45 AM
told them no was on my way
I'm sure that went over VERY well. :lol:

tinman
06-13-12, 11:18 AM
Look forward to seeing Rebecca this Saturday...and you!

Paul

thebigjimsho
06-13-12, 11:52 AM
I made it Baton Rouge today, which is excellent considering I really didn't get under way until after 10am. Got up semi-early (~7), pulled myself together after yesterday's unpleasantness (a good night's rest in an air conditioned room does wonders!), and took myself a couple miles east to the town of Seguin, TX, home of the world's largest pecan (really!). After asking the guy at the local auto parts store if there was anyone in town who could take a look at the AC, I headed over to a shop where in about an hour things were patched up as best as may be. It's not perfect, but it's better, and for now that's good enough.

The time gave me a chance to look around the town. It's typical of the small town that got bypassed by the interstates, but is still close enough to them not to be completely cut off. You can still see the signs that it was once a very prosperous place. Now, most businesses that are left are open mostly on the weekends to capitalize on whatever tourist trade exists.

I 10 through TX is 882 miles of not very much. It's El Paso on the west, San Antonio in the middle, and Houston on the East. Louisianna so far has been very green and very flat. It also rained here recently, so it cooled off quite a bit and the humidity has dropped some, although it's building in again. :( Coolest this so far was crossing the Atchafalaya Bridge, an 18 mile span over swamps and bayous. Actually very pretty, with clumps of water plants sporting very vivid lavendar pink flowers. Who knew something so pretty grew in such an unlikely place?

If the weather holds, I'll take part of tomorrow to explore New Orleans before continuing to FL. As of tonight, I've covered 1850 miles, and despite all the hiccups, Rebecca has still managed to pull off 17.6 average mpg. Not bad for an old girl who celebrates her 35th birthday this month! :thumbsup:

Yep. Texans brag about the size of Texas. Well, we've got more things of interest packed in MA than all of Texas...

Stingroo
06-13-12, 11:55 AM
More MA v Other State comparison?

:nono:

Craig, I hate to be "that guy" [no I don't] but,

:postpics:

thebigjimsho
06-13-12, 12:03 PM
More MA v Other State comparison?

:nono:

Fine, Connecticut has more than Texas. So does California, Michigan, Virginia, Delaware...

Ok, maybe not Delaware...

The-Dullahan
06-13-12, 12:03 PM

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/oh-you-show.jpg

Faded Crest
06-13-12, 12:46 PM
Fine, Connecticut has more than Texas. So does California, Michigan, Virginia, Delaware...

Ok, maybe not Delaware...

Sometimes less is more.

gdwriter
06-13-12, 01:37 PM
Yep. Texans brag about the size of Texas.Oh, please. Texans like to brag about everything about Texas.

tinman
06-13-12, 01:46 PM
Oh, please. Texans like to brag about everything about Texas.

If Alaskans were smart, they would cut their state in two and make Texas the third largest state. This comment comes from someone who lives in the largest city in the U.S.

gdwriter
06-13-12, 01:48 PM
If Alaskans were smart, they would cut their state in two and make Texas the third largest state.:histeric:

Many Texans like to pretend that Alaska doesn't exist or because Alaska is separate from the continental U.S. that its size doesn't count.

tinman
06-13-12, 01:51 PM
:histeric:

Many Texans like to pretend that Alaska doesn't exist or because Alaska is separate from the continental U.S. that its size doesn't count.

As I am sure you know, gdwriter, size does matter.

orconn
06-13-12, 01:57 PM
Texas .... where even the cockroaches are to be proud of!

gdwriter
06-13-12, 02:26 PM
As I am sure you know, gdwriter, size does matter.That's what she said. :lol:

The-Dullahan
06-13-12, 09:54 PM
the largest city in the U.S.

Yeah, but what do they really have there? Most people have never even heard of it. Even in Florida.

Any New Yorker would claim NYC as the largest city, not by land mass, but what there is to do there. So would the people of Boston, Chicago and Los Angeles.

Also, size of a state/city is not really relevant, unless the size of your property is directly relative, so I have some bad news for most Texans...

77CDV
06-13-12, 10:20 PM
This evening finds me in the lovely community of DeFuniack Springs, FL, about 2 hours west of Tallahassee. This puts me in a good place to Reach St. Augustine by early tomorrow afternoon. :)

My luck was very good today. The weather in Louisianna held, so I was able to spend the morning touring the French Quarter in New Orleans. Yes, I did have the beignets and cafe au lait at Cafe du Monde. Fried dough and loooooottttttsss of powdered sugar. :drool: Roo, avert your eyes! :lol: Spent a good four hours just walking around and seeing the sights and generally being touristy. Unfortunately, the beignets left little room for a muffuletta, which was sad because the Central Grocery Company smelled amazing! Early afternoon is when most of the upscale restaurants start prepping for dinner service, so there were lots of mouth-watering aromas in the air.

From New Orleans I continued on through MS and AL, and finally into FL. Despite Marc's protestations, the drive east isn't bad at all. Still very green, and the FL panhandle is quite hilly, a term one doesn't usually associate with FL. In case anyone's wondering, I finally hit measureable rain once I crossed into FL. Isolated pockets, mostly light sprinkles, but a couple patches of real downpours. Thunder and lightning, very very frightening, etc. :yawn:

On to Cadillac nirvana tomorrow! :cloud9:

Roo, regarding pics, see my first post in this tread. :D

The-Dullahan
06-13-12, 11:14 PM
Tomorrow Afternoon it is. I guess that means no point in leaving for a while, since I am only two hours out.

No reason except I haven't really been to St. Augustine since last year and there's so much there I need to go do again. On my way homeward, I intend to stop into the Historic District, visit friends at their Victorian Bed and Breakfast, the local Hearse owners and possibly some other shenanigans will abound, especially if Reggie's around (The Southeast Forum people may recall this) Now if only there were time to fly the Fiance in...

Faded Crest
06-14-12, 02:08 AM
I'm glad you didn't have any problems on I-10. Maybe they fixed the worst part of the road since I was there 18 mos ago. It was absolutely horrible when I went through. It was so rough and broken that I was literally concerned about my front end parts. :shocked2: I was driving in front of a friend who went down with us to pick up our Silver Eagle in Austin, TX. We got separated along I-10 in LA when he got pulled over and got searched. We didn't even know it happened and kept on rolling. He wasn't that happy when we finally caught up. :hide:

Sounds like you are having a great time. Wish I could come down to poke around the event.

Stingroo
06-14-12, 08:57 AM
I'm glad you didn't have any problems on I-10. Maybe they fixed the worst part of the road since I was there 18 mos ago. It was absolutely horrible when I went through. It was so rough and broken that I was literally concerned about my front end parts. :shocked2: I was driving in front of a friend who went down with us to pick up our Silver Eagle in Austin, TX. We got separated along I-10 in LA when he got pulled over and got searched. We didn't even know it happened and kept on rolling. He wasn't that happy when we finally caught up. :hide:

Sounds like you are having a great time. Wish I could come down to poke around the event.

He should have been pleased that you didn't stop. If you had, you'd be getting even more snooping around and questioning. Cops do not like when other cars pull up to the scene because it adds more variables, and possibly more danger. You (inadvertently, lol) made the right move.

truckinman
06-14-12, 10:52 AM
After experiencing I-10 across the gulf states he might just go back a different way. :rolleyes: The coolest part of driving I-10 to me was the swamps of Western Louisiana .

I love I-10 in the swamps. Just like one continuous bridge for miles.

truckinman
06-14-12, 11:29 AM
I got searched in TX once in the semi on RT 77 about 70 miles north of Brownsville where I had just delivered and picked up a load. It was 2 AM. It'll be wide open country down there with a 65 mph speed limit. I had my cruise set. Well I passed a new sign apparently that said 45 mph. We were still in wide open country so I didn't even think about the limit changing. So I got a ticket for 20 over. Fair enough, I took the blame bc it was my screw up. But then he calls back up!! They ended up searching my truck, didn't even care what I had to say. They were accusing me of smuggling immigrants. I asked why they thought that and the one cop says "your truck and trailer are to new and nice for this area. We've never seen a 2011 trailer down here". I was like are you serious??? That's why ur keeping me here? Just bc you texans can't afford new equipment means I've gotta be detained bc those of us in the north CAN afford new equipment? And yes I actually said that to this Texas state trooper. I was cooperative with them for 2 damn hrs and I was tired as hell and was heading home but had 1500 miles ahead of me. So that line of BS pushed me past my breaking point with those guys. Don't get me wrong, I've got friends that are cops and I completely respect them. But those two were just the kind of cops that couldn't find anything to do so they accused me of smuggling just to kill a couple hrs. After I made that remark, surprisingly a few min later I wad free to go

77CDV
06-14-12, 11:00 PM
Made it the meet and met up with Chamus. Fine afternoon enjoying the cars that have already arrived. It turns out Rebecca has a twin sister here in FL. Very odd sensation to be talking to someone and seeing (what I thought was) my car driving by me. Chamus and I then headed on down to St Augustine's Historic District for a fine dinner at Meehans Irish Pub. We even saw a Buiallac Fleetwood Estate Wagon (which is also here for the meet). Roo, you would approve!

More Cadillac goodness for the balance of the weekend, then time to head back for home. Pics when I get back to CA.

77CDV
06-15-12, 10:32 PM
Another fine day in FL looking at some beautiful Cadillacs. Got Rebecca properly washed this morning (with an able assist from Chamus) and had her picture taken for the club magazine. Also took a quick trip over to the local Cadillac dealer for an oil change before I start back across the country. Capped the day with my own private ghost tour of old St Augustine in a very fabulous hearse.

Looking forward to the main show tomorrow! :thumbsup:

tinman
06-15-12, 10:45 PM
Bringing my 91 year old dad. Look forward to meeting Rebecca...and you.
Paul

tinman
06-15-12, 10:48 PM
By the way, what car and color is she?

The-Dullahan
06-16-12, 06:27 PM
She is a yellow 77 CDV.

orconn
06-16-12, 06:42 PM
Do they have any stone crab in that part of Florida? Love those stone crab claws, and they're a bio renewable too!

tinman
06-16-12, 06:44 PM
A little late for the party, lol! My dad and I talked with you and your cronies earlier! Good show, but disappointed there were no Lasalles. Some great 30's era rides.

tinman
06-16-12, 07:09 PM
Stone crabs (ummmm) are out if season. They are fantastic. Poisonous when raw. Gotta be sold cooked by law.

orconn
06-16-12, 07:27 PM
Somehow raw crab, of any kind, doesn't appeal to me!

RobbieB
06-16-12, 07:32 PM
is all crab poisonous when raw?

tinman
06-16-12, 07:52 PM
Don't know for a fact. I only know that stone crab is.But, like orconn, I 'm not a fan of raw ccrab!

77CDV
06-16-12, 10:54 PM
Not a fan on raw anything! :lol:

The meet wrapped up today, with a couple spring showers that had all the convertible owners scrambling to get their top raised. It turned out there was a Corvette meet being held on the same property, so Chamus and I went to explore those, too. Lots of orange Corvettes for some reason. Odd color, that. :hide: Also got to see a couple folks from my CLC region who made it out for the show, including Jerry Hopper, who drove his 1967 Eldorado ("Old Gold") out for the meet. Of course, Old Gold has over 500,000 miles on him and has been driven on every continent save Antarctica. Rebecca can only aspire to that level of greatness (but I love her anyway).

After supper, I saw Chamus on his way, but not before Branwen pitched a temper tantrum with her alternator growling, which strangely it had not been doing up until this evening. We suspect she was pouting about being taken away from all her Cadillac cousins so soon. She did get a lot of positive attention all weekend, and as one of only three hearses there, she would. It turns out next year's Grand National will be in Boston, not far from the dealer that originally sold Branwen. Chamus is already plotting a photo op.

Heading back to CA starting tomorrow. I'll (again) try to stop off in San Antonio for a look at the Alamo and River Walk, if time permits. Definitely wan to spend some more time with my friends in Tucson before I have to be back home next Sunday night and back to work the next day. :(

Pictureswhen I get home , I promise!

The-Dullahan
06-17-12, 12:51 AM
I made it home about 11:25. Excellent timing if I do say so myself. Having beaten Craig home, I will start a photo thread in the lounge. Incoming 56k warning...

Wow. In hindsight, that IS really good time. This is why I travel at night.

talismandave
06-17-12, 01:09 AM
:pop2: I'm ready!

The-Dullahan
06-17-12, 02:42 AM
Thread is up...

77CDV
06-17-12, 08:09 AM
Update: I (and Rebecca) actually won an award for longest domestic travel distance by an individual. :)

Faded Crest
06-17-12, 09:15 AM
I'd say you must have run away with that one! :D Who was 2nd?

93DevilleUSMC
06-17-12, 09:34 AM
^Why I supply my own truck.

No that was the last meet. When Sting took my Hearse for s spin and Matt hung out in the back with the door wide open, spooking the neighbourhood (I got to watch, because I stole the Roo Wagon while Ray was busy with my car, but sadly could not possibly get a photo, as my camera was stolen when left behind on safari and my phone was sacrificed to The Cadillac Gods while saving Josiah on the interstate...good times)

Nope, he forgot "My car is a Hearse" and "Matt's riding in the coffin", both if which greatly depreciating any sense of MPG you could otherwise have fooled yourself into believing.

See you soon, Craig.

Cadillac has it's own deities? Maybe that's why my fuel pump on the Deville dies. Please, enlighten me concerning their holy structure.

93DevilleUSMC
06-17-12, 09:37 AM
Craig, if you haven't left yet, consider heading up to Atlanta on your way home. Maybe Austin and I could meet up with you. My number is in your PM box.

The-Dullahan
06-17-12, 01:43 PM
Update: I (and Rebecca) actually won an award for longest domestic travel distance by an individual. :)

So what about the people from Washington? Did they actually ship theirs down instead of driving it?

cooncat
06-17-12, 05:47 PM
Craig, did you forget about mentioning me! I'm glad you had a great time at my region's Grand National.

It was a pleasure meeting you and Chamus. You both have great cars.

There were two winners of the distance awards of those who filled out the paperwork. The one who actually came the longest distance was a couple who drove their 1962 Sedan DeVille from Seattle. They had no problems coming across this great nation of ours.

My poor 2006 STS felt a little out of place, but I think he had a great time making some friends there and being among some fabulous cars.

Chris, have a great and safe trip back.

Bro-Ham
06-17-12, 08:58 PM
Great field trip Craig! I'm proud of you for driving your car cross country - all part of the fun! :)

talismandave
06-17-12, 09:08 PM
My poor 2006 STS felt a little out of place, but I think he had a great time making some friends there and being among some fabulous cars.

Funny you should mention that. All the time I was looking at those photos I was thinking the same thing about mine. Even if I left mine 1000 miles away I am afraid those fine machines could still smell the stench of mediocrity on me!

77CDV
06-17-12, 10:16 PM
Craig, if you haven't left yet, consider heading up to Atlanta on your way home. Maybe Austin and I could meet up with you. My number is in your PM box.

See PM. I'm now west of New Orleans.

So what about the people from Washington? Did they actually ship theirs down instead of driving it?

They got longest total distance. I got longest distance driven domestically as an individual.

Craig, did you forget about mentioning me! I'm glad you had a great time at my region's Grand National.<br>

It was a pleasure meeting you and Chamus. You both have great cars.

It was a great meet, and your region is to be congratulated. Fine people and equally fine cars. :) And speaking of cars, no one ought to be embarasssed about their car or it's condition. Just remember the Eldo Brougham with the hard candy shell. :lol:
<br>

Funny you should mention that. All the time I was looking at those photos I was thinking the same thing about mine. Even if I left mine 1000 miles away I am afraid those fine machines could still smell the stench of mediocrity on me!

talismandave
06-18-12, 03:17 AM
Well, in theory I suppose that is true...but mine is looking not very car-like at this point of the work. Maybe by next year it wouldn't end up on a trailer in the parts corral!:helpless:
Sleep well, and have a safe trip!

77CDV
06-18-12, 09:55 AM
Well, in theory I suppose that is true...but mine is looking not very car-like at this point of the work. Maybe by next year it wouldn't end up on a trailer in the parts corral!:helpless:
Sleep well, and have a safe trip! Maybe by next year, my 69 will be ready for the trip to Boston. :lol:

talismandave
06-18-12, 10:16 AM
They got longest total distance. I got longest distance driven domestically as an individual.

Ahhh...now I see why you wouldn't let Faded Crest stowaway!:rolleyes:

thebigjimsho
06-18-12, 07:25 PM
What is this Boston you speak of?

77CDV
06-18-12, 07:29 PM
It's the major city in Massachusetts, but that's not important right now. :lol:

Next year's CLC Grand National is in Quincy, just outside Boston. :)

thebigjimsho
06-18-12, 08:35 PM
Quincy? Who chose that?

77CDV
06-18-12, 08:41 PM
I presume the hosting region.

Random observation: traffic seems a lot heavier on I 10 going west than it did when I was going east.

cooncat
06-18-12, 10:48 PM
Quincy is a suburb of Boston, about 6 miles out. It's in a beautiful Marriott hotel that is very secure and gated. The host region has many great tours planned.

The-Dullahan
06-18-12, 11:03 PM
Six long months, I spent in Quincy,
Six long months, doing nothing at all.
Six long months, I spent in Quincy,
Learning to dance for Flannigan's Ball...

It would be cool to be able to make that meet. I already plan that if I do, Sting will be forced to accompany. Murdock, Josiah, Luke, Kevin and I will just abduct him with a panel van.

93DevilleUSMC
06-19-12, 07:18 AM
Great photos, Chamus. Next year, I'll be present, God willing. If the CLC meet is in Boston, I'm in. And yes, we will kidnap Stingroo and possibly Austin.

thebigjimsho
06-19-12, 04:27 PM
Quincy is a suburb of Boston, about 6 miles out. It's in a beautiful Marriott hotel that is very secure and gated. The host region has many great tours planned.

I know it well. I know one of the managers there.

The good thing is it is separate from anything else.

The bad is that you are in the middle of the worst quagmire of traffic in the Boston area. Trying to go anywhere from 5:30-11AM will be a royal bitch. And the same for 2-7PM.

tinman
06-19-12, 04:40 PM
Stay in one of the local watering holes and drink. Much more fun than gridlock. (As you know, pronounced "Quinzy")

thebigjimsho
06-19-12, 04:51 PM
Stay in one of the local watering holes and drink. Much more fun than gridlock. (As you know, pronounced "Quinzy")

To leave you access the Burgin Parkway. But everything around there is crazy busy.

If you live to the north or west of Boston, no biggie. There are plenty of routes and, while there is traffic, you can generally move around.

From the south you have one main point of access to Boston, the Southeast Expressway. The hotel is right where the Expressway meets Rte 3. Anyone from the south shore or south coast has to go through this point. Or take a lot of backroads. Or go up Rte 128 to I-90, the Mass Pike. And Rte 128 up to Waltham is disasterous enough on its own.

From the upper floors of the hotel you can watch the clusterflippity of what's called the Braintree split...

77CDV
06-19-12, 09:49 PM
I nominate TBJS for toour guide in 2013! :)

talismandave
06-19-12, 10:23 PM
He's going to need a bigger limo!

Stingroo
06-20-12, 01:16 AM
Need more Escalade stretch for next year, Jim.

brandondeleo
06-20-12, 01:24 AM
Need more Escalade stretch for next year, Jim.
I had one for my senior prom.

...or was it an Excursion...

truckinman
06-20-12, 02:56 AM
I had one for my senior prom.

...or was it an Excursion...

Well there's a very easy solution to this question.....did it say ford, or Cadillac? That is the question....tonight.

P.S. I'm a bit of a smart ass at times lol

brandondeleo
06-20-12, 03:13 AM
Well there's a very easy solution to this question.....did it say ford, or Cadillac? That is the question....tonight.

P.S. I'm a bit of a smart ass at times lol

I don't remember! :lol: That was three years ago, and I have a MISERABLE memory. PTSD.

CadillacLuke24
06-20-12, 03:15 AM
PTSD? UH OH.....

:stirpot:

:duck:

:peeking:

Brandon, did you date a FAT CHICK? :bouncy2:

brandondeleo
06-20-12, 03:34 AM
Well... My first girlfriend was totally hot when we dated, but I lost contact for 5 years. When we finally contacted each other again, I discovered that she got pretty big... :lol:

truckinman
06-20-12, 04:25 AM
Hell I remember the limo my parents got me for my 10th birthday. Yes my parents got me a limo when I turned 10 for the evening. It was a Lincoln Towncar. White. And that was 17 years ago. Lol

truckinman
06-20-12, 04:26 AM
Lmao Luke!

The-Dullahan
06-20-12, 07:30 PM
I was graduated six years before this "Prom" thing. (Not even sure if my area's schools did this nonsense)

Shame, I'd have showed up in something interesting, just as I did every other morning to school.

Sounds like Brandon has to dig out the photo album and hope he got a photo of his ride.

Boston sounds fun. If it is even remotely like the other larger Northeast Cities, it will be familiar territory, though rather different from my rural homeland. Maybe the Plastic-Paddys aren't so bad either, but as a general rule, one should never trust "Urban Americans"...or any combination or singularity of those two words, for that matter.

Lots of friends from there/still up there though.

orconn
06-20-12, 08:20 PM
"Plastic Paddys?" OK I give up, what's a Plastic Paddy?

thebigjimsho
06-20-12, 09:02 PM
I may have to attend this shindig.

The-Dullahan
06-20-12, 09:18 PM
"Plastic Paddys?" OK I give up, what's a Plastic Paddy?

Visit any city at Saint Patrick's Day and you'll see more than a few. The people who go above and beyond to act Irish, not based on how we may really act, but on all of our grand sterotypes. Most of them would probably be hard pressed to point out the singular Irishman in the room with them (If there were one and they were asked to do so)

Like this one half-German guy I know. He has little-to-no knowledge of actual Irish culture or history and his children, who are 3/4 German, who are very much like their father.

EDIT

Apparently, there is a Wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_Paddy

BIGREECE
06-20-12, 09:26 PM
There are wannabies in every click, thats why I'm independant and like all you crazy people!
Visit any city at Saint Patrick's Day and you'll see more than a few. The people who go above and beyond to act Irish, not based on how we may really act, but on all of our grand sterotypes. Most of them would probably be hard pressed to point out the singular Irishman in the room with them (If there were one and they were asked to do so)

Like this one half-German guy I know. He has little-to-no knowledge of actual Irish culture or history and his children, who are 3/4 German, who are very much like their father.

EDIT

Apparently, there is a Wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_Paddy

orconn
06-20-12, 09:34 PM
Having read the article through, it sounds like another manifestation of provincialism that the peoples of the British Isles are so fond of foisting on each other!

Just like "true" Irish do not wear kilts or tartans because they are really not Irish! I on the other hand, like most Scots, welcome the wearing of kilts and tartans because it makes business and money for the Scots .... and yee all know we Scots always have an eye on the bottom line!

tinman
06-21-12, 08:51 AM
Having read the article through, it sounds like another manifestation of provincialism that the peoples of the British Isles are so fond of foisting on each other!

Just like "true" Irish do not wear kilts or tartans because they are really not Irish! I on the other hand, like most Scots, welcome the wearing of kilts and tartans because it makes business and money for the Scots .... and yee all know we Scots always have an eye on the bottom line!

Ah, my lad, you didn't mention the one other thing that brings much more money to the Scots, and that might be a dram or two of Whisky.

brandondeleo
06-21-12, 08:29 PM
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i419/brandondeleo/DSCN0423.jpg

...I guess I was completely wrong...

ben.gators
06-21-12, 09:50 PM
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i419/brandondeleo/DSCN0423.jpg

I hope in this picture you were getting into the car, not getting out of the car! :D

talismandave
06-21-12, 10:06 PM
Must be getting in...from the sound of it "out" would have been captured at speed en route!

hueterm
06-21-12, 10:33 PM
Did Craig make it home? Still no pics...!?

thebigjimsho
06-21-12, 11:16 PM

Good to see the driver was averting his gaze...

93DevilleUSMC
06-22-12, 12:52 AM
Craig's in Tuscon with friends for a day or so.

The-Dullahan
06-22-12, 02:50 AM

The Irish have worn tartan longer than the Scots. In fact, the Scottish adopted the wearing of kilts out of a garment originating from wool tunics, which were most likely handed down to them from the Vikings. Kilts will always be associated with the Scottish over the Irish, in spite of this.

The-Dullahan
06-22-12, 02:52 AM
Craig is stopping to see his friends in Tuscon again. He should be home soon.

The-Dullahan
06-22-12, 02:52 AM
Whoops, Josiah already got that.

77CDV
06-22-12, 12:15 PM
...I guess I was completely wrong... Yes. Yes you were. :lol:

Did Craig make it home? Still no pics...!? I'm in Tucson, AZ, visiting some friends until Sunday. They saw me roll in Wednesday looking somewhat warm and windblown. When I told them about the AC being out, thry sprung into action and phoned one of their neighbors, who happens to be a retired Cadillac service tech, and who sill has colleagues working at the local Cadillac dealer. They took me in right away and so Rebea is having her AC restored to full functionality as I write. In fact, I should be picking her up this afternoon. It'll make the final leg of the drive home MUCH more pleasant. :)

hueterm
06-22-12, 12:19 PM
Wow... Great luck with that!

talismandave
06-22-12, 12:55 PM
My crappy friends don't know Cadillac service techs....:(

The-Dullahan
06-22-12, 02:10 PM
^Slaughter them, get new friends.

Stingroo
06-22-12, 02:24 PM
My AC is on its way out... I'm about to cry hysterically. lol

orconn
06-22-12, 02:44 PM
My crappy friends don't know Cadillac service techs....:(

Your friends seem to be tasteless and talentless, same seems to be the case with your neighbors! Go back to sailing, at least some one is likely to have a boat! Or maybe get an another Boxer, at least the conversation will be better!

CadillacLuke24
06-22-12, 04:00 PM
My AC is on its way out... I'm about to cry hysterically. lol

MUUUWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You shall NOT survive the brutal Floridian summers!

Kidding, kidding. Hope you get it fixed soon. A car without AC in a humid climate is a coffin on wheels.

orconn
06-22-12, 05:28 PM

Kidding, kidding. Hope you get it fixed soon. A car without AC in a humid climate is a coffin on wheels.

What weenies we have produced here in the good ol' USA! "No air conditioning, I'll just die!" There was a time when people actually knew what the "real air" smelled like. Put the windows down and it's "Oh my God, my t-shirted and cargo pocket shorted body will over heat!" Yes, weenies!

Faded Crest
06-22-12, 05:39 PM
A lot different when your body has acclimated to a/c. But Orconn is right, if you suffer through a summer without a/c you will indeed get used to it. Done that myself, but now my a/c works and I have nothing more to prove... :D

Big factor for me in being more comfortable in the heat was losing weight. Dropped 20 lbs. and the summer felt a lot cooler to me.

thebigjimsho
06-22-12, 05:47 PM
My SHO had working A/C for 1.5 of the 10 years I owned it. Going to the Atlanta SHO Convention, I had to make do without. It was a silver car w/ black leather.

Driving in the Carolinas, we were doing 90-95 most of the way, with the windows down trying to cope.

No problem...

orconn
06-22-12, 06:11 PM
The Jag XK 150, the Lamborghini, and the Jag E-Type .... none of them had air conditioning. I lived in Southern California, I drove the first two cars to work and every weekend, hot weather or not. To this day I wouldn't want air conditioning in any of these cars; it would completely wreck the experience .... which was nothing like anything available today!

thebigjimsho
06-23-12, 01:10 AM
My SHO was none of those cars...

The-Dullahan
06-23-12, 02:48 AM

No, THIS is a coffin on wheels. Also, "The V8 Fusion" makes an appearance.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/The-Dullahan/207855_190406654335440_100000983210013_478372_1797 069_n.jpg?t=1325319867

Actually, I drove around for like...what...four years...in FL weather, in a car without any working AC or Defogger (For humidity) which happened to be a big, black box, with a sealed driver's cabin and thereby no airflow...and I am Irish, our manufacturer's tag directly states to keep us away from temperatures exceeding 40 degrees Fahrenheit. You'll be fine Sting. Quit complaining.

brandondeleo
06-23-12, 06:05 AM
Air conditioning? Who needs that? :yawn:

77CDV
06-23-12, 10:25 AM
For the most part, being without ac was no big deal, although east TX with 100+* temps and 80+% humidity made it quite clear that it's much better with than without it! :lol:

cadillaxe
06-24-12, 01:55 PM
For the most part, being without ac was no big deal, although east TX with 100+* temps and 80+% humidity made it quite clear that it's much better with than without it! :lol:

when i first moved from IA to Texas, the old porsche 944 had no AC, and i was fine...until i got it fixed. now years later, I'm still spoiled, but i swore i'd never complain about the heat if i never had to see snow again.

I'm in SA if you make it through the city at some point again.

cooncat
06-24-12, 06:02 PM
Getting off the subject of a/c. What a difference a week makes! This weekend especially today we are under Tropical Storm Debby. Yesterday was pretty nasty and today it's worse. So far at my house today we had about 7 inches of rain. I'm on the west coast of Florida in Tampa where the most of the rain is falling, but northeast Florida is getting a lot of rain as well. Yesterday would not have been fun for the show and judging.

77CDV
06-24-12, 08:04 PM
I'm very grateful not be traversing that part of the country this week!

The-Dullahan
06-25-12, 05:37 AM
I adore the rain. It reminds me of home.

Tomorrow is Junkyard day and with our tropical storm and tornado warnings, I greatly look forward to being the only person on the field.

brandondeleo
06-25-12, 05:48 AM
I LOVE the sound of rain when I'm inside listening to it. Otherwise, it can go to hell.

The-Dullahan
06-25-12, 12:08 PM
If the Christians are right and there is a Hell, I certainly hope it rains there. If not, I'd get rather bored. Then again, following other ways or not, I have to earn some kind of credit with this Jesus fellow for stopping on the interstate to help a bus full of Nuns, right?

I really prefer snow. It is rather sad that I had gone a good eight years without seeing snow until around a year ago...where I found three feet of it, minutes outside Las Vegas of all unlikely places.

brandondeleo
06-25-12, 12:11 PM
I really prefer snow. It is rather sad that I had gone a good eight years without seeing snow until around a year ago...where I found three feet of it, minutes outside Las Vegas of all unlikely places.
I live with it. LOTS of it. Every year. It's beyond beautiful, but in every other way I hate it. I hate touching it, walking in it, driving through it... It would be perfect if it just stayed where it's pretty and didn't touch the roads, sidewalks, or my driveway.

talismandave
06-25-12, 03:17 PM
I don't know if I would go as far as hate, but even if I did,:confused: let me say I love to hate it and missed hating it terribly the couple of years I spent away from it.

CadillacLuke24
06-25-12, 05:14 PM
Whoever likes snow should move north to Wyoming, specifically Laramie, during February. The novelty will wear off QUICK. Like Brandon said, it's obnoxious.

Now if it's monster flakes drifting down ever so slowly, and the wind is dead, then snow is the bomb. Since that only happens once or twice a year, I'm not too fond of it.

The-Dullahan
06-25-12, 05:37 PM
I live with it. LOTS of it. Every year. It's beyond beautiful, but in every other way I hate it. I hate touching it, walking in it, driving through it... It would be perfect if it just stayed where it's pretty and didn't touch the roads, sidewalks, or my driveway.

I did the same in the mountains. Even when it snowed so much you could not get out the front door, it could never inspire me to hate it. Snow is awesome.

orconn
06-25-12, 06:22 PM
I like snow .... as long as it's on the mountains and above the 3000 ft elevation!

The-Dullahan
06-25-12, 07:27 PM
I like snow there too, the thing is I prefer to be above that line as well.

thebigjimsho
06-25-12, 07:33 PM
Snow is great from December to February. After that, meh.

cadillaxe
06-25-12, 08:33 PM
grew up for 24 years in Iowa, graduated ISU on a saturday, was in TX a week later. swore i'd never gripe about the heat if i never had to see snow again. have never gone home at Christmas even.

Did call mom a couple weeks after moving to TX. told her i'd seen snow the night before. I'd met a nice stripper, gone to a party, and there were people doing nose candy. I assured her I left immediately and maintained my drug free status. she was so proud.:bigroll:

orconn
06-25-12, 09:24 PM
Here in Virginia we have "Camelot Snow," it snows in the afternoon and it's gone by ten the next morning. I

It's not as though I am not familiar with "real" snow, I went to the Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison back in the days when heavy snow was the norm and 25 below zero expected for a couple of weeks in February. Then I spent two and a half years on Hokkaido the northern big island of Japan (The place where you see pictures of monkeys sitting in the thermal pools surrounded by heavy snow). On Hokkaido the snow started to fall in mid September and finally let up at the end of May. I read somewhere the snowfall around Sapporo, near where I lived was over nine feet per annum. On Hokkaido nobody shovels snow or plows the roads, the snow just builds up and is compacted till it is at a compacted depth of about four feet, folks just dig down making steps down to the doorways. One good thing about the snow and cold on Hokkaido is that for six months out of the year everything is frozen so you forget about what it smells like when it thaws! The "Ice Festival" is also world famous and well worth the trip if you are into that sort of thing! Ramen was also invented in Sapporo and there is a ramen house that makes the best ramen I have ever tasted. The Sapporo Beer Garden is also fun, just remember to keep the toe of the boot pointing down!

The ofuro, or Japanese communal baths were also fun back in the sixties when the folks of Hokkaido still observed the custom of nude male/female bathing at these hot baths. The prudes from down south had been "westernized" by the "Occupation" and now wore bathing suits to the public baths, this was not the case on Hokkaido (bless their little hearts) where both men and women still preferred total nudity with only an "oshibori" sized towel to cover their most private parts. If you liked breasts in the steamy mist you were in luck! Unfortunately, for us "four eyed" nearsighted people we were greatly hampered in our enjoyment of the sights at hand due to our repeatedly steamed over glasses. Somehow all this made the Hokkaido snow and Winter much more bearable!

talismandave
06-25-12, 09:26 PM
Mad props for the drug free status. I kid a lot about my past, but the health problems I have been facing are a direct or indirect result of the coke I did in the early eighties. I joke because what's done is done. It is truly no laughing matter. I was so clean in high school, but for drinking, and the wrong "friends" were my undoing for a few years in my twenties.

cadillaxe
06-25-12, 09:38 PM
Mad props for the drug free status. I kid a lot about my past, but the health problems I have been facing are a direct or indirect result of the coke I did in the early eighties. I joke because what's done is done. It is truly no laughing matter. I was so clean in high school, but for drinking, and the wrong "friends" were my undoing for a few years in my twenties.

first born son of all 3 of dad's older siblings all died in drunk driving wrecks, so never touched it in high school, but by the end of college i was packing beer to class and blacking out on whiskey 4 nights a week minimum. eventually drank my way to the ER, apologized to an IL cop for being lost in CO and went to jail, and had two open heart surgeries at 34. Now have a valve w/ about 6 years left on it.

I still enjoy life to the hilt and couldn't be happier than i am in life today, but i'm much smarter about my health habits these days and don't live quite as "zestful" as the old days.:tisk:

The-Dullahan
06-26-12, 03:18 AM
I've always just avoided that nonsense, but I have a lot of respect for anyone who hasn't and overcame it. I understand how hard it can be.

I don't need anything else trying to kill me, God knows I've had every other type of crisis at least once.

cadillaxe
06-26-12, 06:59 AM
I've always just avoided that nonsense, but I have a lot of respect for anyone who hasn't and overcame it. I understand how hard it can be.

I don't need anything else trying to kill me, God knows I've had every other type of crisis at least once.

hats off to you for being smart in that respect. You're exactly right too in that there's enough setbacks waiting in life w/o creating your own like i did. I got my last paycheck on a friday, wife divorced me 2 days later, and i had to move to a crack neighborhood that week. I had no car and had to be close to my motorcycle shop, as it became my only source of income. As a van pulled up asking me to sell them crack that first weekend, i almost had to laugh at the irony of being voted most likely to succeed in high school.

like the old man used to tell me, "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

talismandave
06-26-12, 09:32 AM
True dat...I've never been smart enough to take the easy way that was right at my fingertips. It has been an odd winding road. Still been lucky enough and worked harder than I needed to and came out the other side. The worst things that happened, while I wish I could have avoided, are some of the best lessons learned. Beat your head against a brick wall long enough and hard enough, it will either kill you or teach you a lesson. At 53 I can say I am finally content and happy with my life. Something I never felt before.

77CDV
06-26-12, 01:39 PM
Well, this thread has gone far a-field, covering snow and snow (but mercifully, not
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDPbXfU7h3g ), as well as the meaning of life in general.

I got back home Sunday evening, worked yesterday, so today I decided to put up some trip pics FWIW. Hope you all enjoy them! :)

Starting out
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/001.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/002.jpg

The lovely Pacific Ocean on an early June morning. What, you were expecting sunshine? :lol:
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/003.jpg

The western terminus of I-10 (directly adjacent to the western terminus of old US 66)
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/004.jpg

How this has escaped the PC police I've yet to know.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/005.jpg

This is the city.....
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/006.jpg

Finally seeing sun outside Palm Springs (June Gloom sucks big time).
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/007.jpg

Crossing the Colorado (aka, escaping CA).
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/008.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/009.jpg

77CDV
06-26-12, 02:15 PM
About 25 miles over the border is the town of Quartzite, AZ. Every time I've driven past, I've seen a place that sells old cars, so I finally decided to stop and check it out.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/010.jpg

The good news is he has a wide selection. The bad news is it's a wide selection of overpriced, beat-to-hell, craptastic piles. It's really sad because a lot of them were probably really nice cars before they were left to bake, broil, and be sandblasted in the AZ desert.

It's easy to see why the Native American population traditionally referred to the mountains of southern AZ as "sky islands".
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/013.jpg

In Tucson. Mad props to my friends for letting me do a drive by.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/015.jpg

Crossing the lower Continental Divide in New Mexico. This trip marks Rebecca's third round trip crossing of the divide under my ownership.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/017.jpg

Passing through Las Cruces, NM, and over the Rio Grande.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/020.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/021.jpg

Beautiful El Paso, TX!
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/024.jpg

OK, that's really Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. Yes, it's that close. This is El Paso.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/025.jpg

Among the small ruins of the American Southwest. This was a school house in a now-abandoned west TX town.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/026.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/027.jpg

Thank God I'm finally out of TX!
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/031.jpg

Down on the Louisianna bayou.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/033.jpg

Crossing the mighty Mississippi.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/035.jpg

77CDV
06-26-12, 03:02 PM
Ah, New Orleans! The French Quarter is the place to see if ever you go. It's really beautiful, and so much to see. I was pressed for time, so I just hit some highlights. This is the Cathedral of St. Louis and Jackson Square.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/039.jpg

Cathedral interior.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/054.jpg

Cafe du Monde, just opposite Jackson Square.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/040.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/042.jpg

Beignets and cafe au lait. Because you must. :drool:
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/041.jpg

Old Man River.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/043.jpg

In the French Market.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/048.jpg

All y'all best know you're in the South. Ray and Matt, your diet is toast! :lol:
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/050.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/049.jpg

Garden of the old Ursuline convent.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/053.jpg
The chapel is, IMO, even more beautiful than the cathedral. Easy to believe when you know the convent served as the residence for the archbishops of New Orleans after they kicked---uhh---suggested the nuns might be better served in other quarters. Sorry I didn't get a picture of the chapel.

On the Rue St. Pierre.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/055.jpg

77CDV
06-26-12, 03:09 PM
You in Mississippi now, boy!
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/058.jpg

And quickly into Alabama.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/060.jpg
Does anyone besides Alabamans really care who the governor is?

Mobile.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/061.jpg

The USS Alabama moored in Mobile Bay.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/062.jpg

Yahtzee!
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/065.jpg

And finally at rest in St. Augustine.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/066.jpg

77CDV
06-26-12, 03:16 PM
I've warned Chamus about his Irish voodoo. Now look what he's done!
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/067.jpg

Yes, Rebecca has a near-twin in Florida. Played major games with my head the first time I saw the other car drive by. I was like, "My car! But, it's over there...but, it's driving by...but...wait, what?!?" I confess I nearly walked up to the wrong car a couple times and had to correct myself.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/068.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQTqKcojrVY

77CDV
06-26-12, 03:28 PM
OK, time for pics. Let's start with the classics.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/136.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/141.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/140.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/137.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/138.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/139.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/142.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/099.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/100.jpg

tinman
06-26-12, 03:37 PM
Loved that 1912.

Seeing the differences through the 20's and 30's, how they became more modern and improved, that was neat.

orconn
06-26-12, 04:05 PM
From the pictures, you can see why Harley Earl's arrival at GM really perked things up! And more was to come!

77CDV
06-26-12, 06:15 PM
Some classis Cadillac mascots (besides the flying lady).
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/101.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/143.jpg

The late 1930s and into the 1940s.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/104.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/105.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/106.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/107.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/108.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/109.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/110.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/111.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/112.jpg

77CDV
06-26-12, 06:30 PM
Some 50s.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/113.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/115.jpg

Miss Daisy, your car is ready.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/120.jpg

The Eldorado Family for 1958. From left to right: Biarritz, Seville, and Brougham.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/122.jpg

Soooo many Eldorado Broughams.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/144.jpg

This rolling restoration gives a good show of the methods of the Italian carrozzerias. The main body material seems to be filler. :lol:
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/102.jpg

Obilgatory 59.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/170.jpg

77CDV
06-26-12, 06:45 PM
The 1960s.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/125.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/124.jpg

This 1963 Eldorado lives in Hobe Sound. Ray used to live in Hobe Sound. Why have we never heard of this car before, Ray?????
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/157.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/150.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/093.jpg

I'm not the only one who drove out from CA!
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/146.jpg
Some of you may have seen Old Gold, a 1967 Eldorado still owed by the original owner. Old Gold has been to every continent except Antarctica and has travelled over 500,000 miles. Most recently, he was in Australia for the CLC Australian region's biennial meet. Because of his longevity and wide travels, the Cadillac Motor Car Division has agreed to give Old Gold a full factory restoration, after which he'll be sent on a publicity tour around the US.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/126.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/127.jpg

77CDV
06-26-12, 06:51 PM
I love the 70s!
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/076.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/205.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/097.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/092.jpg

1976 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance. :drool:
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/070.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/071.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/073.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/074.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/135.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/075.jpg

77CDV
06-26-12, 07:02 PM
A couple professional cars. The Professional Car Society held it's national meet in Daytona Beach this past week. I wish I could have stuck around for that.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/098.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/072.jpg

And on into the 80s
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/079.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/080.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/081.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/082.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/148.jpg

I don't care what people say, these are very pleasant cars. Just look at that interior! :cloud9:
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/183.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/184.jpg

And into the 90s and today.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/129.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/089.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/091.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/133.jpg

orconn
06-26-12, 07:13 PM
Great show! So many Cadillacs I have known , and some I have even loved, thanks Craig for posting your pictures. Much appreciated!

77CDV
06-26-12, 07:41 PM
Did someone say "Brougham"?
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/083.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/084.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/149.jpg

Triple white. Love love love!!!
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/086.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/088.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/085.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/090.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/134.jpg

77CDV
06-26-12, 07:42 PM
Some modified Cadillacs make the scene.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/161.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/162.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/163.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/164.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/077.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/177.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/178.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/179.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/180.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/181.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/182.jpg

And of course, the Buillac.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/130.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/131.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/132.jpg

77CDV
06-26-12, 07:46 PM
Oh, yeah, there were also a bunch of Corvettes, many of them orange.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/192.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/194.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/195.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/196.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/197.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/198.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/199.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/201.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/202.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/203.jpg

No, they're not all the same car. :lol:

77CDV
06-26-12, 07:50 PM
Some non-orange Corvettes.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/185.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/187.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/188.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/188.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/189.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/193.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/191.jpg

orconn
06-26-12, 07:55 PM
I have always wanted a late thirties early forties four door convertible sedan. The two pictured here are really nice, but my preference was always for a Packard. I also have a real sweet spot for forties Cadillacs. A '46 or '49 convertible would always be welcome in my garage. That 1939 Sixty Special still tells the story of what a Cadillac is all about very well!

77CDV
06-26-12, 07:59 PM
As the sun sets on the Grand National, Branwen and Rebecca prepare to go their separate ways.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/207.jpg

Stopped in San Antonio on the way home. Visited the Alamo, of course.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/208.jpg

And Riverwalk, which is close by. One thing for sure about Riverwalk, you will NOT go hungry there.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/213.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/212.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/215.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/216.jpg

77CDV
06-26-12, 09:51 PM
Then I stopped in Tucson for a couple days. I always enjoy spending time with my friends, Jim and Lynne. They're an older couple whom I met because Lynne's mother was my neighbor when I bought my first house. Since the three of them moved to AZ some 10 years ago, I've been going a couple times a year to visit. Good conversation with intelligent people is the best vacation there is!

Jim and Lynne's business is rare and antique books, and they're celebrating their 25th year in business this year. So, the three of us got together one evening to come up with a logo to commemorate the occasion. Jim drew it up and posted it on their Facebook page.
https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/180198_293192130778644_310296068_n.jpg

We went down to Mission San Xavier del Bac to check up on the on-going restoration. The mission is a beautiful thing, and very ornate on the inside.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/ccv4.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/ccv1.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/ccv2.jpg

Also stopped by the UofA art museum. They have a large collection of Renaissance art, including an almost-complete, though disassembled, retablo from a Spanish cathedral. This image of St. John the Evangelist is my personal favorite.
http://artmuseum.arizona.edu/exhibitions/exhibitions_pdf/retablo_gallego_invite.pdf

And of course, those AZ sunsets. My camera just can't do it justice. :(
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/217.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/218.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/226.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/229.jpg

And home again. With our award. :)
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/235.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/236.jpg

All the pics here: http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2012%20grand%20national/

talismandave
06-27-12, 12:06 AM
Well, this thread has gone far a-field, covering snow and snow (but mercifully, not .....video of Snow ), as well as the meaning of life in general.
We really shouldn't even bother putting titles on any thread posted here...just put Thread... and leave it at that. :rolleyes: As a large part of the thread jacking,:sorry:
Thanks for the "Snow" in June. I liked that song for about a week...hated it for 19 years. Actually enjoyed it enough to Shazam it.
But most of all thank you for the photo show. I enjoyed and looked forward to your check-ins. You brought a long needed vacation to me. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but my favorite pictures are the over the hood shots of the scenery. The scenery and shots were beautiful, but you could take a picture of a landfill, as long as it is framed by the Cadillac hood and crest I'd hang it proudly.
Fun to see El Paso, it has been over thirty years since I have been there. back then a skyscraper was 6 stories!
I love the photo of Rebecca on Bourbon St. reminds me of "Lie and Let Die for some reason.:confused:
That triple white Brougham is incredible! Of all the cars pictured (except for family of course) the ones that really make my heart hurt are, that white Brougham, the 63 convertible, the Fleetwood wagon, and that 35 resto-mod.:drool:
First look at Rebecca and her twin I thought the wheels and whitewalls made all the difference. Looking closer I noticed it is something else. It is the stance of the car. Rebecca just seems to stand prouder than her twin. Amazing what a little bit of sag will do.
As to family, you guys hit the jackpot with the photos of Rebecca and Branwen. The car colors and the light and sky make those some real keepers.
Thank's again, what a wonderful adventure. Go un-yoke those oxen and relax!:thumbsup:

gdwriter
06-27-12, 01:56 AM
Enjoyed the pictures, Craig, and it's cool to see someone take a vintage car on a long road trip (successfully, too). I also love San Xaviar; the White Dove of the Desert is indeed lovely.

If you haven't been there on a previous visit to Tucson, I encourage you to visit the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. It's a fascinating place where I discovered an appreciation for the Sonoran Desert. Plus, it's a fun drive out there if you go via Speedway Blvd. through Gates Pass. Kinney Road to Ajo Way also has some fun winding stretches and dips through the (normally dry) washes. The forest of saguaros through the Tucson Mountain Park is impressive.

The-Dullahan
06-27-12, 03:28 AM
In their defense, Craig, the CLC meet did have it's own thread. It has probably sunken to page two of the Introductions Lounge by now.

Jesda
06-27-12, 04:10 AM
I love the Riverwalk! That's where I saw Kristen Bell

cadillaxe
06-27-12, 06:55 AM
That's where I saw Kristen Bell

mmmmmm.... :2thumbs:

The-Dullahan
06-27-12, 04:46 PM
No idea who the **** that is, but Google image search makes me wonder why someone would want to.

http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/39000/Kristen-Bell-39338.jpg

Crap, that is a huge photo.

thebigjimsho
06-27-12, 11:42 PM
El Paso is a pit.

93DevilleUSMC
06-28-12, 04:43 AM
Just when I thought my road trip itch could not get any worse, Craig, you post these photos. Now I have to point my CTS in some general direction and just start driving.

Jesda
06-28-12, 05:46 AM
If you make it to STL, I'll treat you to a beer, and not the A-B stuff.

93DevilleUSMC
06-28-12, 05:56 AM
If you make it to STL, I'll treat you to a beer, and not the A-B stuff.

I'll take that deal.

The-Dullahan
06-28-12, 06:27 AM
Just when I thought my road trip itch could not get any worse, Craig, you post these photos. Now I have to point my CTS in some general direction and just start driving.

That is what is important in life. Between my first two jobs in FL I took a massive amount of time (About two years) off to just learn and experience the state (Not having a car made for interesting travel) and it was the shifts from my second job at 5 or 6 AM that I would drive to work in and feel the desire to just drive passed the place, hop onto the interstate and go that brought me where I am now. When I am finished with this job, I feel I will do the same as with my first job down here, now equipped with a car, and see the parts of this country I have only driven through briefly or never visited at all.

cadillaxe
06-28-12, 07:54 AM
That is what is important in life. Between my first two jobs in FL I took a massive amount of time (About two years) off to just learn and experience the state (Not having a car made for interesting travel) and it was the shifts from my second job at 5 or 6 AM that I would drive to work in and feel the desire to just drive passed the place, hop onto the interstate and go that brought me where I am now. When I am finished with this job, I feel I will do the same as with my first job down here, now equipped with a car, and see the parts of this country I have only driven through briefly or never visited at all.

New years morning 2010 i thought i might be moving from FL to TX soon, so woke up, packed a change of clothes, told my girlie i'd call her from a hotel when i stopped. Pointed the harley south, and after 5 hours in extremely cold rain i stopped in a hotel in vero beach. the maid put my clothes in the dryer while i put my jacket and boots on the open oven door with it on, hoping it wouldn't catch fire and land me on a darwin award email.

exactly right though, those experiences are what life's all about. by the next night i was cruising under clear skies through lauderdale enjoying a nice steak dinner at a 'ballet' (Solid Gold). Here's the nice young waitress so happy she made it into a book. :)

77CDV
06-28-12, 11:34 PM
Thanks, guys. I had a great time doing it, and I'm really glad you all enjoyed reading about it. Hope some of you will be able to make Boston next year. :)

93DevilleUSMC
06-29-12, 02:00 AM

I used to do something very similar after my first job. Instead of taking I-20, there were some nights where I would just take back roads home. Considering that work and home were thirty miles apart, I had a lot of surface streets and country roads to choose from. GA-155 and GA-212 were my favorites, as there were plenty of curves, almost no police, and the 4.9 had plenty of torque to make it a fun trip. This was great, considering that I got off at 1 AM on any given Sunday morning.

CadillacLuke24
06-29-12, 03:42 AM
I love driving aimlessly. Jump in, turn the key, and think, "Ok babe, where you want to go tonight?"

thebigjimsho
06-29-12, 09:31 AM
My life is finding amsome back roads. Alas, I'm 38 and have been driving all my life in New England. There are very few roads I don't know about. Unless its far northern Maine, I don't think there is a spot on the map with a 3 mile radius I haven't been to.

It's getting boring...

The-Dullahan
06-30-12, 02:26 AM
I love driving aimlessly. Jump in, turn the key, and think, "Ok babe, where you want to go tonight?"

Last time I did that it was around 3 AM (dark time of day in Central Florida, as the sun is out by 5:00 AM and as Craig was surprised to see, the sun does not fully set until almost 10:00 PM and was because we had the most dense fog I have ever seen in Florida. You could literally lost yourself in it. Asking my car "where do you want to go tonight" landed me in a rural area with a few 1800's houses and some large iron-gated property of unknown use. My car also decided the perfect album to play would be this "Ashes" by Two Steps From Hell. As usual, she was right and it was awesome.

CadillacLuke24
06-30-12, 05:10 AM
My life is finding amsome back roads. Alas, I'm 38 and have been driving all my life in New England. There are very few roads I don't know about. Unless its far northern Maine, I don't think there is a spot on the map with a 3 mile radius I haven't been to.

It's getting boring...

MOOOOOOOOVE. Or take a vacation.

brandondeleo
06-30-12, 05:56 AM
Maybe move to the proper side of the country. :histeric:

The-Dullahan
06-30-12, 08:30 AM
The Proper Side of the Country is across the Atlantic, I believe...separate country or not.

Next best bet would obviously be the Northeast.

77CDV
06-30-12, 04:24 PM
The Proper Side of the Country is across the Atlantic, I believe...separate country or not.

Next best bet would obviously be the Northeast.

Not that you're biased or anything. :lol:

The-Dullahan
06-30-12, 05:14 PM
Not that you're biased or anything. :lol:

I have Family there. Both places, actually. That is what is important to me. That and we have great weather and an overall fantastic environment.

CadillacLuke24
07-01-12, 01:24 AM
It rains all the damn time. How is that great weather? :stirpot:

The-Dullahan
07-01-12, 01:53 AM
Not when it's snowing. I will take Snow and Rain over Florida's weather any day. I can literally hardly function outside during a sunnier day, because I am rendered nearly completely blind, especially if in an open area, such as a parking lot and have actually had people guide me through them. Likewise, even a few hours in the sun and I am burnt completely. Craig got to see this firsthand. It doesn't hurt and the skin peels off and heals quickly, but somehow I can imagine it is not something I am meant to be exposed to.

I rather wish I were born much earlier in humanity's timeline. I could stake my own claim in the frigid northland, amid the thick forest and snow-topped peaks and enjoy my natural splendor, my rain, snow, hail and The Aurora Borealis and even occasionally get to fight Vikings. Honestly, I cannot imagine a possible life that could be better than this.

77CDV
07-01-12, 04:01 AM
Not when it's snowing. I will take Snow and Rain over Florida's weather any day. I can literally hardly function outside during a sunnier day, because I am rendered nearly completely blind, especially if in an open area, such as a parking lot and have actually had people guide me through them. Likewise, even a few hours in the sun and I am burnt completely. Craig got to see this firsthand. It doesn't hurt and the skin peels off and heals quickly, but somehow I can imagine it is not something I am meant to be exposed to.

I rather wish I were born much earlier in humanity's timeline. I could stake my own claim in the frigid northland, amid the thick forest and snow-topped peaks and enjoy my natural splendor, my rain, snow, hail and The Aurora Borealis and even occasionally get to fight Vikings. Honestly, I cannot imagine a possible life that could be better than this.

I understand completely. I feel the same way about the desert (less Vikings, of course).

The-Dullahan
07-01-12, 04:19 AM
I make due just fine in the desert. Same coat and scarf attire as in the mountains (Though for different reasons entirely)

If I lived there, I think I would use the bike a lot more often. Also, I'd have built my Rat Rod by now, because I would not care about it's paint condition driving through sandstorms.

On a related note, which section of California's Craigslist is that Cadillac shell on? Devious intentions abound.

brandondeleo
07-01-12, 05:17 AM
I can live with 100+ (I do and I have-In fact, I enjoy it) and I can live with below 0 (I do and I have) but I can't live with constant gloom and rain. It's disgusting and depressing.

77CDV
07-01-12, 09:11 PM
I make due just fine in the desert. Same coat and scarf attire as in the mountains (Though for different reasons entirely)

If I lived there, I think I would use the bike a lot more often. Also, I'd have built my Rat Rod by now, because I would not care about it's paint condition driving through sandstorms.

On a related note, which section of California's Craigslist is that Cadillac shell on? Devious intentions abound.

Gold Country. Was last posted 6/27 for $500.

77CDV
07-01-12, 09:12 PM
I can live with 100+ (I do and I have-In fact, I enjoy it) and I can live with below 0 (I do and I have) but I can't live with constant gloom and rain. It's disgusting and depressing.

I don't care how sunny it is, once it gets much below 65*, I get crabby. Not really a fan of temps under 75* in general.

brandondeleo
07-02-12, 04:43 AM
I don't care how sunny it is, once it gets much below 65*, I get crabby. Not really a fan of temps under 75* in general.
:yeah:
I can live with cold, but I don't like it.

The-Dullahan
07-02-12, 04:48 AM
I am not a fan of anything over 40. I may at times allow it to stretch to 45, but that is seriously pushing it.

Craig - What it lacks for the rear or front section, it more than makes up for for actually having the windshield. It is rather a beneficial thing for my own inner-self that the majority of my sanity slipped away longer ago than I can really recall, or I may question why I have been shopping around for a V16 Cadillac engine lately instead of just dismissing it as merely something natural to do...

CadillacLuke24
07-02-12, 03:52 PM
And yet you like in Florida. Or are you referring to celsius?

Weahter depends on the region too. 50 degrees here in Gillette is too danm cold. 50 in Laramie is freaking GOURGEOUS :cool:

cadillaxe
07-02-12, 08:37 PM
And yet you like in Florida. Or are you referring to celsius?

Weahter depends on the region too. 50 degrees here in Gillette is too danm cold. 50 in Laramie is freaking GOURGEOUS :cool:

yes, all things are relative. In Iowa 75F and a 160#'er with bad teeth and low esteem at 2 am were both "hot". :lildevil: When i moved to TX and FL, those things were not.:yup:

The-Dullahan
07-02-12, 08:47 PM
Well yes, Luke. I do, at times (most of the time for the last eight years) live in Florida. I do not however enjoy the weather here, though the rain can be quite lovely, when we get enough of it. If you were local, you would probably notice I do all my outside-type-nonsense at night, whenever possible. Or in the rain, though that is only sometimes planned out that way. The whole going blind via sunlight thing is bothersome to say the least. Working in the sun, I can put up with, regardless of the heat or humidity. Likewise, though I get burned nearly instantly, I don't really mind that either. Sunburns fade. If I really cared, I would have to avoid the sunlight like the black death and in Florida, where everything closes at night that would be awful, as though it is rare, there are some occasions I need to visit someplace that is only open during daytime hours.

cadillaxe
07-02-12, 08:50 PM
Well yes, Luke. I do, at times (most of the time for the last eight years) live in Florida. I do not however enjoy the weather here. If you were local, you would probably notice I do all my outside-type-nonsense at night, whenever possible. Or in the rain, though that is only sometimes planned out that way.

not a fan of the 2-3 pm daily downpour and subsequent sauna? :)

CadillacLuke24
07-03-12, 03:14 AM

I sure am not. I lived right on the Misso River in SD, and have been to the East Coast 3 times. The humidity during regular conditions is miserable. I'll take the bone dry WY air, thank you.

The-Dullahan
07-03-12, 04:46 AM

I adore the rain. The only times it is not raining back home are at night (once in a while it rains, but they are usually pretty clear unless there is a thunderstorm) or when it is snowing. Other than that, it is raining constantly. I just cannot deal with the brightness levels in Florida. They are not too bad when it is highly overcast and drizzling, though. That and the entire lack of character to the local environment. It could be worse though. I live in a part of Florida that is rural and full of rolling hillsides where concrete is a foreign concept. even Craig was surprised how many hills he found in the supposedly "flat" Florida landscape.

The-Dullahan
07-03-12, 04:46 AM
DOUBLE POST! make a wish.

cadillaxe
07-03-12, 07:11 AM
I adore the rain. The only times it is not raining back home are at night (once in a while it rains, but they are usually pretty clear unless there is a thunderstorm) or when it is snowing. Other than that, it is raining constantly. I just cannot deal with the brightness levels in Florida. They are not too bad when it is highly overcast and drizzling, though. That and the entire lack of character to the local environment. It could be worse though. I live in a part of Florida that is rural and full of rolling hillsides where concrete is a foreign concept. even Craig was surprised how many hills he found in the supposedly "flat" Florida landscape.

The girlie and I drove down to Labelle to pick up a chopper frame/wheels years ago, stayed the night in Sebring, and it was wild to see the more open space of Florida. All I'd seen up til then were the cities on the coast. if you actually have hills, you must be further north I assume west of Orlando perhaps?

The-Dullahan
07-03-12, 02:11 PM
I am actually a tiny bit south of Orlando. All of Lake County shares the hilly terrain, which is of course why we have so many lakes to give our land it's namesake as well.

Garys
07-03-12, 08:04 PM
Hi Craig, I took a minute to look over the thread. What an amazing trip! Makes me feel like I was there. Great job! So Rebecca's AC is back in business?

Garys
07-03-12, 10:07 PM
Jerry Hopper sure gets around with that '67 eldo. Amazing!