: Service?

exterminate
06-09-12, 08:19 PM
I recently purchased a 2006 cts-v and it has a sticker that says next service at 47000 miles or 5/2012. Should I wait for 47000 miles (3000 miles to go) or get it serviced?

darkman
06-09-12, 08:29 PM
I recently purchased a 2006 cts-v and it has a sticker that says next service at 47000 miles or 5/2012. Should I wait for 47000 miles (3000 miles to go) or get it serviced?

Neither. The car is equipped with an oil life system that gauges the life expectancy of the oil based on how the car is driven (number of cold starts, short trips, long trips etc.). You should service the car based on that gauge. If you want a safety margin change it at 15% remaining life.

The 3 months or 3,000 mile stickers are an artifact of the old maintenance schedules before modern engines and motor oils. The manufacturers have all abaondoned such schedules even though the shops and dealers still use the stickers because they profit from unneeded over maintainence. You should however, change the oil at least annually.

exterminate
06-10-12, 04:55 PM
Thats good to hear. What is a good way to know oil life for cars that don't have the gauge?

darkman
06-10-12, 05:43 PM
In the absence of an oil life gauge, i would go by the manufacturer's recommendation. The cars with which I am familiar that were built just prior to the advent of the oil life gauges, had service intervals of 7,500 miles for normal service and 3,750 severe service. Severe service was defined in the owner's manual and usually included trailer hauling etc. I think the hardest thing on modern motor oil is the short trip vehicle because if you only drive 10 miles or less per trip the oil never gets hot enough to burn off the combustion-related moisture that accumulates in the oil. That is one reason to change the oil at least annually without regard to mileage.

All of this, of course, assumes street driving, even if "spirited." If you track the car, I would always arrive at the track with fresh oil (and other fluids for that matter).

kciaccio
06-10-12, 05:57 PM
To add to that, Mobile one now has oil that lasts 15K miles if you can believe that. My wife's new BMW has scheduled oil changes at 15k now because of that oil.

JDB
06-11-12, 07:29 AM
Well, that oil life gauge is only as reliable if it was reset at the last oil change. What % does it say? It's under Info.

If you want a real gauge : www.Blackstone-labs.com

exterminate
06-11-12, 07:01 PM
All of this is helpful guys. Thanks!

The oil looks fine now on my cts-v. It hasn't been driven much since the last service.

My other daily driver gets about 10 miles per trip so I may have to take your advice on once a year. The manual says every 10,000 miles which I don't get in a year.

06BlackV
06-12-12, 08:58 AM
All of this is helpful guys. Thanks!

The oil looks fine now on my cts-v. It hasn't been driven much since the last service.

My other daily driver gets about 10 miles per trip so I may have to take your advice on once a year. The manual says every 10,000 miles which I don't get in a year.

I drive 20 miles round trip to work , i put about 8,000 miles on the car a year (roughly) i change my oil every 4,000 or every 6 months just to be on the safe side.

JDB
06-12-12, 10:35 AM
I drive 20 miles round trip to work , i put about 8,000 miles on the car a year (roughly) i change my oil every 4,000 or every 6 months just to be on the safe side.

Yup, Im about the commute and total miles. Change in April-May (start of track season) and again in Oct-Nov (start of winter)...or earlier if fall track events and miles are too close to changing anyway.

These guys who say they change before every track event must like wasting $. I try to stay away from the summer events as they're too hot for me anyway.

mstrjon32
06-12-12, 02:00 PM
All of this, of course, assumes street driving, even if "spirited." If you track the car, I would always arrive at the track with fresh oil (and other fluids for that matter).

FWIW, I take my car to the track often enough and don't really do anything except adjust tire pressure when I get there. I change the fluids based on the severe service schedule and change the oil based on the OLM.