: Differential Flush....Postponed!

curtc
06-09-12, 05:06 PM
Went in to do a diff flush today at my local GM dealer, asked them to do a nice once over on her as well...30 minutes later the head tech comes out and informs me that both rear axle seals are leaking and the water pump is starting to leak as well. Doesn't make much sense to do the diff flush at this point...Luckily I bought an extended warranty when I bought her 2 weeks ago, all of that is covered, will only cost me $100 deductible..only $20 more than the diff flush would've cost me in the first place...Should cover 30% of the warranty price after parts and labor, if not more, will give them the list of what else is covered and have them look at those components as well...Glad I bought that warranty!

simpsonia
06-10-12, 02:46 PM
That's good.. Whats the name of the extended warranty????

curtc
06-10-12, 02:48 PM
Got it through Ford at the dealer that sold me the car, called "Ford ESP."

curtc
06-11-12, 04:56 PM
Got the quote, $950 and change with parts and labor, goes in for surgery tonight...$100 deductible :)

Pjazz
06-12-12, 06:57 PM
I don't mean to split hairs but is there such a thing as a differential flush? I imagine you could change the fluid in the diff but really I thought all you could do it drain it and theres really no regular maintenace schedule for that. Also isn't there a recall notice on these rear ends that would cover this.

curtc
06-12-12, 08:37 PM
Recall was already done, they went out again...also yes, I meant diff drain/refill, my bad...recall work is only covered for 12m/12k per the dealer. Recommended to replace diff fluid every 50k or so.

Just got her back..$120 out the door, $840 covered by extended warranty.

EChas3
06-12-12, 09:01 PM
It sure sounds like a good idea. I forget what the normal STS diff fill is. Any lube weight above 80 might just merit a flush before replacing seals. Clean is good!

Pjazz
06-14-12, 12:31 AM
I don't see any rear end service entervals required in my manual unless I missed something. Pesonally with all the leak problems I've had with my rear I think I wouldn't have it changed while its not leaking or making any noise.

EChas3
06-14-12, 10:19 PM
2006 Manual indicates AWD transfer case every 50,000 if used for towing. I'd say transmission recommendations apply to differentials.

Pjazz
06-15-12, 12:58 AM
If it makes you comfortable thats all that matters.