Cadillac Owners Forum banner

running temp

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Faber 
#1 ·
I'll try this again..

What's the normal running temp? I run at 195-239 depending on if its hot or in traffic, should I be worried about this? I replaced water pump last fall.

#7 ·
My car runs anywhere from 186-226. While moving I am always in the 186-200 range, depending on how spirited of the driving. The 226 is rare and only if sitting in traffic and then the fans cool it down. Your 239 temp seems high to me. Not to high jack the thread, but has anyone tried a 165 degree thermostat and if so, is there any tuning that would need to be done to the car? I also have the Alradco aluminum radiator.

#14 ·
With the OEM radiator my car used to hit 220+ with some frequency, particularly in summer stop and go traffic running the AC in the Houston heat. Once I installed an aftermarket aluminum radiator I never see anything above 195 F, no matter what. I still run a stock thermostat to prevent any cold weather running issues even though Houston has not had a Winter since 1989.

#16 ·
Even though my coolant temperature stays below 200 F, my oil temperature runs around 222-225 once fully warmed up. It does take almost 10 miles of urban street (35 mph) driving to fully warm up though. I watch my oil temperature because a banzai charge with cold oil is a sure-fire recipe for a spun bearing on these engines.

#21 ·
Just did some real world tracking to be more certain - when I'm crusing the highway (both at 83 & 68 degree weather) the coolant ran at around 195-199 while oil was in the 195 - 205 range. I then let her idle in my garage and within 5 minutes the coolant temp had risen to 235, aux fans kicked on, coolant temp peaked at 237 and then started to drop. Oil temps after idling for 5 min were in the 220 range but climbing. Seems to be normal based on others reviews.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.