: [Q] after market sub

idkwhothatis123
06-09-12, 10:43 AM
Has anyone installed a sub into there caddy? If so, did you use the stock amp? What setup did you get (10's, 12's, multiple subs, etc.)? I'm just looking for more bass out of my system. My stock speakers are fine for me. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

curtc
06-09-12, 10:55 AM
You CANNOT use the stock Bose amp to power an aftermarket sub, not happening....So here's what you need if you just want to add a sub to your stock system.

1. Line out converter - Look into the AudioControl LC2i, great product and MADE IN AMERICA.
2. Aftermarket amplifier, pick your poison, just no cheap shit in the Cadillac please :) (ie., Sony Xplod, Dual, Jensen, etc)
3. Enclosure and subwoofer(s).
3. 2-4 gauge power/ground wire, remote turn on wire, RCA connector to go from LOC to amp, and some speaker wire.

The AudioControl LC2i will tap into the existing system via the stock subwoofer wiring, that's where it gets its signal. Then just hook up the RCAs and the remote turn on from the aftermarket amp to the LC2i, run your power/ground, and hook up the sub to the amp and you're all set.

I have a 12" JL W6 and a 900w RMS Orion amp that I am debating on putting in the STS, had it in my CTS and she pounds hard...But the stock system in the STS is the best one I've ever heard, haven't decided if I really need that extra bass or not as it sounds amazing as it is.

idkwhothatis123
06-09-12, 11:48 AM
You CANNOT use the stock Bose amp to power an aftermarket sub, not happening....So here's what you need if you just want to add a sub to your stock system.

1. Line out converter - Look into the AudioControl LC2i, great product and MADE IN AMERICA.
2. Aftermarket amplifier, pick your poison, just no cheap shit in the Cadillac please :) (ie., Sony Xplod, Dual, Jensen, etc)
3. Enclosure and subwoofer(s).
3. 2-4 gauge power/ground wire, remote turn on wire, RCA connector to go from LOC to amp, and some speaker wire.

The AudioControl LC2i will tap into the existing system via the stock subwoofer wiring, that's where it gets its signal. Then just hook up the RCAs and the remote turn on from the aftermarket amp to the LC2i, run your power/ground, and hook up the sub to the amp and you're all set.

I have a 12" JL W6 and a 900w RMS Orion amp that I am debating on putting in the STS, had it in my CTS and she pounds hard...But the stock system in the STS is the best one I've ever heard, haven't decided if I really need that extra bass or not as it sounds amazing as it is.

Wow. Best answer ever. Thanks man. I get decent bass out of the stock sub (especially since I have it all the way up) but a little more wouldn't hurt. I was thinking a ten would be plenty.

curtc
06-09-12, 12:10 PM
I forgot one VERY important piece of equipment, get a 100A ANL fuse to go inline on the power wire within 12" of your battery.

EChas3
06-09-12, 01:05 PM
There's an old post from a member that built a sweet custom enclosure. Free-air sub's like the OEM aren't generally up to the task demanded by many of today's car audio enthusiasts.

Personally, I find the STS Bose 15.1 System the best OEM system I've owned and excellent for my listening preferences.

eatyoursandwich
06-09-12, 01:17 PM
There's an old post from a member that built a sweet custom enclosure. Free-air sub's like the OEM aren't generally up to the task demanded by many of today's car audio enthusiasts.

Personally, I find the STS Bose 15.1 System the best OEM system I've owned and excellent for my listening preferences.

Agreed. Aside from the B&O system I had in my S8, this is easily the next best OEM system out there; balanced perfectly. If I was still in highschool and wanted everyone to hear my sub, I would invest in a custom enclosure and top-notch components.

Charles Warren
06-11-12, 09:43 PM
Acoutic elegance has ib subs and don't take much amplifier power to reach xmax but I'm with you guys saying its one of the best sounding oem systems. I won't take my sub out or add to it but I'm wanting to try an infinite baffle setup in my gtp because of the low hz and flat response people are reporting when using these lambda drivers. I like rap,jazz,pop and anything else with a nice kick or thump so I won't discourage you to take the oem sub out but I will encourage you to make it sound better or put the oem back in lol