: 50,000 kilometer service???

lexpar
06-09-12, 08:41 AM
Went in for my 50,000 kilometer or 31,000 miles ( service and was told I had to change the diff oil ($158). Dealer also recommended flushing the brake fluid, the power steering fluid, and an induction service flush. What's with this? This is my daily driver, babied and not raced. What recommendations or advice do you have for me? Tires are also bald? Thanx in adance for any help.

darkman
06-09-12, 04:42 PM
I would certainly replace the tires and do, or have done, the fluid changes/flushes. Fluid changes obviously can be cheaper if you do them yourself, but the process does require time, tools, and the wherewithal to properly dispose of the old fluids. The induction service flush is not considered routine maintenance and should only be required in response to a specific problem.

Rakenjevnk
06-12-12, 09:48 AM
if I may; what is an induction system flush? They flush fuel lines or clean intake?

darkman
06-12-12, 10:08 AM
if I may; what is an induction system flush? They flush fuel lines or clean intake?

Although it is called different things by various shops, it is basically cleaning the fuel injectors. Sometimes, it is marketed as a package including such things as a fuel filter change, a can of fuel system cleaner in the fuel tank, and perhaps spray cleaning the throttle body with some cleaner. Some shops and dealers sell this under a brand name such as BG Flushes.

GM indicates that this service is not required as a matter of routine maintenance - see attached. GM does recommend the periodic use of their fuel system cleaner in the fuel tank, but that particular additive is designed to remove sulfur deposits that interfere with the fuel related gauges. Additionally, GM indicates that the fuel filter need not be replaced as periodic maintenance.

This is not to say that any of there procedures should not be done in response to a specific DTC or problem.