: Program new car key fobs

mmh
06-09-12, 01:29 AM
Have had my car for 2 days & have not been able to program the key fob. Our salesman was a rookie & told us to go home & study the manual because he didn't know how to do it. I think I'm doing all the steps that the manual (very convoluted) but it's not working. Anyone have some simple steps to follow? Thank you, mmh

R3TRO
06-09-12, 02:00 AM
I bought a 3rd key fob and programed mine by using the manual... I can't figure out how to make the 3rd key as the second user though! All it does is open and start the car but I can't store any settings with it.

Ludacrisvp
06-09-12, 02:19 AM
Only fobs 1&2 can have personalized settings stored with them.

Mark C
06-09-12, 08:25 AM
What year? Only the 97's and earlier Sevilles can be programmed by the owner, anything after that takes a Tech II to add a FOB to the car.

1crock
06-09-12, 11:32 AM
What year? Only the 97's and earlier Sevilles can be programmed by the owner, anything after that takes a Tech II to add a FOB to the car.

Not true at all. Keep trying to program per the manual, it took a few tries when I did mine.

If you want to make a replacement fob the No. 1 or 2 so it will work the remote start and the memory you need to clear all the keys and start programming from scratch. The manual covers that as well and it's posted here somewhere.

EChas3
06-09-12, 01:10 PM
Better yet, go to the Sticky thread at the top of the forum and find the link to procedures that are more clear and explain the details.

WMG/STS
06-13-12, 12:36 AM
If you have a programmed FOB place inside car, then take a key and insert in door, turn key 5 times to unlock within 20 sec this will activate programmer, insert key in center pocket with buttons facing front of car, car will program fob.

EChas3
06-13-12, 08:59 PM
If you have a programmed FOB place inside car, then take a key and insert in door, turn key 5 times to unlock within 20 sec this will activate programmer, insert key in center pocket with buttons facing front of car, car will program fob.

This procedure is intended to add a new fob to the car; usually as #3 or #4, which aren't personalized. To start from scratch and match a fob as #1, #2, etc. ensure all known fobs are out of range (30 feet should do). then, put them in the center pocket in sequence. Just follow the relevant procedure in the Sticky.

dannyquest
04-08-14, 09:57 PM
Need some help with 06 STS key fob. My car came with 2 fobs. I have bought one from a forum member, Programed it as #3. Up till now all fob works. Fast forward two years I lost fob #1. No big deal I thought. Reprogram as per manual, Fob #3 is now #1. Fob #2 won't program. Installed NEW battery & tested them. So I reprogram again, still won't program. Taken both fob to an auto part store. They have a checker for fobs. Only fob #2 show a very weak signal. Could some how the fob went bad. Open the fob, check for dirt, any thing broken. Nothing is out of place. My question is, does fobs crap out like this. Can this be fixed. Any one have fob for sale. Danny

EChas3
04-13-14, 04:33 AM
Sometimes the metal tabs that make contact with the battery get dirty, corroded or bent. Baking soda & water is a good mild cleaner. Don't use anything more abrasive than a pencil eraser. Energizer & Panesonic (rare) batteries are the best according to the manufacturer data sheets (on a site dedicated to the CR2032 battery).

I have a new-style fob as my #1. It takes a bit of handiwork to fit a first generation key to it but it's rewarding.

dannyquest
04-13-14, 10:31 PM
Thanks EChase3, I have checked, cleaned all metal tabs that connect to the battery again. The battery is a new Rayovac & tested 3.30 volts. Also cleaned the connect points where the buttons hit. Stop by the auto part store to use their fob tester. Now fob #2 shows strong signal. Guess what? Can't get it to Program. Oh well, back to the drawing board. Danny

EChas3
04-14-14, 02:35 AM
When programming fobs, do you keep all fobs out of range of the car until requested by the procedure? If any fobs that have been matched to the car are within range, the procedure reverts to #1 (like it says in the manual & my write-up.)

I once tried to see if it was possible to match the same fob to two cars simultaneously. It would be cool, but no dice. The procedure changes BOTH the fob & the car.

It sounds like your work on your fob may have corrected much of the issue. Now, it could just be the procedure.

Be advised that there is more to testing a battery than a volt reading. Current under load is the correct metric. The typical load for testing small batteries in the range of 1.5 to 9 volts is 0.370 Ohms. Most VOM's (volt-ohm-meters aka multi-meters) have a setting for this that yields 4.5 mA for a new top-quality alkaline dry cell such as the Energizer. Their Lithium-ion AA cells score 5.0 on my meter.

Don't ruin a good meter intended for small batteries by trying it on your car's big lead/acid battery. Load testing it does require special tool. Many of the free battery tests provided by parts stores are worthless. More often than not, one must pay to receive something of value.