: What do you collect?

Pages : [1] 2

orconn
06-08-12, 08:22 PM
Seems like several of us have mentioned collections here on the Forums, Cadillacs, guns, vinyl records, etc. It might be interesting to hear about some of our collections.

One of my collections is of film mechanical cameras. I started accumulating camera back in college and have done a bit of film photography over the years. about thirty years ago I noticed I had several cameras, each of which had its' own story. Little by l;little this group became the beginning of my collection.

Most of my cameras are German mechanical cameras. They are true masterpieces of machinist's and camera makers art along with that of the lens makers.

I have a few electronic cameras and digital cameras, but my true love is for the finely made mechanical cameras like the Leicas and the twin lens Rolleiflexs.

At any rate, I am sure there are many interesting collections among our members and I am sure we would all enjoy hearing about them.

hueterm
06-08-12, 08:52 PM
This is borderline actual collectibles and just what I have a lot of. Some are more sentimental than others.

Cars
Pistols (various makes and calibers)
Shotguns (all Remington 870 pumps, including 3 Wingmasters -- except for one 1100 Sporting automatic)
Ammo (don't really set out to collect it...just hoard it...yes Janet Napolitano, I've got a lot of ammo)
Golf clubs (w/special emphasis on Scotty Cameron putters)
Le Creuset cast iron cookware
Global and Shun cutlery (I have other brands, but those are what I consider collectible)
Orvis luggage (I'm an Orvis whore)
Ray-Ban sunglasses (at least one per car...)
Waterford crystal (to clarify, it's my late mother's collection -- but I bought them all for her gifts over ~20 years)

Yes, the house is alarmed...and I have a German Shepherd...

Stingroo
06-08-12, 08:55 PM
I used to collect flamingos and Jeff Gordon memorabilia.

Now nothing, really. I have an unimpressive collection of die cast models, and a collection of wagon parts. I still have all the Gordon stuff in boxes, and will occasionally buy a piece if it's interesting.

Also, all things orange. If I need it, and can find it in orange, I will buy it. Shirts, knives, kitchen utensils, bed sheets, folders, binders, my backpack, etc.

I'm weird. Whatever.

Faded Crest
06-08-12, 08:56 PM
Eldorados... :rolleyes:

But seriously... I don't really collect anything anymore. When I was a kid I collected baseball cards, but to me it became about what they were worth and before long, I sold my entire collection and bought a Cadillac. :D

orconn
06-08-12, 09:11 PM
Eldorados... :rolleyes:

But seriously... I don't really collect anything anymore. When I was a kid I collected baseball cards, but to me it became about what they were worth and before long, I sold my entire collection and bought a Cadillac. :D

My nephew made a major dent in his college tuition by selling his comic book collection!

gary88
06-08-12, 09:22 PM
I keep all my old plane tickets/hotel keys/museum tickets/train tickets/etc from when I travel. I still have a Carte Orange in my wallet right now...

CadillacLuke24
06-08-12, 09:27 PM
Hahaha sweet you guys!

Don't hate, :sneaky:

but,

I collect Jeff Gordon paraphanellia. 1/64 diecast cars, hats, shirts, and whatever odd JG trinket I come across (which happens to be just about anything). I have a Gordon monster truck, drag racer, lego building sets, cups, etc. The commercials used to say, "How bad have you got it?" I'm addicted for life. :D I think my Dad is still waiting for me to outgrow NASCAR.

I'm an off and on Hot Wheels collector. Not one of those losers who has to have EACH AND EVERY SINGLE MODEL FROM EACH AND EVERY YEAR. I pick the ones I'd like in my garage, and I go for my favorite models. I think I have 6 Escalades, 6 Silverados, 4 CTS-Vs, 3 69 Chevelle SS models, and a mix of other stuff. I have a few of those weird cars, like the souped up tanker trucks. If I could make Hot Wheels become real (and have the garage to hold them all, it's in my collection). Besides the Caddies and the Chevies, I'll snatch an occasional Ford. I have an 07 Shelby GT500, the new BOSS, and a GT.

I accumulate tools. One of these days I'd like a monster shop garage filled with tools. For the Cadillac, of course. :D I usually buy a general tool cause I need it for something I'm tinkering with on my car, and then it gets used elsewhere. The only specific tools I've purchased thus far are the oil pressure sender switch socket and the spoke wrench I have.

Call me weird too (that's nothing new), but I also like to collect soda bottle labels, specifically Pepsi and Mountain Dew variants. 4 and only 4 of each kind. I keep thinking I'm going to be able to go on antiques roadshow and they'll be worth thousands. They look cool though, and I may get them glued to posterboard and make a poster like arrangement. I also have those corrogated plastic signs they use for advertisement outiside the big retailers. 2 each of every one I've ever seen made, which is only like ten. Those are way neat, and will make great garage hangers down the road.

RightTurn
06-08-12, 09:52 PM
Shoes. Lots of shoes. Oh, and purses, too. :coffee:

HAZZARDJOHN
06-08-12, 10:56 PM
I collect Spores, molds, and fungus.

cadillac kevin
06-08-12, 10:56 PM
Hahaha sweet you guys!

Don't hate, :sneaky:

but,

I collect Jeff Gordon paraphanellia. 1/64 diecast cars, hats, shirts, and whatever odd JG trinket I come across (which happens to be just about anything). I have a Gordon monster truck, drag racer, lego building sets, cups, etc. The commercials used to say, "How bad have you got it?" I'm addicted for life. :D I think my Dad is still waiting for me to outgrow NASCAR.

I'm an off and on Hot Wheels collector. Not one of those losers who has to have EACH AND EVERY SINGLE MODEL FROM EACH AND EVERY YEAR. I pick the ones I'd like in my garage, and I go for my favorite models. I think I have 6 Escalades, 6 Silverados, 4 CTS-Vs, 3 69 Chevelle SS models, and a mix of other stuff. I have a few of those weird cars, like the souped up tanker trucks. If I could make Hot Wheels become real (and have the garage to hold them all, it's in my collection). Besides the Caddies and the Chevies, I'll snatch an occasional Ford. I have an 07 Shelby GT500, the new BOSS, and a GT.

I accumulate tools. One of these days I'd like a monster shop garage filled with tools. For the Cadillac, of course. :D I usually buy a general tool cause I need it for something I'm tinkering with on my car, and then it gets used elsewhere. The only specific tools I've purchased thus far are the oil pressure sender switch socket and the spoke wrench I have.

Call me weird too (that's nothing new), but I also like to collect soda bottle labels, specifically Pepsi and Mountain Dew variants. 4 and only 4 of each kind. I keep thinking I'm going to be able to go on antiques roadshow and they'll be worth thousands. They look cool though, and I may get them glued to posterboard and make a poster like arrangement. I also have those corrogated plastic signs they use for advertisement outiside the big retailers. 2 each of every one I've ever seen made, which is only like ten. Those are way neat, and will make great garage hangers down the road.

You collect hot wheels? What a dork. LOL.
I collect hot wheels as well (they got me hooked on 1:1 cars). As a kid, I had about 350-400 of them. Now I probably have 2 or 3 times that (I'm guessing. I've never counted. I just know I have alot.) Everything ranging from redlines to blackwalls to some newer stuff (although I mainly like the late 60s to mid 80s stuff.) I'm not one of those guys who has to have one of everything. I collect what I like and nothing more. I also restore old hot wheels cars (a whole lot cheaper and more fun that buying mint originals.) Because of this, I've gotten quite good with the airbrush.
Aside from hot wheels, I have a collection of license plates, old hub caps, and Amoco stuff (gotta cover the walls with something.) I also am stereo guy. I have a mid 80s sony component system (components slotted just under their ES line, so its really nice) that plays through KLH model 18 speakers. I'm also building a rack system for my den (still have to get a tuner, cd player, and tape deck for it.)

Rolex
06-08-12, 11:08 PM
I keep collecting wines, but I drink them almost as fast as I collect them.

Firearms. Silver coins.

MrHolland
06-08-12, 11:24 PM
I collect money. On the occasion I will trade some of said money to increase my collection of cars.

The-Dullahan
06-08-12, 11:25 PM
HazzardJohn is the man.

I would not say I collect cars, I just own one for every day of the week.

Instead, I have an extensive collection of dozens of masks from around the world (At least a few from every continent, excluding Antarctica) and mechanical wall clocks and timepieces. I also have LOTS of Vinyl albums and CD's, having always been very passionate about Music, as well as the other fine arts. I am sure my various skeletons/skulls/horns/pelts/other bones, animal, human or someplace in between count as collections. Some of them are even intricately carved and ornamented and with my upbringing and whatnot taken into account, it is only natural I collect melee weaponry. The difference being my weapons, swords for example, are not the funny little $400 stainless steel film reproductions/ridiculously designed ones on sale at the flea market and even the ones made in our era are completely authentic. Not exactly simple to come by, as there are just under thirty people in the world today who make swords for a living. Fun fact about me that many of you may not have known, I still teach swordplay to this day, with more of my students taking fencing than other varieties of the art. My personal fencing implement is a particularly unique rapier with an abnormally long blade slightly thicker than what is typical, a detailed wire-wrapped handle, leather wrapped separated ricasso to accommodate various handgrip styles, ornamented pommel and a basket which is highly designed, though meant for form over function and I have been told by a Forum member who had visited my house that the utter size of the basket's overall size was entirely inexcusable (Obviously knew nothing about swordplay, besides, I have a condition that makes my appendages all extra long and my hands very large and spindly)

I suppose that is the part of my "collection" most people remember, if not simply the masks, as one cannot enter my house without seeing my great two-floor-high wall of masks. I am also passionate as to the theory, practice and history of such weapons and once had the chance to have some hands-on analysis of The Wallace Collection's various weapons, but constraints did not allow me to do so in person. I had a friend do this and get detailed information on a specific fencing dagger, though and drew up my own design for it, after careful consideration. I then took my design before a friend in the industry who spent a the next twelve months developing the weapon for it's final physical form, then forging it to the new specifications, with alterations including a longer blade and a custom pommel, then sending it to another associate to have a custom etching on the blade. It was a gift for an old friend, albeit it ended up being two weeks late.

That and Wenches. Wenches make up about 90% of my close personal friends.

Kad4Life
06-08-12, 11:33 PM
Antique Arms; White, and Black ..........
For way too long . :D

Kad

MotownPimp
06-09-12, 12:04 AM
Little plastic sports figures called "Starting Lineups" made by Kenner/Hasbro between 1988 & 2001. The good ones I've had professionally graded. Pix of some of the highlights:

Complete run of AFA 90 or better MJs:

1988 AFA 90 Jerry Rice:

1996 "Asian" Magic

Best is run of "90" MJs; only one anywhere. Took me 22 years to assemble.

Stingroo
06-09-12, 12:17 AM
I have some of those as Jeff Gordon figures.

Cool.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-09-12, 12:24 AM
Automotive brochures. I've got between 2500-3000 of them. The most I ever paid for one was $148 + shipping for a very clean, original 1957 Cadillac deluxe brochure WITH the original salesman's card stapled to the front cover. He hand wrote his name and phone number on it in pen. Off the top of my head, I don't have a favorite brochure, but the 1994-95 Mercedes Benz S-Class brochures are up there. They're 12x12, with thick covers and about 100 beautiful, well laid out informative pages with lots of detailed information and pictures. Otherwise the two ones I have for late model Ferrari are up there as well.... I had to BUY those from the Ferrari dealer in Chicago and they were atleast $45, but they're hard cover, about 100 pages each and with all the gorgeous photos, they have copy in both Italian and English. Very neat.

The "oldest" brochure I have is for the 1932 Duesenberg model line, but since it was a reprint done in the 1960s, it saved me about $450 over the cost of an original brochure ($15 v. $465 or so)

Aztec ETC ECS
06-09-12, 12:53 AM
I collect money. On the occasion I will trade some of said money to increase my collection of cars.
And vice versa!

Playdrv4me
06-09-12, 01:15 AM
Seems like several of us have mentioned collections here on the Forums, Cadillacs, guns, vinyl records, etc. It might be interesting to hear about some of our collections.

One of my collections is of film mechanical cameras. I started accumulating camera back in college and have done a bit of film photography over the years. about thirty years ago I noticed I had several cameras, each of which had its' own story. Little by l;little this group became the beginning of my collection.

Most of my cameras are German mechanical cameras. They are true masterpieces of machinist's and camera makers art along with that of the lens makers.

I have a few electronic cameras and digital cameras, but my true love is for the finely made mechanical cameras like the Leicas and the twin lens Rolleiflexs.

At any rate, I am sure there are many interesting collections among our members and I am sure we would all enjoy hearing about them.

My brother is nuts about those old film cameras. Mostly as beautiful works of art to keep around the house, but recently he got an itch for a Rolleiflex, and I guess he wants to find a working one to actually use.

thebigjimsho
06-09-12, 02:52 AM
I seem to be collecting a lot of pubic hair under the toilet. I gotta stop scratching and start cleaning...

CadillacLuke24
06-09-12, 03:36 AM

Cool.

You're a Gordon fan?

:thumbsup:

EDIT:

Damnit Roo! Go back to your old avatar!

Stingroo
06-09-12, 04:19 AM
looooooooool.

brandondeleo
06-09-12, 04:34 AM
I collect records. Vinyl 33s, of course. And shot glasses.

CadillacLuke24
06-09-12, 03:12 PM
Many times, when the weather is bad, I'm under the weather, or there is nothing the non internet world can offer me....

I collect dust.

:D

Ranger
06-09-12, 03:44 PM
I collect time.

orconn
06-09-12, 04:18 PM
My brother is nuts about those old film cameras. Mostly as beautiful works of art to keep around the house, but recently he got an itch for a Rolleiflex, and I guess he wants to find a working one to actually use.

I can certainly understand your brother's desire for nice, functioning, Rolleiflex twin reflex. I have a very nice one and it is one of my favorite cameras. The build quality is without peer and the ease of focusing and composition make it a great camera for portraiture and for all round use. Equipped with the best of lenses available the Rolleiflex is one of the all time great cameras. A lot of people don't realize that until a few years ago these cameras were still available "new." But the cost of producing high quality "mechanical" film camera became so high (about $4500. for a new one last time I saw them) that they are no longer produced. The digital cameras that every one uses today use plastic in their construction and electronics for the controls both of which are very cheap by comparison.

The hobby of camera collecting seems to be growing rapidly. No wonder with so many beautiful pieces of equipment available in the used marketplace ... at a fraction of their original prices!

Jesda
06-09-12, 05:42 PM
I had a high school marketing teacher who collected typewriters. She had them hanging on the wall all over her classroom.

Playdrv4me
06-09-12, 06:14 PM
I can certainly understand your brother's desire for nice, functioning, Rolleiflex twin reflex. I have a very nice one and it is one of my favorite cameras. The build quality is without peer and the ease of focusing and composition make it a great camera for portraiture and for all round use. Equipped with the best of lenses available the Rolleiflex is one of the all time great cameras. A lot of people don't realize that until a few years ago these cameras were still available "new." But the cost of producing high quality "mechanical" film camera became so high (about $4500. for a new one last time I saw them) that they are no longer produced. The digital cameras that every one uses today use plastic in their construction and electronics for the controls both of which are very cheap by comparison.

The hobby of camera collecting seems to be growing rapidly. No wonder with so many beautiful pieces of equipment available in the used marketplace ... at a fraction of their original prices!

This growing trend seems to have not been lost on Olympus and Fujifilm. At least those two have recently re-released modern digital versions of their classic film cameras, with VERY similar build quality. Of course, being truly made in Japan and to the standards of the older cameras, they're also not cheap as far as Micro Four-Thirds cameras go (about 1200.00 each).

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lecaIvvCyrg/TznY3vCbLnI/AAAAAAAABAI/pfIB6eFgWJg/s1600/Olympus-OMD-EM5.jpg

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/articleImages/MR8/x100-front.jpg

exterminate
06-09-12, 07:59 PM
i want to start collecting whiskey or wine, but the thought of transporting them when i need to move stops me...

orconn
06-09-12, 08:12 PM
It's always good to think ahead!

talismandave
06-09-12, 08:25 PM
i want to start collecting whiskey or wine, but the thought of transporting them when i need to move stops me...
That is when they go down the drain.(By way of the kidneys!)

Spyder
06-09-12, 09:48 PM
I keep collecting wines, but I drink them almost as fast as I collect them.

Firearms. Silver coins.

Hey. What the hell? You stole my collection, word for word. Except replace wines with beers and doctor bills. :D

talismandave
06-09-12, 11:13 PM
Well, picture the show Hoarders...but instead of newspapers, trash, dirty adult diapers, and dead cats,
:fwll: substitute anything Indycar and auto related, 1/18 scale models, watches, (watches, watches, watches...) and Cadillac parts. (It actually looks like a Fleetwood exploded in my place right now) If I bring anymore parts of it up here I could assemble it in my living room. The advantage of being divorced.:cool:

CadillacLuke24
06-09-12, 11:43 PM
Crap, if that's how it can be, I may just hold off on the whole GF business!

Aztec ETC ECS
06-10-12, 12:07 AM
I collect time.
Can you spare some? I could use an extra hour every week.

The-Dullahan
06-10-12, 12:16 AM

Cool.

I have a diecast I think 1:18 (but I cannot really recall, because I never see it) of Mr. Gordon's car from...I dunno, some point in history, still in the original box.

Guess what you are getting for Decemberween, Ray.

talismandave
06-10-12, 12:16 AM
Crap, if that's how it can be, I may just hold off on the whole GF business!
There are certain "advantages" I miss though!

BigCadMan_1
06-10-12, 06:01 AM
Q: What do you collect? A: debt!

93DevilleUSMC
06-10-12, 08:17 AM
Die cast cars, books, one small, folded American flag given to me by a missionary I know( it remains in my glove box to this day), a Ka-Bar, a Smith and Wesson boot knife, several other knives, and several high-quality coffee table photography books.

Aztec ETC ECS
06-10-12, 03:21 PM
Shoes. Lots of shoes. Oh, and purses, too. :coffee:
How YOU doin'? :smilewide:

I also collect "purse collectors".

talismandave
06-10-12, 03:55 PM
How YOU doin'? :smilewide:

I also collect "purse collectors".
Well hey dude give me a call!:eyebrow:

brandondeleo
06-10-12, 03:59 PM
You two can meet for some French food and a Twilight marathon!

talismandave
06-10-12, 04:03 PM
I"ll bring my purse collection, I didn't mention it before but since he is open minded on these things...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-10-12, 05:49 PM
I wouldn't say that I collect beers, but I always like to try something new. A favorite bar in Minneapolis has over 300 different brews available from all over the world, with a huge selection of microbrews and obscure brews. I always get something new when I go there.

CadillacLuke24
06-10-12, 06:28 PM
I have a diecast I think 1:18 (but I cannot really recall, because I never see it) of Mr. Gordon's car from...I dunno, some point in history, still in the original box.

Guess what you are getting for Decemberween, Ray.

How bout I pay for shipping and you give it to ME?? :prettyplease:

cadillac kevin
06-10-12, 08:21 PM
How bout I pay for shipping and you give it to ME?? :prettyplease:

Thats not how decemberween works

talismandave
06-10-12, 08:38 PM
Oh Luke...get me your address and I will send you a purse?:crying2:

CadillacLuke24
06-10-12, 10:38 PM
Is it Jeff Gordon, Cadillac related?

:rofl:

truckinman
06-11-12, 09:20 AM
I don't collect much of anything anymore. But use to collect 1/18 scale model cars and R/C airplanes and for a short while pipes. The kind u smoke. Lol. I very rarely smoked em. Never been much of a smoker. But once in a great while I'd put some good expensive tobacco thru em. But mostly I just find the wood work on some of these pipes beautiful.

talismandave
06-11-12, 09:34 AM
Not copper, PVC and Galvanized?
...and ...yeah...tobacco....that's what I put in mine too....

brandondeleo
06-11-12, 09:36 AM
talismandave says that because he doesn't want you to know that what he really puts in there is usually boiled in a spoon.

talismandave
06-11-12, 09:44 AM
Never was that hardcore, that was sort of the next decade after I grew up a little.

truckinman
06-11-12, 09:53 AM
Not copper, PVC and Galvanized?
...and ...yeah...tobacco....that's what I put in mine too....

Lmao. I knew someone would say something bout that! But yes. Lol. Tobacco

thebigjimsho
06-11-12, 11:11 AM
G-U-N-P-O-W-D-E-R. Tobacco!

Yup, I spell real good, I do!

C-A-T. Dog!
D-O-G. Rhode Island!

thebigjimsho
06-11-12, 01:20 PM
OK, so it was B-A-T...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gBRmAeJuOU

exterminate
06-11-12, 07:25 PM
If I was filthy rich I'd collect cars

truckinman
06-11-12, 07:30 PM

Me as well. Jeeps, Cadillacs, and corvettes to be exact!

Faded Crest
06-11-12, 08:41 PM
You don't have to be rich to collect cars... Just to collect nice ones. :rolleyes:

The-Dullahan
06-11-12, 08:42 PM

Nope. Luke, you'll get...something.

On a semi-related note: Kevin, you never told me how much wire you needed and I can't send the wire faeries to the post office without your address anyhow.

The-Dullahan
06-11-12, 08:45 PM

Never stopped me...

Aztec ETC ECS
06-11-12, 10:12 PM
^ Yeah.

http://www.chss.iup.edu/kpatrick/Cartomb/Junk%20yard,%20S%20of%20Hollidaysburg,%20PA-3,%20Nov%202005.JPG

I'm sorry. I got my Fedora out of the cleaners today & I can't control it.

talismandave
06-11-12, 10:19 PM
Oh that blue/white Mark breaks my heart. That was the combo of a local car I had a huge crush on when I was a kid! Not a spot of rust in sight.:helpless:

Aztec ETC ECS
06-11-12, 10:31 PM
^ How 'bout the blue DeVille on the right?

And someone gave that red thing on the left a heart shaped sunroof.

talismandave
06-11-12, 11:10 PM
Didn't notice the Heart! Sadly I did notice the DeVille. I guess the reason the Mark struck me is I have always loved those right up there with my love for Cadillacs of that vintage. The difference is, I have been blessed to own several great 74-76 Cadillacs, but the stars have never aligned for a Mark and me. If a few years from now the Talisman is in order, that may have to be addressed.:hmm:

Faded Crest
06-11-12, 11:49 PM
^^^ I think the blue and white car is actually a '72 T-Bird... Does that ease the pain?

I rolled over in a really cool 1974 Mark IV once. I hit an ice patch from a broken water line on a big curve and I went into the trees on my side. The wrecker pulled the car back straight and it was shaped like a Banana. I drove it on my not-so-merry way with a broken side glass, windshield and buckled roof.

The-Dullahan
06-12-12, 01:41 AM
^ Yeah.

http://www.chss.iup.edu/kpatrick/Cartomb/Junk%20yard,%20S%20of%20Hollidaysburg,%20PA-3,%20Nov%202005.JPG

I'm sorry. I got my Fedora out of the cleaners today & I can't control it.

Fedora? You must be related to Sting.

Actually my collection is more like this, though I do see my Lincoln's slightly paler twin sister in there.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/The-Dullahan/g1.jpg?t=1329001729
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/The-Dullahan/IMAG0065.jpg?t=1325371115
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/The-Dullahan/IMAG0061-1.jpg?t=1324852264
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/The-Dullahan/car.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/The-Dullahan/imagejpeg_3.jpg?t=1318213950

Not shown are the '85 Superliner and '67 Chevelle, due to being less relevant, as I did not pay full price for either. The key to successful adulthood has nothing to do with what you do for a living or how much money you make. It is about doing all the crazy things you said you would when you were five, regardless of how much it "should" cost. Now available parking space is always a concern, because I could just keep buying crap if I had places to keep it all in one place, but my properties are divided so I don't have an open area of land quite as big as in your photo, Aztec.

I would not label motor vehicles as something I collect, regardless of how many I have though, because comparatively to most other things, they don't interest me whatsoever.

talismandave
06-12-12, 10:18 AM
^^^ I think the blue and white car is actually a '72 T-Bird... Does that ease the pain?

I rolled over in a really cool 1974 Mark IV once. I hit an ice patch from a broken water line on a big curve and I went into the trees on my side. The wrecker pulled the car back straight and it was shaped like a Banana. I drove it on my not-so-merry way with a broken side glass, windshield and buckled roof.
I thought someone did a roof cap on it, now that I look you can see the taillights too! Still evokes the memories though.

talismandave
06-12-12, 10:26 AM
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/The-Dullahan/IMAG0061-1.jpg?t=1324852264 The key to successful adulthood has nothing to do with what you do for a living or how much money you make. It is about doing all the crazy things you said you would when you were five, regardless of how much it "should" cost.
Well said and, Love that look....someday, somewhere, there is a 72 with my name on it! :cloud9:

Aztec ETC ECS
06-12-12, 10:46 AM
I would not label motor vehicles as something I collect, regardless of how many I have
Same here. I collect cash & just use cars to do it.

Nice hurse. You should some HP under the hood & tub it. It would be one-of-a-kind.

Aztec ETC ECS
06-12-12, 01:00 PM
Or 1 of 2, anyway.

http://images1.americanlisted.com/nlarge/1967_hot_rod_hearse_12000_frederick_9296482.jpg

The-Dullahan
06-13-12, 12:32 AM
Same here. I collect cash & just use cars to do it.

Nice hurse. You should some HP under the hood & tub it. It would be one-of-a-kind.

Hearse* I don't collect cars or cash, but something else that allows me to attain both. As for the engine, a custom built high compression Cadillac 500, pulled from a 1970Eldorado and full of performance parts is sitting in the garage ready for the swap, when I get the time to change the rear axle and hook the new trnasmission up to it (Because the engine would tear the stock parts asunder)

As for the uniqueness, that Hearse is actually very different from my own and a Hearse with a performance engine is nothing new. Everyone in the industry has one. My Adoptive Mum used to use a '68 Hearse with a supercharger for charity races. But funny thing about the way you phrased it. "one of two" my car is actually one of only two made the way this one was, save one small detail, as her twin was built with a blue interior.

The-Dullahan
06-13-12, 12:36 AM
Well said and, Love that look....someday, somewhere, there is a 72 with my name on it! :cloud9:

I'd give you mine, but it is already promised to Chad.

ShapeShifter
06-13-12, 01:49 AM
I still actively collect LP Records. Primarily Mono Blue Note LP's from the Bop & Bebop Jazz eras, some 40's Swing, 50's-60's Blues, along with 60's-70's R&B and Soft Rock Artists/Groups . My musical taste are actually pretty broad. It also includes Gospel, Country and some tastefully worded Rap Songs.

Things I didn't intentionally collect but now have sentimental value, or just accumulated over the years:

- Rolex Daytona Cosmograph, 1969 Vintage.
- Movado Museum, 80's Vintage.
- Movado Old Timers, 80's Limited Reproduction.
- 1988 Conquest Tsi, 5-Spd, purchased new.
- Pokemon Limited Edition Gold Plated Trading Cards.
- Several Exotic Skinned Western Boots.
- Sadly, too many damn shoes!

I see Garage Sales and eBay Auctions in my future.

Oh! I've got an alarm system, nosey neighbors and booby traps.

The-Dullahan
06-13-12, 03:58 AM

It may be when it falls into my possession and I say "OOH...you know who would like this (Ten people raise their hands to say they would)...LUKE!"

The-Dullahan
06-13-12, 04:01 AM
I still actively collect LP Records
This caught my eye...

and Pokemon Cards.
...And then it wandered...

brandondeleo
06-13-12, 04:38 AM
Records are a thing of mine, too. Love them. Just picked up this set. Absolutely PERFECT condition. They look like they've never been played. 6 disc set of original Glenn Miller recordings. All of the greats. It's an RCA set. Practically stole them at an antique store in the obscure little town of Cashmere in the North Cascades.
They played really well right out of the box, even before cleaning. They were a little dark, so I swapped the Grado cartridge for my Ortofon cartridge. Lightened it right up, and it sounds like you're back in 1941 listening to Tex Beneke in person. :thumbsup:
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/599155_2862113210837_396796231_n.jpg

ShapeShifter
06-13-12, 06:10 AM
I still actively collect LP Records.

This caught my eye...

and Pokemon Cards

...And then it wandered...
Below is a more accurate representation. lol

I still actively collect LP Records.

........Things I didn't intentionally collect but now have sentimental value, or just accumulated over the years:

- Pokemon Limited Edition Gold Plated Trading Cards......:thumbsup:

ShapeShifter
06-13-12, 07:16 AM
Records are a thing of mine, too. Love them. Just picked up this set. Absolutely PERFECT condition. They look like they've never been played. 6 disc set of original Glenn Miller recordings. All of the greats. It's an RCA set. Practically stole them at an antique store in the obscure little town of Cashmere in the North Cascades.
They played really well right out of the box, even before cleaning. They were a little dark, so I swapped the Grado cartridge for my Ortofon cartridge. Lightened it right up, and it sounds like you're back in 1941 listening to Tex Beneke in person. :thumbsup:
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/599155_2862113210837_396796231_n.jpg
Congrats!:thumbsup: Finds like that don't come along very often. Hardly ever for notable jazz artists from 40's, 50's, and early 60's on the old Blue Note, Prestige, Verve, Impluse and Columbia Labels.

brandondeleo
06-13-12, 07:29 AM
I really need to find a Sinatra record... I'm angry at myself for not having one. I've been having great luck recently with antique store finds. Maybe I'll find one soon.

ShapeShifter
06-13-12, 07:38 AM
Wish ya luck! I'm keeping a keen eye open for some affordable vintage Dean Martin vinyl.

brandondeleo
06-13-12, 07:41 AM
Wish ya luck! I'm keeping a keen eye open for some affordable vintage Dean Martin vinyl.
I'm curious what it would sound like if I were to buy some brand new LPs. I'm very tempted. :lol: How Adele would sound on virgin vinyl might be interesting.

I bet if I looked hard enough I might be able to find a 200g Adele 21 LP. Probably won't be cheap. At all.

ShapeShifter
06-13-12, 07:53 AM
I'm curious what it would sound like if I were to buy some brand new LPs. I'm very tempted. :lol: How Adele would sound on virgin vinyl might be interesting.

I bet if I looked hard enough I might be able to find a 200g Adele 21 LP. Probably won't be cheap. At all.
I've bought some nice sounding reissued LP's @ http://www.soundstagedirect.com/jazz-vinyl-records.shtml?gclid=CIrR2MyRy7ACFQZtKgodWTfXVg Just don't care for reissues that have been so called, "Remastered from Mono to Stereo".

brandondeleo
06-13-12, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the link!

ShapeShifter
06-13-12, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the link!
NP...Nice to see another Vinyl Hound. Happy Hunting!

talismandave
06-13-12, 10:43 AM

I was surprised there wasn't an Earnhardt fan with a comment on that exchange!

Faded Crest
06-13-12, 12:06 PM
I used to collect vintage table lamps, furniture, etc. Didn't really mean to start collecting that stuff, but I kept finding really cool, funky stuff at thrift and antique stores. I most enjoyed finding 1950's atomic style lamps. My favorite was one that looked like the Seattle Space Needle. Probably my favorite because it was one of the cheapest. $5 at a Goodwill. Unfortunately I sold pretty much all of that stuff when we started preparing to move. Here's some of the craziest examples...

I have an unusual sense of humor and would love to see the expression on people's faces when they came over. This stuff is so campy and tacky that it can't help but illicit some kind of reaction. :sneaky:

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd407/thejumpsuitman/loveseat1.jpg
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd407/thejumpsuitman/Pink3tierlamp.jpg
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd407/thejumpsuitman/formicatable2.jpg
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd407/thejumpsuitman/spaceneedlelamp.jpg
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd407/thejumpsuitman/Atomicdishes.jpg
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd407/thejumpsuitman/Pinkorchid.jpg

orconn
06-13-12, 12:22 PM
You may find your Nirvana in Las Vegas! Are you getting closer to moving out West?

Faded Crest
06-13-12, 12:29 PM
Everything has been put on hold for now. Our church needed a piano player and I answered the call... So I leave it in the Lord's hands. My life is not my own.

MrHolland
06-13-12, 01:58 PM
The dishes are awesome!!!

Faded Crest
06-13-12, 02:18 PM
We kept the dishes. Just ate off one not 5 minute ago. :D

CadillacLuke24
06-13-12, 06:13 PM
I agree, they are sweet! I love 50s styling. The atomic themes, the tailfins... :rolleyes:

talismandave
06-13-12, 06:45 PM
i'd give you mine, but it is already promised to chad.

"...Chad...!..."

The-Dullahan
06-14-12, 01:45 AM
^There is no reason the two of you can't settle this like normal, responsible people.
http://www.murphsplace.com/gladiator/images/Police_Verso.jpg

I'll break out one of my thrones (Collect large furniture too) for the occasion and invite everyone to watch.

Stingroo
06-14-12, 01:17 PM
Hung up a few of my Gordon collectibles. They pretty much span from '92 to present. There are still 2 or 3 more boxes to find and empty.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/282263_4298335463231_744972449_n.jpg

Ranger
06-14-12, 09:28 PM
A "few"?

Stingroo
06-14-12, 09:31 PM
wut. how dis post get hear?

ryannel2003
06-14-12, 09:33 PM
Since I was about 3 years old I have been collecting car keys. I have all kinds of them... BMW (besides mine obviously), Jaguar, Toyota, Cadillac, Ford, etc. I haven't really done it for awhile since I've been driving for 6 years, but at one time I had probably 50 or so keys to different types of cars.

I also collect model cars, though most of mine are limited to 1:18 scale. I have a 911, '03 SL 500, Seville STS, Ferrari Enzo, Viper, SC430 (I was like 12 when I got it... no judgements!), Porsche Cayenne, PT Cruiser, Jag S-Type, Audi TT, 2 Mini Cooper's, Lambo Gallardo and a Corvette. I might be missing a few, but those are the main ones.

Stingroo
06-14-12, 09:37 PM
A few. This is just the stuff able to be hung on the wall, and only the first two boxes. This doesn't include my autographed photo, the die casts, the haulers, the stand-up championship trophy figures, and I know I'm still missing several 1:64 cars as well.

Also a flag or two.... Oh, and there's also this:

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/180250_4300301072370_2079616294_n.jpg

brandondeleo
06-14-12, 09:52 PM
Waiting on a new phono cartridge in the mail... Should be here within the week.

CadillacLuke24
06-15-12, 08:30 PM
A few. This is just the stuff able to be hung on the wall, and only the first two boxes. This doesn't include my autographed photo, the die casts, the haulers, the stand-up championship trophy figures, and I know I'm still missing several 1:64 cars as well.

Also a flag or two.... Oh, and there's also this:

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/180250_4300301072370_2079616294_n.jpg

I knew I liked you for a reason :D

talismandave
06-15-12, 11:42 PM
Who are you kidding Luke, you "like" everyone!:bouncy:

Stingroo
06-15-12, 11:59 PM
Hmm....

thebigjimsho
06-17-12, 11:25 PM
It's about damn time! Congrats Dale Jr...

talismandave
06-18-12, 02:24 AM
....and there we have it....:duck:

CadillacLuke24
06-20-12, 03:46 AM
I'll say TBJS. That was decent to see. Now JG needs to get 4 to get into the damn chase. Sheesh, his luck.

The-Dullahan
06-20-12, 06:15 PM
Wow, that's kinda scary, Sting. Not in the way my interior decorating is scary...but it's up there.

thebigjimsho
06-20-12, 07:56 PM
I'll say TBJS. That was decent to see. Now JG needs to get 4 to get into the damn chase. Sheesh, his luck.Not so. The guys with multiple wins in front of him moved up into the top 12. So he should still only need 2-3...

CadillacLuke24
06-21-12, 01:12 AM
That is relieving. Still. I need to send him my JG hoodie I wore when I got a 31 on the ACT, a 24k golden horse shoe, 12 4 leaf clovers, etc.

thebigjimsho
06-21-12, 03:43 PM
Well, ha has been fast at many races so its not like he's been awful. Just bad breaks...

cadillac kevin
06-21-12, 05:04 PM
Since I was about 3 years old I have been collecting car keys. I have all kinds of them... BMW (besides mine obviously), Jaguar, Toyota, Cadillac, Ford, etc. I haven't really done it for awhile since I've been driving for 6 years, but at one time I had probably 50 or so keys to different types of cars.

I also collect model cars, though most of mine are limited to 1:18 scale. I have a 911, '03 SL 500, Seville STS, Ferrari Enzo, Viper, SC430 (I was like 12 when I got it... no judgements!), Porsche Cayenne, PT Cruiser, Jag S-Type, Audi TT, 2 Mini Cooper's, Lambo Gallardo and a Corvette. I might be missing a few, but those are the main ones.

At least you don't have a 1:18 scale super street civic. (Guilty as charged)

CadillacLuke24
06-21-12, 09:15 PM
Well, ha has been fast at many races so its not like he's been awful. Just bad breaks...

I'll say. Flat tires, wrong place at the wrong time. Gordon's been the epitome of Murphy's Law at times this season.

brandondeleo
06-22-12, 03:22 AM
I've finally gotten the long-awaited package... My newest addition to the audio collection is an Empire 1000 ZE/X cartridge (complete).

http://www.vinylengine.com/images/cartridgedb/empire1000zex.jpg

CadillacLuke24
06-22-12, 03:04 PM
Nice! One thing though. What is it?

Faded Crest
06-22-12, 04:08 PM
It's a record player "stylus", or needle cartridge. Don't you remember?... Oh, wait.... Never mind. :(

Brandon, you must be pretty hard-core to invest in a cartridge like that.

cadillac kevin
06-22-12, 04:39 PM
double post

cadillac kevin
06-22-12, 04:40 PM
seriously? you didn't have one of those as a kid?

guess you have no idea what this is then

Faded Crest
06-22-12, 05:00 PM
^^^ The ones I used to buy were yellow.

orconn
06-22-12, 05:17 PM
.... or orange. I needed them to play my Harry Bellafonte 45's on the regular 3 speed High Fi!

Of course in those days we would sit on the screened porch sipping minted iced "Sun Tea" to beat the heat! Oh. yeah, shorts were taboo for boys too! Thank God, they weren't for girls!

cadillac kevin
06-22-12, 05:21 PM
^^^ The ones I used to buy were yellow.
I have a yellow, orange, and IIRC, a red one somewhere.

orconn
06-22-12, 05:30 PM
I have a yellow, orange, and IIRC, a red one somewhere.

Congatulations, Kevin, you have won first prize! See, Jesda for your prize (he has some left over from his last contest!)

talismandave
06-22-12, 06:38 PM
seriously? you didn't have one of those as a kid?

guess you have no idea what this is then
What is with all you youngsters out there....mine were always made out of cast metal not plastic!

The-Dullahan
06-23-12, 01:52 AM
^CadillacForums.com. Once again, making me seem old.

I didn't know those even existed made of plastic. I must own a thousand of those.

CadillacLuke24
06-23-12, 01:57 AM
My mom had one, but she converted all her records to cassettes and sold it. I was about 4 or 5 at the time, so all I remember is that Mom had a giant CD player, and if you nudged the needle it made an entertaining goof in the cassette.

The-Dullahan
06-23-12, 03:46 AM
Cassette Tapes are curious. I have honestly never had to deal with them firsthand (Being an eighties child or not), but have out of curiosity from time to time. It is peculiar though to think that the children being born today will never comprehend what correlation a Cassete tape and two No2 Pencils have, what the SAVE icon used on modern computers was modeled after or what the devil an 8-Track is (Modern children under eighteen probably don't know that last one, to be honest). Records however will not fade into oblivious obscurity until two generations after the last DJ has used them. Personally, I enjoy my Gramophone. Mp3 technology pales in comparison and one can never make an honest sacrifice of class over trendiness.

ShapeShifter
06-23-12, 11:45 AM
I've finally gotten the long-awaited package... My newest addition to the audio collection is an Empire 1000 ZE/X cartridge (complete).

http://www.vinylengine.com/images/cartridgedb/empire1000zex.jpg
Congrats! Nice cartridge.

-------
Those small 45rpm inserts or the taller spindles were much needed for 45 record buyers. Never got into those....have always been into 33⅓ LP’s.

brandondeleo
06-23-12, 11:59 AM
Congrats! Nice cartridge.

-------
Those small 45rpm inserts or the taller spindles were much needed for 45 record buyers. Never got into those....have always been into 33⅓ LP’s.
Thanks!
I don't even own any 45s! :lol:

orconn
06-23-12, 12:09 PM
Brandon, you probably don't own a set of "curb feelers" either!

brandondeleo
06-23-12, 12:11 PM
Get a Nova. Make it look bone stock and original. Dump a 440 in it.

Curb feelers required.

cadillac kevin
06-23-12, 12:18 PM

My lesabre has curb feeler brackets (need to get curb feelers for it)

cadillac kevin
06-23-12, 12:27 PM
Get a Nova. Make it look bone stock and original. Dump a 440 in it.

Curb feelers required.

440s don't go in novas ding dong.
Although before I found out my apollo had really bad undercarriage rot, I wanted to shoehorn a 455 under the hood....imagine rolling up in a ratty shi.t brown with white top 4 door granny car and dusting almost everything in sight

talismandave
06-23-12, 12:45 PM
My lesabre has curb feeler brackets (need to get curb feelers for it)
You should have said something...I think I have a pair, rust free complete. I had bought them for a 56 Century and sold it before using them!

cadillac kevin
06-23-12, 12:54 PM
You should have said something...I think I have a pair, rust free complete. I had bought them for a 56 Century and sold it before using them!

If you could find them, that would be awesome. Whats a pimpmobile without curb feelers?

orconn
06-23-12, 12:57 PM
What is with all you youngsters out there....mine were always made out of cast metal not plastic!

Dave, haven't you figured out that retail turnover in Wisconsin is very slow, those metal 45 adapters were just "NOS!" Everyone else had long gone to plastic!

RippyPartsDept
06-23-12, 01:03 PM
Magic Hat Bottle Caps

I've probably got a couple hundred collected over the last 5 years.

At first I was keeping all of the caps that I got, but after I got to about 50 or so I decided that I only wanted to keep the ones that were cool.

The idea originally was to make a coffee table with the caps on top underneath a glass top (or something similar that showed off the caps)

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/7490/magiccap2.jpg
"Hocus Poke Us" - a play on words from one of my favorite seasonal (retired) Magic Hat brews - Hocus Pocus

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1108/magiccap4.jpg
"Try Not To Be Your Own Enemy"

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/841/magiccap55.jpg
"The Answer Is Yes"

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/4888/magiccap1.jpg
"Are You Content With Where You Went?" - this was the first cap from my first beer after getting home from NYC a couple weeks ago

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/498/magiccap3.jpg
"Glove Before Love" - this one just made me laugh ... read on for the story

Funny story about three of these caps (and the reason that I have pictures of them):

I got the "Hocus" cap one night then the next beer had the "Glove" cap... the third beer had the "Yes" cap

Hocus Poke Us
Glove Before Love
The Answer Is Yes

My sides hurt for a while from laughing so much

I sometimes wonder about what the fourth cap might have said: "Cigarette?"

​fin

The-Dullahan
06-23-12, 02:22 PM
I actually only know a few people who use Curb Feelers and interestingly, they all own small, modern cars with plenty of visibility. Like an HHR and an Avenger.

talismandave
06-23-12, 06:10 PM
If you could find them, that would be awesome. Whats a pimpmobile without curb feelers?
So far it looks bad. I stopped by storage on way to work, not where I remember them to be. Once at work and thinking about it I remembered why. A couple of years ago a co-worker took a two tier table added wheels and was using as a mobile work table. We were kidding around and we decided to pimp her ride. Everyone brought in goofy car stuff for it. Mine was curb feelers. I don't know what happened from there. They could have gone home with someone, been thrown out, or I could have brought them home and put them somewhere else. I will keep an eye out for them at work and home when in my hiding spots. If they turn up, they will head your way.

Submariner409
06-23-12, 07:00 PM

It goes in one of these...................and blows CD's all to hell, sound-wise................ just installed a Lyra Kleos MC cartridge - wonderful !

(I have a pile of red, yellow, black, blue, and 2 metal 45 rpm adapters.)

talismandave
06-23-12, 09:11 PM
Hey Sub, could you post a pic of the metal one? I have torn my place up looking for one of mine so the young guys who don't know them can see one.
Nice set up there!

colleyt
06-24-12, 12:58 AM
std's

thebigjimsho
06-24-12, 03:08 AM
What does the CD own?

brandondeleo
06-24-12, 03:30 AM
440s don't go in novas ding dong.

Umm... http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/featuredvehicles/0704chp_1964_chevy_nova/index.html

Anyway, I picked up a new addition to my record collection today. I freaking love this album. Took it home, cleaned it, and it plays as clear as a bell. It's almost like she's in the room singing to me.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/556113_2901104105585_1755043322_n.jpg

ShapeShifter
06-24-12, 06:25 AM
.....Anyway, I picked up a new addition to my record collection today. I freaking love this album. Took it home, cleaned it, and it plays as clear as a bell. It's almost like she's in the room singing to me.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/556113_2901104105585_1755043322_n.jpg
Another nice find! Janis Joplin, early 70's.

talismandave
06-24-12, 06:26 AM
Good pick! What a voice...what a shame.

brandondeleo
06-24-12, 07:06 AM
Janis died in 1970. Pearl was recorded in 1970 just before her death, and it was released in 1971 posthumously. I love Janis. She was such an awesome artist. Her voice might not have had the tone and smoothness of some singers, but the sheer power and passion in her voice made her one of the true voices of the era.

She had an awesome Porsche.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2b/Janis_Joplin%27s_Porsche_356_convertible.jpg

talismandave
06-24-12, 07:14 AM
The lack of tone and smoothness is exactly why she was such a one of a kind talent. Her rawness can evoke emotions from songs that few others can. The power and the clarity are wonderful.

brandondeleo
06-24-12, 07:20 AM
That's just it... It's raw power and emotion. Let me tell you, listening to Janis on a high quality vinyl setup is a whole different experience from my CDs and MP3s of hers. It feels so much more real. That wonderful imperfection isn't smoothed over; it's right out there for you to hear. I love the short funny tracks like Mercedes Benz, too. :lol:

talismandave
06-24-12, 08:06 AM
Amen Bro! It's been years for me but when I listen to CD I notice the difference.

Submariner409
06-24-12, 08:09 AM
Hey Sub, could you post a pic of the metal one?

Give me a couple days - all the old 45's are packed away. It will take some rooting around. Meantime, try a Google search for "45 rpm record spindle adapter". Look down the page about halfway - see the metal discs with the snap edge - 10 of them on a yellow background ? Like mine. Zinc casting.

http://www.google.com/search?q=45+rpm+record+spindle+adapter&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Qtm&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=XATnT7G6OYSe6AHrxrnhDg&ved=0CGUQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=633

For more home stereo pics, open my albums in the profile in my username. Album #2

brandondeleo
06-24-12, 08:15 AM
It goes in one of these...................and blows CD's all to hell, sound-wise................ just installed a Lyra Kleos MC cartridge - wonderful !

(I have a pile of red, yellow, black, blue, and 2 metal 45 rpm adapters.)
That's a gorgeous machine!

Submariner409
06-24-12, 08:26 AM
That's a gorgeous machine!

The turntable is an Oracle DELPHI-IV, made in Montreal. The tonearm is a SME IV-iv, England. Interconnect is VanDenHul III. The cartridge shown is a Monster Cable Alpha Genesis 2000-II MC (replaced by a Lyra Helikon MC; replaced last week with a Lyra Kleos MC).

At today's retail prices that complete turntable setup would go for about $13,000+.

EDIT at 8:35 - This will whet your appetite for the High End in music reproduction..........price is for the turntable alone - the SME tonearms are at the bottom of the page. Then add a $3,000 cartridge...............

http://www.needledoctor.com/Oracle-Delphi-MK-VI-Turntable

talismandave
06-24-12, 08:31 AM
Thank's that did the trick! Great looking system you have there. I haven't had the pleasure of hearing something that beautiful in years.(Decades?)
Being relativly new to this interweb thingie I sometimes forget you can find anything out there.
Yup... those are the ones I have somewhere.

brandondeleo
06-24-12, 08:34 AM
The turntable is an Oracle DELPHI-IV, made in Montreal. The tonearm is a SME IV-iv, England. Interconnect is VanDenHul III. The cartridge shown is a Monster Cable Alpha Genesis 2000-II MC (replaced by a Lyra Helikon MC; replaced last week with a Lyra Kleos MC).

At today's retail prices that complete turntable setup would go for about $13,000+.
Daayyuumm. That's sweet. My turntable, parts, and cartridges all together would go for roughly $2k. I do have a second identical turntable in a box in the closet just in case something goes wrong, too. :lol: Maybe I'll set both up next to each other and have turntable twins!

Submariner409
06-24-12, 08:45 AM
It's an addictive hobby - and love of music: all music from Beethoven to Brubeck to Dylan to CCR to Hendrix to Starship to Sinatra, Sibelius and Alan Jackson.

I just bought a turntable for a grandson (music major at ODU and hooked on vinyl) - it's a Music Hall setup for $250 - cartridge, arm and all - the beauty of it is that it sounds good and has a USB cable/interface so you can archive your vinyl straight to DVD or computer. Several other audio electronics companies make in-line black boxes for about $175 that incorporate a USB output in addition to line level RCA interconnect - used for the same archiving in an existing turntable setup. Karen burns vinyl music to her iPod.

Johnxlrv
06-24-12, 08:53 AM
It's a record player "stylus", or needle cartridge. Don't you remember?... Oh, wait.... Never mind. :(

Brandon, you must be pretty hard-core to invest in a cartridge like that.

Not so long ago, I pulled out my Floyd vinyl collection and got a quote from my daughter..."dad, CD's were HUGE back then!" ;)

So, to ask the question to our vinyl folks out there...how many paid extra for the master recording?

brandondeleo
06-24-12, 09:13 AM
Not so long ago, I pulled out my Floyd vinyl collection and got a quote from my daughter..."dad, CD's were HUGE back then!" ;)

So, to ask the question to our vinyl folks out there...how many paid extra for the master recording?
:drool:

I want The Wall on vinyl...

Submariner409
06-24-12, 09:58 AM

Japanese pressings were fairly easy to find - Tower Records used to carry several different pressings of the same album. Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab was the originator of the label "Original Master Recording" - I have 40 or 50 unopened MFSL albums from the 80's and 90's. The Dire Straits album Brothers In Arms - I have five different pressings of that one alone. Even today it's amazing what you run across at yard sales or used vinyl shops.

thebigjimsho
06-24-12, 10:07 AM
I miss Tower Records...

Submariner409
06-24-12, 10:11 AM
I dropped a bundle over the years at the Tower near GWU in DC. 2 huge floors of nothing but vinyl.

cadillac kevin
06-24-12, 10:58 AM

Not me

Also, I really like The Final Cut.

cadillaxe
06-24-12, 11:54 AM
motorcycles
-'00 hd sportster
-'00 aprilia mille
-10 bmw s1000rr

guitars
-fender 12 st acoustic
-martin acoustic/electric
-gibson les paul

guns
-S&W k22
-S&W 29-2
-single shot .410
-Remington S541
-winchester 10 ga 1887
-springfield XD .40
-colt ar15 6920 w/ eotech

and of course had to combine two of the hobbies into one new one...

drewsdeville
06-24-12, 12:43 PM
The AR's are sure have gained a lot of popularity among civilians. I never thought anything would ever be able to de-throne the AK platform.

cadillaxe
06-24-12, 12:51 PM
The AR's are sure have gained a lot of popularity among civilians. I never thought anything would ever be able to de-throne the AK platform.

Is amazing how mainstream these ar's have gotten. I was pretty jazzed to get mine new in the box considering they quit making this model. I'd always grab a pistol if i heard noise in the dwelling, but with that eotech 512 on the AR, the target acquisition and accuracy is amazing. plus the bullets tend to tumble a little not being as bad for wall penetration as I'd originally suspected.

brandondeleo
06-25-12, 03:37 AM
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned before... My grandpa is an audiophile (with tons of money) and he and I are very close. I get 90% of my stuff from him, but I occasionally make an investment myself. Most of this ridiculously high $$$ stuff I have sure hasn't come out of my broke as pocket. :lol: Anywho, here's a picture of all of the cartridges. There's my Grado cartridge, the new Empire 1000 SE/X, the Ortofon FF 15 XE MkII cartridge, and the green Nagaoka. That one's interesting because my grandpa has a friend who worked at Nagaoka for a long time, and that particular cartridge is a prototype that was never put into production. Then those are my brushes. The Tonar one I picked up online for like $30, and the Hunt one is a little older, but it has a large felt pad in the center of the brush, and I use it for cleaning the records.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i419/brandondeleo/IMG_20120624_174015.jpg
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i419/brandondeleo/IMG_20120624_175059.jpg

The-Dullahan
06-25-12, 04:26 AM
:drool:

I want The Wall on vinyl...

One I refused to part with in the move South. I was only able to keep a very small handful.

The-Dullahan
06-25-12, 04:32 AM
Weapons? Ooh, I have oodles of those. Greatest investment I could make. Sneaking them around in guitar cases sounds like the shenanigans I would get into, if I could get it to work, but I have never had to and usually do not need to sneak them about. From experience though, in one particular circumstance where weaponry for a small outfit of us was required and we has no idea as to how to get them where we needed them to be, sneaking weapons into someplace works best in the particularly inconspicuous hiding place beneath a lady's dress. Virtually no one would suspect to look there and it was convenient. Alas, my youth...good times with bad company.

cadillaxe
06-25-12, 05:47 AM
Weapons? Ooh, I have oodles of those. Greatest investment I could make. Sneaking them around in guitar cases sounds like the shenanigans I would get into, if I could get it to work, but I have never had to and usually do not need to sneak them about. From experience though, in one particular circumstance where weaponry for a small outfit of us was required and we has no idea as to how to get them where we needed them to be, sneaking weapons into someplace works best in the particularly inconspicuous hiding place beneath a lady's dress. Virtually no one would suspect to look there and it was convenient. Alas, my youth...good times with bad company.

not trying to sneak the guns somewhere they shouldn't be. Not sure they're allowed in the apt (though I'm in TX so have a hard time believing that), so does't raise eyebrows during apt inspections or when the dogwalker has to come by when out of town. just looks like a bunch of guitars in the corner.

good times with bad company making bad decisions is no way to live, but was a lot of fun in college...and a while afterward as well. :)

brandondeleo
06-25-12, 10:52 AM
Just bought another trumpet mouthpiece online. Trumpets/trumpet stuff is my other collecting area. I play a 1957 FE Olds Opera Premiere big bore concert nickel plated horn, and a 1930 Cleveland Superior silver pea shooter.

The-Dullahan
06-25-12, 11:01 AM
not trying to sneak the guns somewhere they shouldn't be. Not sure they're allowed in the apt (though I'm in TX so have a hard time believing that), so does't raise eyebrows during apt inspections or when the dogwalker has to come by when out of town. just looks like a bunch of guitars in the corner.

good times with bad company making bad decisions is no way to live, but was a lot of fun in college...and a while afterward as well. :)

Oh no. My decisions were definitely good and while "Questionable at best" my company were always good people when it came down to it and I still recognize them as adopted family.

While unlike Brandonn, I have lost my own trumpet, I still have two mouthpieces for it. Plenty of other instruments in the music room, but I have never purchased a second trumpet.

The-Dullahan
06-25-12, 11:02 AM
awesome forum-glitch-double-post

brandondeleo
06-25-12, 11:07 AM
While unlike Brandonn, I have lost my own trumpet, I still have two mouthpieces for it. Plenty of other instruments in the music room, but I have never purchased a second trumpet.
You play? AWESOME. You should tell me What brand/size the mouthpieces are. Might be looking for more... :thumbsup:

Ralph
06-25-12, 12:48 PM
how tiny do the pics have to be in here. Won't post. I have some early 1970's Matchbox "yellow and blue box" cars. Tons of LP albums, most of the Rolling Stones, and a rare Beatles album.

brandondeleo
06-25-12, 01:05 PM
rare Beatles album.
Which?

orconn
06-25-12, 03:03 PM
I have collected 1/18 die cast model cars sin the very 1980's when my 3 year old son gave me a Burago Ferrari Test Rosa. At the same time I began to collect 1/43 Rolls-Royce models which I displayed in a large glass top cocktail; table in our den. The Rolls collection ended up being around 20 cars and was packed up when we moved from California to Virginia and, while I know it is in a box in the garage, I haven't seen it since.

However, the 1/18 collection burgeoned, first with a collection of red sport cars which traces the evolution of sport scar design from the early teens to the late 1990's. Ferrari's, Jaguars, Mercedes, Alfas, Corvettes etc ..... all red! About 25 cars in all, but they tool were packed up when we moved from Great Falls to Richmond. I had also been building an 1/18 collection of Jaguars and now have every mass produced Jag from the XK 120 o the XK8 and various sedans. The collection takes up four shelves (2 1/2 feet wide) and is pretty complete with the exception of 1950's Mark VII to IX sedans. I also have a selection of 7 Lamborghini's of different models from the 350 GT to the latest sedan.

By far the biggest, and most ridiculous collection, which I started right after I bought my new '02 Mercedes CLK. the rational behind this collection was that since Mercedes was the oldest cat maker still in existence their cars would represent the broadest representation of the various trend in auto design from the turn of the last century to the present. There are probably more Mercedes 1/18th models available that of any other make. Pavlovian collecting these models I have ended up with over 100 models which placed end to end now reach the length of ten feet and are three rows deep along the top of one section of bookshelves in my library.

Smaller, but to be honest my favorite, is my collection of American cars showing the different styles of luxury cars made in the United States from the thirties through the late fifties. It starts with a 1932 Cadillac V-16 phaeton and end with ends with a 1962 Lincoln Continental four door convertible. It includes a 1938 V-16 Town Car, '46, '49, '59, 53 Eldorado's (all convertibles), a '56 Contental MkII, a '57 Eldorado Brougham, a couple of Packards from the classic era, and a 1963 Eldorado convertible ( a '37 Cord and a Dusenberg are also included). All these model cars are black in color and I think a pretty good representation of the best American design of the '30s, 40's, 50's and '60s and '70's.

These collections are the result of 30 years accumulation of impulse buying! I would like to think my grandson's would enjoy these collections .... but I don't think their mother would be willing to let them have them! Too bad I guess I will just have to sell them off at some point!

CadillacLuke24
06-25-12, 03:52 PM
When you sell them off, come here first :D

That's awesome though. Your son got you started, and now it's massive!

orconn
06-25-12, 04:11 PM
It is interesting that now these 1/18 models have gotten expensive. It used to be that list price was $18.00 and they could be had at Toys R Us and Kaybee on sale for $6 or $7. Last time I was in Toys R Us they weren't carrying them anymore and I think Kaybee went out of business. On Ebay they go for $8 to a couple of hundred. But even when they are cheap the S/H gets you.

Kev
06-25-12, 04:12 PM
Re: What do you collect?paychecks

preferably one at a time

talismandave
06-25-12, 08:04 PM
That is really neat Orconn. I started collecting 1/18 scale in the 80's when I was at Menards. We would get 6 or 7 models each year and I bought one of every car and color. When I moved the last time I decided to toss out the original packaging after moving and storing for twentysome years. Put up shelves for them and enjoyed them. One day I looked at them and realized I had no tie or affection for what I had, most were just whatever there was to buy.
since getting the internet I have been buying cars that have some significance to me and packing up old ones in the box the new one came in. (wish I had save the orig. pkg a few more years, big money) One of these days I will take the time to list them on ebay.
My latest hobby was taking whatever I could buy and modifying it to look like cars I owned. Only got a couple done before I bought the 1/1 scale Talisman to work on!:bigroll:

Jesda
06-25-12, 08:14 PM
I miss Tower Records...

Me too. There was one in Bellevue WA that I used to frequent. A hooters was on the very top level.

Discovered a lot of music there.

cadillaxe
06-25-12, 08:32 PM
kinda forgot about toys. Parents still have my star wars collection at home. 100 figures (yes some duplicates), jabba, rancor, ewok village, original death star and xwing, blue tie fighter, a couple speed bikes, at-at, scout walker, jabba's band.

i'll await the "nerd" ridicule now.

orconn
06-25-12, 08:43 PM
My son still had almost all of his "Star Wars" toys when he and his wife moved into their first house. I told him the time had come for him to "house" his own collections. He moved them over to his place and promply sold most of the collection on Ebay. He said he got really good prices for different pieces. It occurred to me that he might have offered to split some of the profits seeing as his mother and I had stored them all these years and paid to move them from L.A. to Virginia, but somehow this didn't cross his mind!

brandondeleo
06-25-12, 08:59 PM
Me too. There was one in Bellevue WA that I used to frequent. A hooters was on the very top level.

Discovered a lot of music there.
Yet another reason to love Bellevue. :thumbsup:

cadillaxe
06-25-12, 09:02 PM
My son still had almost all of his "Star Wars" toys when he and his wife moved into their first house. I told him the time had come for him to "house" his own collections. He moved them over to his place and promply sold most of the collection on Ebay. He said he got really good prices for different pieces. It occurred to me that he might have offered to split some of the profits seeing as his mother and I had stored them all these years and paid to move them from L.A. to Virginia, but somehow this didn't cross his mind!

too funny. i owned a house for a few years first time i lived in TX, and dad always reminded me about my collection back home. Been in apts ever since, so have that excuse. If they end up forcing them on me, would probably fleabay the whole works too. tempted to see what they'd be worth. have to believe it's one of the most extensive collections out there right now.

Kev
06-25-12, 09:41 PM
My son still had almost all of his "Star Wars" toys when he and his wife moved into their first house. I told him the time had come for him to "house" his own collections. He moved them over to his place and promply sold most of the collection on Ebay. He said he got really good prices for different pieces. It occurred to me that he might have offered to split some of the profits seeing as his mother and I had stored them all these years and paid to move them from L.A. to Virginia, but somehow this didn't cross his mind!Where did you go wrong?

:coffee:

Kev
06-25-12, 09:43 PM
When I moved out of my folks home I hauled all my crap with me. I didn't have to, my dad would have gladly made a trip to the dump ....

cadillaxe
06-25-12, 10:09 PM
When I moved out of my folks home I hauled all my crap with me. I didn't have to, my dad would have gladly made a trip to the dump ....

only reason i've gotten away with it is my old room sits idle collecting dust. is surprising now that you mention it though.

The-Dullahan
06-26-12, 02:00 AM
Same way my family works, Kev. When you are sixteen, you start paying rent. At eighteen, you receive the only birth

The same rules applied to anything else. Like new clothes or shoes? You may get hand-me-downs if you are fortunate (Being the last of four brothers, I was beyond that hope) or you have to buy your own. I also never developed any sort of food I do not like, and will gladly eat whatever is prepared, as my Mum did not make special meals for anyone.

"Allergy? Better grow out of it."

"Showed up to dinner late? What dinner?"

Accompany all of this with that we were expected to do our school ever day (Usually multiple days worth of school at once, which is why we all graduated at least a year early), do our chores, which included shoveling all of the porches and the entire drive (We owned many acres, so it was fairly long) cutting firewood, helping raise the younger children and of course, all being expected to follow my Mum's number one command "GET A JOB".

One day I will have children. When they are five, they will be given two options. "Get a Job" or "Move Out" Proper Parenting 101.

brandondeleo
06-26-12, 03:28 AM
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/564009_2906628443690_598171821_n.jpg

Jesda
06-26-12, 05:59 AM
Yet another reason to love Bellevue. :thumbsup:

And the 90s.

Back then we could jump in the car and make a day trip to Seattle just to shop and eat and make it home by midnight. The cost of gas was nothing!

cadillaxe
06-26-12, 06:07 AM
Same way my family works, Kev. When you are sixteen, you start paying rent. At eighteen, you receive the only birth

The same rules applied to anything else. Like new clothes or shoes? You may get hand-me-downs if you are fortunate (Being the last of four brothers, I was beyond that hope) or you have to buy your own. I also never developed any sort of food I do not like, and will gladly eat whatever is prepared, as my Mum did not make special meals for anyone.

"Allergy? Better grow out of it."

"Showed up to dinner late? What dinner?"

Accompany all of this with that we were expected to do our school ever day (Usually multiple days worth of school at once, which is why we all graduated at least a year early), do our chores, which included shoveling all of the porches and the entire drive (We owned many acres, so it was fairly long) cutting firewood, helping raise the younger children and of course, all being expected to follow my Mum's number one command "GET A JOB".

One day I will have children. When they are five, they will be given two options. "Get a Job" or "Move Out" Proper Parenting 101.

That's awesome! You grow up in the midwest too? first paper route, 2nd grade. 7th grade started two daily morning routes. 9th grade job at store 30hrs/week/school, 60 hrs/week/summer. all through high school up at 4:30 for routes, into store to cook or put up groceries, work after school, lift weights, two shifts saturday. if i wanted something including more food than was on the table, i bought it.

i didn't complain at the time, but i didn't realize just how valuable it was until later. i'll say it was the best upbringing i could have had. taught me value of hard work and independence i needed later. Only thing is now if i have too much food, i can forced with not wanting to waste food at all, but then i eat too much and feel rotten.

thebigjimsho
06-26-12, 08:21 AM
And the 90s.

Back then we could jump in the car and make a day trip to Seattle just to shop and eat and make it home by midnight. The cost of gas was nothing!

Yeah, my first few years out of high school, my parents gave me an Exxon credit card to use for gas. It was around $1 per gallon and they didn't care.

If I had that now? :drool:

Ralph
06-26-12, 11:30 PM
Which?

Yesterday and Today, (trunk cover, 1965)

DouglasJRizzo
07-01-12, 08:44 AM
Hearses. I collect and love my hearses.
Love my cads but finding a pre 80s Lincoln hearse has been a real challenge to say the least.

Thunderbirds are also in there too.

cadillaxe
07-02-12, 06:56 AM
Hearses. I collect and love my hearses.
Love my cads but finding a pre 80s Lincoln hearse has been a real challenge to say the least.

Thunderbirds are also in there too.

can't remember the breed, but the ghostbusters hearse would make a nice add to your collection:yup:

brandondeleo
07-02-12, 07:09 AM
The Ghostbusters ambulance was a Caddy, if I remember right it looked like ~1959?

cadillaxe
07-02-12, 07:13 AM
The Ghostbusters ambulance was a Caddy, if I remember right it looked like ~1959?

nuts-on. Ecto–1 is a 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor[53] limo-style endloader combination car (ambulance conversion). for some reason, i'd thought it'd been a hearse, then again that was a loooooong time ago.

brandondeleo
07-02-12, 07:25 AM
Ecto–1 is a 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor[53] limo-style endloader combination car (ambulance conversion).
Wikpedia FTW!

cadillaxe
07-02-12, 12:43 PM
Wikpedia FTW!

damn skippy, just ask wiki!

The-Dullahan
07-04-12, 05:15 AM
The 1959 Miller Meteor credited as being an Ambulance over a Hearse is a constant thing, wrought primarily for two reasons.

The first and more obvious is the colour, which looks more like what one would expect from an ambulance. Interestingly, the car was originally black and violet, but the producers realized it looked horrible on camera, as the car was mostly only scheduled for scenes in the dark. They opted to have it painted white and red shortly thereafter.

The second is that most people who research things find the term "combination" which is really an industry term and can apply to cars that served exclusively as an ambulance or exclusively as a Hearse, but were manufactured in a "combination" design and are thereby classified as such.

The original Ecto-1 that is the one used in Ghostbusters, is canonically referred to as a Hearse and never as an Ambulance, though it was painted white, it's first appearance in the film was with it still being black and the nail in the coffin, the actual car used in the film was indeed a 1959 Miller Meteor Combination, but was formerly owned exclusively by a small Funeral Home from...where else, the Hearse Capital of the world, Central Pennsylvania (Where all the '59 Hearses are including mine)

Therefore, one may call it an ambulance by it's technical specifications or by it's colouration, but the car was never an in service as or in use as an ambulance, and it's entire service life was as a black Limo-Style Hearse used by a small Funeral Home (I believe the name was Wellington, but that is merely the name used in my lifetime, it may have had another name in the fifties). It was and forever shall be, a Hearse...even if it is red and white.

Who needs Wikipedia? They're the same asshats that call this a "1970" in spite of how painfully obvious it is that that is clearly a stock 1990 Federal with sucky paint... Kids these days.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d2/1970sCadillacHearseKDoe.jpg/1024px-1970sCadillacHearseKDoe.jpg

As for Thunderbirds, not really too knowledgeable about those (compared to the things I would consider myself knowledgeable about, but my '72 bears a lot in common with it's Ford sister, the Thunderbird, but the car is not nearly finicky enough to make me have to learn about it.

cadillaxe
07-04-12, 05:32 AM
The 1959 Miller Meteor credited as being an Ambulance over a Hearse is a constant thing, wrought primarily for two reasons.

The first and more obvious is the colour, which looks more like what one would expect from an ambulance. Interestingly, the car was originally black and violet, but the producers realized it looked horrible on camera, as the car was mostly only scheduled for scenes in the dark. They opted to have it painted white and red shortly thereafter.

The second is that most people who research things find the term "combination" which is really an industry term and can apply to cars that served exclusively as an ambulance or exclusively as a Hearse, but were manufactured in a "combination" design and are thereby classified as such.

The original Ecto-1 that is the one used in Ghostbusters, is canonically referred to as a Hearse and never as an Ambulance, though it was painted white, it's first appearance in the film was with it still being black and the nail in the coffin, the actual car used in the film was indeed a 1959 Miller Meteor Combination, but was formerly owned exclusively by a small Funeral Home from...where else, the Hearse Capital of the world, Central Pennsylvania (Where all the '59 Hearses are including mine)

Therefore, one may call it an ambulance by it's technical specifications or by it's colouration, but the car was never an in service as or in use as an ambulance, and it's entire service life was as a black Limo-Style Hearse used by a small Funeral Home (I believe the name was Wellington, but that is merely the name used in my lifetime, it may have had another name in the fifties). It was and forever shall be, a Hearse...even if it is red and white.

Who needs Wikipedia? They're the same asshats that call this a "1970" in spite of how painfully obvious it is that that is clearly a stock 1990 Federal with sucky paint...

i feel better about remembering it as a hearse, though not as good about the fact that i relied on the not-so-accurate wiki over my own memory.

The-Dullahan
07-04-12, 05:45 AM
No worries. Just remember: when in doubt, never trust the system. If you feel strongly about something you feel you should know a lot about, chances are you are correct. The information from sources such as Wikipedia are compiled theories or beliefs from a large group of less-than-experts and in many cases, those incredibly far from it (Have you the slightest idea how many people think a Miller-Meteor is a vehicle produced as a Hearse or Ambulance by Cadillac? As is the "Superior" of course... :bigroll: )

Relative to the lack of knowledge of people and Miller-Meteor Limo-style Hearses, I've an interesting tale to share.

At an event once, I happened across another Hearse, not too different from my '87. It was an '87 as well (though it had all of the work done to make it appear as a 1990+) but it was a Miller Meteor, specifically a Limo-style Hearse with a third window. This was very comical to me, though only I understood why. You see, the registered owner had no idea what the car was called, that Cadillac did not make factory Hearses, that there were separate companies making them, what the differences between the countries were and both the terms "Fleetwood" and "Brougham" were alien to him entirely (Which makes me wonder if he ever read his vehicle registration). He had done his up to resemble the Ecto-1, which was so deliciously ironic to me, seeing as it bore more in common with the original than he thought.

Throughout the evening, as people passed by our cars (which were parked only a few spaces apart with a "Christine" '58 Plymouth and an empty parking space between us) I heard many people remark that his car was "The Car from Ghostbusters!!!!!!!!!1111111111!!!!!!!1111" but chose not to bother informing them otherwise. One particular group caught my eye though as a girl from the group said "Wait, isn't that a Hearse?" to which a male from the group said "No, THAT's a Hearse." (pointing at my car, which was obviously a near-identical car to the supposed Ecto-1) and an epic facepalm ensued.

For fun, here's the EctoBrougham

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/The-Dullahan/100_0872.jpg?t=1287376207

A while back, this car showed up in Kissimmee as a Halloween Decoration at the same family-tourist-trap-type area that hosts the weekly antique car show (Though not nearly antique enough to be IN the actual show) and again in my current home town, which is relatively tiny, if you measure by population rather than landmass. The owner seemed surprised I knew of this, but seriously, even the ones I have no explanation for, there are NOT Hearses in my area I am unaware of. Ever. It's a gift.

RippyPartsDept
07-05-12, 10:31 AM
well if you corrected wikipedia that would make it better... or you could just rail against how it's always wrong

either way works for me ... it's your time and effort

The-Dullahan
07-05-12, 07:35 PM
I have, RPD, I really have. To no avail however, as people go back on and muck it up again. There are a few articles I have corrected and had them stay that way. Likewise, there are articles I removed information from, even though it was correct at the time, but I had a good reason at least, in that it implicated me in particular in something I would rather not be associated with or have presumptuous connections to.

Submariner409
07-08-12, 08:34 PM
Outta here.............. time to go warm up the tubes and spin some Dire Straits vinyl.

(Anyone see where The Marshall Tucker Band is releasing their new albums on vinyl ? ....... Searchin' For A Rainbow.............Fire On The Mountain )

brandondeleo
07-11-12, 01:37 AM
My three new records I traded for yesterday. Listening to Smokey at this moment, actually.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/547997_2954783567538_1838302106_n.jpg
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/426853_2957967367131_375803046_n.jpg

brandondeleo
07-11-12, 01:52 AM
I want to get my hands on some Ray Charles and some Pink Floyd now.

thebigjimsho
07-11-12, 07:21 AM
Saturday Night Fever was my very first record, I believe...

talismandave
07-11-12, 11:03 AM
Outta here.............. time to go warm up the tubes and spin some Dire Straits vinyl.

(Anyone see where The Marshall Tucker Band is releasing their new albums on vinyl ? ....... Searchin' For A Rainbow.............Fire On The Mountain )
One of the best albums ever is their self titled first album. If I were limited to only ten albums for the rrest of my life it would be one of them. Hmm...thread idea?...:bulb:

I was lucky enough to see Marshall Tucker Band at a great concert in 77 at Milwaukee County Stadium.
It was Fleetwood Mac, Marshall Tucker Band, Sanford Townsend Band(Smoke From A Distant Fire), and one other band that slips my addled mind at this time. Great outdoor concert on a perfect evening.

talismandave
07-11-12, 11:25 AM
I want to get my hands on some Ray Charles and some Pink Floyd now.
Best Ray Charles ever....Ray Charles, Modern Sounds In Country and Western, and Ray Charles Modern Sounds In Country And Western Volume Two.

brandondeleo
07-11-12, 01:22 PM
Best Ray Charles ever....Ray Charles, Modern Sounds In Country and Western, and Ray Charles Modern Sounds In Country And Western Volume Two.
That set is at my local record shop. I looked at the tracks, not bad at all. It's just not that I'm looking for. I'm looking for '53 up to '61.

Kev
07-12-12, 12:32 AM
My kids have started collecting vinyl. We spent the 4th thru the 8th with my daughter and SIL in Reno, most of the time at thrift stores, searching though the records. I became the chief QC inspector for my youngest; "Is this group good? How's the record? Is it Ok? Should I buy it?"

I really like CD's ......

brandondeleo
07-13-12, 03:26 AM
On the subject of ambulances/hearses, look what I spotted in Cle Elum today...

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/523711_2962878289901_1527904388_n.jpg

I picked this up today. Had my eye on it for a little while. The lettering is traditional Chinese. I think the lyrics printed on the back of the slip are translated awkwardly because there are tons of mistakes in the lyrics. One of the tracks is printed "What Kind Of Man Are Yon" :lol:
I can't find any information on this album... I have a few friends fluent in Chinese, and I emailed them to see if there's anything else in the lettering.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/563884_2962891330227_1508784031_n.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/531386_2963630228699_656247834_n.jpg

talismandave
07-13-12, 09:14 AM
Both items...very cool!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-13-12, 09:41 AM
I have a goal this summer to try out one new bar/restaurant every week. Not so much a collection of anything per se, but it's cool to try out new places to eat.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-13-12, 09:45 AM
One of the best albums ever is their self titled first album. If I were limited to only ten albums for the rrest of my life it would be one of them. Hmm...thread idea?...:bulb:

I am an avid Dire Straits fan. I've gotta say that their self titled 1978 debut album is one of the best debut albums of all time, but my favorite Dire Straits album is 1979's Communique. However, that being said, Sultans of Swing is a highlight of their early career.

talismandave
07-13-12, 10:05 AM
I enjoy both of those, in truth I probably listen to Making Movies more than any. Great upbeat driving tunes.:bouncy: I think the reason I would choose the debut album is, it is (as with most groups) the least polished and "produced" product.
Mark Knopfler is still making some of the best music of his life solo.:thumbsup:

Kev
07-13-12, 10:08 AM
I picked this up today. Had my eye on it for a little while. The lettering is traditional Chinese. I think the lyrics printed on the back of the slip are translated awkwardly because there are tons of mistakes in the lyrics. One of the tracks is printed "What Kind Of Man Are Yon" :lol:
I can't find any information on this album... I have a few friends fluent in Chinese, and I emailed them to see if there's anything else in the lettering.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/563884_2962891330227_1508784031_n.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/531386_2963630228699_656247834_n.jpgEarlier example of Chinese pirating? Hmm ...

brandondeleo
07-14-12, 03:14 AM
Earlier example of Chinese pirating? Hmm ...

Whatever it is, it's cool! :lol:

RippyPartsDept
07-14-12, 11:01 AM
now that i think about it.... that's not chinese... it's Japanese

japan is known for it's album imports (generic sense of the word album not necessarily vinyl)

they are often more sought-after than the US version due to additional tracks etc (plus being more rare)

The-Dullahan
07-14-12, 01:24 PM
There is a guy someplace near here with a Hearse like that for sale (In better shape) and two vintage Ambulances. Have not had the time to track him down, but I recall seeing his advertisements for all three of them on the community board at the CLC Grand National meet and him having the same area code as me.

brandondeleo
07-15-12, 04:16 AM
now that i think about it.... that's not chinese... it's Japanese

japan is known for it's album imports (generic sense of the word album not necessarily vinyl)

they are often more sought-after than the US version due to additional tracks etc (plus being more rare)
It could be Japanese production, but the lettering is traditional pre-simplification Chinese.

RippyPartsDept
07-15-12, 10:42 PM
hmmm - okay

brandondeleo
07-16-12, 03:17 PM
Today's record. 1973 first printing.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/394650_2973006263094_2129121593_n.jpg

Submariner409
07-16-12, 04:00 PM
This fits right into the subject for the day..........just found out that 3 used-to-be car audio installer buddies have opened a new and used vinyl shop in Annapolis, just east of the statehouse on Maryland Ave. Hands-on checkout comes Thursday.

The-Dullahan
07-16-12, 04:00 PM
Skulls. Whatever the species, it is all the same, I own many, many of these. And wooden or wrought iron furniture. Can never have enough of any of that.

Eldorado Mack 98
07-16-12, 08:22 PM
This is my 1st ever post in this forum basically because I could not decide where else to post first.

I have a modest collection of High end Air Jordan & Nike shoes. Certainly More than enough in great condition to last a lifetime.

There are no plans of ceasing this obsessive sneaker disorder, even as retail prices creep higher & higher.

But the thrill of the chase & inevitable capture, the appreciation of the craftsmanship, innovation, & creativity put into each individual design, bragging rights of what one owns and contrarily the envy of what one wishes could be added is what fuels my passion.

The-Dullahan
07-16-12, 11:49 PM
^Someplace in New York, I have a 22 year old nephew like you.

Personally, I prefer to have one pair of shoes at a time. My current boots are getting ready to retire and be sacrificed in the creation of my next set.

cadillaxe
07-17-12, 05:58 AM
^Someplace in New York, I have a 22 year old nephew like you.

Personally, I prefer to have one pair of shoes at a time. My current boots are getting ready to retire and be sacrificed in the creation of my next set.

1 pr of redwing engineer boots for work, new balance running shoes for gym, flip flops with bottle opener on bottom for pool, and an old pair of lace up redwings for tactical rifle/pistol events.

Submariner409
07-17-12, 07:52 AM
......... after that damn wind storm 2 weeks ago I think I'm in the chainsaw chain collection business - somehow the local populace has found out that I have a chain sharpener. (It pays for bourbon...................)

RippyPartsDept
07-17-12, 09:57 AM
Sub, could you send 'admin' a PM for me RE: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/site-news-feedback-questions-suggestions/264730-help-upgrade-platinum.html

talismandave
07-17-12, 10:44 AM
This is my 1st ever post in this forum basically because I could not decide where else to post first.

I have a modest collection of High end Air Jordan & Nike shoes. Certainly More than enough in great condition to last a lifetime.

There are no plans of ceasing this obsessive sneaker disorder, even as retail prices creep higher & higher.

But the thrill of the chase & inevitable capture, the appreciation of the craftsmanship, innovation, & creativity put into each individual design, bragging rights of what one owns and contrarily the envy of what one wishes could be added is what fuels my passion.
You are only the second person I heard of to collect them. The first being the guy on Pawn Stars. I never heard of it before that. All the things you list sound the same as with all collections. I could substitute watch for sneaker and you just told my story!
Welcome to the Cadillac Forum and look forward to hearing more from you!

RippyPartsDept
07-17-12, 11:03 AM
Nike collections (Air Jordans and Air Force Ones) are a pretty common... I kind of get it since I used to collect my Pumas

but I would wear mine ... the collectors keep theirs mint

talismandave
07-17-12, 11:06 AM
I am learning that and seeing it in a lot of different places on TV lately!

RippyPartsDept
07-17-12, 11:08 AM
i think the character Turtle on the show Entourage collects Nikes

talismandave
07-17-12, 11:14 AM
I missed that one. It has shown up in several of the storage locker shows though.

RippyPartsDept
07-17-12, 12:38 PM
yeah i bet it does...

btw, sorry for kind of hijacking your thread in the feedback forum ... i tried contacting the admin a few different ways before resorting to thread jacking ... i was at the end of the rope
and funny thing is that's where they responded
Sal hasn't responded to any of the emails i've sent him and the new site owners haven't responded via email to the 'contact us' message that I sent

anyways, sorry about that - i'm sure you understand

talismandave
07-17-12, 12:42 PM
No Prob. I was taken care of already.:cool2:

brandondeleo
07-18-12, 11:24 PM
Record of the day:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/311617_2981122625998_1931994625_n.jpg

talismandave
07-19-12, 12:37 AM
Great album. I miss the seventies. Disco was very good to me....
Especially a couple of local Motels that would have DJs or bands. Business women were very kind and while all my friends wasted their money buying beer for college girls in dirty pubs, I was having Tanquery tini's bought for me by lovely middle aged women. All for a kind word, a little attention and a dance.

The next day they were gone to their next town.
As my one buddy says. "The beauty of married women....They didn't swell, and they didn't tell."
Oh great album too!

ShapeShifter
07-19-12, 08:50 AM
Today's record. 1973 first printing.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/394650_2973006263094_2129121593_n.jpg

Record of the day:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/311617_2981122625998_1931994625_n.jpg

^^^Very Nice! I also have both of those and saw SNF twice at the theater with different girls.lol ....it wasn’t quite the same the second night.lol

Although I have more jazz vinyl, I do have some other non-jazz titles that are favorites too. The cover for the Houston Person Jazz LP was just too sexy not to include.:)

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy104/wesleyja/VinylLPCovers.jpg

brandondeleo
07-19-12, 12:27 PM
^^^Very Nice! I also have both of those and saw SNF twice at the theater with different girls.lol ....it wasn’t quite the same the second night.lol

Although I have more jazz vinyl, I do have some other non-jazz titles that are favorites too. The cover for the Houston Person Jazz LP was just too sexy not to include.:)

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy104/wesleyja/VinylLPCovers.jpg
I have Rumors too. Great album!

ShapeShifter
07-19-12, 12:56 PM
Warming up the tubes now to listen to some vinyl on this rainy and cool afternoon. Finally, some much needed rain and relief from the heat/humidity!

CadillacLuke24
07-21-12, 08:01 PM
:thumbsup:

I collect money during the summer, and the month of December. The rest of the year I collect receipts and bills. :D

brandondeleo
07-24-12, 06:35 PM
New record today!

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/396786_2997576077324_2052500287_n.jpg

talismandave
07-24-12, 09:41 PM
That is a great one. I use CD for "drive time"!

MotownPimp
07-25-12, 02:34 PM
I may have posted this before but have recently "upgraded" the collection. For years I've collected little plastic guys known as Starting Lineups, SLUs, (no longer made). Specialty is MJs. I have the best of the SLUs graded. Below is my collection of AFA 90 or better Jordans. It is a complete run of the 10 MJ slus made. A "90" grade is very difficult to get; maybe 2% of all SLUs graded. Three are even better with "95" grade; "95"s are less than 1/10 of 1%. It has taken over 20 years to pull this set together.

orconn
07-25-12, 03:50 PM
Where do you search out your additions to your collection?

talismandave
07-25-12, 10:39 PM
I may have posted this before but have recently "upgraded" the collection. For years I've collected little plastic guys known as Starting Lineups, SLUs, (no longer made). Specialty is MJs. I have the best of the SLUs graded. Below is my collection of AFA 90 or better Jordans. It is a complete run of the 10 MJ slus made. A "90" grade is very difficult to get; maybe 2% of all SLUs graded. Three are even better with "95" grade. It has taken over 20 years to pull this set together.
Cool. If you posted them I missed them. When were they made? I don't ever seeing them anywhere. (But then I had three daughters.:lol:)

MotownPimp
07-25-12, 11:25 PM
The Mj SLUs were made between 1988 and 1993; sold in most toy stores. SLUs continued untill 2001 but could not reach contract agreement with MJ after 93. I bought or traded for 8 of the 10 between 1988 & 1996. Then I sent the MJs off for grading. Two were purchased after grading. I track eBay for upgrades to above. Like looking for needles in haystacks at this point. Recently purchased the AFA 95 1991 "shooting" MJ (Second from left on top) from another collector who wanted to move it. It was an "upgrade" to my "90" grade.

MotownPimp
07-27-12, 04:49 PM
If anyone is interested, I can post (or email) a larger picture of any of the MJ SLUs.

Here are a couple more AFA "prizes"...these are for Magic Johnson. Both were "error" figures. The airborn one is called "Yellow Magic" from 1992; it was supposed to be a purple Lakers uniform but 1000 or so got out in the yellow. The one dribbling is refered to as the "Asian Magic" from 1996. Magic was scheduled to be in 1996 bkb set but retired at last minute. Per licensing agreements, Magic's piece was pulled from release. However, the Hong Kong office of Hasbro did not get the memo and a few were released in the Asian markets.

Slowly, a few, probably 50-100, filtered into the USA. I was fortunate enough to be able to trade for one. At the time (1998) hobbyists thought I was nuts because I traded several hundred dollars more in value over that of the Magic SLU. I saw it as a one time oppertunity to own a rare figure of a fav player. Best trade I ever made by far.

brandondeleo
08-03-12, 12:04 PM
Record of the day!

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/480320_3027014973278_7987331_n.jpg