: Plasti Dip Smoke

gmusquiz
06-08-12, 07:48 PM
My first attempt at Plasti Dip. Applied a couple layers of smoke and then silver metallizer and then gloss. Just a start as I will be doing this to all the chrome on my car and maybe the wheels as well. I tried it on my old G35 grill and it came out looking like gunmetal but I thought what the heck I'll try it anyway. On the old grill I did smoke + gloss on the left and smoke + silver metallizer + gloss on the right. Not sure if I'm going to keep the smoke over the colored part because my girlfriend said it looks "dirty" but what does she know???

NathanScott
06-08-12, 10:44 PM
Looks good man. I have some glossifier to put on my emblem to contrast the black on the grille some. I agree on taking off the smoke on the colored part.

gmusquiz
06-09-12, 03:32 PM
Daytime pic and difference between chrome and smoked. I'm eventually going to smoke all the chrome to match including emblems.

NathanScott
06-09-12, 07:29 PM
I like it. What part of SA are you from?

gmusquiz
06-10-12, 08:20 PM
I live close to Sea World. Finished the back...but I think it's too humid because it came out really textured so I'm probably going to have to redo it once I order more smoke plasti dip.

gmusquiz
06-10-12, 08:26 PM
Or maybe too hot and it dried as it was being sprayed on...it didn't lay on flat and smooth. Oh well gotta do the rest at night when it gets cooler.

NathanScott
06-10-12, 10:54 PM
Good thing about it is that it peels off and you can try again. You might see me running around. I live close to Sea World too.

Stillborn
06-10-12, 11:03 PM
not a good look. smoke will never be popular. my .02

gmusquiz
06-11-12, 03:54 PM
Thanks Stillborn. You are very helpful...it's all personal preference and I could care less what will catch on or not. Just showing what I'm doing because I like it.

What are you driving Nathan?

NathanScott
06-11-12, 04:41 PM
An 09 CTS V...
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i55/NathanScottAdams/Untitled-3.jpg

M5eater
06-11-12, 05:20 PM
not my cup of tea but props for being different . as mentioned the great thing is it just peels off!

gmusquiz
06-11-12, 08:31 PM
I didn't want to black it out like everyone else was doing and I'm not a fan of the flashy chrome so this was my happy medium. I like it so that's all that matters

NathanScott
06-11-12, 08:53 PM
Not a fan of chrome either and think this is a good way to tone it down if you dont like the black.

gmusquiz
07-02-12, 08:28 PM
I'm digging the way it turned out! Last thing is to black out the gray trim in the front. Already did the rear lower panel. Much better than the chrome IMHO.

Mike02z
07-02-12, 09:21 PM
I like the grille. The smoke is better than the chrome but I think I'd prefer all black if it were my car. I'm thinking about doing everything black on my Black Raven 11. Having the graphite wheels put on Thursday. Got 2 cans of Plastidip to start. Best part is I can remove it if it does not come out right.

gmusquiz
07-02-12, 09:49 PM
Personally I did not like all black with the red. This is much more my style and unique

Mike02z
07-02-12, 10:34 PM
That's all that matters.... :thumbsup:

Airfoto
07-05-12, 05:54 PM
What is important is that you like it - I tend to think like your girl friend and that it looks dirty - BUTT - the pics could lye! Might look really good in person. You do have to match the wheels to the rest of the chrome - do it all! Have fun and enjoy the car!

gmusquiz
07-05-12, 11:31 PM
When I redid the rear chrome and emblem I took off the colored part and it looked silly because it was too bright. I need daytime shots of the whole car because I think it looks sick as hell with the smoke and black. But I need to black out the gray plastic in the front still. Going to finish the front end tomorrow night (too damn hot in San Antonio to paint during the day!). Hopefully pictures by Saturday. And I bought gunmetal plasti dip for the wheels...don't know how that color looks yet as I have yet to test it out. Might use smoke for the wheels too but that will be a later project.

thebigjimsho
07-06-12, 06:38 PM
Can you get better shots of the rear chrome strip? I like it in the pic and it's something I want to change, even if it's not for smoke...

thebigjimsho
07-06-12, 06:39 PM
I live close to Sea World. Finished the back...but I think it's too humid because it came out really textured so I'm probably going to have to redo it once I order more smoke plasti dip.Oh, and is all you got a Batchelor plate frame? Because I had to undo the big individual chrome letters spelling Batchelor on my '09. Huge pain in the arse...

gmusquiz
07-07-12, 01:51 AM
I'm washing the car in the morning and will take many pics for all to enjoy :) just finished blacking out all the plastic in the front. It looks meaner now. No, they had the Batchelor emblem on and I took it off plus the CTS emblem...go to dealer for a car wash and the salesperson I worked with says "oh we would have taken all that off for you if you would have told us..." that was a pain in the ass getting all the sticky tape off. BTW Ken Batchelor is now doing some custom CTS-V's like blacking out a coupe and carbon fiber vinyl wrap on hoods but of course charging a premium for it. Pretty cool and they are very interested in how my car turns out also.

Trionalaw
07-07-12, 11:09 AM
When you did the front grill did you put anything behind it to protect radiator and coolers? I am struggling with whether to do so. Some say yes, others like Stillborn say no. What say you?

Car looks great.

Thanks,

jim

Stillborn
07-07-12, 06:03 PM
i still say no. lol

=]~

i had my car plasti-dipped with-in the first week of acquisition. i loved the look from seeing it the first time on that thread here, and had no prior experience with it. but i've had tons of rattle can time under my belt as i grew up as a teen in the 80's and street tagging/graffiti was huge back then in the city. anyway, why put off what you can do today? as the old saying goes. if you effit up you can peel it off and re-apply. i messed up the rear emblem 3x before i got it right. thats the beauty of this stuff, it's not permanent. i've been under the car with the belly pan off when i did the hid fog ballasts, and the over spray was pretty insignificant to be honest. it did make the area black but it's so thin it's not in any way an obstruction to the radiators function. if anything it blends the blacked out look for an overall better appearance.

gmusquiz
07-08-12, 02:05 AM
Personally I blocked out as much as I could behind the grills but stillborn is right overspray was not too tremendous so I didn't spend a lot of time trying to cover it all up. Plus overspray with this stuff washes off so easy (I do this in my garage so it all gets everywhere) that it really just turns to dust and washes off quickly. Wtf? Guess I can't post anymore pictures because I have "exceeded my quota" on here?