: Exhaust tips extremely hot.

JFensty
06-08-12, 07:33 PM
Other than the obvious remarks.... I took a friend for a ride. Up one exit turn around and back. Pretty much WOT the whole way and end out of with a 25 mph off ramp at 60. Get back to the parking lot and notice that my exhaust tip has touched the bumper and melted the paint in one spot. I'm thinking its running lean. Any ideas? Headers, high flow cats, muffler delete.

note: had an hour cool down before this "run". although it was close to operating temps

RADEoN
06-08-12, 09:55 PM
outside temp there?

DDS rollin a CTS
06-08-12, 10:04 PM
Other than the obvious remarks.... I took a friend for a ride. Up one exit turn around and back. Pretty much WOT the whole way and end out of with a 25 mph off ramp at 60. Get back to the parking lot and notice that my exhaust tip has touched the bumper and melted the paint in one spot. I'm thinking its running lean. Any ideas? Headers, high flow cats, muffler delete.

note: had an hour cool down before this "run". although it was close to operating temps

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a car that you can run flat out like you describe then find the exhaust pipe to be cool to the touch.

JFensty
06-08-12, 10:06 PM
78. I had the car tuned after the header, cam, cats, and ls7 clutch install almost 10k miles ago. No issues at all and this may be common but Im not sure why it melted my bumper. If it is getting that hot could something else super heat the exhaust causing this? Just fyi the tip is over an inch from the bumper. I couldn't move the exhaust to touch the bumper and it didn't drag or scrape

DDS rollin a CTS
06-08-12, 10:27 PM
I don't think anything is out of the ordinary engine wise; I'm pretty sure its normal for the tip to be that hot. I took my car in to the dealer a couple weeks ago to fix a failed cat and they f*cked up the alignment of my exhaust so it now rubs on the bumper (well not anymore, its melted away enough of the bumper that now it rattles against the underside of the body. They're trying to say its because I did the muffler delete and therefore don't have the exhaust attached to the back set of hangers but it never rubbed before until after they worked on it.

PISNUOFF
06-09-12, 07:51 AM
Mine melts the bumper also. It moves around and shakes enough to rub.

JFensty
06-09-12, 07:58 AM
Ok. Good to know, I guess. As long as its not something else. My high flow cats stink of sulfur after a good run like this. I thought that would go away after a while, but oh well.