: [Q] Side marker

idkwhothatis123
06-08-12, 01:33 PM
Hey guys. I Hate the amber casing on the side marker light. Any one had success changing that out? If so, how'd ya do it? Thanks in advance.

eatyoursandwich
06-08-12, 03:01 PM
Never done this and I'm not even sure if any one makes clear or colored replacements, but I guess you can always paint them to match -- it's glass instead of plastic so keep that in mind for color-matching if you go that route.

I've taken my bumper off for one reason or another 20 or so times so I'm pretty familiar with what the car looks like with the splash guards removed/peeled back.

3 Step Process:

1) Turn wheel in
2) Remove or peel back splash guard
3) Using your fingers or flat head, if you're gentle, release the 6 (I believe) tabs on the reflector from the inside and pop it out.

idkwhothatis123
06-08-12, 04:00 PM
Never done this and I'm not even sure if any one makes clear or colored replacements, but I guess you can always paint them to match -- it's glass instead of plastic so keep that in mind for color-matching if you go that route.

I've taken my bumper off for one reason or another 20 or so times so I'm pretty familiar with what the car looks like with the splash guards removed/peeled back.

3 Step Process:

1) Turn wheel in
2) Remove or peel back splash guard
3) Using your fingers or flat head, if you're gentle, release the 6 (I believe) tabs on the reflector from the inside and pop it out.

Thanks man. I just think it looks terrible with the all clear front lights. It doesn't match anything lol

curtc
06-08-12, 04:28 PM
I totally agree and have searched endlessly for clear replacements...though technically illegal as a front side marker light must be amber per DOT regulation, I still want clear ones...did it on my CTS and it looked SO much better....if anyone knows where to score clear side markers please let us know.

1BadCadSTS
06-08-12, 05:52 PM
Make them. Not hard.

eatyoursandwich
06-08-12, 07:00 PM
Make them. Not hard.

Way I've done it on past vehicles. Anyone can chime in if they've found an easier way.

1) Separate amber lens from reflector housing

2) Buy some clear plexiglass from a glass shop

3) Use amber lens to make a template in the plexiglass

4) Cut clear plexiglass to fit

5) Attach new lens back to reflector housing with silicone to seal it

eatyoursandwich
06-08-12, 07:01 PM
Make them. Not hard.

Way I've done it on past vehicles. Anyone can chime in if they've found an easier way.

1) Separate amber lens from reflector housing

2) Buy some clear plexiglass from a glass shop

3) Use amber lens to make a template in the plexiglass

4) Cut clear plexiglass to fit

5) Attach new lens back to reflector housing with silicone to seal it

1BadCadSTS
06-08-12, 07:43 PM
Winner.