: 2008 Tranny Flush?

salvie
06-08-12, 11:23 AM
2008 STS4 3.6 - just passing 70,000 miles...mostly highway.
I was having my baby serviced this Monday. Should I think about a full tranny flush at this point? Any body know or have any experience with a flush vs. fluid change?

Subsailor613
06-08-12, 12:13 PM
You CAN't do a Flush, it has NO dipstick hole !
I did mine at 50,000, fluid change, by the dealer.
the radiator, and tranny= about $ 125.00

KRSTS
06-08-12, 12:59 PM
You got a steal. It cost me that much just for the cooling system flush. These transmissions should not be flushed, just the fluid exchanged with Dextron VI. Too much chance of introducing contaminants.

EChas3
06-08-12, 08:39 PM
My dealer disagrees. They service a lot of STS's and all of them are machine flushed using all new fluid.

KRSTS
06-09-12, 03:55 PM
My dealer disagrees. They service a lot of STS's and all of them are machine flushed using all new fluid.

It depends on how you define flush. If you "flush" with clean fluid OK, if you use a chemical flush not so. My experience is that transmissions are better left alone, at least for the 1st 100K, then maybe a fluid and filter change. Be very careful who you get to do the job.

EChas3
06-09-12, 06:29 PM
I was on the fence and my service advisor explained that dropping the transmission pan, changing a screen and fluid left old fluid in the transmission. In their experience, a thorough flush with clean fluid does a good a job of cleaning the filter screen and exchanges all the fluid with new fluid. It costs a little more because of how much fluid is used.

If there's any transmission issues, then their recommendation changes. They will then recommend going in and changing the parts causing the trouble and others that are prone to wear.