: Doing some minor body work to fiances car. Any pointers to a first timer? Lol

truckinman
06-08-12, 12:13 PM
A little while ago, someone pulled out in front of my fiancÚ as she was making a tight turn with small boulders on the corner. Well she swerved and cut the turn to tight and scraped the boulder from about 2/3 way back on the pass door to the rear wheel well. Her car is a 05 Saturn Ion coupe 4 door thing. It's one of those classified as a coupe but is really a 4 door. I'm sure most know what I'm talking about. But anyway, I've got a grinder wheel and a wire brush wheel for my drill. I plan to use the wire to clean that whole patch off of any excess paint, then use the grinder to smooth out the metal as best as I can (yes it's actually metal where she scraped not plastic) and then use the Saturn paint we've got and spray paint over the bare patch. We know it won't look perfect but it'll look better. Lol. But any pointers on this? Any special techniques? It's not my first time using a grinder or anything, but it is the first time I've used one on a job where I'm worried bout making it look good. Lol. Usually it's just to grind down a broken bolt or something.

Btw I didn't put This in any of the mechanical forums on here bc it's not a Cadillac. Lol. If you feel it would be better in another forum feel free to move it. Thanks!

Submariner409
06-08-12, 12:23 PM
Body shop. You'll have to eat the deductible. A poor prep and paint job in Ohio will be pure red rust by mid-November.

Faded Crest
06-08-12, 12:23 PM
Pics would help. Body work is not easy. Can you just replace the door that is damaged?

truckinman
06-08-12, 12:39 PM
She's got liability only on her car. So insurance is a no go. Were just trying to do it as cheap as possible. And I can't put pics on here over my iPhone bc I cant get Photobucket or any place to work with it. So id have to wait to get home later to post pics on the computer. Once I'm done paying off her ring, she's probably going to trade it for a new car which is why we don't wanna dump a bunch of money into it.

truckinman
06-08-12, 12:42 PM
I thought about taking it to my buddies house. He's REALLY good at body work. He completely repainted his jeep wrangler in his garage and it looks like it was done by a 20 year professional. Took him 5 hrs in the garage every day after work for over a month or two bc he put a lotta care into it.

Faded Crest
06-08-12, 12:55 PM
Definitely get your friend to help you. Body work is an art.

Ranger
06-08-12, 10:18 PM
:yeah:

CadillacLuke24
06-09-12, 02:03 AM
Good luck dude. Your buddy sounds like a good route. If they're shallow enough, maybe the blow-dryer-and-dry-ice route may work as well.

rodnok01
06-09-12, 09:50 AM
Really depends on the damage, but you need a sander not a grinder... if it's pushed in and can get to from inside the door do that. If it's just scraped and not dented too bad, sand the bastard down and feather the edges and paint it. It prob would be cheaper and easier to just get another door, esp for trade in.

cadillaxe
06-24-12, 02:04 PM
A little while ago, someone pulled out in front of my fiancÚ as she was making a tight turn with small boulders on the corner. Well she swerved and cut the turn to tight and scraped the boulder from about 2/3 way back on the pass door to the rear wheel well. Her car is a 05 Saturn Ion coupe 4 door thing. It's one of those classified as a coupe but is really a 4 door. I'm sure most know what I'm talking about. But anyway, I've got a grinder wheel and a wire brush wheel for my drill. I plan to use the wire to clean that whole patch off of any excess paint, then use the grinder to smooth out the metal as best as I can (yes it's actually metal where she scraped not plastic) and then use the Saturn paint we've got and spray paint over the bare patch. We know it won't look perfect but it'll look better. Lol. But any pointers on this? Any special techniques? It's not my first time using a grinder or anything, but it is the first time I've used one on a job where I'm worried bout making it look good. Lol. Usually it's just to grind down a broken bolt or something.

Btw I didn't put This in any of the mechanical forums on here bc it's not a Cadillac. Lol. If you feel it would be better in another forum feel free to move it. Thanks!

first of all, didn't those saturns have some plastic panels on them?

If there are minor dents, have a PDR guy fix those first. Matching paint completely blows unless it's pure black (that's why i had my girlfriend get a black car, so i could fix the dings, which it already has). that said, you'll want to paint to the edge of the door so you have the best chance at not making the paint color difference noticeable. use some metal bite filler and primer to get the vegas strippers' a$$ smooth. any tiny ding at that stage looks 100 times worse at the final.

if you haven't done any real body/paint work before, might as well hire someone to help you now though. you'll spend a ton of $ and hours, still good chance it won't look good, and you'll have to pay them anyway. Not saying i know everything about paint, but i did it building choppers for years, and i still make mistakes and learn. First tank i painted, i had to strip and repaint 6 times before i was happy with it being perfect to me.

"stubbornness is a poor substitute for intelligence" - Col. Putofski in Rambo-First Blood Part II

brandondeleo
06-25-12, 04:17 AM
first of all, didn't those saturns have some plastic panels on them?
That's what I was thinking...

truckinman
06-25-12, 08:52 AM
Well most of this car is plastic which is why I'm very surprised when I saw and felt the roughed up metal where she hit. But I'm prob not going to worry about it now. In the next 6 months or so we'll be getting her a new car anyway.