: Looking forward to a day at the junk yard!

Faded Crest
06-08-12, 11:36 AM
It's no wonder I don't have many friends since this is what I consider a great time and a full day of cheap entertainment. In fact, I have figured out that it's usually best for me to go alone since most others start to get antsy after an hour or so. I could stay there for hours on end picking little cosmetic parts here and there. And with 6 cars, there's always something to look for. :lol:

Today I hope to luck up on a good a/c compressor. From my experience with new or rebuilt, I'd rather roll the dice with a used original from a wreck.

talismandave
06-08-12, 12:28 PM
It's no wonder I don't have many friends since this is what I consider a great time and a full day of cheap entertainment. In fact, I have figured out that it's usually best for me to go alone since most others start to get antsy after an hour or so. I could stay there for hours on end picking little cosmetic parts here and there. And with 6 cars, there's always something to look for. :lol:
I wish we lived closer together, I would accept that as a challenge!:thumbsup:

cadillac kevin
06-08-12, 03:59 PM
I actually enjoy spending the day at the junkyard. I love going vehicle to vehicle through the older GM section, as you never know what you might find that will bolt on to your vehicle (especially since HTF/ desirable parts are occasionally stashed in the trunk of a random car, bed of a truck, or inside an old van so people can pick them up later). I also enjoy going hunting for older stereo components in the junkyard. the stereo system in my caddy is almost completely junkyard sourced.

orconn
06-08-12, 04:31 PM
Are you able to test the junkyard parts somehow? For many of us who have to have others do the actual repair work, the cost of the labor is high enough I don't want to have to pay twice (or more) to have parts installed only to find they are defective.

For non operating parts i have found Ebay to be a good source. I have accumulated almost all the badges and tail light lenses (which are hard to find in good condition), cup holders, etc for my 1995 STS for the day when it needs to be refreshed. I also have new "original" floor mats. All of this stuff was purchased several years ago, though.

cadillac kevin
06-08-12, 05:09 PM
I do not test the electronic parts I buy. I look over the vehicle really good though to get a good estimate of how well it was cared for if I'm buying a more expensive part or a part for someone else. (I figure if it looks like someone took good care of it prior to it getting junked, chances are the electronics are still working.) Out of all the electrical parts I've bought, I've only had 1 radio (had gotten wet and I didnt realize it) and a couple door/ window switches (water damage) not work.
Thankfully, rwd broughams are still somewhat common here, so I am able to get interior/ misc. exterior parts at local salvage yards. (Fwd 90s/ early 00s caddys are always common at local yard as well, but they have usually had a hard life judging by the interiors.)

Are you able to test the junkyard parts somehow? For many of us who have to have others do the actual repair work, the cost of the labor is high enough I don't want to have to pay twice (or more) to have parts installed only to find they are defective.

For non operating parts i have found Ebay to be a good source. I have accumulated almost all the badges and tail light lenses (which are hard to find in good condition), cup holders, etc for my 1995 STS for the day when it needs to be refreshed. I also have new "original" floor mats. All of this stuff was purchased several years ago, though.

Stingroo
06-08-12, 05:11 PM
I love and adore junkyard hunting. I will spend HOURS even when only going for a single part.

RightTurn
06-08-12, 05:21 PM
Hmmmm...

donwon
06-08-12, 05:40 PM
When I was able to I would rather go junk yarding than eat. Some places are like a walk back in time.
I spent a lot of time in them.

Faded Crest
06-08-12, 06:21 PM
Well..... So I'm not the only one. :D

I'm back from my day out... Scored big time. There was a '97 Sedan Deville and a '98 Concours that just arrived within a week or so and they were hardly touched. I nabbed the a/c compressors off both of them and got a condenser and radiator off one of them. Needed the condenser for a light wreck I'm fixing, but didn't need the radiator at all, it was just there, so I grabbed it since it will fit at least 5 different cars me and my Dad have. And now that I have it, I'll never need it... Right Orconn? :lol:

Also grabbed 2 freshly replaced torque struts and a battery cable I need. I also did some scouting for the next trip... They have an Eldorado hood which I need and a super nice complete set of chrome Cadillac rims. ('96 Eldo style). Can't wait to go back! :thumbsup:

The-Dullahan
06-08-12, 08:01 PM
Count me in. I have only one local junkyard...and it sucks. Like...it really does.

Faded Crest
06-08-12, 08:10 PM
I am very fortunate to have access to such great junkyards. The ones I have been to have many, many Cadillacs and I haven't even hit them all yet. I hear the others are also full of Caddys. I noticed 2 RWD '93+ Fleetwoods that just came in and a 1984 Eldo that should never have been junked. Some of the Cadillacs at the Pull-a-Part look like they could drive out of there... But I'm sure most of them have head gasket problems.

brandondeleo
06-08-12, 08:17 PM
I want to go junk yard hunting, but there are two in my county, and both of them totally blow. Not to mention I've called every single lot within 100 miles, and not a single one has a Sebring convertible. Anywhere. And sedan parts aren't interchangeable.

CadillacLuke24
06-08-12, 08:20 PM
Hey Faded, while you're there, can you look for one of those rubber doohickeythingamajiggerdeals that go between the left front part of the front bumper and the frame? I lost mine, and I WILL NOT let that die.

Faded Crest
06-08-12, 10:04 PM
^^^

Luke, pic would help... I looked up "doohickeythingamajiggerdeal" in the FSM and I couldn't find it. :rolleyes:

CadillacLuke24
06-08-12, 11:09 PM
:D Darn! I coulda swore it was the doohickeythingamajiggerdeal!

All kidding aside, I believe it's called the lower left front air baffle. I've seen it online for 27 dollars at hendrick gm parts. I've never been able to find a picture, so perhaps a description may work :D

Go out to the wide array of Cadillacs you have in your posession :D, pop the hood, and look down once you do. You will see the radiator, radiator frame, and anything else that is on the front of the engine. Then look straight down, at the ground. If the car has been pampered, instead of pavement, concrete, or dirt, you will see a piece of black rubber extending from the bottom of the radiator frame to the front lip of the bumper. That's the center baffle, and I have that part. I want the left side one, because it's supposed to protect the washer fluid resevoir. I've avoided damage thus far, but I don't want to chance it. I'll take a pic to aid in description.

Faded Crest
06-08-12, 11:37 PM
^^^ Okay. Just a couple hours ago I noticed the one on my right side was missing on the '98 Eldo. I know just the part and I bet there are a few there. There are at least 6 or 7 '94-'96 Devilles there.

By the way, I call it "the rubber flap under the front corner held on by push clips."

talismandave
06-09-12, 12:25 AM
Once, about a year ago I had an urge to go to a junk yard, no reason, no tools, just a walk in the history and the untold stories. I ask about six of my friends if they wanted to go. The responses ranged from "why..." to "what is a junk yard" (by a 33 year old!) All the guys I hung with in school were the same as us, a trip to the yard for one always drew at least one hanger on and usually more. Just for the hell of it. I wonder if they would say, "why..." if I ask them today? Have I just not grown up? Are the people I am friends with now just that different from my old friends? They work on cars, some of them,(not to the extent of us) but seem confused by the concept of going to a yard for no reason!

Stingroo
06-09-12, 12:35 AM
There is a yard in my town that's about 5 miles from my house, and I will occasionally just go there for the hell of it, just like you. They have free admission, so it's fun to browse.

I ALWAYS bring tools though. You never know when a random yard trip will turn into a wagony goldmine.

Faded Crest
06-09-12, 12:39 AM
I'm thinking about starting a collection of pristine steering wheels, or maybe start selling really nice ones on ebay. A ratty steering wheel is my #1 pet peeve and I see a lot of beautiful steering wheels in the bone yard that probably get crushed with the cars. Today I saw a perfect black leather wheel in a '98 Concours and another absolutely perfect steering wheel in a 1984 Eldorado.

CadillacLuke24
06-09-12, 01:23 AM
Hahaha there ya go! Sweet steering wheel collection FTW! Thanks for checking Faded. :D I'm not sure if there's supposed to be a right side one, or maybe that's just for DeVilles. I was considering getting 2, but I didn't see push clip holes on the right side of the bumper, so I figured there wasn't one made for that side. I'm gonna have to double check now :D

From now on, I will refer to it as the "rubber flap under the front corner held on with push clips" :D

talismandave
06-09-12, 01:44 AM
You will have to buy an unpainted barn to hang them on outside of until they rot, if you really want to go all old coot on us!

MoistCabbage
06-09-12, 01:56 AM
And now that I have it, I'll never need it...I like this theory. I'm buying a complete parts car tomorrow, nothing on my car will ever break again!!!

CadillacLuke24
06-09-12, 04:40 AM
Hmmm.....

Faded, go buy a bunch of perfectly running Northstars from the junkyard, and stud them all in case you have HG issues. :D

brandondeleo
06-09-12, 05:31 AM
Hmmm.....

Faded, go buy a bunch of perfectly running Northstars from the junkyard, and stud them all in case you have HG issues. :D
WHERE WERE YOU WHEN MY DEVILLE BLEW UP?!?! :lol:

CadillacLuke24
06-09-12, 04:10 PM
Um, well, you see, I, ahem....

I was formulating this theory. Yeah, that works. :rofl:

CadillacLuke24
06-09-12, 04:10 PM
One of these days I should go hunting in eastern WA junkyards for your DeVille. That would be a fun projuect. :yup:

exterminate
06-09-12, 08:54 PM
goodluck!

brandondeleo
06-10-12, 04:19 AM
One of these days I should go hunting in eastern WA junkyards for your DeVille. That would be a fun projuect. :yup:
Jerry's Foreign Auto, 300 S Main St. Kittitas WA 98934. :lol:

talismandave
06-10-12, 09:47 AM
Jerry's Foreign Auto, 300 S Main St. Kittitas WA 98934. :lol:
Where is Jerry from that a DeVille is a foreign auto to him?:cool:

brandondeleo
06-10-12, 09:58 AM
Where is Jerry from that a DeVille is a foreign auto to him?:cool:
In Kittitas, everything that isn't your cousin is foreign. :histeric:

cadillac kevin
06-10-12, 07:29 PM
Went to the junkyard today and struck out. I did get my dollars worth though

CadillacLuke24
06-10-12, 07:36 PM
Brandon, do you make visits often? :D

Faded Crest
06-10-12, 07:51 PM

Nintendo controller? :lol:

I went back to the yard today but didn't have much time. I scoped a few Devilles for "the rubber flap held on by push clips", but didn't see any good ones. I'll have more time to look next time. I almost bought a set of chrome wheels, but the centers were gone and I really had not use for them. Just didn't want to tie up the money, so I left them with some hesitancy.

I did score 2 perfect leather wrap steering wheels. One for a '94-'95 and the other came out of a 1984 Eldorado... So it looks like I have started my collection. :D

cadillac kevin
06-10-12, 07:55 PM
I've found many perfect leather wrapped caddy wheels (including several that were the correct color for my car from 90-92 broughams), but I don't like thick steering wheels and don't think there'd be a secondary market for them.

Faded Crest
06-10-12, 08:11 PM
^^^ Probably would be a slow mover since the chances of someone looking for that exact color and style would be remote. But on the other hand, if you needed one a specific year and color your chance of finding it would be remote. :rolleyes:

I was actually looking for a '96-'99 tan steering wheel with the c/c and radio controls, but couldn't find any good ones. It's a shame the one I got couldn't be made to work.

CadillacLuke24
06-10-12, 09:08 PM
I did score 2 perfect leather wrap steering wheels. One for a '94-'95 and the other came out of a 1984 Eldorado... So it looks like I have started my collection. :D

I APPROVE! :D Now you need to take teh pictures of said collection.

Thanks Faded. I really do appreciate it. Definitely cheaper than the interwebs, and probably cheaper than me doing it. I'm still working on my haggling skills :D

Faded Crest
06-10-12, 09:39 PM
It would be an appealing collection if the wheels came with the air bag centers. The steering wheels are cheap, but they want around $30 for the air bag center. :thehand: Pretty stupid really, how many people ever replace an airbag? Give me a break. They should be cheap instead of crushing them with the cars.

CadillacLuke24
06-10-12, 11:37 PM
Indeed. That is stupid. *Sigh* I wish we could go into yards and pull stuff off crushed cars. I would go NUTS with emblems.

brandondeleo
06-11-12, 04:11 AM
Brandon, do you make visits often? :D
The owner's a total douchecanoe, so I never get to go back there. You can't pick in these lots. Hell, they don't even want you back there.

CadillacLuke24
06-11-12, 06:30 PM
:( That's douchey. I like the douchecanoe though. Conveys a feeling of what the person is like. That being said, I NEVER want to meet a douchebarge

exterminate
06-11-12, 08:19 PM

Awesome find

CadillacLuke24
06-12-12, 03:29 AM
I still like the HT 4100 badges for sleeper cred. that or VTEC badges :histeric: