: Engine ticking sound

buzz
06-07-12, 10:38 PM
My 2008 STS with 69,000 miles has a slight ticking sound at idle. I assume it is at idle as I only hear it when I step up to the car after using remote start, or get out of the car while engine is at idle.

It may be nothing for concern; however, if anyone has this and knows the cause, it would be nice to know; especially, if I take the car to a tech for diagnosis and/or repair.

I only had this car for @ 6 weeks, now... so I am in a discovery mode!

KRSTS
06-07-12, 11:28 PM
you don't say what engine you have but if it is the V6 DI it is probably the injectors you hear. Perfectly normal

EnvoyBu
06-08-12, 06:07 AM
It's most likely the injectors. DI engines tend to be extremely noisy. Also, is it a fast tick or a slower tick?

N*08STS
06-08-12, 12:27 PM
I've got an 08 N*V8 just turned 50k and only had about 4 weeks. I've noticed a slight tick or almost sounds like a diesel at idle and if you do an easy take off. Not sure if it's normal or not though

Ludacrisvp
06-08-12, 01:34 PM
Do you notice any change using different fuel grades or fuel from alternate gas stations?

EChas3
06-08-12, 09:44 PM
I doubt there's anything wrong. Always use Top Tier gas. 87 octane is acceptable; 93 is a waste. At idle, it wouldn't matter, anyway.

buzz
06-11-12, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention I have the V6 engine with AWD. I always purchase good fuel; frequently 89 octane when it is available. I don't believe the car needs 89 octane; however, it is always the same price as 87 octane. I look at this and say, "what's the harm?"

I thought about injectors; however, I also thought about the timing chain. We had a 2006 SRX (traded for 2008 SRX) and had to have the timing chain replaced at 100,000 miles. Fortunately, this was covered by Cadillac's extended drive train warranty. I recently heard this timing chain issue affects allmost all V6 powered SRX & STS vehicles, so naturally, I am concerned. As I recall, the TC problem with the 2006 originated with a clicking noise from the engine. It was only noticable at idle. See why I have concerns?

Ludacrisvp
06-11-12, 02:54 PM
If you can get a dealer to do the timing chain under power train warranty I would do it.

Charles Warren
06-11-12, 04:10 PM
It could be the ethanol in the gas making you have dry starts, I use a lil marvel mystery oil in my gas every time I put gas in. My ticking went away no bs.

buzz
06-11-12, 09:09 PM
I am always suspicious of additives, whether in the oil or gas. Most OEMs have strict warnings regarding the use of additives; however, I did use STP in one of my Northstar Caddies in an attempt to reduce oil consumption. I doubt it did any damage to the engine and I didn't notice any reduction in oil consumption. I always kept a case of 5w30 oil in the garage and added @ 1-2 quarts between oil changes (at 3,000 mile intervals).

That '03 had 130,000 miles when I traded it for the 2008 STS, so it is likely someone else's problem today. I might try a can of marvel oil just to see if the noise goes away. I will let you know. I am still concerned about the timing chain; however.

curtc
06-11-12, 09:57 PM
All 3.6l, DI or not, are susceptible to premature timing chain wear...If you have a 3.6 and want to read up on the topic peruse the CTS forum, endless amounts of info.

Charles Warren
06-11-12, 10:30 PM
3.6 seems like a higher maintenance engine over a northstar and I never worked or owned a 3.6 but the mmo works in any engine far as the ethanol drying out the top of the combustion chambers. I like it because it makes my car smell like I'm running a lil bit of race gas(not everybody can smell it) and I do notice no hesistation after using it and a small increase in mph and its only 4 bucks from walmart and its 32oz so your not spending much on it

buzz
06-13-12, 08:53 PM
I did receive a response from Cadillac, and both of our cars (2008 SRX & 2008 STS) are covered for the extended timing chain repairs. These warranties are good to 120,000 miles; so for now, I am not worried. I think I will try the Marvel Mystery Oil at least to see it it takes care of the ticks! If it doesn't, well... the engine in my 2008 STS ticks a bit at idle. I can live with this as long as the ticks don't get so loud it creates a bother when driving with the windows closed!

EChas3
06-13-12, 09:40 PM
Injectors will make noise, too.

The old hose trick still works. Take an old garden-variety hose and cut a 2-foot length. Put one end to your ear and the other near an injector. (remove covers as needed.) Is that the noise?

Poke around and find the noise!

buzz
06-14-12, 02:50 PM
Great idea, EChas3. I will give this a shot. I am about ready for an oil change, and I always take our cars to a dealer for this. While I am having it serviced, I will ask about the ticking noise, and see what a dealer tech says. FYI, it will not be the same "tech" who does the oil change. There is a reason they are relegated to oil changes, after all.

stranger
06-20-12, 01:05 PM
my 2003 Seville has ticking noise in engine after I went from reg oil to 5-30 to 10-30 mobile one, /only at idle/ I went to 10-30 for the summer and my Seville doesn't use oil with the full synthetic as it did with reg 5-30 have not had to add oil with the synthetic, but in turn developed a ticking noise. maybe I should not be using the 10-30 oil
Car has 88,000, have had car since it was new. car runs great !:) Any ideas ? Thanks

EChas3
06-21-12, 12:46 AM
Try the Seville forum. This is for 2005 & up.

Use the recommended oil?

MoistCabbage
06-21-12, 02:08 AM
Your engine calls for 5W-30, synthetic or conventional doesn't matter. The oil is not the cause of the ticking. Where exactly is the noise originating from? It may be a failing tensioner or idler pulley bearing.

Do some reading in the Cadillac Technical Archives (in the black tab at the top of the page) on oil consumption, and why occasional WOT is beneficial to your engine. Read the ENTIRE page while you're there, LOTS of good info.

For future reference, your Seville Touring Sedan is a very different animal from an '05+ STS.

BTW, :welcome:

MoistCabbage
06-22-12, 03:00 AM
This is still in the wrong forum. Mods?

Ludacrisvp
06-22-12, 04:45 PM
This is still in the wrong forum. Mods?

No it is not. The OP has a 2008 STS. The most recent poster is talking about a 2003 and they are in the wrong forum.
But this thread should remain here.

MoistCabbage
06-24-12, 12:32 PM
Oh, sorry. I'm using the app, and didn't realize I was on the second page.

buzz
06-25-12, 09:58 PM
I am glad we settled which STS we are discussing. Related to my original post, I did purchase a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil this afternoon. I found the ticking is an injector, and it was recommended I try MMO to bring silence. So, for less than $6, I will try it at 4oz per tankful (as recommended by the MMO website). If the tick disappears after this treatment ( eight tanks of fuel), it will be a cheap success. If not, hopefully no harm is done. I will let you know.

Charles Warren
07-30-12, 07:36 PM
Outcome?

buzz
08-02-12, 10:48 PM
Well, after going through one bottle of Mystery Oil, the ticking sound is just about gone. As I stated earlier I am not a big believer in additives; however, it is either a coincidence or the Mystery Oil is actually working. I will pick up a second bottle soon and continue this "treatment". If it has eliminated the noise, it was worth the few bucks it cost. I may hold off on using the second bottle and see if the ticking sound returns. I will let you know what happens.

bluegrass
08-04-12, 02:57 AM
Well, seems like enough replies and lots of variance. My '07 SRX with 4.6 had tick and got progressively worse. When cold sounded like diesel. GM replaced motor (at 48.000 miles) but since I bought used their perspective was owner negligence based on cylinder wear. Oil changes appeared non-existant. Pics showed scoring on cyclinder and my argument was that dealer who replaced intake gaskets did not ensure foreign material remained outside of internals. (its a 14 hour tab to remove oil pan apparently). As well, the environment where used seems to play a part due to high humidity which in turn causes added moisture in oil pan due to condensation as engine is all aluminium. therefore extra important to stick with oil change interval. I won't say what the new engine cost me as GM had me sign non-disclosure before giving me engine. Needless not cheap but neither was engine.
As for fuel, I run premium always and have recently started using ECO-Boost additive. Look up the stats on web. Super product for clean emissions and valves, etc.

Another prob i encountered was corrosion (rust) on bottom door seams. Got that fixed on warranty but GM did not cover warranty on electrical wiring in door which also failed due to corrosion. Driver door has all the control wiring for not only doors and windows but also controls dash electricals. $1200.00 later, and one green copper terminal that was corroded. Dealers don't have mechanics anymore - just tech who know only how to replace parts. a $4.00 terminal that could have been replaced with a $20.00 tool... Am I happy???
I'm 66 years old, hav owned GM all my life, have a 56 DelRay and a '47 tr0phy winner Pontiac. Am a mechanic and started my apprentice in 1966. Raced for many years -GM engines- but it seems that any arguments I have about causes for above noted wear and corrosion have no validity. Will my next vehicle be GM? I'll give odds on bets.. :nono:

As it now stands, I'm looking to boost about 25-30 more horses out the 4.6 with little available info. I'm tired of Honda minivans being able to stay with me on full acceleration. Any ideas without getting into the engine with new parts?. Will the STS-V 4.3 intake bolt up? I wouldn't mind going with the supercharger. Will the internals stand up? Do I need new injectors? etc. etc etc...

harveyno1
08-05-12, 12:48 PM
hi its the purge valve solenoid located its right under the engine cover passenger side right hand drive car had this on mine 30,000 miles

buzz
08-07-12, 09:06 PM
Harveyno1:

Are you saying it's the purge valve causing the ticking sound? It seems unlikely; but, please clarify for us.

EChas3
08-10-12, 10:53 PM
The purge valve is the fix for the 3.6 V6.