: Took the plastic shield off the radiator-- whaaa no radiator cap?

HAMSTAR
06-07-12, 01:06 PM
Got a coolant leak, and wanted to put some AlumaSeal in the radiator to buy some time. I took off the plastic shield over the radiator area (right below the air intake), and there's no cap? So what would you guys recommend? Should I put the AlumaSeal in the coolant reservoir?

darkman
06-07-12, 01:17 PM
Do not put the AlumaSeal (or other sealants for that matter) in the coolant tank. Those kind of additives should be put into the upper radiator hose. It is best done with the engine cold to reduce coolant spillage and reduce the chance of burning yourself.

HAMSTAR
06-07-12, 01:29 PM
aaah, thanks. Which is the upper radiator hose? And once I identify it, do I really dump the powder right into the hose, then reconnect the hose?

darkman
06-07-12, 01:50 PM
See the attachments here for drawing of upper hose: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/256420-bad-water-pump-04-cts-v.html#post2921771

HAMSTAR
06-07-12, 02:07 PM
I really appreciate the help, but the documents aren't very clear about what is what. I think the problem is that I'm such a noob I can't tell my ass from my elbow, parts-wise. Is this the upper radiator hose-- the one with RAD on it right in the center of the pic? It seems awfully small:

JDB
06-07-12, 02:23 PM
It appears to be your leak.

More common is the rad seems leak and what you're trying to add probably wont fix. Find your leak(s) first before randomly sprinkling magic dust into your rad.

HAMSTAR
06-07-12, 02:41 PM
I pulled that pic from the other forum. The leak is coming from the bottom of the radiator somewhere. At first, I thought it was a water pump leak because coolant was getting sprayed all over my engine compartment, but I think that's because it was getting blown back up at speed. So today I just sat and revved the car and wound up with a big pool of coolant under the car and none around the water pump or on the engine.

I'm gonna try the magic dust and see if it helps. If not, then I will need a new radiator, unless there are other possibilities?

darkman
06-07-12, 02:47 PM
The upper radiator hose about 2 1/2 inches in diameter and the low center of this pic. JDB is right though, those sealants are not designed to fix loose/or brittle hoses.

HAMSTAR
06-07-12, 03:23 PM
OK, so once I pull the hose off, I put the AlumaSeal in the radiator, not in the hose, correct?

darkman
06-07-12, 04:25 PM
In the hose is fine.

HAMSTAR
06-07-12, 10:04 PM
Thanks. I didn't see your message and put it in the radiator. It was awkward because the opening is horizontal, soni had to slam it in there, then push it in with my fingers and repeat a couple of times.

Drove it a bunch, and the leak is either dramatically reduced or stopped completely. Suck it, doubters!