: DIY repairability of Bosch III ABS units

iroc86
06-05-12, 07:54 PM
I'm in the market for an Allante and I'm curious if the parts are available to rebuild a Bosch III ABS unit myself, rather than having someone else do it. The easy answer would be to purchase a '93 model with a different ABS unit and better aftermarket support, but I feel that GM took away some of the car's character when they cut costs to add the Northstar, so I'm kinda set on the '87-'92 models. Do any Allante-specific suppliers make a DIY rebuild kit?

mikel912
06-09-12, 09:15 PM
I do not know if I would DIY the brakes on this car. Dick Hussey has a proven, reliable, and economical replacement along with a wealth of knowledge. Might be worth looking at his website, he freely gives a lot of info about diagnosing the problems with the different year brakes. Good Luck. When I had problems with my '88 he sent me the exact part he rebuilt and solved all of my brake problems.

iroc86
06-10-12, 10:14 PM
I appreciate the feedback. I'm learning as much as I can about these cars since they're unique in so many ways. I'll keep Dick in mind as a resource for both information and parts.

TommyAllante
06-11-12, 09:18 AM
I have both an 88 and a 93. From personal experience I can tell you that the 88 has superior stopping power over the 93.

iroc86
06-14-12, 08:55 AM
Thanks. I ended up picking up a '90 a few days ago. The master cylinder and accumulator were already replaced, too. It sure does stop well!