: Cruise Control for Dummies

psuscott0483
06-05-12, 05:03 PM
i am unable to search on this site using IE9 or firefox so i hope this is not repeated too much. but for the life of me i cannot figure out how to work the cruise control. i just picked up the car 2 weeks ago, so perhaps it is broken? but i press the button on the steering wheel, it lights up. i press the set - button and let go, nothing. i press the + top button, and nothing. i do it with my foot both on and off the gas. nothing happens! am i doing this wrong? also what is the button that is a circle with an x through it? my car did not come with a manual so i need to try to find one to download somewhere.

lee88
06-05-12, 05:06 PM
Sounds like its broke to me. Mine does the same thing. I just haven't had a chance to get it repaired.

48Dodge
06-05-12, 05:15 PM
i am unable to search on this site using IE9 or firefox so i hope this is not repeated too much. but for the life of me i cannot figure out how to work the cruise control. i just picked up the car 2 weeks ago, so perhaps it is broken? but i press the button on the steering wheel, it lights up. i press the set - button and let go, nothing. i press the + top button, and nothing. i do it with my foot both on and off the gas. nothing happens! am i doing this wrong? also what is the button that is a circle with an x through it? my car did not come with a manual so i need to try to find one to download somewhere.

Could be an extremely easy and cheap fix. Bad brake switch. I want to say it costs about $30, but can't quite remember exactly. Less than 5 minutes to switch it out. Try lifting up on your brake pedal with your foot and see if the green dash light will light up. The circle with the x cancels the cruise.

cgman
06-05-12, 08:14 PM
You can download the manual on the Cadillac website under the owner's tab as a PDF. The is pretty nice because you can search it for what you want to find out about.

One dumb thing I have done more than once, is to turn on the steering wheel heater, while I was trying to use the cruse control.

corvette00
06-06-12, 08:56 AM
I miss the old cruise on the stem, it seemed a lot easier

psuscott0483
06-06-12, 12:32 PM
Could be an extremely easy and cheap fix. Bad brake switch. I want to say it costs about $30, but can't quite remember exactly. Less than 5 minutes to switch it out. Try lifting up on your brake pedal with your foot and see if the green dash light will light up. The circle with the x cancels the cruise.
no luck with this, but thanks for the tip. guess the dealor will have to take a look.

You can download the manual on the Cadillac website under the owner's tab as a PDF. The is pretty nice because you can search it for what you want to find out about.

One dumb thing I have done more than once, is to turn on the steering wheel heater, while I was trying to use the cruse control.
excellent, i downloaded the manual; now to find a way to print it out nicely for the glove box

48Dodge
06-06-12, 01:06 PM
no luck with this, but thanks for the tip. guess the dealor will have to take a look.

excellent, i downloaded the manual; now to find a way to print it out nicely for the glove box

Not a definite test. Didn't work for me, either. I did remove the switch, broke it apart and cleaned the contacts. After cleaning, it only worked one time. That was enough to let me know the switch needed to be replaced.

As for the manual, I found a cheap one with the cover and a pen for cheap on eBay.