: Change of Ownership

Lord Cadillac
06-05-12, 03:09 PM
Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I hope all is well! And I hope this message finds you in good health and spirits. Speaking of messages - here's one I never thought I'd write until the recent past... I'm writing to let you know that I've come to a fork in the road and must go one way or the other. One road keeps me on the same path I've been on - which has been mostly wonderful for the past ten years - but has become extremely bumpy over the past twelve months. Between almost constant hack attempts, threats of lawsuits, subpoenas served to me, fighting between vendors asking me to choose one side over the other, adblockers putting a serious dent in my ability to pay the bills - and the recent dissolving of a position I held as an employee for almost fourteen years - the time has come for ownership of this website and community to change hands.

I'm convinced that the "other road" is the only viable option for CadillacOwners.com to remain online, uninterrupted and with the ability to move forward into the future. It appears as if once a community becomes as large as ours, it becomes extremely challenging for a single individual to manage. I feel an entity with the proper funding, their own servers, their own server administrators, attorneys on retainer and an arsenal of direct advertisers is far more capable of taking the reigns.

Since we run an almost identical "terms of service" as Auto Guide does, I don't foresee any change in the way things will be done here on a daily basis. The community is not being taken over by a new team. Nobody is stopping us from operating the site the way we've been for the past ten years. All that's changing is my ability to spend more time on the front end rather than the back end. And when somebody decides to threaten a law suit, I'm no longer the guy who has to deal with it.

As mentioned many times in the past, this website and community is very important to me. I can insist on running it myself indefinitely, unsure of what the future holds - or hand the baton to people that are far better prepared to endure the bumps in the road which I've been finding so challenging.

CadillacOwners.com is OUR community today - and will be tomorrow - just as much as it was yesterday. Nothing changes but the guy who pays the bills…

Sal Colascione III
Administrator, CadillacOwners.com

admin
06-05-12, 03:16 PM
As you have read above, Autoguide.com has come to an agreement with Sal and will now be the owners of CadillacOwners.com. We here at AutoGuide.com bring with us staff and resources to make this site grow by leaps and bounds. We provide the resources necessary to run this site and maintain the day to day technical and managerial tasks that are time consuming for one person.

With that I would like you all to know that this is still YOUR community and we are here to work with the community and the existing staff to keep this site a place for you to come and feel at home.

My name is Adam, please feel free to ask questions in this section of the forum and I will do my best to answer any and all of them. As of now I will be the only AutoGuide.com member to join the site, I am here to answer questions help with technical issues and make sure we are doing our job and keeping you all happy. If you have any issues, feel free to discuss below. Thanks!

Adam.

JimmyH
06-05-12, 05:55 PM
The goal for all of is to make this forum continue to be the best automotive hangout on the net. And with new external support I bet it becomes even better.

Stingroo
06-05-12, 06:38 PM
Same group that runs the Impala SS Forum.

Better than [insert competing forum group I know]. :

:lol:

Wulf
06-06-12, 01:57 PM
Please delete my user account on this site. I don't want to be part of any VerticalScope / AutoGuide forums..

hueterm
06-06-12, 02:28 PM
Lulz...4 posts and gone...

admin
06-06-12, 03:54 PM
Sorry to see you go Wulf. Before I disable your account, may I please ask why? Did VerticalScope/AutoGuide.com wrong you somehow in the past?

Wulf
06-06-12, 10:44 PM
It's a long story.. some believe these enthusiast forums started for non-profit use and taken over by a large for-profit corporation is not the right way to go forward. Not just this forum but the 100s of others VS owns. I was a longtime member of another (now) VS-owned forum and things didn't end well with the appointed admin. I am sure Helena can fill you in the details, even though her point of view is not what really happened. http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220964

Threads were deleted and content censored, just because people were speaking their mind. This is the short story. Didn't really want to bring it up but since you asked.. this post may end up being censored as well.

http://saabworld.net/f142/long-story-about-automotive-forums-1427/
http://saabworld.net/f16/alternative-saab-central-3

I am sure many here don't care who owns the site or how much money it makes and where that ends up. Others like the smaller, enthusiast-owned forums.

Lord Cadillac
06-07-12, 12:13 AM
I think the way things go depends on the type of take over you're talking about. Here, we already had a similar "terms of service" in place - and we're keeping our current "team". Not much is changing. Personally, I don't think there will be any noticeable difference at all. Ownership went from one entity to another. No big deal...

Wulf
06-07-12, 12:36 AM
You're right, this site was already owned by a company Madison Ross that owns many other sites. I was under the assumption it was a site owned and run by enthusiasts.

There will be lots of ads for visitors, inline text links, link redirects from non-VS advertisers to VS advertisers, tracking and a slower site, adding fake forum threads for Nitto tires and CarID, as they have done with all their acquired sites. Yes, they promise nothing will change but just give it time. I am just speaking from experience from what I have seen on other forums. Your forum is no different. These communities are big business. Instead of starting their own, it is much easier to pay a disinterested and tired forum owner some big money and buy these communities.

This Canadian company is making money, the site admins are getting a paycheck, and they pretend to care about your community. But all that counts is advertising income. And at the same time, moderators do all the work without getting paid and members provide all content that generates advertising income. But perhaps that already was the same thing with the previous owner.

I don't expect you take my word for it. Just do your own research and decide for yourself. http://www.verticalscope.com/about-us/our-history.html

Submariner409
06-07-12, 08:06 AM
Wulf, Interesting revelations and links.............Does your spam (ads, redirects) experience also apply to paid levels of Forum membership ? A site owner has to make money somehow...............

I can honestly say with a straight face that the first time one of my posts or advice threads gets paired with ads or redirects inserted, or I get evidence of tracking attempts, I am gone forever.

Fact............One of the attractions in the "old" CF was that people were, within limits, allowed to speak their peace in their own space and were NOT subjected to Big Brother subversive advertisement targeting and propaganda manipulation: That is a main reason that I frequent CF rather than others - If that modus changes, my time and my money are Gonzo.

The link to the VS website is disturbing: Read between the lines in the intro and it becomes obvious that AG/VS is a marketing machine, not a "people" machine.

Adam, VS - Prove me wrong in writing: Sal would listen to our concerns - Will you ?

Stingroo
06-07-12, 08:11 AM
All forum groups are marketing machines. It's up to the members of the community to make the forum something more, and CF has done that. Regardless of ownership, the community still remains. If a text ad here or there allows this knowledge base to continue to thrive, or even exist, is it really so bad? Would you rather have minimally intrusive advertisements, or no Northstar technical database, no CTS-V knowledge base, no GM service representatives to contact, etc. etc.?

Submariner409
06-07-12, 08:40 AM
Ads don't bother me one bit - watching my computer and using my time and advice to redirect to other ad sites does..............

'Roo, as you know, it looks like only about 25 members even know this Forum (Site News) exists - I want some answers, and Adam was kind enough to PM me with some knowledge. I'm still here and fully ready to stay here - I simply want the status quo. You know that I can be as snitsy as anyone else - I just asked the questions first...............

admin
06-07-12, 09:36 AM
There will be lots of ads for visitors, There are already lots ads for visitors here. I actually think there are more ads for visitors here than on any VS site.

inline text links, already has them (Kontera)

link redirects from non-VS advertisers to VS advertisers, The only one I can think of is the tirerack.com hijack, but as to WHY it does that, I don't know, as I havent been with VS long enough to know the history as to the why...

tracking and a slower site, Google AdSense already tracks you, and "slowness" of a forum is dictated by many factors. Server location, server load, user's ISP network, user's computer, etc.

adding fake forum threads for Nitto tires and CarID, CarID is a legitimate vendor. Define what a "fake" forum thread is please. The Nitto tire ads you've seen elsewhere is actually a sponsored link. Post-release. Look it up. It's not a fake forum thread.

as they have done with all their acquired sites. Yes, they promise nothing will change but just give it time. I am just speaking from experience from what I have seen on other forums. Your forum is no different. These communities are big business. Instead of starting their own, it is much easier to pay a disinterested and tired forum owner some big money and buy these communities.
This Canadian company is making money, the site admins are getting a paycheck,

and they pretend to care about your community. But all that counts is advertising income.
Hmmm....considering we need a community to advertise to. No community = no advertising dollars. I'd say keeping the community happy ranks pretty high among our "cares".

And at the same time, moderators do all the work without getting paid and members provide all content that generates advertising income. But perhaps that already was the same thing with the previous owner.
I don't expect you take my word for it. Just do your own research and decide for yourself. http://www.verticalscope.com/about-us/our-history.html
Moderators on pretty much ALL forums is a voluntary position. Do you pay your mods on SaabWorld?
And actually, the content itself doesn't generate advertising income.

Ranger
06-07-12, 09:50 AM
I'm pretty much with Sub. I'll take a wait and see attitude. I'm hoping not much changes, but if things get out of hand as predicted, I guess I'll have a lot more free time on my hands.

Lord Cadillac
06-07-12, 01:12 PM
Let's cross this alleged "bad bridge" IF and when it comes... Until then, let's just keep smooth sailing - because so far, nothing concerning our day to day entertainment/activity/etcetera has changed...

JimmyH
06-07-12, 01:15 PM
I think we all feel that way. But I think most of us are going to give VS the benefit of the doubt. Nothing is to be gained by anyone by jumping to conclusions.

JimmyH
06-07-12, 01:16 PM
Let's cross this alleged "bad bridge" IF and when it comes... Until then, let's just keep smooth sailing - because so far, nothing concerning our day to day entertainment/activity/etcetera has changed...

well, the headers have suddenly changed. I like it.

Lord Cadillac
06-07-12, 01:36 PM
At the moment there are less ads here than I've seen in years... In any event, it is my personal belief that many of these sites are given up by the original owners as a result of lack of interest. Those sites lose something along the way. I've never lost interest and I never plan to. And I have a strong feeling that most of us long time members aren't leaving without a good reason. I'm not worried. And considering how important this place is to me, I don't think anybody else should either...

Submariner409
06-07-12, 01:49 PM
In a different vein - What just went wrong (or got changed) with post format and avatars ???

talismandave
06-07-12, 01:57 PM
Ads don't bother me one bit - watching my computer and using my time and advice to redirect to other ad sites does..............

'Roo, as you know, it looks like only about 25 members even know this Forum (Site News) exists - I want some answers, and Adam was kind enough to PM me with some knowledge. I'm still here and fully ready to stay here - I simply want the status quo. You know that I can be as snitsy as anyone else - I just asked the questions first...............
Oh my god they already got to Sub, he's sipped the kool aid!
Actually I am looking forward to what comes next. I agree the ads are worth the content and foum. As long as things are as they have been, all well and good. I always hoped the owners were making money, and will continue to. I am happy for Sal and would like to thank him personally for fostering a great community.

Stingroo
06-07-12, 02:28 PM
Sal's a good guy... even if he skips out on meets that are right in his back yard.

:whistle:

P.S. I much prefer this more traditional name/avatar layout.

Ranger
06-07-12, 03:10 PM
What happened to "ownership?. Our profile no longer picks up and shows what we drive. That makes answering questions a real PITA when the OP does not post the year and model.

Lord Cadillac
06-07-12, 03:12 PM
Thanks, Roo..

The "ownership" piece will be back. We're just going through some growing pains and will get that back on track shortly...

Stingroo
06-07-12, 03:17 PM
Thanks, Roo.

I can't let you forget that. It wouldn't be right. :lol:

Lord Cadillac
06-07-12, 03:22 PM
I can't let you forget that. It wouldn't be right. :lol:

I know, I know... Next time... I tried to plan one recently but it fell apart. I'll get another one going soon if somebody else doesn't.

admin
06-07-12, 03:33 PM

Ranger
06-07-12, 09:16 PM
:thumbsup: Thanks!

ga_etc
06-17-12, 07:06 PM
So far I have seen no indication on my end that the site has even changed hands, and this makes me happy. This site has, and continues to, provide countless hours of enjoyment, not to mention all of the information contained in these pages. This place is a great resource and home to some really generous and incredible people. I hope that VS is able to maintain and expand upon what already exists.

Lord Cadillac
06-18-12, 01:09 PM
So far I have seen no indication on my end that the site has even changed hands, and this makes me happy. This site has, and continues to, provide countless hours of enjoyment, not to mention all of the information contained in these pages. This place is a great resource and home to some really generous and incredible people. I hope that VS is able to maintain and expand upon what already exists.

Thank you - and I agree. What basically happened here is our favorite television show moved from ABC to NBC. Same cast, same writers, same everything - everything and everyone moved from one network to another. No big deal.

dkozloski
06-18-12, 06:45 PM
I just came back from vacation to find out my girlfriend ran off with another guy!

97EldoCoupe
06-18-12, 10:26 PM
Man you aren't kidding. I just paid $50 today to reinstate my position as a platinum supporter and found out I can only send 3 PM's within a 60 minute timeframe. Admin, please do something about this.

Lord Cadillac
06-19-12, 11:47 AM
Man you aren't kidding. I just paid $50 today to reinstate my position as a platinum supporter and found out I can only send 3 PM's within a 60 minute timeframe. Admin, please do something about this.

This has nothing to do with the change of ownership. It's been like this for a long time due to spam issues - you just haven't been a vendor in awhile. I'll leave it up to Adam to change this setting to how he sees fit.

Johnxlrv
06-22-12, 07:46 AM
Still the newbie here...I would say that as a XLRV'S owner, I should not be too choosy about sites...there are not that many. Yet, some members have provided some sound advice...seems its not the platform/site owners that count (within reason, of course), but the members!

...and my "internal server error" rate has gone down!

Faded Crest
06-22-12, 10:33 AM
I came to this section to try to figure out why an entire thread got deleted from the Community Discussion Forum... I think there has been some censorship. This is disturbing.

Submariner409
06-22-12, 10:50 AM
I came to this section to try to figure out why an entire thread got deleted from the Community Discussion Forum... I think there has been some censorship. This is disturbing.

Not "censorship" - deletion of spam. See my reply to your almost identical post in the adjacent "Why did ......" thread.

Faded Crest
06-22-12, 11:28 AM
Thanks Sub, sorry for the double post. I should have just deleted this one when I posted that thread.

RippyPartsDept
06-22-12, 04:20 PM
so... when was someone going to tell me about this?!?!?!

i'm outraged

... carry on

Lord Cadillac
06-22-12, 06:42 PM
I think this topic has run it's course. I'm closing it unless anyone feels it should remain opened for further discussion. Feel free to re-open it if you disagree...

CIWS
06-22-12, 09:29 PM
I just now saw it. :(