: Gas: Regular vs premium

Braknglases07
06-05-12, 11:27 AM
What do you all use? My gas door says premium. Is there any real advantage?

M5eater
06-05-12, 11:33 AM
double post...UGH!

krieghoff
06-05-12, 11:33 AM
It says that because that is what you should use in it!

M5eater
06-05-12, 11:34 AM
for regular driving?

No.

For situations where you need that extra 10% for towing or other engine intensive work yes.

Otherwise, you're perfectly fine if you just use brand-name 87 gas. Most premium grade gas has more than the federally required amount of distillates and cleans up some of the carbon accumulation on the valve-train so you do get some more for your extra $.20-.25.. besides the extra 10-20hp on the top-end of the powerband doing at or near WOT.3

The folllowing is a bit OT, since I didn't see you mentioned price was a reason for the change;

The reality is though the 'premium' of 93/91 over the course of the year tends to be $200 or so or ~$5-6 per fillup.

If it were my car, I'd throw the premium in there because it can use it, and because of before-mentioned increased amount of distillates.

People generally kill me when it comes to gas. They'll drive clear across town to save .03Cents and burn $2 worth of gas to do it. Or fret over this kind of stuff sipping their $4 or $5 coffee they buy every morning.

My point is, there are better ways to save some cash.

MrHolland
06-05-12, 12:00 PM
My manual calls for premium, therefore that's what I use. After all, if I can afford the car, I can afford the gas. Cutting premium out of my life isn't where id begin if I needed to save money.

Braknglases07
06-05-12, 12:06 PM
I use premium most of the time, but I just hate giving the oil companies that extra 5$ haha, Exxon Mobil only profited 36.5 Billion

M5eater
06-05-12, 12:13 PM
I use premium most of the time, but I just hate giving the oil companies that extra 5$ haha, Exxon Mobil only profited 36.5 Billion
Acutally, you can thank the gas station for that.

Exxon acutally sells the gas to the station for only a few more pennies than 87.

that extra 20-25 cents you're paying is 90% profit for the station.

That's not to say that they make a killing off you anyway, on your full 93 25gallon, nearly $100 fillup they're netting < $7 profit. typical margins for 87 are between 3-7 cents, and as stated previously, 18-27cents for 93.

89 has closer margins to 93

hcvone
06-05-12, 12:47 PM
I guess GM wasted a lot on money printing to use 91 octane in the owners manual, you got a 400 plus hp engine with 400 plus foot lbs of torque, sure you can run regular fuel, but then why did you spend extra to get more hp, you could have got a Tahoe or a Lincoln. ;)

48Dodge
06-05-12, 03:15 PM
I've tried regular twice and both times I had hesitation and stumbling. First time I thought maybe it was just the gas station because I'd bought it on a road trip. Second time I bought from the station I buy gas from on a regular basis and had similar effects (although much less). Nothing but premium since. Cost savings may not be there especially if you're getting less hp and most likely less mpg.

escalade kidd
06-05-12, 07:10 PM
Premium all the way.. your driving an Escalade! You want to save 5 bucks on fuel?

cgman
06-05-12, 08:03 PM
If your fuel octane is too low, your engine will start knocking. Knocking comes from the gas detonating instead of smoothly burning under the high compression of the Escalade's engine. This can result in engine damage, which is B-A-D. Where I live, premium gas always costs 20 cents more than regular. So, a 20 gal fill up will costs $4.00 more. For me, $4.00 isn't much to pay to have my Escalade run right and avoid unnecessary engine problems.

luxurylife33
06-05-12, 11:26 PM
Wait all 2007 escalades need premium? mine doesnt say that on the door? i been using 87 :/

quattrotman
06-06-12, 05:59 AM
Acutally, you can thank the gas station for that.

Exxon acutally sells the gas to the station for only a few more pennies than 87.

that extra 20-25 cents you're paying is 90% profit for the station.

That's not to say that they make a killing off you anyway, on your full 93 25gallon, nearly $100 fillup they're netting < $7 profit. typical margins for 87 are between 3-7 cents, and as stated previously, 18-27cents for 93.

89 has closer margins to 93

That's not true..at least where I'm from. All gas stations are owned by the oil company except for the convenience store part. The owner makes money on the convenience store and a tiny (and I mean tiny) percentage on the gas. A friend of mine owns several Chevrons and gets nothing from the gas. The oil companies make all the money on all the grades.
As far as the premium vs regular arguement goes, I usually put premium in because I find I get slightly better mileage with 91-94 octane and it sort of offsets the extrra cost. You don't need it though unless you live in an area that has notoriously bad gas. That Escalade will run just fine on regular.

roadog1aj
06-06-12, 07:08 AM
Totally agree with other posters above! If I can not afford to put the required fuel into my EXT, why the heck did I pay so much for it, to drive it around? I do not drive it hard, but when I do have the occasional "nervous twitch" with my gas pedal foot, I like to know that A) My truck is gonna go like it should, and B) I'm not going to do any damage to the engine because I was a tight wad at the gas pump! I thought I read some where one time that these engines will go forever if taken care of properly, but the cylinder walls are Teflon lined(?) and very susceptible to damage if there is detonation(?). Once the lining is damaged it's just a matter of time before you are faced with engine replacement. I'm not 100% sure about the above statement, but the tech guys can confirm this for me?
Bottom line.........why have a top of the line vehicle, if you are not willing to put top of the line products in it? You might as well go further and replace all the synthetic fluids with standard fluids......Oh just think of the money you'll save then, HAH!!!!!!!!!!

hcvone
06-06-12, 08:25 AM
Wait all 2007 escalades need premium? mine doesnt say that on the door? i been using 87 :/

Yes 2007 was the same 6.2 engine as the 2012's, although the engine number is now different, read your owners manual 91 octane minimum, it will run on 87 octane, just not 100%

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-06-12, 11:31 AM
I appreciate the discussion so far, everyone!

Braknglases07, page 399 of your owners manual confirms that you should "use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher." GM advocates the use of Top Tier Detergent Gasoline in order to help keep your engine clean and maintain optimum performance. I'm always happy to research further on your behalf, so please don't hesitate to send me a private message anytime if you ever have questions.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

K9Caddy
06-06-12, 12:02 PM
Katie-

Please elaborate on what gasoline is "Top Tier" in your book? Thanks!

hcvone
06-06-12, 12:38 PM
Katie-

Remeber if the fuel you use is not on this list it does NOT mean it's not good fuel, it simply means that the fuel company did not want to pay for testing, or at least not yet anyway.
TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

USA Canada
76 Stations Chevron Canada
Aloha Petroleum Esso
Chevron Petro-Canada
Conoco Shell Canada
CountryMark
Entec Stations
Exxon
Hawaii Fueling Network (HFN)
Holiday Stationstores, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
MFA Oil Co.
Mileage Stations
Mobil
Ohana Fuels
Phillips 66
Quik Trip
Rebel Oil
Road Ranger
Severson Oil
Shell
Texaco
Tri-Par Oil Co.
U.S. Oil

bigtone1013
06-06-12, 03:02 PM
Since I've had mine, I have only put 93 in from Shell.

hcvone
06-06-12, 03:37 PM
Since I've had mine, I have only put 93 in from Shell.

Me too, I guess owning a Shell station doesn't count ;) It helps filling the snowmobiles up.

K9Caddy
06-06-12, 05:21 PM
I've actually heard on many occasions, that Shell is one of the worst ones for quality fuel. Heard this from different guys who tune or go to the track.

48Dodge
06-06-12, 06:03 PM
Shell is what I fill up with unless on the road. It's sold locally with no ethanol.

hcvone
06-06-12, 07:46 PM
I've actually heard on many occasions, that Shell is one of the worst ones for quality fuel. Heard this from different guys who tune or go to the track.

In the Corvette world that was Sunoco, local Chevy dealerships told customers not to use Sunoco, so I ran nothing but Sunoco in 3 C4's and never had an issue. Shell was one of the first Top Tier fuels to be tested, been running nothing but Shell fuel in my snowmobiles since 1982, the price was right. ;) I think at least 4 of my Escalade never had anything but Shell gas in them ever, of course alot can depend on each station too controlling water is a big thing in a lot of areas.

Braknglases07
06-07-12, 03:50 PM
Shell and Mobil are top quality gas suppliers, on a site note, I almost always use premium why do i still have the dreaded rough idle? any ideas, had throttle body clean air filter gas treatments and maf cleaned

hannity
06-13-12, 12:05 AM
I used premium when I had mine. I have had cars that have spark knocked when using a lower grade than recommended. Since these engines have the propensity to knock anyway I would use premium.

corvette00
06-13-12, 09:37 AM
I have not used premium in my 10 or 12 and never had issues

zogg
06-13-12, 09:49 AM
I just bought an 07 EXT and checked the owner's manual. It says that regular is fine for normal driving but premium should be used for towing or if an increase in performance is needed.

The dealer filled it with regular and it seems to drive fine getting 16+ mpg. I will certainly try a tank or two of premium to see if there is a difference.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-13-12, 03:43 PM
Katie-

K9Caddy,

I'm sorry that I just saw your question now! Top Tier Detergent gasoline is a class of gasoline that has enhanced detergency and meets the voluntary deposit control standards developed by four automotive companies (GM, BMW, Honda, and Toyota) that exceed the detergent requirements set by the EPA. Check out the helpful Top Tier FAQ sheet here! (http://www.gmfleet.com/pdf/TechTip_0905_TopTierGasoline.pdf)

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

evois
06-14-12, 11:02 PM
I would use premium if pumping from kroger, SAMs club, but would settle for mid grade or premium using shell. I like to pump from bp, shell, sunoco, QT, mobil, exxon, texaco. Btw, the hybrid 6.0 takes regular. The manual of the 6.2 requires premium.

thebigpunn
06-15-12, 06:15 PM
Put premium in your Escalade! It will run so much better. There is a trade-off in that poor perfmance may hurt your mileage and like others noted what about possible engine damage?

Mxz71
06-17-12, 01:12 PM
The ECM will adjust for both regular and premium and even a mixture of the two. Running regular will not damage the engine. While it is a recommendation to run premium for maximum performance, it is not an issue. Maybe the knocking the few of you are hearing is the beginning of the lovely piston slap we all end up dealing with at some point!