: JUST BOUGHT 1995 DEVILLE. Stalling and MAP Code issue?? and Possible related problem

Gregor77
06-05-12, 10:00 AM
MY 95 4.9 sometimes dies at a stop. Full tank of gas. The codes say "MAP is out of range". I assume I can replace the MAP myself but do I have to have the codes cleared before it works? Also, can I clear the codes on my dash or do I need to take it to a dealer?

Next question: as I drove on the higway at around 68+ MPH I would feel the transmission ever so slightly shift back an forth, depending on the speed. Could the above MAP issue be causing this problem? You could hardly feel it shift.

Final Question: I cannot get Cruise to engage. There is a code that says Left front speed sensor continuity or something like that. Can I change that and if so, where the heck is it?

Is there a good repair manual you recommend for all these codes and this car?

Thanks for your time,
Gregor77

cadillac_al
06-05-12, 10:29 AM
What's the question? The diagnostics says check the MAP sensor. It either isn't getting vacuum or it is not working. A bad MAP will cause all your symptoms. Check Ebay for a fsm, they are very valuable if you do your own maintenance.

Gregor77
06-05-12, 11:00 AM
My question was "if I replace the part (MAP) do I need to have a dealer clear the codes or is it done on the dash?"
Thanks,

dennis93coupe
06-05-12, 02:58 PM
You can clear the codes yourself. Alll of that can be done on your dash which buttons you push on your climate control. Read the sticky at the top of the page, "How to pull codes". I belive yours is still OBD 1, was right on the border of the change to OBD 2.

If you have a base DeVille, you should have the 4.9L, correct? You don't have a Northstar do you? The MAP is very easy to change on a 4.9L. I have some pictures, will post those later.

Fix the MAP problem before you assume there is a trans problem. When you mentioned you can't get the cruise to engage, and have a MAP problem, sounds like you have a vacuum line off or something leaking a lot of vacuum. You might have a hose off the cruise solenoid.

Speed sensor code, jack up the wheel suspect location and pull the wheel off. Check the wiring harness for broken, worn insulation, disconnected things like that. You might have a hub going bad and if so, the hub will need to be replaced if the speed sensor is bad.

The FSM for your car is a set of 2 manuals, you need both if you are keeping this car and doing the work yourself.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=1995+cadillac&_sacat=6029&_dmpt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&_odkw=1993+cadillac&_osacat=6029&bkBtn=&_trksid=p4506.m270.l1313

And if you insist on having new...

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Style=helm&Mfg=GMC&Make=CAD&Model=DEVI&Year=1995&Category=&Keyword=&Module=&selected%5Fmedia=

Sevillian273
06-06-12, 08:39 PM
He has a 4.9, N* uses a MAF instead.

You dont even "have to" clear the codes as the system will recognize the new part after just one ignition cycle and then set the code as 'history'. It's one of the easiest sensors to change - 9/32 bolts x2, one connector, one vacuum hose. I agree with above, change that first. Many engine issues can feel like trans problems. Also there are a handful of codes that when set current, will disable the cruise control. MAP could be one of them. I dont think the cruise relies on the speed sensor since I have the same engine control system but no speed sensors. Could be wrong. :dunno:

+1 for FSM. Priceless.

drewsdeville
06-07-12, 12:00 AM
FWIW, like many recent engines, the N* uses a combination of BOTH a map and maf sensor.

dennis93coupe
06-07-12, 09:48 AM
This is what your MAP sensor looks like. It is on a bracket above the valve cover.

http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u461/dennis93coupe/Emissions/MAPSENSOR02528.jpg

Sevillian273
06-07-12, 06:33 PM
FWIW, like many recent engines, the N* uses a combination of BOTH a map and maf sensor.

:rolleyes:

God dammit drew. God dammit. :D

drewsdeville
06-07-12, 08:30 PM
Sorry. Just wanted to make it clear that a question about a MAP sensor doesn't automatically make it a 4.X topic. That could create some confusion