: My airbags deployed during an auto cross on power tour!1!!

V Wagon
06-04-12, 12:04 AM
Slow, slow auto x at Power Tour, never got out of first gear. Air bags and seat belt pretensioners deployed. Car is at a dealer in Muskegon Michigan, I planned on long hauling, I better get a loaner, all my hotels are prepaid. I don't need new new airbags for the trip, but we need to be able to put on our seat belts.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/600337_10102131549484624_8334007_81342593_10056245 88_n.jpg

There should be lots of videos.

Stay away from auto crosses with these pieces of shit and Camaros. I'm sure everyone has seen that video of the Camaro that has the side curtains randomly deploy.

thebigjimsho
06-04-12, 12:11 AM
I can understand your frustration. But let's just keep it to your piece of shit, ummkay? My V has been just fine at autocrosses and track days...

V Wagon
06-04-12, 12:21 AM
I hope no one else has this problem, but this obviously isn't the first, there's the video of the Camaro. And if there are two out there, there have to be more. Lots of things happen outside the bubble of the internet.

PeteK
06-04-12, 03:04 AM
I assume it was the side-curtains and not the fronts, correct? Are they on a separate fuse?

Ludacrisvp
06-04-12, 03:46 AM
Well on a side note, it's nice to see how large they are.

V Wagon
06-04-12, 07:50 AM
Side curtains, yes. A little late to pull the fuse now. I'm stuck in ****ing Muskegon, MI. Hoping the dealer here has seat belts. I have to authorize any repairs, right? Well, if they have seat belts, that all I'm authorizing today and some dealer can fix the rest when I get home. This destroys the headliner and who knows what else. Good thing I got a wagon so the headliner comes out without taking out windows.

neuronbob
06-04-12, 08:26 AM
Wow. Speechless.

V Wagon
06-04-12, 09:33 AM
I'm doing everything I can to make something happen today as far as at least getting seat belts in the car and getting it on the road for the rest of the tour goes. Spoke with the dealer. They were going to look into things and call me back.

----------

Optima loves the car and wants me to do thier shootout thing in TX as well. Gave my friend a card to give me to contact them.

cruiser68
06-04-12, 10:26 AM
I can understand your frustration. But let's just keep it to your piece of shit, ummkay? My V has been just fine at autocrosses and track days...

+1 Been tracking and a few autocrosses with no air bag issues.

I guess every car built in the world is a piece of shit since they all have some type of problem sooner or later. Granted I'd be pissed if it happened but shit happens all the time. My V is certainly not a piece of shit. Sorry you feel that way about yours.

M5eater
06-04-12, 10:40 AM
I've autocrossed here as well, this is interesting to say the least.

rjoffe
06-04-12, 10:47 AM
Any details you can provide as to what was going on when the air bags deployed? Accelerating, decelerating, high g turn, etc ?

V Wagon
06-04-12, 10:50 AM
I loved this car and have defended them here until this happen. but yeah, all cars are pieces of shit :) I've referred to every vehicle I've owned as such at some point for some reason :) Maybe just not on a forum.

Can anyone see this video?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=422285841135393#!/photo.php?v=422285841135393

That's what was going on. Not much of anything really. I had like .92 peak on one side and .87 peak on the other, never left first gear. I guess I was acceling out of a slalom.
That wh

cdog533
06-04-12, 11:46 AM
Just drive it. You don't need seatbelts.

nerddason
06-04-12, 12:57 PM
Man oh man! please keep us updated on this. Sorry all the saggy utters deployed but maybe your just too fast.

cruiser68
06-04-12, 02:05 PM
but yeah, all cars are pieces of shit :) I've referred to every vehicle I've owned as such at some point for some reason :) Maybe just not on a forum.

In that case I completely agree :) I've called all my cars bad names while working on them. Particularly after busting knuckle or throwing a tool :)

Hope they find out what happened. Bet it scared the crap out of you when it happened!

I cannot access the video but my firewall blocks facebook at my company. No need to have my employees on facebook all day :)

Houdini
06-04-12, 02:52 PM
Sadly, this is nothing new on lots of cars. A buddy at work recently hit a pot hole on the interstate in his M3 and his passenger side curtain airbag deployed out of nowhere. It cut fuel and shut the car down. He was barely able to pull over. It cost a TON to fix (like 8+ hours labor plus parts) and it could easily happen again tomorrow. Apparently it's an issue on those M3s but there is no fix. How pathetic is that!?!?

V Wagon
06-04-12, 03:00 PM
Betten Chevy, GMC, caddy in Muskegon has me on the road in a base CTS that they let me have until next Monday. Just doing power tour inthat now and getting my car when we get back. They are fixing it and the whiney diff too

M5eater
06-04-12, 03:48 PM
stiff suspension+ airbag designed for a consumer vehicle+ high G forces (even though .92 isn't a ton, it is more than what the average car sees on public roads) = a lot of unknowns.

Considering onstar is so easy to trick into thinking you've been in an accident I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

GM-4-LIFE
06-04-12, 05:09 PM
This repair is going to take a long time, so just be prepared. GM has to send engineers out to inspect the car to make sure that even if they fix it, the same thing doesn't happen again. I would ask for a vehicle replacement or buyback. Trust me when I tell you this. I had relatives of mine that this happened to and it took months before GM did anything about it. The only good thing about your situation is that you are in Michigan and you may get a faster response from GM Engineering. Being we are way out here in Los Angeles, didn't really matters like this.

thebigjimsho
06-04-12, 06:01 PM
I hope things work out well for you, whatever that entails.

My g meter has hit +1.30 on both sides and I've had OnStar call me after an auto-X run thinking I've had an accident. As long as it's just a call and not a few bags...

smackdownCTSV
06-04-12, 06:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8As1zshWxn0

GM-4-LIFE
06-04-12, 06:22 PM
That's great! OnStar called in cause the car pulled so hard?!!!! LOL!

baabootoo
06-04-12, 06:55 PM
Just cut them out like Sylvester Stallone, they're no good anyway now.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-05-12, 11:33 AM
V Wagon! I'm so sorry to see this happened to you! I can definitely understand your disappointment, and I'm hoping your Cadillac is back in working order for you on Monday. Please keep us updated, and if you would like me to follow-up on concerns you have at any point you can always send me a private message and I'm happy to help where I can!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

larry arizona
06-05-12, 11:56 AM
I am an airbag engineer and it sounds like the sensor (SDM) that deploys the side curtains sensed the car was going to roll. For example is you abruptly turned the car and say hit a curd,rumble strip etc that popped the vehicle on two wheels very quickly it would trigger the airbag sensor to deploy. Be happy that the V has 5 star safety rating and this is part of what makes this such a safe vehicle.

With that said, you can simply tuck the curtains up into the headliner temporarily and use your safety belts even though the pretentioners are deployed and you will still have safety belt restraint on your drive home.

GM-4-LIFE
06-05-12, 12:02 PM
I am an airbag engineer and it sounds like the sensor (SDM) that deploys the side curtains sensed the car was going to roll. For example is you abruptly turned the car and say hit a curd,rumble strip etc that popped the vehicle on two wheels very quickly it would trigger the airbag sensor to deploy. Be happy that the V has 5 star safety rating and this is part of what makes this such a safe vehicle.

With that said, you can simply tuck the curtains up into the headliner temporarily and use your safety belts even though the pretentioners are deployed and you will still have safety belt restraint on your drive home.

Would this be covered under warranty?

larry arizona
06-05-12, 12:06 PM
No. The car did what it was designed to do. Protect you. Now Insurance would cover it as an accident claim. Pretty obvious that airbag and belt deploys mean either and accident or accident avoidance. Seems like a simple claim to me

nynd
06-05-12, 12:50 PM
No. The car did what it was designed to do. Protect you. Now Insurance would cover it as an accident claim. Pretty obvious that airbag and belt deploys mean either and accident or accident avoidance. Seems like a simple claim to me

Thats sort of crap in that in future, there will be this work order on side curtain bags replaced which would make someone think its been involved in an accident = depreciation. Again -sucks.

Bigron
06-05-12, 01:14 PM
Plus my insurance rates go up since a sensor was too sensitive? I agree better safe than sorry, but if my bags went off when I took a turn too hard I would be upset.
Katie any comment?

Also in the ATS commerical they have the thing on two wheels saying we can compete with BMW. Would that set off an airbag?

larry arizona
06-05-12, 01:34 PM
again, the sensors is not too sensitive, it is designed to trigger the bag prior to roll over to keep you inside the car. Its called occupant mitigation. At some point in his turn the car saw enough yaw to deploy the airbag (high G turn with a big dip might be enough to do it). Not a warranty claim, its an insurance claim. GM can't go designing cars for the few who race, they build cars to protect the masses that NHTSA forces them too. Lets be clear that these are NHTSA requirements that all OEM's must meet to sell cars in the USA. GM is required to meet these FMVSS requirements. This is not a GM specific autocross problem.

Now if you know you are racing the car, I am sure you can pull the airbag fuses and assume the risk if you wreck the car.

----------

To be fair, I too would be UPSET if I put my V into a high G turn and POW have the curtains deploy. Its not cool. I am just trying to explain that this is what side curtains are designed to do.

Wonder if when GM ran the "Ring" if they pulled any fuses??? Two schools of thought here. Pleasing NHTSA or Autocrossing a car that is designed and marketed to being a valid road racer out of the box.

Ludacrisvp
06-05-12, 01:36 PM
My personal opinion sounds like this may have been a defective sensor. Based on the description he was still in 1st gear and I just can't imagine that having enough g-force / yaw movement to make the car expect a rollover. I would suggest that they pull the info out of the "flight recorder" that we all know is in the car and determine why it triggered. The insurance company may not cover it simply because it was on the track at the time.

cdog533
06-05-12, 01:47 PM
Here's my question: What fuse do I pull?

larry arizona
06-05-12, 02:00 PM
I will try and look up the fuse to pull later today.

Luda, I got a feeling the car was being driven harder than described. Not calling anyone an exaggerator but just saying airbag deploys happen in milliseconds and there is no way you can tell what the car saw at "that" moment. Defective SDM's are rare. 1 in a million.

PeteK
06-05-12, 03:01 PM
Hmm, on my wife's FJ, there is a button to disable roll sensing on the curtain airbags, but they will still deploy on the other factor in the algorithm, lateral acceleration. It would be interesting if we found out which input played a roll here. I see it's on Jalopnik now, so I'm guessing we're possibly more likely to get a response from GM.

karpora
06-05-12, 03:03 PM
http://youtu.be/JmB_f4NMmF4

nynd
06-05-12, 03:11 PM
Even got a video - thats definitely going to help the cause. There didn't seem to be any "high g" rollover potential there. Hum... do I sense a software change coming...

Maybe it was a defective sensor, I guess once they get into it, they'll know.

stabie
06-05-12, 03:18 PM
It might be useful to have a sticky thread with a list of stuff to do before/after tracking the car. Looks like it would have oil diff cooler recommended, change oil after, pull air bag fuses, ???. I know my vette manual has a specific set of recommendations when racing. The caddy manual does not as it covers the non-V and V. Even a base vette gets raced. Maybe Katie could even check with GM engineering to get a good list.

OneFast V
06-05-12, 03:27 PM
somebody's famous
http://jalopnik.com/5915824/watch-a-cadillac-cts+vs-airbags-explode-during-a-pre+wedding-autocross

V Wagon
06-05-12, 03:45 PM
There's an article with a video on jalopnik. Watch it and then come back here and tell me the air bags should have gone off and were keeping me safe

GM-4-LIFE
06-05-12, 03:46 PM
My in-laws' 2010 SRX was bought back last year when BOTH side impact airbags deployed on them at 2 MPH. GM Engineers came out and extracted the black box data and verified this. I witnessed the event and they were backing out of a parking spot and then the airbags deployed. GM bought the car back and covered the costs of their injury as well. Anything can happen in modern vehicles.

FLTRI
06-05-12, 03:55 PM
Subscribing.

I'm betting GM is gonna keep your car for quite a while trying to figure out why they deployed...

larry arizona
06-05-12, 04:32 PM
wow that looks tame. It DOES look like something is wrong. I pulled a harder turn yesterday in my V. Hope GM helps you out.

cdog533
06-05-12, 06:38 PM
I pull turns harder than that leaving my driveway!

BWhite58
06-05-12, 07:22 PM
Will insurance companies cover autocrossing ?

Dr. Design
06-05-12, 08:17 PM
Sorry to hear about this. Hope everything turns out okay. Given their (GM's) track record regarding stuff like this, I am sure they will make it right. Most of the guys that run in the Cadillac Challenge pull the airbag fuses before hitting the track. That's the best way to deal with this as you never know what the sensors are reading sometimes. Good luck!

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

neuronbob
06-05-12, 08:51 PM
Wow. I am no automotive engineer, but no way should the airbags have deployed at any point during that autocross based on the video.

GM got some 'splainin to do.

Moneypenny
06-06-12, 12:29 AM
Oh, and by the way, congratulations on your wedding. May you have many happy, airbag-deployment-free years of marriage.

GM-4-LIFE
06-06-12, 02:54 AM
And to think I was in a car accident with my V and no airbags deployed...WTF!

turbol15
06-06-12, 08:00 AM
Insist on a buy back. Get rid of it.

larry arizona
06-06-12, 09:26 AM
How would the insurance company know that he was autocrossing? But in hindsight it appears that something is wrong in the deployment loop.

CTS-V-Twin, not to bring up old wounds but you said you were in an accident and your bags didnt go off? You have the black diamond coupe that was was recently in a few car pile up right? It looked like you may have hit the rear end of the car or got pushed into the car in front of you. Unless you were doing 22 to 24MPH plus (SDM's are set to fire at this minimum MPH range) your airbags and belt pretentioners should not go off. Consider yourself lucky they didnt deploy ( Big $$$$ and Instrument Panel replacement is not fun).

M5eater
06-06-12, 09:38 AM
How would the insurance company know that he was autocrossing? But in hindsight it appears that something is wrong in the deployment loop.

CTS-V-Twin, not to bring up old wounds but you said you were in an accident and your bags didnt go off? You have the black diamond coupe that was was recently in a few car pile up right? It looked like you may have hit the rear end of the car or got pushed into the car in front of you. Unless you were doing 22 to 24MPH plus (SDM's are set to fire at this minimum MPH range) your airbags and belt pretentioners should not go off. Consider yourself lucky they didnt deploy ( Big $$$$ and Instrument Panel replacement is not fun).
Just because you're in an accident does not mean the bags should go off. Bags are not supposed to be flully pillows to gently massage your face to a hault. They cause burns and can break bones, they can even kill small children, they're designed to keep you alive. Bags going off in low-speed accidents cause way more harm than good, and it's why the technology continues to evolve with dual-stage deployment, and weight sensors to deactivate when children or no passengers occupy the front seats.

larry arizona
06-06-12, 10:32 AM
Not to turn this into airbags 101 but the hardest part of Airbag design is protecting children whose parents let their little monkeys crawl around unbelted in the front seat and play on the dash board. We have invented what is called low risk deployment (LRD) to save these kids with retarded parents. Last I checked kids belong in the back seat in a belted car seat or belted when they outgrow a car seat. If in a 2 seater car they should still be belted.

Best advice is ALWAYS wear your sealt belts, they do 80% of the life saving work, the Airbag does the final 20%. They are aggressive and do hurt when deployed, but better than not having one at all. The belt and bag work together well. Good luck with a airbag if you are unbelted. Although we design for idiots that dont wear belts too, an Airbag alone can't do it all and you will still get messed up. Airbags are Supplemental restraint systems (SRS). Belts are primary.

----------

I have never personally been hit by an airabg deployment (knock on wood), but through many years of crash testing and airabg development it has often been described as getting punched square in the face and chest by a 250lb fighter. If you wear your belt it will reduce this significantly but still hurts.

I bet I will hear the story about peeps that refuse to wear belts because A: They know someone whose car went in a body of water and they couldnt get out and drowned and B: Got in a wreck and car caught on fire and couldnt get out. Both are BS in general and although may have happened, it was not the belt that caused them to get stuck. If I got paid $1 for the times I heard those 2 excuses I could have paid cash for my V. Officially off of my soap box now!

GM-4-LIFE
06-06-12, 11:44 AM
Yes, sir. I was the last car in a 4 car pile up and my V Coupe sustained $13K in damage WITHOUT any airbags deploying. I am very grateful that the airbags didn't deploy as my wife shattered her wrist on an airbag during an accident in a 2009 SRX. After two surgeries, she still experiences pain daily and I hate airbags. I wish airbags didn't exist or they deployed differently. The crash she was in was about a 30 MPH collision when someone made a U turn in front of her car from the curbside. The car my wife broad-sided didn't even look before making the U turn. Accident happened in June of 2009 and we are still battling it out with the rental car company that owned the car that caused the accident. Airbags are NOT fun. If the airbag didn't deploy in my wife's crash, she would have walked away without any injuries.

I was just making a point that I was in an actual accident and no airbags deployed and the OP was autocrossing his car and they deployed. By the time I hit the car in front of me, I was going less than 10 MPH.

larry arizona
06-06-12, 03:48 PM
CTS-V-Twin. I am sorry to hear about your wifes injury and struggle due to airbag interaction. Please don't think she would have been better off without it. Crash tests show extreme injuries (neck flexion and chest compression are high with just belts at 30) and death at 30mph impacts. Airbags are aggressive for a reason, but they save lives at the cost of some lesser injuries (in no way minimizing her pain). I have always wanted to print on airbags "If you can read this smile you are still alive"

All I am saying is I am happy she is here today.

FLTRI
06-06-12, 03:53 PM
OP: Curious if you did the run with the your seat belts off, using 5-points maybe? Cars "know" when the belt isn't fastened, and the computer could have "thought" you were unbelted and about to be launched out of your seat, and decided side deployment was needed...

larry arizona
06-06-12, 04:01 PM
if his belt pre tensioners fired he was wearing his belt.

FLTRI
06-06-12, 04:12 PM
Not necessarily.

I've investigated many a traffic accident and seen the bags deployed and tensioner fired. The seatbelt stuck in the fully retracted position, and tight as a guitar string. When the driver tells me he was wearing his belt, I have him sit in the car and show me how he had it buckled. It's comical watching them tug at the fully retracted belt, not knowing the car locked the belt in place when the tensioners fired...

larry arizona
06-06-12, 04:20 PM
GM does not make the FMVSS requirements, NHTSA does. The government tells the OEM's what the crash test requirements need to be. If the OEM's dont pass the requirements they cant sell the car. So the government decides what injuries are acceptable, meaning non life threatining injuries versus those that are. That is what makes up the star ratings. GM is top 2 in 5 star vehicles (including the CTS-V being 5 star). You are all driving a VERY safe car. We should thank GM for that.

----------

FLTRI, my apologies, You may be abosultely correct. I am an Airbag engineer, not a belt engineer. Our company makes bags belts steering wheels and SDMs etc.

FLTRI
06-06-12, 05:10 PM
Larry, I get to see the results of your work on a daily basis, and I 100% agree with you on many points.

First off, air bags don't get it wrong. The computer knows whether or not the occupants are belted, angle of collision, G-load and a bunch of other stuff you can explain better than I can. Secondly, an airbag deployment is a very violent event. Many times the the accident is reported as a vehicle on fire as well. Most of the time it's only the smoke from air bag deployment. As you know, it's a explosive charge that inflates them, and this puts out more smoke than most folks realize. I've used air bag burns to identify a hit & run driver more than once. Thirdly, the OP's event has to be a 1 in a million error. Air bags simply don't go off for no reason. Can you imagine the carnage and law suits if they did? Had the OP been doing 80 on a decreasing radius off ramp, and they deployed, it could have ended very poorly for him and anyone else on the ramp with him...

As you design these things, I'm curious as to what you think the series of inputs the computer received, that made it think side deployment was needed? Could the G-load transitioning rapidly from left to right, combined with an unbelted driver (using 5-points, factory belts removed or unfastened) convince the computer that a roll over was imminent, or that a side impact had in fact occurred?

nynd
06-06-12, 05:41 PM
When you look at that video, you realize that its not a violent turn, hence if this was a "system issue" you'd hear many more instances of bag deployment. Having said that, most likely, it's a defective sensor that made it onto the vehicle which under the right circumstances, caused it to deploy. Maybe a solder ball in the unit, who knows, but electronics are not at a 0 ppm manufacturing level so consider this the 1 that got away with a defect. I'm sure GM will review this in detail.

V Wagon
06-07-12, 10:16 AM
OP: Curious if you did the run with the your seat belts off, using 5-points maybe? Cars "know" when the belt isn't fastened, and the computer could have "thought" you were unbelted and about to be launched out of your seat, and decided side deployment was needed...

I had the OEM seat belt on. I've never attempted to install harnesses in a stock vehicle and would not do so in a vehicle without a cage. My car is 100% stock at this point. Not that I haven't been working on doing some things (I do own Hoosiers for it but wasn't going to haul them along on a 3000 mile road trip, I have everything I need to build a diff cooler but have some diff whine that needed fixed before installing that), but none of them have made it on to the car yet. The only thing about the car that isn't how it rolled out of Lansing is the oil

----------

if his belt pre tensioners fired he was wearing his belt.

The passenger belt also fired though. And when the belts fire they don't move anymore. The passenger front belt was locked up tight against the interior and the driver belt was a good foot ana half from being able to reconnect when I sat in the seat. They get TIGHT!

BLEWBYUWIT6.2
06-07-12, 01:30 PM
wow......im speachless

larry arizona
06-07-12, 04:21 PM
FLTRI, Seeing the video makes me think that this should not have happened as it did. Bags would deploy with belts on or not and likely at the same rate. So either the SDM felt the car was rolling or the SDM deplyed too soon (failed). Hard to prove post deploy. Keep in mind this is not a defective airbag, it is a questionable firing loop/SDM.

Teutonaddict
06-07-12, 04:35 PM
Just wanna say props to both larry arizona and FLTRI for sharing their unique, informed perspective with the board. Has helped me learn a lot about what goes into our safety systems, and what it looks like at the back end after they've been employed. Thanks for your contributions, gents.

V Wagon, hope you're enjoying your honeymoon and power tour! This will all work out in the end, but know that you landed one heckuva wife to support your gearhead hobbies like this. Congrats!

larry arizona
06-07-12, 04:44 PM
teutonaddict, Happy to share. It is a pretty cool job to save lives, But frustrating to engineer for many "idiots" aka idiotproofing. But you can be confident that your modern cars go through intense design and testing to help save your life in almost any imagineable situation. You won't always survive in a crash, but you are given every possible chance with wearing your belts and having so many airbag systems in a modern vehicle. NHTSA is constantly raising the bar. So a 5 star vehicle today is much safer than a 5 star vehicle say 8 years ago.

FLTRI
06-07-12, 04:54 PM
Seeing the video makes me think that this should not have happened as it did. I think that goes without saying, pretty mild low speed track. If this was a common occurrence, we (and GM) would certainly know about it, and there would be a massive recall.

Bags would deploy with belts on or not and likely at the same rate. I thought most new cars had 2-3 stage airbags? I also thought the computer "knows" whether or not the occupants are belted, and adjusts deployment accordingly, not true???

Hard to prove post deploy. Doesn't OBD II save the last 20 seconds or so of data, including speed, brake position, G-loads, throttle position, deployment, etc? Our Fatal Detectives always pull that data.

Keep in mind this is not a defective airbag, it is a questionable firing loop/SDM. I'm super curious to what GM comes up with as to why they deployed. Not arguing with you btw, just trying to learn...

Just wanna say props to both larry arizona and FLTRI for sharing... Thanks man. I'm learning things here too. Interesting thread. Well, maybe not so much for V Wagon... Congrats on the nuptials, btw!!!

larry arizona
06-07-12, 05:12 PM
only single and dual stage airbags so far. OMG if they add a 3rd stage god help me HA! On a dual stage inflator the first and second stage are speed dependent and not belted or unbelted dependent. Airbags fire the same regardless if you are wearing your belt or not. Depending on the vehicle there is a threshold speed where the second stage is dpeloyed to help get the bag in position quicker. So for example, if the min speed for a bag deploy is 24 MPH then you will likely get a friendlier single stage deployment of the AB. Your threshold speed for second stage may be about 35MPH, a crash at 35 compared to 24MPH is exponential in MANY aspects so it is critical to get the bag into position much faster hence the need of the additional second stage of the inflator. It really is much more complex than this as to why cushions need to be softer or firmer for certain conditons but I can tell you there is a TON that goes into airbag design (cushion ,size shape, venting materials etc) Just trying to make it simple to understand.

larry arizona
06-07-12, 05:13 PM
you would know better what data is stored. We dont (someone does though) do much post crash test analysis of the SDM loop. My focus is the airbags.

V Wagon
06-11-12, 03:04 PM
Picked the car up this morning. It was good as new and appears to have been covered. Unless it can rejected and they can try to charge me later? All is good now though. Just have to figure out what to disconnect for insurance in the future.

V Wagon
06-18-12, 11:00 PM
Someone on corvetteforum saw this happen to another V wagon.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1581100161-post27.html
Skip to the last paragraph

I don't know about coupes and sedans but if you're going to do anything with a wagon I would strongly suggest you first check the fuses part of the owner's manual. There's an airbag fuse underhood and in the rear. I'm assuming pulling both would prevent this.

V Wagon
06-18-12, 11:05 PM
Maybe a warning needs added to the attention all new v owners sticky...

FLTRI
06-18-12, 11:08 PM
Did GM ever give you a reason why they went off?

V Wagon
06-18-12, 11:24 PM
I was told they were waiting for the SDM to come back to see what they could find out from it and based on what it said may want to check out the car.

DavidPR
04-18-13, 10:36 PM
Sorry to revive this old thread. I want to autocross my V, but I got scared after seeing the videos in Youtube of this incident. The only other video I could find of this happening was in a current model Camaro (similar GM platform). Can someone point me to that airbag fuse, so I can pull it and not having to worry about an airbag blowing in my face? Thanks.