: NAME...THAT....NOISE!...on my '09 CTS-V that the dealer just can't fix (video)

firepwr
06-03-12, 11:01 AM
Hey all-
I have three issues that I've been struggling with on my '09 CTS-V.

The first (no video) is a metallic rattle on the front right wheel when hitting sharp dips above 30mph. Sounds very much like flat washers loosely bouncing against each other, but they haven't been able to pinpoint it. Also, when in sport suspension mode (stiffer shocks), it is less prevalent. I've dealt with this one the longest, and I was told by one Cadillac tech that he has seen it before and that it was in the a-frame somewhere, but that he would need it much longer to diagnose it.

The second is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6h2C8KXde4 it is a squeak/groan that I get from the left front wheel, when there is a shock compression, either by turning up an incline (like a driveway), or turning under moderate braking, or during heavy braking. Normally is under 10mph. They've replaced the sway bar links/bushings to try and fix it, but to no avail. I am starting to think that it is something with the spring/spring boot, since it does have a rubber-ish type of squeak.

The third is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDREG9W2xpo this is the scary one. it comes and goes, but its been around for about 5k miles now and is getting worse. the first time i heard it and took it in, the diff needed to be replaced and they hoped that would fix it. it went away for a while, then came back. ive taken it in three times since, and the first time it couldnt be replicated, the second time they tried a TSB for the transmission propeller shaft which calls for loctite and 24hr setup time, but they didn't let it set up fully before I took the car back. So when it came back, they figured it just didn't set up properly, and re-did that service. No dice-it is still there, and worse than ever. it isn't always there, nor is always the same volume. sometimes it is louder and heavier, other times it just isn't there at all. it is speed-dependent, but it doesn't correlate with the rotate of the wheel-it seems like it correlates with the rotation of the driveshaft. the sound feels somewhat hollow/contained, but it is a heavy tock-tock-tock when it gets bad. at high speed, it fills the cabin when it is at it's loudest, and it is nerve-wreaking.

To add to it all...I have 1500 miles left on the factory warranty, and I am about to move from Richmond to Orlando in a few days (so knock off another 750 miles from that). So...I get one more shot at making sure they fix it!

cruiser68
06-03-12, 11:59 AM
I've got problem number 2 also except I can hear mine at other corners too. Took it into the dealer. First thing they did was put it on a rack and inspect. Took it for a drive, dead quiet. Took the service manager for a ride, dead quiet. Gave me the car back, dead quiet for about a week then back to normal squeaking.

I've got to make time to have the service manager take a ride with me so he can actually hear it. To me, it sound like a metal on rubber squeak like maybe a spring rubbing on the rubber mounting surface???

smackdownCTSV
06-03-12, 12:36 PM
Try taking it to another local dealer otherwise maybe the local dealer where you'll move can figure it out.

Dr. Design
06-03-12, 01:50 PM
#3 sounds like a bad cv. Could also be the driveshaft center support bearing.

You might want to try another dealership locally before you move. Some techs are a little more diligent in their diag approach.

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

sybersport
06-04-12, 01:08 AM
I have the 2nd problem. The shop wasn't able to diagnose it - I can't reproduce the sound unless I'm going down a steep decline (I only hear it when I'm driving down into my parking garage.)

firepwr
06-04-12, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the feedback, all. I am talking it to a different GM dealership today (since there isn't another Cadillac dealership in a reasonable distance. Let's hope a different set of eyes will help!

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-04-12, 10:44 AM
firepwr, I can document your feedback and set up an official service request for you if the noise concerns persist after your dealership trip today. But hopefully all goes well and you won't be playing the name game for much longer! I'm very sorry to see you've been experiencing these frustrations.

Please don't hesitate to contact me anytime via PM or email (Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com) if you need any further assistance while you move; I'd be happy to locate dealerships in your new zip code.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

cbhman
06-04-12, 11:09 AM
I had something that was close to the sound you have for #2. I only was getting the noise backing up on inclines or going over a speed bump. My dealership found that the steering intermediate shaft was causing the noise and when they replaced it the noise was gone. Maybe something to have your dealership check.

The part number from my invoice is 20908166 with a description of Shaft 6.525. Hope this helps.

silversled
06-09-12, 09:42 AM
I have noise #2. For me it is repeatable when hard on the brakes with antilocks on and the turning left. I just demonstrated this to the tech and immediately suspected a front end control rod bushing. He said he's seen it before. After looking at my front tires he knew I cornered the car aggressively. I guess "heavy front engine = high front bushing wear". I'll provide updates as they come. My SRX loaner isn't as inspiring at the moment.

V locity
06-09-12, 11:17 AM
Got the same front end squeek here... I do corner hard also... Want to take it to the sdealer, just afraid of those 100 mile joy(test) rides!!!

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-09-12, 04:21 PM
I have noise #2. For me it is repeatable when hard on the brakes with antilocks on and the turning left. I just demonstrated this to the tech and immediately suspected a front end control rod bushing. He said he's seen it before. After looking at my front tires he knew I cornered the car aggressively. I guess "heavy front engine = high front bushing wear". I'll provide updates as they come. My SRX loaner isn't as inspiring at the moment.

We're looking forward to hearing more and if we can look into anything for you we're only a private message away (include the last 8 of your VIN, please, for us to get started).
Regards,
Sarah (Assisting Katie)

silversled
06-10-12, 09:51 PM
We're looking forward to hearing more and if we can look into anything for you we're only a private message away (include the last 8 of your VIN, please, for us to get started).
Regards,
Sarah (Assisting Katie)

Sarah,

Will do. Thanks for the followup. At this time, I'm going to give my dealer the opportunity to rectify the issue.

Vic

silversled
06-11-12, 12:28 PM
Sarah,

Will do. Thanks for the followup. At this time, I'm going to give my dealer the opportunity to rectify the issue.

Vic

Update to noise #2: Got a call from my dealer. They and GMTAC have decided this morning to change out the right lower control arm assembly. They have ordered the part and it should arrive tomorrow. Dealer has been quick and proactive. While waiting for the part, they are addressing my Ultrview rattle.

PS. Been tracking mileage on the car with my iPhone Onstar app. The had it all weekend and only did two miles this morning about one hour before calling me with a diagnosis. No problems.