: Lock Pick / Nav-TV Backup Camera for 2009 question

fastpharmd
06-03-12, 02:15 AM
Howdy,

I just bought a 2009 V Sedan and I am really interested in putting in a backup camera that functions like the newer V's.

I seem to have found a couple options, Nav-TV offers a product package that retails for $700 for the backup function and $300 for navigation/DVD in motion, and Coastal Tech offers similar functionality at a cheaper price but currently not available for at least a few months.

Does anyone else know of other options, or an outlet for Nav-TV that's under retail price?

I'm not sure it's worth over a grand for backup camera and install.

Reeper
06-04-12, 04:40 PM
you can purchase a back up camera (license plate mount or similar) off of ebay, and also buy a rearview mirror with built in screen (try GNTX-657). I spent a total of $218.00. mirror $200 and camera $18. or you can try your luck at hardwiring it into your nav harness.

Purple87SS
06-05-12, 09:05 AM
I'd like to retain the factory look of the OnStar mirror, like these guys are doing. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130589

fastpharmd
06-05-12, 05:31 PM
I saw the in-mirror displays as an option, but it is not what I want.

I want it to function exactly as the new models, with the navi screen popping up and displaying the camera.

Purple87SS
06-06-12, 10:14 AM
Me too, but it looks like a much harder install, that I don't have any time or desire to tackle.

NathanScott
06-11-12, 08:27 PM
Howdy,

I just bought a 2009 V Sedan and I am really interested in putting in a backup camera that functions like the newer V's.

I seem to have found a couple options, Nav-TV offers a product package that retails for $700 for the backup function and $300 for navigation/DVD in motion, and Coastal Tech offers similar functionality at a cheaper price but currently not available for at least a few months.

Does anyone else know of other options, or an outlet for Nav-TV that's under retail price?

I'm not sure it's worth over a grand for backup camera and install.

Do you have link to the above Nav-TV packages? I cannot find them on their websites.

Madmax0609
06-24-12, 03:32 PM
I cant believe no one has done a rearview cam on their 09-10 V. I think the rearview mirror is the perfect place for the camera. Either this mod is a major pain in the ass or people just get used to the rear sensors. If I buy an 09-10 V I will definitely do a rear cam mod. I am currently looking for an 09 thru 11 V, hoping to get an 11 just for the camera, but if an 09-10 graces my driveway then I will install rearview camera.

Reeper
06-25-12, 08:53 PM
not a pain only took me a couple hours,lol. and the mirror is an OnStar mirror just like factory. (see 2nd post)

taken
06-26-12, 07:07 AM
I had what you are asking about in my 2010. The NAVTV camera replaces one of your license plate lights with a light camera combo. Looks TOTALLY OEM. Then it uses a Mito onstar mirror with the camera showing up on the left hand side. I didn't want the one that shows up in the NAV screen. #1, I don't leave my screen up 99% of the time and didn't want to have to raise it every time I wanted to use the cam. (It doesn't raise automatically when the camera comes on.) #2, I really prefer having the camera in the mirror. It's much easier to transition from looking at the mirror to the camera image when they are in the same location. I've had a few cars that have it in the NAV screen. I find I use it much less when it's there as I don't like looking up at the mirror, then down at the camera, then back up, etc. (I don't use the camera exclusively when backing. Still use the mirror too.) I also had the NAVTV lockpick. It's not true plug and play as you have to cut and splice one wire. Not a big deal, but for that reason I'm going back to Coastal Tech for my 2013. I can't comment on the ease of install as I had a shop do it, but I did uninstall when I traded my 2010. Doesn't seem too hard, and I may attempt it myself this time round....