: 2009 V ran out of gas and won't start!

kstoff
06-02-12, 10:27 PM
Wife ran the car out of gas while idling in the garage. I added 2 gallons of gas but it still won't start. Battery is cranking the engine over just fine but that's it. I was thinking I may need to add more gas, although I would expect the car to start with a half gallon of fuel so I'm not too confident that will work. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

Kyle

cruiser68
06-02-12, 10:37 PM
I would turn the key to run, wait 10 seconds, then off then repeat a few times (5) to prime the pump and lines. Then try it. Two gallons should be plenty as I have been lower than that when I refilled.

kstoff
06-02-12, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the info. Tried and no luck. Car is still nowhere close to firing up. Cranks over but seems like it isn't getting spark or fuel.

wcryan
06-03-12, 12:08 AM
any check engine lights?

tbauer
06-03-12, 02:31 AM
You might check the fuses and try unhooking the battery to see if that resets something. Just a shot in the dark.

baabootoo
06-03-12, 01:38 PM
I'd try more gas since maybe the pump isn't primed like was said, and it might be sitting at the wrong angle.

Airfoto
06-03-12, 03:31 PM
When you run a FUEL INJECTED car out of gas is a major issue because of the air in the preassured fuel line - there something to do with the way the pump operates and it causes a VAPOR lock in the line - is different then an asperated car - I know this didn't help much - but you need to get the car to the dealer!

JimmyH
06-03-12, 04:55 PM
My guess would be dirt/crud in the gas tank got pulled into and clogged the fuel line.
I have run three different cars with EFI (my 05 V included) out of gas and after pouring in a gallon of gas they fired right up.

Rockey
06-03-12, 06:36 PM
Try bleeding the schraeder valve on the fuel line

tedcmiller
06-03-12, 11:58 PM
My guess would be that 1/2 gallon is not enought, particularly if the car is sitting on a angle. Try two or three gallons.

CTSV12
06-04-12, 07:58 PM
OP already said he tried 2 gallons.

kstoff
06-05-12, 06:02 AM
Cadillac came and picked the car up yesterday. I'll let everyone know what they say.

Chrispy
06-05-12, 11:17 AM
You likely killed the fuel pump.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-05-12, 11:43 AM
Cadillac came and picked the car up yesterday. I'll let everyone know what they say.
Glad to hear Cadillac is already working on a resolution, Kyle! I had posted on your other thread involving this concern, so I'll be sure to stay tuned to this one for updates.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Phil Raymond
06-05-12, 01:25 PM
Does anyone else not see the fact that the wife was idling the car in the garage long enough to run out of gas as an issue??? Is she still alive??? :hmm:

Even if there was only one gallon of gas in the tank, idling would take alot longer than running back into the house to reapply some makeup...

cdog533
06-05-12, 03:19 PM
Does anyone else not see the fact that the wife was idling the car in the garage long enough to run out of gas as an issue??? Is she still alive??? :hmm: Even if there was only one gallon of gas in the tank, idling would take alot longer than running back into the house to reapply some makeup...

Maybe she left it idling all day. Girls accidentally do that.

JimmyH
06-05-12, 07:20 PM
Thanks to keyless ignition, these days, alot of people leave their cars idling all day.

nynd
06-05-12, 07:53 PM
My bets are on what was already mentioned - the pump heated up and killed itself by being dry.

Dogbreath
06-06-12, 10:36 AM
It won't idle all day unless you turn the key on. Remote start only lasts for 10 minutes. And with modern cars you can pretty much fall asleep in the garage while they are idling and not die from CO. (I wouldn't try this though. :cool:)

baabootoo
06-06-12, 10:56 AM
Any update yet?

Moparman4444
06-06-12, 11:56 AM
I just wanted to say thank you for posting about running out of fuel in your garage. Im sorry but that made me smile and chuckle. I can see my wife doing the same thing. Not picking on you, just sharing your pain over wifes actions.

Hope you get it fixed soon.

neuronbob
06-06-12, 02:40 PM
One more reason for a louder exhaust. Your wife surely cannot deny you that request now!

tbauer
06-06-12, 04:17 PM
And with modern cars you can pretty much fall asleep in the garage while they are idling and not die from CO.

IM going to say thats not a very accurate statement. Being a Firefighter/Paramedic I've seen this many times with brand new and old cars, accidental and on purpose! It almost never has a good out come!

neuronbob
06-06-12, 07:38 PM
I agree with tbauer. Being a neurologist, I see the end result of this on a regular basis, both accidental and on purpose. It happens no matter the age of the car. Enclosed space + carbon monoxide = permanent brain injury if not caught soon enough.

Jimmygourmet
01-30-14, 06:03 PM
Well I just had the same issue. Ran out of gas while my 09 Escalade idled warming up, ran out of gas a few days ago and left it. Today added a gallon of gas and it wouldn't start... Vehicle was sitting with the rear up on a tall hill. rolled almost out of the driveway to try and level out and still nothing.. I waited 10 minutes, turned the key a few times before trying to start it, still nothing, just turning over.. I finally decided to roll out of the driveway down the hill and rolled up a little hill bringing the front end higher than the rear. Turned the key, and instantly she started right up! That was only with a gallon of gas..
These vehicles have the tendency to show much less gas when the rear is backed up a hill and visa versa, it shows more gas when pulling straight up a hill. Keep it level! Hope this helps! Jim

dmax/04v
01-30-14, 08:35 PM
Well I just had the same issue. Ran out of gas while my 09 Escalade idled warming up, ran out of gas a few days ago and left it. Today added a gallon of gas and it wouldn't start... Vehicle was sitting with the rear up on a tall hill. rolled almost out of the driveway to try and level out and still nothing.. I waited 10 minutes, turned the key a few times before trying to start it, still nothing, just turning over.. I finally decided to roll out of the driveway down the hill and rolled up a little hill bringing the front end higher than the rear. Turned the key, and instantly she started right up! That was only with a gallon of gas..
These vehicles have the tendency to show much less gas when the rear is backed up a hill and visa versa, it shows more gas when pulling straight up a hill. Keep it level! Hope this helps! Jim

What your saying is my Cadillac is like my boat..... except the caddy is worse on fuel than the 350sb in the disastercraft.

mr weather
01-31-14, 10:13 AM
I've observed the exact opposite in my V.

And I also try to not let it drop down below 1/4 tank.

Gary Wells
01-31-14, 11:29 AM
Maybe she left it idling all day. Girls accidentally do that.

Mine would only do that 1 time.
I guess I know why I am single.
Who had the car out last that should have refilled it?

caveman728
01-31-14, 05:24 PM
My wonderful wife ran out of gas in a different vehicle several years ago, and I had the same issue. Turns out that the fuel pump was inside the gas tank, and without fuel in the tank, the pump burns out quickly. I'm not saying that is the case with our V's, but something to think about. Good luck.

spearfish25
01-31-14, 06:01 PM
If having low fuel really burns out pumps, the V's would need new pumps all the damn time. My fuel tank is under half more often than not.

anxiouz
01-31-14, 07:06 PM
I hope it ends up not being too serious.

I've only had my car for a week and I already know to hit the gas station on the way home if it's nearing 1/4 tank. I can't imagine how low it could be where it could idle to empty!

GMX322V S/C
01-31-14, 07:50 PM
One person's experience: I have run her down to where it took over 17 indicated gallons to fill her up many times over the past 4+ years. It's my understanding that the pump is in a sump, so any amount of fuel should be able to get to it on level ground.

Sorry to hear of the OP's troubles, hopefully it's a cavitation/vapor lock/air in the line issue as one of the other posters suggests...

BigTymer
02-01-14, 05:59 AM
sometimes there can be gunk at the end of the tank as well... it could have clogged up the filter....

iVwishing
02-12-14, 03:03 AM
I ran out of gas in my 2002 Camaro SS some years ago. I thought I got lucky cause I was able to coast it right into a gas station. Filled up the tank, crank the car over but it never started. Towed to dealership and found it was a failed fuel pump from running the car near empty to often. Thankfully it was covered under warranty but EFI pumps are cooled by the fuel. Constantly running your car near empty will shorten the life of the fuel pump. I rarely go past 1/4 tank in all my cars before refueling!

pillaplease
02-12-14, 11:37 AM
I've observed the exact opposite in my V.

And I also try to not let it drop down below 1/4 tank.

Truth. I've found my V is the exact opposite from my previous vehicles in that it registers more gas when the tailpipes are up and nose down, rather than nose up, tail down. Does this mean that the gas gauge/floater is on the opposite end of the tank to measure gas levels compared to another car that operates the opposite way?

Hopefully you get your V back soon OP and hopefully it's nothing that serious. I hope your Cadillac dealer will take good care of you! I know mine does.

Best,
-pillaplease